• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

I wouldn't say the Model 10 is easy mode though. You'll get abused in the open, where as the smg's can compete where as the shotguns do nothing.

But in close quarters I win so many more engagements against groups of opponents than I would with an smg, that's where the power is.

Keep repeating it, you might actually start to believe it :p

The gun needs a nerf, saying otherwise is just a confession of using it too much.

Random17

I've only ever played Oil of Empires once.

Operations matchmaking and the lack of server browser is absolutely infuriating. I don't want to be put into a game by myself. Not a fan of Conquer Hell as the Argonne Forest is a mess, Monte Grappa has the bullshit bunker, and I can never find games on Oil of Empires.

Thankfully Kaiserschlacht is quality. But I'd say it's too easy for the attackers right now; it's the only balanced Operations map, but the number of tickets being increased was largely due to the stalemate in the other maps. Kaiserschlacht is balanced; the enemy can be stopped at literally at nearly every sector. I think seen one game lost on each individual sector at least once, with an exception to Amien's first sector. 200 would be ideal.

The Dude

The gun needs a nerf, saying otherwise is just a confession of using it too much.

But in open field you will get owned with it lol i have some kills with it but I'll shred more people with hellriegel or some medic guns in open field than the hunter.

It needs a nerf but the attributes of the gun which you quoted the guy on are actually not the reason it needs a nerf..... - see below

But in open field you will get owned with it lol i have some kills with it but I'll shred more people with hellriegel or some medic guns in open field than the hunter.

The dude has it bang on. Open field is a death trap for shotty. Close quarters it SHOULD be killing people one hit. People crying nerf for that is like crying when a tank blows you up.

Random17

I'm more concerned about the fact that the shotty is far too easy to use compared to the other guns, especially via hip fire.

Rather than a traditional nerf, I wouldn't mind a decrease in its ROF + significant hip spread increase. Hell you could even increase the range... but only if people aim down the sight. Maybe add a small movement + stance penalty as well.

Has anyone experienced messed up cavalry spawns?
This morning I spawned without a horse and just now I spawned as a Tanker on a horse.

So many times our guys will spawn as a pilot with no plane (outside of area) or as a tanker without a tank etc....

Apparently if you select the tank/cavalry or plane right before match starts it limits this happening.

If you try to deploy early on the game buggers up

I'm more concerned about the fact that the shotty is far too easy to use compared to the other guns, especially via hip fire.

Rather than a traditional nerf, I wouldn't mind a decrease in its ROF + significant hip spread increase. Hell you could even increase the range... but only if people aim down the sight. Maybe add a small movement + stance penalty as well.

I don't use it much from hip (unless gassed) because I find the hip fire spread gets me hit markers more than anything. If hip fire is a problem I'm all for that nerf since I always quick scope ADS anyway haha.

Once again I do disagree that it's "easy to use" when compared with other guns. To get a good score you do need to play to it's strengths, use cover, be quick on the finger, flank people etc....
I'd say the hellriegel is the easiest gun to use.

The Dude

That's how most shottys work in like every game since the beginning of time hah I dunno, Im used to it. Like I said I'll show my kills, I use the hunter but it's not like Im sniping people across the map with it

That's how most shottys work in like every game since the beginning of time hah I dunno, Im used to it. Like I said I'll show my kills, I use the hunter but it's not like Im sniping people across the map with it

I too, think it's time I record a game and stream it.

Normally I get around 40-50 kills a game, sometimes much more, sometimes much less but only once or twice a game will I get a kill that even I admit is from stupid range.

Trust me when I say it's alot more to do with being a good player than simply 'lol gun does it for you'

Theorry

The Dirtini is maybe the most fun gun i used in a Battlefield game.

untitled6ns3m.png

The Dude

I too, think it's time I record a game and stream it.

Normally I get around 40-50 kills a game, sometimes much more, sometimes much less but only once or twice a game will I get a kill that even I admit is from stupid range.

Trust me when I say it's alot more to do with being a good player than simply 'lol gun does it for you'

Exactly, I don't think anyone can just pick it up and automatically go get 50 kills willy nilly. Even if someone kills me with guns or skills I never cry for nerf, I learn how to battle as I feel it makes me a better player. Because any weapon can feel op in the right hands.

I mean with the hellriegel I've finished dudes off like a hundred miles away with a little tap action

Xyber

If one shotgun is the go-to shotgun, there is a reason for it. No other shotguns compete with the Model 10 and seeing how it's basically the only thing you use Disagree Guy (and everyone who uses shotguns), it's because you and them agree it's the best one and then a tweak is needed. A nerf doesn't have to make it useless, they just need to tweak the range it can 1HK people a bit to make it more in line with other shotguns.

The hunter variant can still be the shotgun with the best range, just a bit less than now. Being a pump action should have some perks, so the slow fire rate is a good balance to a longer range.

Exactly, I don't think anyone can just pick it up and automatically go get 50 kills willy nilly. Even if someone kills me with guns or skills I never cry for nerf, I learn how to battle as I feel it makes me a better player. Because any weapon can feel op in the right hands.

I mean with the hellriegel I've finished dudes off like a hundred miles away with a little tap action

raw

I feel like we'd be friends.

If one shotgun is the go-to shotgun, there is a reason for it. No other shotguns compete with the Model 10 and seeing how it's basically the only thing you use Disagree Guy (and everyone who uses shotguns), it's because you and them agree it's the best one and then a tweak is needed. A nerf doesn't have to make it useless, they just need to tweak the range it can 1HK people a bit to make it more in line with other shotguns.

The hunter variant can still be the shotgun with the best range, just a bit less than now. Being a pump action should have some perks, so the slow fire rate is a good balance to a longer range.

Oh I'm well aware it's more OP since the patch. It's just not as frequently a OHKO from distance as people like to make out. As I say I use it all the time and have 25 nearly 26 service stars but only 1 or 2 per game I'd consider a stupid OHKO. Other than that I need to hit them a good 3 or 4 times from medium and if I can outshoot someone with a shotty from medium range.... It's not the gun that's allowing me to win.

Saying 'because it's the best it needs a tweak' isn't really a good enough arguement. I could say maybe the others need a buff?

I might do an experiment and use a different shotty and see if I can prove my point. If I still smash it anyway......

Surfinn

You guys are misunderstanding me, not saying they SHOULD be removed, just that infantry play would be both more balanced and fair.

I prefer to get blasted away by a shotgun user whom I have a chance to kill rather than constantly sniped by three folk lying in the mountains four miles away who instantly pick me off as soon as I spawn and I am literally defenseless - even if I try to snipe back there's three of them so I get picked off anyway.

If anything should be removed it's sniping, not shotguns.

But really: nothing should be removed. That is a slippery slope. As much as I hate snipers and you hate shotguns, people have different playstyles and enjoy different thngs.
Nah I'd rather be killed out in the open than one clicked just trying to cap a flag.

One click kills really destroys the competitive feel of gunplay. That's better suited for hardcore mode.

The range should at least be nerfed. I got one shot at mid-range multiple times yesterday. It's just more frustrating than anything else because it just doesn't feel like you've ever got a fair chance against it unless you abuse the same broken mechanic, which I don't wanna do. Of course I'm still able to perform well and it won't keep me from playing it trying to keep my team win, but well over half of my deaths on the forest map come from shotguns.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I really dont see what's so great about Operations. Sure, its "cinematic" the first few times, but it seems like a statpadding clusterfuck.

Conquest feels much more fun to me.

I wouldn't have even gotten this game if it weren't for Operations. Lol

I've tried Conquest a couple times and can't stomach playing to the end. It feels so lifeless and inconsequential compared to Operations. I enjoyed it in BF3 and to a lesser extent BF4, but I have no use for it this game.

You guys are misunderstanding me, not saying they SHOULD be removed, just that infantry play would be both more balanced and fair.

Nah I'd rather be killed out in the open than one clicked just trying to cap a flag.

One click kills really destroys the competitive feel of gunplay. That's better suited for hardcore mode.

The range should at least be nerfed. I got one shot at mid-range multiple times yesterday. It's just more frustrating than anything else because it just doesn't feel like you've ever got a fair chance against it unless you abuse the same broken mechanic, which I don't wanna do. Of course I'm still able to perform well and it won't keep me from playing it trying to keep my team win, but well over half of my deaths on the forest map come from shotguns.

I was right there with you until the last bit.....

Obviously a large portion of your deaths will be shotty on that map. It's practically the only map where shotty is perfectly suited! haha

That's like moaning that half my deaths are snipers on Suez. Yes it's annoying but it's the best gun for that scenario.

terrible

Banned
When a gun has absolutely zero counters within its effective range you really have to be careful not to make that effective range too large. With the Model 10 it's pretty clear that they went too far. There aren't enough guns that compete with a Model 10, it's pretty much completely free to dominate close range.

In BF4 there are so many guns with quick TTKs that can punish a shotgun user for not being precise so it sort of balances out better. That's not the case with BF1. You have the automatico and that's it pretty much. That shotguns have such a low skill floor only makes it more annoying!

In a perfect game shotguns and snipers wouldn't exist ;)

Xyber

Oh I'm well aware it's more OP since the patch. It's just not as frequently a OHKO from distance as people like to make out. As I say I use it all the time and have 25 nearly 26 service stars but only 1 or 2 per game I'd consider a stupid OHKO. Other than that I need to hit them a good 3 or 4 times from medium and if I can outshoot someone with a shotty from medium range.... It's not the gun that's allowing me to win.

Saying 'because it's the best it needs a tweak' isn't really a good enough arguement. I could say maybe the others need a buff?

I might do an experiment and use a different shotty and see if I can prove my point. If I still smash it anyway......

I think the other shotguns feels just fine though, so it would be way more work buffing everything else when all that is needed is to slightly bring back the 1HK range on one gun.. I don't think it's crazy OP like a lot of people who cry about it, but it does have a big enough advantage over the others that I see no need to ever use anything else if I want to switch up my SMG assault play.

Surfinn

I was right there with you until the last bit.....

Obviously a large portion of your deaths will be shotty on that map. It's practically the only map where shotty is perfectly suited! haha

That's like moaning that half my deaths are snipers on Suez. Yes it's annoying but it's the best gun for that scenario.
But it's not like that. If you're getting sniped more than once or twice you're doing something wrong. It can easily be avoided in conquest. If you want to cap flags, you're getting in shotgun range on the forest map no matter what. I get that shotguns are more suited but I do think you should have a closer competitive edge with other weapons.

Or maybe that maps just not for me since it essentially calls for shotgun abuse.

I think the other shotguns feels just fine though, so it would be way more work buffing everything else when all that is needed is to slightly bring back the 1HK range on one gun.. I don't think it's crazy OP like a lot of people who cry about it, but it does have a big enough advantage over the others that I see no need to ever use anything else if I want to switch up my SMG assault play.

I'd agree it's range is alot more effective than the other shotty - apart from the Slug variants. The 12g blatantly has the best range with the slug - it's just you need to hit bang on or you die.

Post-patch the model 10's range definitely feels increased but I stand by my statement that only 1 or 2 kills per game feel ridiculous.

I'll record a game tonight.

But it's not like that. If you're getting sniped more than once or twice you're doing something wrong. It can easily be avoided in conquest. If you want to cap flags, you're getting in shotgun range on the forest map no matter what. I get that shotguns are more suited but I do think you should have a closer competitive edge with other weapons.

Or maybe that maps just not for me since it essentially calls for shotgun abuse.

Suez on operations I was referring to and capping the flags is a death trap because after the long distances you need to travel they can get you while you are capping... snipers are rife on that.

Yeah the map of Argonne is definitely shotty fest. You don't see that many used on other maps. Most flag caps are shotty range anyway mate haha.

As I say - around 5% of all kills are shotty....

Surfinn

When a gun has absolutely zero counters within its effective range you really have to be careful not to make that effective range too large. With the Model 10 it's pretty clear that they went too far. There aren't enough guns that compete with a Model 10, it's pretty much completely free to dominate close range.

In BF4 there are so many guns with quick TTKs that can punish a shotgun user for not being precise so it sort of balances out better. That's not the case with BF1. You have the automatico and that's it pretty much. That shotguns have such a low skill floor only makes it more annoying!

In a perfect game shotguns and snipers wouldn't exist ;)
This is more of what I was trying to say.

Yeah, but none of them have the same OHK power even past point blank range like the 10-A. It's ridiculously powerful. I get that shotguns are supposed to be the kings of CQB, but the 10-A is just too much in its current state.

Well yeah fair enough then haha

Expect a gameplay link later or tomorrow guys. More research required!

The Dirtini is maybe the most fun gun i used in a Battlefield game.

untitled6ns3m.png

I'd even go one further and say it's the most fun gun I used in any game, ever. It's so good. And that awesome sound....

So many times our guys will spawn as a pilot with no plane (outside of area) or as a tanker without a tank etc....

Apparently if you select the tank/cavalry or plane right before match starts it limits this happening.

If you try to deploy early on the game buggers up

Dice being Dice I guess :)

Surfinn

I'd agree it's range is alot more effective than the other shotty - apart from the Slug variants. The 12g blatantly has the best range with the slug - it's just you need to hit bang on or you die.

Post-patch the model 10's range definitely feels increased but I stand by my statement that only 1 or 2 kills per game feel ridiculous.

I'll record a game tonight.

Suez on operations I was referring to and capping the flags is a death trap because after the long distances you need to travel they can get you while you are capping... snipers are rife on that.

Yeah the map of Argonne is definitely shotty fest. You don't see that many used on other maps. Most flag caps are shotty range anyway mate haha.

As I say - around 5% of all kills are shotty....
I don't find shotguns an issue on any other maps, aside from the occasional "sigh" here and there. It's totally different in Argonne.

I feel like more precise aim with one shot kills would be more fair.

JDB

Banned
Shotguns will never disappear. It wouldn't make sense. Personally I'd quit this game for good if they removed all shotguns. If they nerf the Model 10 - which they won't anyway - then I'd just use a different shotty but I don't want to have the option removed completely.

You could say that about loads of this game. Sniping, behemoths, tanks etc...
The things I would do for a BF game without scoped snipers.

JDB

Banned
Also, regarding the Model 10; I think they just need to make it a bit harder and riskier to use, not less powerful. Give it a tighter spread, slower rate of fire, that sort of thing. That keeps the gun fun and powerful while also not being piss-easy for anyone who unlocks it.

The Dude

Too much damage and too much effective range. It renders the other shotguns obsolete, which I consider a very big problem.

But this is a game where a good portion of the time it's who sees who first, I've used other shotguns and can lay waste just the same given the right circumstances

But this is a game where a good portion of the time it's who sees who first, I've used other shotguns and can lay waste just the same given the right circumstances

No, that's more CoD and Titanfall which have crazy fast TTK's, you can get shot at and still have a chance to return fire in BF1

Raven77

Am I the only one who misses the Levelution stuff? Sure some of them were kind of goofy but when it worked, I thought it worked really well. My favorite being the ship that would beach itself during the storm. I just feel like although it wasn't perfect, they could have built upon it and not scaled it back to what we have in BF 1. I like the dynamic weather, I like the air ship crashing, etc. but I was really eager to see what they would do with it in a WW 1 setting and was hoping for more.

The Dude

No, that's more CoD and Titanfall which have crazy fast TTK's, you can get shot at and still have a chance to return fire in BF1

Yea but not every time, that's why I said a good portion. Cod is a shit fest with its ttk, here while the ttk is better it doesn't mean if you catch someone first they aren't most likely dead. My point stands, if I am using another shotgun and someone doesn't see me coming they will die just as easily to it

JDB

Banned
Speaking of TTK; It's so much better than BF4 where everything killed you in a split-second. Being able to at least properly identify where you're getting shot from most of the time before dying straight away takes away a lot of frustration.

Well, except for when you get killed by shotguns :>

jeffc919

This morning I spawned without a horse and just now I spawned as a Tanker on a horse.

This has happened to me quite a few times. Spawning as a cavalry in a tank (and losing the repair ability as a result), spawning as a pilot in a tank (might not even notice that since he can still repair), spawning as a tanker with no tank (this sucks but oddly I seem to always have my tank waiting for me after I die and respawn).

The Dude

Speaking of TTK; It's so much better than BF4 where everything killed you in a split-second. Being able to at least properly identify where you're getting shot from most of the time before dying straight away takes away a lot of frustration.

Yea, it's what I hate about call of duty. The ttk is so ridiculously stupid there is no sense of battle because people are wiped instantly. Battlefields ttk is pretty spot on perfect imho

THEaaron

That is why I hate modern combat scenarios. The weapons are at a point of efficiency where it is just not fun anymore. The more you tone down the TTK, the less skill is actually involved in each encounter.

I used to have it happen all the time but I figured out how to stop it. It will only happen if you select a tank/plane/horse and press x before the match starts. To avoid it, press left/right/up to reserve your vehicle, but don't press x until the match starts and other players start to spawn; you can mess with your loadout etc, just don't press x. I've never had it happen again using this method.

Palmer_v1

Is there a set of maps that show where all the emplaced guns are for Conquest mode? I never seem to remember where they are.

The only things I have problems with as far as actual gameplay:

- "Sniping" tanks. It's way too easy to sit on a hill and rack up kills with basically no way for anyone to approach you. I don't have a problem with a defensive tank being hard to kill, but they're laser accurate. I think their should be some amount of inaccuracy to their shots.

- Spawning system. It is way too common to see people spawn directly into the line of fire.

- Aircraft. I think the normal bomber and attack planes are fine, but the variants seem lackluster. I wish they were a viable way to kill tanks, but they don't seem to be. The Fighter planes, I haven't used much, but I feel like I only ever see the one kind.

Marc

Yay, got some half-decent headphones with mic to replace the PS4 mic that comes with it. Might be able to hear people now.

Wow, can't believe I missed this last night. That is amazing.

Shotguns will never disappear. It wouldn't make sense. Personally I'd quit this game for good if they removed all shotguns. If they nerf the Model 10 - which they won't anyway - then I'd just use a different shotty but I don't want to have the option removed completely.

Yeah, after playing with the level 1 shotgun last night it is crazy how much easier it is to get kills. I went from about 20-10 kills recent average on TDM to about 26-3 without even finishing the round. Going to play more with it tonight as it may be a one off and I'm all over the place with K/D.

I'm not in favour of nerfs in general, I think other weapons should get buffs to catch up. Only slight nerf to shotguns I would make is bodyshots being two hits and headshots one (with a big window to hit obviously) and lowering the range. That seems fair. With I think medics and supports needing a buff where there stands 'some' chance of a 1v1 with assault at mid-close range being a contest. The advantage should always be with the assault though as that's the whole point of it. But 1v1 out of 100 attempts at close range with a good medic and good assault, I think it would be at least 90 wins for assault. Which seems too favourable.

Only gun for me! Over 2,100 kills with it now. Only time I find it takes too many shots to kill is from a longer range, otherwise I find it great to take on SMGs at close range due to the high rate of fire and being able to keep control, while being decent at medium range. Can't use the sweeper myself.

Need to try this out after your recommendation last night, you wreck it every round I'm in as a medic. That damage stat is putting me off though, as I said above I feel the medic guns are already weak in 1v1 but I guess the DPS is higher?

Orcus

That is why I hate modern combat scenarios. The weapons are at a point of efficiency where it is just not fun anymore. The more you tone down the TTK, the less skill is actually involved in each encounter.
I wouldn't say there is less skill involved, it's just that there is less opportunity for skill to be the determining factor. It's a tough balance, too high a TTK and everyone feels like a bullet sponge and you swing to the arcadie/arena feel, too low and you reduce the chance for gunplay skill to be the primary factor in most engagements.

Lender

battlefield111.22.201rfsez.jpg

This fucking idiot with his 75-1 during attack on operations. Total jackass. Just kept flying over the battlefield at high altitude, contributing nothing at all, and then having the nerve to start boasting about his score. You stupid bastard.

The Dude

battlefield111.22.201rfsez.jpg

This fucking idiot with his 75-1 during attack on operations. Total jackass. Just kept flying over the battlefield at high altitude, contributing nothing at all, and then having the nerve to start boasting about his score. You stupid bastard.

He was lucky to play against scrubs, because going 75 and 1 means one thing....they had zero competent pilots and zero ground turrets going.

Top Bottom