• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Why am I so bad at this game. Got to GE at CS GO, pretty good at overwatch and was pretty good at titanfall, but in this fucking game man, I dunno. I'm just not used to the slower pace I guess? I just find myself running around and dying to a shot out of nowhere all the time.

What's a good way to play this game solo? I'm pretty much forced to as I have to play on asian servers and no one communicates anyway. I'm a total newb to the franchise

Donos

Flamethrower on 64ppl Conquest Amiens... it's like i'm the Grim Reaper. As normal soldier you turn on a corner and stumble on a 4 man squad... usually it`s a big "oh shit" with maybe managing to throw a grenade and maybe taking 1 guy out ...

As Flamethrower it's "HELL YEAH" while the squad tries to scramble away. I prefer the FT to the Sentry because you can't see shit on the receiving end of the flame.

Why am I so bad at this game. Got to GE at CS GO, pretty good at overwatch and was pretty good at titanfall, but in this fucking game man, I dunno. I'm just not used to the slower pace I guess? I just find myself running around and dying to a shot out of nowhere all the time.

What's a good way to play this game solo? I'm pretty much forced to as I have to play on asian servers and no one communicates anyway. I'm a total newb to the franchise

Solo is very tough on this game.

Learning the maps is the best way. You quickly learn which areas to avoid.

I'd also recommend Operations as a game mode because you don't get randomly spawn killed like in all the other modes. Personally I run SMG/Shotty and just go full on objective force.

Failing that, friends of mine state that sniping is quite good if you are a solo player

Redders

Does the loss not break the win-streak if I wasn't there to experience it? haha

Nitro and I should be back on tonight.

Pretty sure it still counts haha.

We have a few more excuses, first 2 sectors of Monte Grappa we had 5 less players than the attacking team which certainly doesn't help as we didn't hold them for very long. Great balancing there DICE.

Recall's PS4 froze with 2 sectors to go on Empires Edge and he couldn't join back in.

Pretty sure it still counts haha.

We have a few more excuses, first 2 sectors of Monte Grappa we had 5 less players than the attacking team which certainly doesn't help as we didn't hold them for very long. Great balancing there DICE.

Recall's PS4 froze with 2 sectors to go on Empires Edge and he couldn't join back in.

rrr.gif

I don't to want hear your excuses.

I'll be on tonight. The win streak will climb again.

I'm 90% sure I'll be on too. Someone's gotta organise this bunch of peasants haha

You just have to get a bit of practice and learn how the flow of the battles works. A lot of it just comes down to intuition from having already played a lot of the franchise and knowing maps well.

Just has fun with some dude. I was getting tired of him shooting down our planes because our team wasn't capping "A" on Monte Gappa, so he had the AA all to himself. I was feeling a little trolly so I took it upon myself to make sure he wasn't touching our planes anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1lW7E3pIzc

I really don't understand why text chat isn't a thing on the console versions. It's mind boggling. And not using the "chat would be toxic anyway" excuse. If PC gamers can have it, why can't we? The consoles support keyboards no problem. They cost £1 at the Supermarket. Pisses me off.

I really don't understand why text chat isn't a thing on the console versions. It's mind boggling. And not using the "chat would be toxic anyway" excuse. If PC gamers can have it, why can't we? The consoles support keyboards no problem. They cost £1 at the Supermarket. Pisses me off.

Yeah I've often wondered this....

Was really struggling to form a squad with friends before going into a game on PS4. Is it possible? Or do you just have to join a friend already in a game?

Was really struggling to form a squad with friends before going into a game on PS4. Is it possible? Or do you just have to join a friend already in a game?

All join a party

Party leader chooses to find a game - everyone else gets a 'join game' request.

Then you can all chat in party before it starts.

Went 76-10 last night on operations on Iron walls, if you can get a tank near b bunker you can destroy everything.

Yeah we've been against this. Light Tank parked right at the doorway. The guy ran over 100 kills to 0 deaths.

Create a party using the OS level party system - nothing in-game at this point. Then, with all party members at the main menu, have someone join a match. Every other person in the party will get a prompt to follow.

abuC

Attacking on Monte Grappa and someone spawned into a tank and just sat in the spawn using the mortar the entire round and didn't move forward once, we lost of course but he finished 3-0 so he did his part, right?

PaNaMa

Banned
I wonder what winning an Operation as Attackers is like...

As others have said, since the last update attackers have been trouncing folks with their bonus 150 tickets ...they just steamroll now, for the most part. If more people just used smoke and jumped on flags instead of sniping from back in the spawn, attackers wouldn't have needed the extra 150 tickets to begin with.

KDR over the years has so many players brainwashed. They'd rather stay 100m out from a flag, and not contribute significantly to its capture, than congregate near the objective so we can cap it and win. All because they don't want to risk potentially dying to secure the objective. Lol at all the 30-3 snipers who score in the bottom 10% every map and think they are doing it right.

As others have said, since the last update attackers have been trouncing folks with their bonus 150 tickets ...they just steamroll now, for the most part. If more people just used smoke and jumped on flags instead of sniping from back in the spawn, attackers wouldn't have needed the extra 150 tickets to begin with.

KDR over the years has so many players brainwashed. They'd rather stay 100m out from a flag, and not contribute significantly to its capture, than congregate near the objective so we can cap it and win. All because they don't want to risk potentially dying to secure the objective. Lol at all the 30-3 snipers who score in the bottom 10% every map and think they are doing it right.

I can confirm attacking is massively OP now. It's hard to lose an attacking run....

We have snipers when the gafsquad plays but they kill people trying to cap flags whereas most just live for KDR like you say. It's sad....
They should give bonuses for killing people on flags. At least it would convince snipers to actually help.

terrible

Banned

I'd kill to have K/D removed from all shooters pretty much. It'll never happen but even something as simple as just not tracking deaths at all would probably cause a huge shift in how players play. Total kills would become the pretty stat to look at instead of K/D and for the most part the easiest way to boost that would be to be in the middle of battle 24/7. People are way too scared to die in shooters and removing any record of deaths would stop that.

I'd kill to have K/D removed from all shooters pretty much. It'll never happen but even something as simple as just not tracking deaths at all would probably cause a huge shift in how players play. Total kills would become the pretty stat to look at instead of K/D and for the most part the easiest way to boost that would be to be in the middle of battle 24/7. People are way too scared to die in shooters and removing any record of deaths would stop that.

You can't view a friends stats anyway iirc

Which means it's literally pointless anyway?

I sometimes get negative KDR and although I'd like to boss it and be in the pos - it's all about the win

terrible

Banned
You can't view a friends stats anyway iirc

Which means it's literally pointless anyway?

I sometimes get negative KDR and although I'd like to boss it and be in the pos - it's all about the win

You can see their stats on the companion website/app. I obviously can't speak for everyone but I think people just like seeing they have a high K/D for themselves more than anything though.

Day of Defeat was a game that sort of did what I'm talking about. In the older betas they kept track of score, deaths, and objective captures only. People would snipe for kills only sometimes but in order to get a good score they had to be in the middle of battle at least.

Meccs

Anyone know why the game runs on 60 for me with 64 players and after half an hour it tanks to 30-40ish every time? I restart it and it's back to 60. Seems like a memory leak or similar.

Pastry

Banned
The new map is probably like 2 or 3 weeks away so I'm assuming we'll get some news soon?

I think the first free Battlefront map came out on like December 18th?

Surfinn

I think having to identify accurately identify your target as a foe and firing requires more skill.
Considering enemy uniforms change every single game, this is a silly priority. What does it add to the game? Removing spotting results in an increase of skill? That's a core mechanic of the BF franchise and promotes teamwork.

Marc

I think text chat would be challenging on console and people will miss out with keyboard unless they type it with controller (fuck that).

Voice to text on the other hand, that would be awesome. That should be a general ps4 feature though, not game specific.

Went 76-10 last night on operations on Iron walls, if you can get a tank near b bunker you can destroy everything.

Gary?!

Xyber

They don't take forever to get*

*if you only play Operations (and are a top 1% player)

My friend has gone from 0 to 10 with sniper over the last week and we have barely touched Operations. If you spread of your playtime over the classes it will of course feel like it's taking forever to get them all to 10.

Now, I can definitely agree that getting tanker/pilot to ten really takes quite some time. I finally got my tanker class to 10 last week and I have been using the heavy tank a lot (currently 1600 kills).

terrible

Banned
My friend has gone from 0 to 10 with sniper over the last week and we have barely touched Operations. If you spread of your playtime over the classes it will of course feel like it's taking forever to get them all to 10.

Now, I can definitely agree that getting tanker/pilot to ten really takes quite some time. I finally got my tanker class to 10 last week and I have been using the heavy tank a lot (currently 1600 kills).

After 74 hours I only have one class at level 10.

Smilax

Bought a 4 pack of Gamer Fuel (Monster Energy) hoping to get 4 battlepacks, ended up getting 10 from the code. Feels good man.

Xyber

After 74 hours I only have one class at level 10.

Amount of hours doesn't really mean anything. If you are just a sniper who sits at a rock, never spots people, never uses flares, of course it will take forever just to get sniper to 10 even if it's the only thing you play.

It's all based on your score per minute. I was around 80 hours when I hit 10 on all standard classes, but I also had a fairly high SPM (from constantly playing the objective and supporting the team). Even if you only had half my SPM, you should easily have gotten 2 classes to 10 if you focused on them. But then again, I don't feel like any other class than Assault is really worth focusing on just to get to 10. The Hellriegel is great, the other lvl 10 weapons ranges from good to bad.

In my opinion people care too much about unlocks, especially when there are better or similarly good weapons available at rank 3 already. Play to have fun, not to unlock shit.

Recall

I really wish I could have tripmines and flareguns on a non-scout class as they are fun items but I've levelled scout up and I don't want to snipe ever again.

terrible

Banned
Amount of hours doesn't really mean anything. If you are just a sniper who sits at a rock, never spots people, never uses flares, of course it will take forever just to get sniper to 10 even if it's the only thing you play.

It's all based on your score per minute. I was around 80 hours when I hit 10 on all standard classes, but I also had a fairly high SPM (from constantly playing the objective and supporting the team). Even if you only had half my SPM, you should easily have gotten 2 classes to 10 if you focused on them. But then again, I don't feel like any other class than Assault is really worth focusing on just to get to 10. The Hellriegel is great, the other lvl 10 weapons ranges from good to bad.

In my opinion people care too much about unlocks, especially when there are better or similarly good weapons available at rank 3 already. Play to have fun, not to unlock shit.
I mostly only play Domination and I'm at the top of the leaderboard most rounds and my SPM is still only ~700. It really does take a long time for most people to get classes to level 10, we're not all just making it up lol. SPM is heavily dependant on game mode so even if you are decent it can take forever. If you're an average or below average player that plays modes that net you less XP we're probably talking hundreds of hours to get level 10 in all the classes.

The idea is to play to have fun, that's why having guns behind long unlock processes is worth complaining about imo. It prevents players from being able to fully enjoy all the content in the game.

Okay, I gotta admit that playing Scout can be fun if you push the objective and stay midrange. I'm really liking the bolt-action iron sight sniper and the flare gun is super useful. After I use both flares I feel completely helpless, though.

Surfinn

Lol, yup. Shot six or seven of them down on Fao yesterday.

Bombers are advantageous up high, they're way too slow and easy a target to be swooping down low like I see most people doing.

People would be surprised at the heavy tank's range on planes. Once you get the trajectory down, you can straight up snipe bombers AND fighters (I think I'm at 61 stars with heavy tank now).

I'm at the point where if you're flying your bomber at me and the nose is tipped down in line with my shot, you're not flying away. It's pretty easy actually once you give yourself a few practice shots. Most tanks don't even look up.

You can actually put yourself in position after they bomb to get another shot at them flying away too. That's usually how I hit fighters.

You can also get very close shots on bombers that are turning at a low altitude too (and even some fighters).

Top Bottom