• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Just popped in to say that of all the shooters that have come out over the past few weeks, I simply cannot pull myself away from this incredible game.

Every time I think about playing Titanfall or COD I just come back to this.

The immersion and the overall experience to me is unparalleled. DICE did a fantastic job with this one.

I completely agree. Haven't played a multiplayer this good in years.

Playing with a group is by far the best way to play this game. Co-ordinated attacks or defences feel so powerful.

Theorry

I love the game also. Hitting 80 hours already.
But still abit annoyed by the lack of some basic features at launch. Abit typical DICE.
And that such a game can have such a bad party system is abit of a shocker also.

I don't care for the new way of tracking medals. I like the prestige ones that took forever to get, these ones are just weekly. Aka I want my WWI version of the Phantom Program. Getting that bow felt super good even though it kind of sucked it was really fun to use. I kind of miss the special uniform camos and weapon skins for doing stuff. I like to go for the cool and hard to get things and this game doesn't have any of that that I know of.

I love the game also. Hitting 80 hours already.
But still abit annoyed by the lack of some basic features at launch. Abit typical DICE.
And that such a game can have such a bad party system is abit of a shocker also.

My biggest gripe is having only 4 operations maps.... I can get over all the rest of the stuff but 4 maps is a joke.

I know DLC is coming etc... but it's just not good enough. As for the game itself- I love it

terrible

Banned
One thing I'm surprised more people aren't talking about when it comes to balance changes is the frag grenade. I already have 260 kills with them in 49 hours. You can throw them 100m with perfect accuracy and the kill radius on them is huge. I rarely die from them because everyone seems obsessed with gas instead but if people ever catch on it'll be a nightmare. You can resupply them really quickly too. I don't think I even had this much success with minis in BF4 before they nerfed them.

Redders

One thing I'm surprised more people aren't talking about when it comes to balance changes is the frag grenade. I already have 260 kills with them in 49 hours. You can throw them 100m with perfect accuracy and the kill radius on them is huge. I rarely die from them because everyone seems obsessed with gas instead but if people ever catch on it'll be a nightmare. You can resupply them really quickly too. I don't think I even had this much success with minis in BF4 before they nerfed them.

You must teach me your ways! I have the same play time but only 109 kills.

You're right about not being killed by them, pretty sure the only explosive grenades I've been killed by are the anti tank ones.

Gas is overrated because every single soldier has a gasmask and hip firing is not that detrimental to accuracy. They'd be a lot stronger if you actually had to decide whether to roll with a gasmask or take an additional gadget.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just for once, it's nice to have a good reason to use shotguns in a battlefield game. FWIW the range is still pitiful compared to an actual shotgun.

The damage is stupid for the range though. Honestly, I'd be fine with the range is there was a STEEP damage drop-off. Having someone hit you from like 50 meters away with the shotgun is a bit "WTF."

The damage is stupid for the range though. Honestly, I'd be fine with the range is there was a STEEP damage drop-off. Having someone hit you from like 50 meters away with the shotgun is a bit "WTF."

50m is a massive overstatement. They need to be at least half that to do any real damage.

You're not supposed to say anything ... Let them stick to their mustard gas.

I just wish I could track different medals it's been the same 5 for me since launch :(

Edit: about the mustard gas discussion, I love it as most thw time no one puts their masks on and just die like bloody idiots.
That and sentry units lol

SpecX

I know the game hasn't been out for long, but is it too late to jump in? Looking for another shooter to tide over the Destiny drought and this has really caught my attention.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I know the game hasn't been out for long, but is it too late to jump in? Looking for another shooter to tide over the Destiny drought and this has really caught my attention.
Too late? How? @__@

You can't really be too late.

Sure people will know the maps better and sure people will have different guns unlocked but this game is definitely more about 'how' you play and luck of good team mates than it is about unlocks or higher gear etc...

Wow. You’ve really been keeping busy since the release of Battlefield™ 1. In the infographic below you’ll see some of the amazing stats you’ve contributed to in just over a week on the battlefield. We’re humbled by your efforts - thank you all for your great support. Let’s keep those numbers growing.
rendition1.img.jpg

Thank You For Launching With Battlefield 1/URL]

SpecX

You can't really be too late.

Sure people will know the maps better and sure people will have different guns unlocked but this game is definitely more about 'how' you play and luck of good team mates than it is about unlocks or higher gear etc...

Too late? How? @__@

Post above kind of covers what I mean by too late. I just don't want to jump into this and have little to no fun by being completely dominated on each and every map.

jeffc919

Post above kind of covers what I mean by too late. I just don't want to jump into this and have little to no fun by being completely dominated on each and every map.

If you are brand new to the BF series then you will have a fairly steep learning curve and that would have been the case even if you bought the game on release day. If you have played BF before then you will learn the nuances of this game quickly.

terrible

Banned
You're not supposed to say anything ... Let them stick to their mustard gas.

Gas is annoying but that's it. The only time I die from them is if I am already really low on health and someone throws gas and it kills me through a wall or floor. Other than that it's so easy to put your mask on. With a frag grenade by the time you know one is landing near you it's often too late. I don't know why anyone bothers with gas with frags being how they are now.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. It's not like you'll just get dominated because others have had more time with the game.

I played with a new guy yesterday. Funny story: I wasn't playing in a party or with a headset on. I was a little frustrated at this guy for vaping into his mic. I couldn't find the mute for his gamertag and out of frustration said "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD QUIT VAPING INTO YOUR MIC!". He awkwardly heard me say that thru my Kinect...

He was cool about it and we started talking. I apologized for being a dick. It was his first Operations map and I ended up showing him the ropes. He had a good time and learned fairly quickly.

I'm afraid that you're missing out if you don't give it a chance.

Spl1nter

Anyone prefer medipacks over the crates? It seems like I can hit people with packs from 15 yards away.
Yes the throw range is 15m. I prefer them over the crate. Let's you keep moving to escape or flank. I only used the crate in bf3-4 but in this game I prefer the packs.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Guys, I feel overwhelmed with sensory overload every time I play 64-player Operations. Every single time, without fail. Even my recent viewing of Hacksaw Ridge didn't quite deliver the "war" experience that this fucking mode delivers in BF1. This is the new generation of online gaming for me, and nothing has ever felt so intense and visceral. I know I've been singing this mode's praises for a while but there's something to say about a gameplay experience that after 25+ hours of play-time still makes my jaw literally drop and wonder in disbelief how it's all possible that this is happening on my screen.

I was not going to buy this game until I played Operations. This for me is now the epitome of the online war shooter experience.

vixlar

Anyone prefer medipacks over the crates? It seems like I can hit people with packs from 15 yards away.

The health crates in this game are insaneful big (I even question where they hide that stuff) and are easy to destroy. It seems packs are better now.

Guys, I feel overwhelmed with sensory overload every time I play 64-player Operations. Every single time, without fail. Even my recent viewing of Hacksaw Ridge didn't quite deliver the "war" experience that this fucking mode delivers in BF1. This is the new generation of online gaming for me, and nothing has ever felt so intense and visceral. I know I've been singing this mode's praises for a while but there's something to say about a gameplay experience that after 25+ hours of play-time still makes my jaw literally drop and wonder in disbelief how it's all possible that this is happening on my screen.

I was not going to buy this game until I played Operations. This for me is now the epitome of the online war shooter experience.

Dont worry, the fatigue will set in.

Nothing more frustrating than making that final push, getting on the new map, and then getting absolutely destroyed by some bad flags/spawns, and no reinforcements.

There are some spawns, particularly in one sector in Argonne Forest, that is so freaking close to the flag that it becomes near impossible for attackers to take.

This is after taking the hellish bunker in Monte Grappa. With no extra reinforcements, and with the train being pretty useless in this one sector, it's absolutely frustrating to coordinate a good win.

Some maps are just better than others, but the 3 flag sectors can be overturned so quickly, that it can become a game of wack-a-mole

I prefer the crate. Place it between a few friendlys in cover and let the points rise so fast . So good.

As a support I prefer the mini game "throwing ammo packs" though.

Nah, it's not too late. I'm quite shit at this game despite being a Battlefield veteran (didn't play 4 though), but it's still a blast, and once you figure out how to earn points (do objectives with an engaged squad) it's pretty easy to level up. The starting weapons aren't really massively inferior to later unlocks, and some of the guns you can earn within the first hour or two can end up becoming your favorites forever. There's definitely a steep learning curve, but as long as you don't sweat your KDR, you should be able to get a lot of fun out of it.

64-player Operations? Yeah... sensory overload is certainly one way to describe it, seeing as how none of the areas are even close to large enough to properly support 64 people.

Picked this up on sunday. What a game. Played about two hours of single player and it was really quite shocking and poignant. Thoroughly enjoyed what I've seen so far as a game (and it looks great graphically).

Jumped into multiplayer and seemed to land on my feet with a great team, all working together. I'm sure that won't be the case all the time...so the UK gaffer's, I'll be happy to join in if I can. I'd also appreciate people telling me what I'm doing wrong when applicable! I was big into bf1942 BITD, and played a little of BF4 but never really got to grips with it. Expecting a steep and the probably slow learning curve with this one as I can't put in the hours like I used to (this month especially as very busy with work n stuf)

Got the pro on pre order too so looking forward to seeing what that brings.

PS4 ID is kolmes

Xater

I just returned to BF1 after a short Titanfall 2 hiatus and man I still love this game. But I also hate it. Where is my mutiny update Dice?

Cryxo93

Banned
All these disconnections from servers mid match is ruining my enjoyment of the game. NAT types and ports are really not my idea of fun.

Top Bottom