• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Out of curiosity, how many people here play Support? Cause the more I play the more I feel like nobody does (except me, cause Support used to be my class in BF4). I kept an eye out for it and in three matches maybe 6-7 people (out of 64) were playing Support. And I think that's cause the LMGs in the game just suck. Since 50% of the classes are basically snipers who can kill you with 2 shots they are useless over a distance but since they also don't do a lot of damage they also can't compete with the Assault class. Plus Assault gets to be the Anti-Tank class while Support gets...well...Limpet charges which, as I said above, seem totally useless.
Am I just too slow to catch that Support is the worst class in this game? You can be honest.

I actually see quite a few supports in Rush and Operations, mostly due to how good the mortar is at attacking the control points. It's less effective in conquest, generally.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Out of curiosity, how many people here play Support? Cause the more I play the more I feel like nobody does (except me, cause Support used to be my class in BF4). I kept an eye out for it and in three matches maybe 6-7 people (out of 64) were playing Support. And I think that's cause the LMGs in the game just suck. Since 50% of the classes are basically snipers who can kill you with 2 shots they are useless over a distance but since they also don't do a lot of damage they also can't compete with the Assault class. Plus Assault gets to be the Anti-Tank class while Support gets...well...Limpet charges which, as I said above, seem totally useless.
Am I just too slow to catch that Support is the worst class in this game? You can be honest.
I only play Support. The LMGs aren't great but neither are Battlefield players so I still get the job done. I really like the suppression variants and the mortar is insanely ruthless.

Alpende

I see plenty of people playing Support on PS4 and I feel the LMGs are fine, quite strong too. I do agree that the Limpet charges are a bit weak. Also, if not a lot of players are playing Support I can rack up those resupply points.

terrible

Banned

Yeah the LMGs are outclassed in close quarters by Assaults and long range by Scouts and Medics by a large margin. The BAR Storm is a mid range beast though. IMO they need to completely scrap the whole spread starting high and decreasing after every shot thing, it was a really bad idea. It artificially increases the TTK on LMGs by way too much.

Was bored during a university class and decided to try out the companion app.
Ended up with an emblem, thought I might just as well share it:

512.png

Watcha guys think ;3?

I like the design since it's quite similar to mine. I just don't get the symbol on the bottom left. I also don't get what the previous poster said about not enough vagina.

It looks pretty cool when you see it on a tank or vehicle though.

McHuj

I really hated support at first and then something clicked and now it's my favorite class. I really like the LMG's. I just unlocked the BAR so I'm giving that a try.

I love playing support (unlimited nades)
I toss those ammo packs and kits like a maniac.

2nd is assault only because no one else seems to bother taking the tanks down.

3rd is medic tho if it wasn't for support my #1 would be medic

That's all the classes worth playing.

Support is my second most used class behind Medic. I like running around resupplying; it's an easy way to rack up a bunch of points while everyone is capping an objective. And if someone in your squad has a tank, you can act as a gunner and then hop out and repair when they get damaged. But the LMGs, with that stupid "inaccurate until you go full-auto" mechanic are a nightmare. If you're going to encourage me to lay down suppressing fire everywhere, then a gun with an ammo capacity under 50 is effectively worthless as I'll get two sustained seconds of fire and then a five second reload animation. That's driving me more towards Medic and Assault for sure.

This game needs to cycle through squad members every X minutes if a request is sent by a squad member to give an order, and that request is ignored.

The starting support gun is ridiculously crappy. It probably drives a lot of people away from the class. Also vehicles can heal themselves so the wrench isn't as critical as it used to be.

Theorry

Its pretty fun how the classes changed for me this game. Support always was my 3rd used class. Its now 2nd very close behind Assault. Medic is 3rd now. Just because of the guns really. They are sure good but dont think they are fun and best for flag rushing.

He i even play Scout sometimes with a sniper. I never used that in the last 3 games lol.
Iron sights sniping is fun. I also use planes alot in the game. They are easier so even i can do good. I never did that in BF3 or BF4 or even played in choppers. I just sucked at it and after 30 seconds i crashed into the ground.

Lender

Was listening to the final episode of Carlin's Hardcore History about WWI, and he's now talking about the Spring Offensive, otherwise known sometimes as the Kaiserschlacht. There was this heartbreaking and shocking quote that he pulled up that happened during the battle of a german soldier under barrage of french artillery. I actually sat there shocked when hearing it, and it actually makes me feel guilty in a way that I'm enjoying that Operations mission so much when you know these guys went through hell.

This is the story

French shells began to hit to the right and left of us, leaving human forms writhing in agony. Our advance came to a stop and after hesitating a few minutes we drew back while the artillery fire followed us, ripping large gashes in our formation - soon the French drumfire engulfed us, the air was filled with gas and flying pieces of steel.

We automatically mounted the machine gun for action. Then like animals, we burrowed into the earth as if trying to find protection deep in its bosom. Something struck my back where I carried my gas mask, but I did not pay attention to it. A steel splinter broke the handle of my spade and another knocked the remains out of my hand. I kept digging with my bare hands, ducking my head every time a shell exploded nearby.

A boy to my side was hit in the arm and cried out for help. I crawled over to him, ripped the sleeves of his coat and shirt open and started to bind the bleeding part. The gas was so thick now I could hardly discern what I was doing. My eyes began to water and I felt as if I would choke. I reached for my gas mask, pulled it out of its container - then noticed to my horror that a splinter had gone through it leaving a large hole.

I had seen death thousands of times, stared it in the face, but never experienced the fear I felt then. Immediately I reverted to the primitive. I felt like an animal cornered by hunters. With the instinct of self-preservation uppermost, my eyes fell on the boy whose arm I had bandaged. Somehow he had managed to put the gas mask on his face with his one good arm. I leapt at him and in the next moment had ripped the gas mask from his face. With a feeble gesture he tried to wrench it from my grasp; then fell back exhausted. The last thing I saw before putting on the mask were his pleading eyes.

Hjod

Banned
Was listening to the final episode of Carlin's Hardcore History about WWI, and he's now talking about the Spring Offensive, otherwise known sometimes as the Kaiserschlacht. There was this heartbreaking and shocking quote that he pulled up that happened during the battle of a german soldier under barrage of french artillery. I actually sat there shocked when hearing it, and it actually makes me feel guilty in a way that I'm enjoying that Operations mission so much when you know these guys went through hell.

This is the story

Carlin is great, I missed the episodes on WW1 but I'll give it a listen.

This is the first Battlefield that Conquest is unbearable. By far the worst mode. No sense of control, dying every two seconds because I've no idea where anybody is. Absolutely hate it.

Top of the board every mode every game, except Conquest where I'm dead middle every time with a near 1:1 KDR. Can't even play the objective because I can't fucking get to any of them.

Hate it.

Hawkie

Yeah, I'll be on at 10 for a round of Operations. Can only stay for 1 though as I'm getting up at 04:00 tomorrow to see the election results.

Is anyone on PS4GAF getting the season pass? I usually go for each DLC individually but I'm fairly confident I'll end up getting them all. And if everyone has it then we can do the new operations 2 weeks early.

I have it also. Have also noticed there's a "premium" queue for getting back into a server(after a d/c) /into your preferred one, rather than the standard one.

Orcus

I'll reply to both of your posts.

First off, it will get better as you learn the maps and new gameplay dynamics, but IMO support is the weakest of the classes. This is due to the LMG and kit limitations. The overarching theme is how situational everything they have at their disposal is. Their strongest assist is honestly the mortar, but it's really only useful in rush and operations, with an honorable mention going to suez and argon on conquest. Their LMG's are really only superior to any other class when bipoded on a locked down lane, which is pretty uncommon in BF1 due to the chaotic nature of the maps and spawns. In most one on one situations you lose, in fact you don't excel at any range and only come out ahead at the other classes weakest range. That being said you would think this would be a good general class then, but it's weapons get outclassed by almost everything and there kit items are probably the second worst in the game behind scout. About the only non situational advantage you have is the unlimited grenades via ammo packs. The LMG is less of an issue for PC players, as they can make better use of the BAR.

I really like what DICE has done with the distinct classes, but the support needs some adjustments to the LMGs, which is the core problem of the support class. The distinct classes is why their is no great anti-vehicle option for support. Relative to BF4, every class got a nerf against vehicles, with the non-assault classes getting inferior options compared to assault.

Basically, if you run support, you are relegated to ammo/repair bitch unless the situation happens to play to mortar or bipoded LMG. Otherwise you'll be more effective PTFOing in another class.

brawly

Just started this with a friend. It's a lot to take in.

He got a weapon in a pack (worth 270 currency) but can't find it. Why? Is it just a skin?

Just started this with a friend. It's a lot to take in.

He got a weapon in a pack (worth 270 currency) but can't find it. Why? Is it just a skin?

The stuff you get in those packs are all just skins, yeah.

Look for the weapon it was for and go to the customization options and change the skin there.

Orcus

The stuff you get in those packs are all just skins, yeah.

Look for the weapon it was for and go to the customization options and change the skin there.
They are just skins, except for the unique puzzle piece melee weapons, which equip like unique gear. They may just end up being skins as well, since I haven't seen anything on unique attributes for them.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This makes me feel a bit better about myself. I guess I'll try Assault, I love LMGs in games but they feel just insanely useless. At the very least they should do a bit more damage, it drives me insane that I can headshot an enemy soldier 2 times and they still don't go down.

The Dude

Yea I've used a lot of support lately and I think it needs a small, nothing to large but a small damage boost as there are times I unload into a dude and it's like holy shit is he a terminator lol

Hjod

Banned
I play alot of support and I think the BAR is really good, I almost always finish top 3, I usually have around 40 kills per operation map. Maybe I've only met bad players but I don't feel that the support class is under powered.

Sure I get alot more kills when I play Assault, destroying tanks and the like but I wouldn't count out the LMGs at all, in my opinion the BAR Storm is a beast.

Did they changed the probability of getting a battlepack? Getting one almost every 2 rounds of playing conquest.
Maybe I am just lucky, but i already got 7 battlepacks today.

On release week it was like 1 battlepack every 50 rounds lol.

Hjod

Banned
This game needs to cycle through squad members every X minutes if a request is sent by a squad member to give an order, and that request is ignored.

They should have a mutiny system in place for Behemoths, so the driver doesn't fuck everbody over. It has happened before and it sucks.

Orcus

This makes me feel a bit better about myself. I guess I'll try Assault, I love LMGs in games but they feel just insanely useless. At the very least they should do a bit more damage, it drives me insane that I can headshot an enemy soldier 2 times and they still don't go down.
Just remember that the Assault class is primary close range, some of the weapons are OK at medium range, especially the level 10 weapon, but generally their weapons are only effective at close to medium-close ranges. They do have one of the best, if not the best, weapon in the game, which is the model 10 hunter.

If you like medium/medium-long range engagements try the medic class or play an aggressive Scout class with the Infantry SMLE/Martin Henry. There are other good lever action and strait pull scout weapons that are also good for aggressive play.

Orcus

I play alot of support and I think the BAR is really good, I almost always finish top 3, I usually have around 40 kills per operation map. Maybe I've only met bad players but I don't feel that the support class is under powered.

Sure I get alot more kills when I play Assault, destroying tanks and the like but I wouldn't count out the LMGs at all, in my opinion the BAR Storm is a beast.
I think the BAR is a top tier gun on PC, but on console managing the recoil demotes it below other weapons IMO. You have to try and manage the recoil at full auto, which on console means I can only handle 1-2 enemies before reload, or you tap fire to push that to 2-3 enemies, but then the TTK is too low. Maybe I just need to "get gud", but that had been my experience. When I first unlocked the Storm version I was estatic with how it felt and shot, but the more I lost engagements I would win with other weapons the more my enthusiasm died. You can tell from twitch/YouTube that PC is a completely different story.

bosseye

What the hell am I missing GAF - I can't fire the flame turrets in a flame tank. Nothing happens. I can fire the machine guns etc fine.

I even spawned in an empty server, loaded myself a flame tank and I definitely can't fire the flames.

I did ask this a few hundred pages back, but didn't see an answer, so apologies if anyone already responded.

What the fuck am I missing? Is it class specific? I'm assault.

I've been playing mostly Support cause I love handing out ammo to everyone and repairing vehicles. Support and Medic are my favorites since you can contribute in ways that aren't just shooting dudes and that always made them feel like more uniquely "Battlefield" sort of classes among FPS games.

The telescopic BAR is my go to support gun. Its got decent range but sure, most of the LMGs could use a damage boost. I've run into many occasions where I have the jump on somebody and unload into them meanwhile they've got their A-10 shotgun and just one shot me from range.

Beyond the LMGs, mortars can be good for Rush and Operations. But I do wish there was something else gadget wise for Support players. Or maybe even just adding more variety to the types of mortars beyond just the airburst and high explosives?

I actually see quite a few supports in Rush and Operations, mostly due to how good the mortar is at attacking the control points. It's less effective in conquest, generally.

Yeah, that's been my experience too. Granted, I've mostly been playing Rush and Operations and not much Conquest so that's almost exactly why I've been playing as Support so much. The more open ended nature and flow of Conquest generally means that sitting down at your mortar just means you're a sitting duck.

Orcus

What the hell am I missing GAF - I can't fire the flame turrets in a flame tank. Nothing happens. I can fire the machine guns etc fine.

I even spawned in an empty server, loaded myself a flame tank and I definitely can't fire the flames.

I did ask this a few hundred pages back, but didn't see an answer, so apologies if anyone already responded.

What the fuck am I missing? Is it class specific? I'm assault.
Hold down the trigger longer? It takes a bit to ignite. Also, if you're in a vehicle and the seat position is red on the HUD, then that gun is disabled until the tank is repaired.

Edit: Also, check for custom trigger pulls on controllers or worn triggers. DICE seems to have added support for analog triggers and some only fire at 100%, which doesn't work in some situations.

bosseye

Hold down the trigger longer? It takes a bit to ignite. Also, if you're in a vehicle and the seat position is red on the HUD, then that gun is disabled until the tank is repaired.

Tried that, nothing. I'm sitting in a pristine flame tank on an empty server, I can skip round all the seats firing guns except for the two flame turrets, they do nothing.

What! The fuck!

bosseye

I'm going to have to assume this flame tank issue is a bug that only affects me and like 3 other people on Google who have the same issue.

Seriously annoying.

bosseye

Edit: Also, check for custom trigger pulls on controllers or worn triggers. DICE seems to have added support for analog triggers and some only fire at 100%, which doesn't work in some situations.

Ahhhhhh, dayum. It's this. If I press R2 in a deathgrip, and I mean seriously crush it into the body of the pad, flamethrower works. Genuinely hurts my hand after a couple of seconds though, I have to grip it that hard. It's the same on both my pads.

How odd, that can't be normal. One pad is launch and old so maybe it's dying, but the other is pretty new.

terrible

Banned
I saw more medics throwing med kits and reviving in one game with GAF than I have seen in my previous 50+ hours playing solo combined. Ridiculous lol.

5taquitos

Ahhhhhh, dayum. It's this. If I press R2 in a deathgrip, and I mean seriously crush it into the body of the pad, flamethrower works. Genuinely hurts my hand after a couple of seconds though, I have to grip it that hard. It's the same on both my pads.

How odd, that can't be normal. One pad is launch and old so maybe it's dying, but the other is pretty new.

You can use the PS4 accessibility settings to swap your L2/L1 and R2/R1. Not ideal, it would be nice if Dice enabled this in-game.

Top Bottom