• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

man I swear the load times have gotten worse each time I play

completely kills the momentum :/

On PC anyway, I feel like performance overall took a big dive for me after this update. For whatever reason, I'm getting big hitches where the game just totally freezes for 5 seconds or so before coming back and that never ever happened before.

terrible

Banned
I like playing with my try hard guys for wins and my KD is usually decent in squad games but it is usually much better when I play alone with randoms. I am mainly a infantry player that likes to rush points and defend points from being back capped. Playing with a group of try hards who are kill hungry vultures will lower your kill count a bit if you are actually moving with the squad.

I could go 0-0 and as long as I win I'm happier than if I went like 30-5 and lost. I hate losing!

Why can't I find the new rifle mode? Am I blind?

It's under custom games or something like that.

Makikou

Man I suck in this new Battlefield. I skipped the beta as I was quite uninterested but felt like playing an FPS now so I picked it up for 40eur.

Went to play Domination and holeee shit i'm so bad nowadays. I can barely get a top 5 scoreboard result.

Also I'm not sure I like the Warbonds system..

terrible

Banned
LMGs are finally good. Good stuff DICE. They have a clear role that they're good at now without having massive disadvantages that cancel out the positives. I think I like all the LMGs to some degree at this point. Even the Huot is usable.

Acinixys

Warbonds mean absolute shit once you find the weapons on a class that you like. I have something like 11,000 just sitting there.

I only unlocked all the grenades and melee weapons

For every other class I only have two or three weapons unlocked

I understand why they did it this way, to balance the playing field by not locking all the weapons behind levels

I only unlocked all the grenades and melee weapons

For every other class I only have two or three weapons unlocked

I understand why they did it this way, to balance the playing field by not locking all the weapons behind levels

But they are behind levels too. At least class levels.

Model 10 is OP and i love it, just running around 1 shotting people and them getting mad>>>>
What i do hate about hate assault is that if you do use a shotty, you have no protection for people that are mid range to far

Yeah it's hilarious. Last night defending Monte Grappa (second B bunker) Gaf had four players above 70 kills..... Like wtf....

I was getting like three to four kills every time I spawned (before immediately getting blammed by like 6 LMG guys). We weren't even inside the bunker! Just created a mobile defence force around it. The model 10 is incredible.

It just got "nerfed" as well. And its due to class balance.

It didn't haha. I was purposefully TRYING to get long range kills again to prove that point last night and I got like 5 or 6 defending the church on Monte Grappa. They've once again tried to nerf it but imo they've increased the range killing capability again although - you do need to aim for the upper chest/head or it's still a two bang from around 20-25m

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Maaaaaaaaaaan I'd really, really, really love for DICE's technical team to seriously reduce the amount of sharpening TAA introduces when combined with resolution scaling. The covering is very nice but fuck me the sharpening is so aggressive. Normally I'm again post processing AA, but I'd happily use it here if the image wasn't sharpened so badly.

I feel it's being applied after the scaling when it really should be applied before. Like in my case render at 130% res scaling from native 1440p, apply TAA, then scale back down to my 1440p display.

Maaaaaaaaaaan I'd really, really, really love for DICE's technical team to seriously reduce the amount of sharpening TAA introduces when combined with resolution scaling. The covering is very nice but fuck me the sharpening is so aggressive. Normally I'm again post processing AA, but I'd happily use it here if the image wasn't sharpened so badly.

I feel it's being applied after the scaling when it really should be applied before. Like in my case render at 130% res scaling from native 1440p, apply TAA, then scale back down to my 1440p display.

cletus-spuckler-the-simpsons-movie-51.2.jpg

How I feel when I read this.....

What does that mean to a techno n00b like me?

Makikou

Any GAF group on PC? Is there a clan feature or something like that in BF1?

I got a mic and like to chat while playing. I'm not a huge Conquest fan but Rush, Domination etc is fun. My origin is makikouz

chiliboy

Any GAF group on PC? Is there a clan feature or something like that in BF1?

I got a mic and like to chat while playing. I'm not a huge Conquest fan but Rush, Domination etc is fun. My origin is makikouz

GAF discord, 1st page of this OT for information :)
We are a few people that play regularly.
origin: steelchiliboy

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
cletus-spuckler-the-simpsons-movie-51.2.jpg

How I feel when I read this.....

What does that mean to a techno n00b like me?

Aliasing is an side effect of rendering 3D assets, producing a jagged staircase effect on angled edges.
Anti-aliasing techniques aim to reduce or eliminate aliasing for more defined edges and clearer, more believable imagery.
Anti-aliasing techniques come in many forms and flavours with pros/cons as anti-aliasing in general is very difficult to implement.
Expensive (as in, to the framerate) techniques are complex mulit-sampling of the image and assets as they are rendered, or supersampling (very high resolution). Most effective, but very expensive on the hardware performance.
Cheaper techniques are usually post processing, meaning the image is rendered as-is usually without anti-aliasing, and algorithms comb over each rendered frame to smooth out edges. Cheaper because they're less technically demanding and "brute force", at the cost of not always producing a desired final image quality (as the anti-aliasing may 'blur' the final image a bit to smooth out aliasing instead of smoothing out during rendering).
Due to numerous factors modern engines in particular have a very difficult time doing rendered anti-aliasing (like MSAA and SSAA), the most effective, and instead usually rely on cheaper post processing AA. The quality of post-processing AA can vary wildly. Sometimes it's quite effective, cheap to render, and leaves a desirable image quality. Sometimes it's badly implemented, overly aggressive in its coverage, and blurs the image.
In most post processing anti-aliasing solutions a "sharpening" post processing render is also applied. Pretty much all post-processing anti-aliasing solutions will blur the image to some extent (that's why it's so cheap and efficient), and sharpening exists to offset it a little and retain some degree of clarity to the final image.
Badly implemented sharpening post processing unfortunately results in a weird grainy look to the edges of objects as the sharpening renderer is trying to compensate the anti-aliasing blur with a cheap, fake effect.
This hurts overall image quality as the game looks oddly grainy at times.

In Battlefield 1 on my hardware I am using two methods of "anti-aliasing".
The first is "resolution scale", which is supersampling, the first type of anti-aliasing I spoke about. This renders every single frame at a resolution higher than what my monitor can output, so each frame has more "information", and thus downsampled to my display helps reduce aliasing with high quality and very little blur and sharpening. This is an effective method of anti-aliasing, but also very expensive.
I have also applied TAA (temporal anti-aliasing), which is the second type of effect; post processing anti-aliasing that is applied after the image is rendered in full and using edge detection algorithms approximates and blurs remaining aliasing for maximum image clarity.

Unfortunately Battlefield 1's resolution scale anti-aliasing applies a slight sharpening post processing to the image after it's downsampled to my monitor display, and applies another to the TAA. So my image when both are inable are double sharpened, resulting in a weird, obviously grainy look to edges.

It's not horrendous, but it's highly unnecessary. The solution on my end when it annoys me is to simply turn off the TAA post processing anti-aliasing and stuck with just the resolution scaling anti-aliasing. But the combined effect of resolution scaling and TAA, sharpening excluded, is brilliant at eliminating aliasing across the entire image. Very nice quality. The doubled up sharpening, or more aggressive sharpening, whichever it is, from the two combined is just a very unfortunate side effect that I hope DICE address in future patches.

I've learnt something today. I've heard of Aliasing, but had no real idea what it was.

Out of interest could you post some screens of what your game looks like after you've fine tuned it? I'm assuming this is a PC thing so it's interesting to me as a PS4 pro user to see the difference.

Not as a 'my shit's better than your shit' or whatever, but just out of interest.

EatChildren

I've learnt something today. I've heard of Aliasing, but had no real idea what it was.

Out of interest could you post some screens of what your game looks like after you've fine tuned it? I'm assuming this is a PC thing so it's interesting to me as a PS4 pro user to see the difference.

Not as a 'my shit's better than your shit' or whatever, but just out of interest.

Not the best example, but I just made this. A better example would be more than just a single object, but a scene with lots of trees or a city or something. Lots of hard edges.

bf12016-12-1520-25-43xts9g.png

Aliasing is a "problem" for everyone as it's just a technical hurdle with 3D rendering and something developers are still trying to find solutions to. Different engines have different means if implementing anti-aliasing. Before the advent of modern engines (most of which use what is called deferred rendering) anti-aliasing solutions like MSAA (multi-sampling aliasing) were viable, if expensive, and very effective as they weren't post-processing solutions. But deferred rendering engines, which are very efficient at approximating complex effects cheaply, do not play well with MSAA. So it's like we had one really great anti-aliasing solution that is no longer compatible with modern engines, that in turn are capable of more complex and impressive rendering anyway. Pros and cons of technical leaps.

Not the best example, but I just made this. A better example would be more than just a single object, but a scene with lots of trees or a city or something. Lots of hard edges.

bf12016-12-1520-25-43xts9g.png

Aliasing is a "problem" for everyone as it's just a technical hurdle with 3D rendering and something developers are still trying to find solutions to. Different engines have different means if implementing anti-aliasing. Before the advent of modern engines (most of which use what is called deferred rendering) anti-aliasing solutions like MSAA (multi-sampling aliasing) were viable, if expensive, and very effective as they weren't post-processing solutions. But deferred rendering engines, which are very efficient at approximating complex effects cheaply, do not play well with MSAA. So it's like we had one really great anti-aliasing solution that is no longer compatible with modern engines, that in turn are capable of more complex and impressive rendering anyway. Pros and cons of technical leaps.

It's subtle but you can definitely tell the difference. That's a really good explanation.

Cheers mate

Lazy Lemmy

Neo Member
You can definitely be wary of your kd ratio as well as long as it doesn't trump objectives. Personally I'm a kd guy, it's my own personal gage of how I feel I'm doing in terms of combat. So while I know a lot of Battlefield players say don't care about it, I say care about it as long as you can still help the team with the objectives. Because those kills do help and count, that's why it's a game where that's what we're doing the whole match.

But it's a whole different ballgame from cod, and once you learn the flow you'll be alright

As long as you balance it with the SPM you're laughing.

I sit around a KDR of 2.1 with a SPM of around 800, which I think is a decent balance of combat and objective work :D

As long as you balance it with the SPM you're laughing.

I sit around a KDR of 2.1 with a SPM of around 800, which I think is a decent balance of combat and objective work :D

Mine is well off skew

My KDR is like 1.36 but my SPM is like 1380

My KDR looks average but my SPM is much higher than average. That's due to relentless objective capture/defence in Operations. My KDR is low because I run shotty.

SPM largely is dictated by class use aswell. Scout will always find it harder to get a top SPM when compared with other classes because their guns lend to the ability to sit back so the extra capture points just don't come up much.

Ravek

Banned
So the medic class.

I've been reading everyone's post and trying to adhere to the advice given.

I ended up choosing the Selbstlader Factory. For my play style it feels the most balanced and I feel more capable and effective defending. And IMO, I think I'm starting to see that
yes finally
that the medic class is more of a defensive class and clearly not aggressive. Obviously I'm sure some of you would disagree, but that's just my opinion.

I played with my buddy last night and I ended up going 24-20 and fourth place on my team and we ended up winning the match. I got a shit ton of revives and heals in so I guess I should be happy with it.

I'm gonna keep playing the class and see if it gets better but at the moment I'm not having that much fun with it.

So the medic class.

I ended up choosing the Selbstlader Factory. For my play style it feels the most balanced and I feel more capable and effective defending. And IMO, I think I'm starting to see that
yes finally
that the medic class is more of a defensive class and clearly not aggressive. Obviously I'm sure some of you would disagree, but that's just my opinion.

I played with my buddy last night and I ended up going 24-20 and fourth place on my team and we ended up winning the match. I got a shit ton of revives and heals in so I guess I should be happy with it.

I'm gonna keep playing the class and see if it gets better but at the moment I'm not having that much fun with it.

Based on the last point alone I'd change class. There is no point forcing yourself if you aren't enjoying it.

It'll just lead to you hating the game.

So the medic class.

yes finally

To be honest, I just don't enjoy playing the Medic class for the most part, nor do I enjoy the Medic weapons. So I don't play the class very much.

Ravek

Banned
Based on the last point alone I'd change class. There is no point forcing yourself if you aren't enjoying it.

It'll just lead to you hating the game.

Yeah I think I might. I was trying to be decent at all the classes but I'm starting to think it's not worth it anymore.

Yeah I think I might. I was trying to be decent at all the classes but I'm starting to think it's not worth it anymore.

With the DLC not out til March this game will start to get stale quite soon.

Sure, with all the xmas n00bs joining in it'll add a little more fresh meat to the slaughter but you are going to want to enjoy it haha

my advice, and take that as you will, is to find a class you enjoy and just try to perfect it. You can use the shit guns when the new DLC comes out and the game feels brand new again haha

And using squad orders to farm points by marking objectives teammates are taking and then switching back to the one your squad is taking gives you a ton of points too. SPM says nothing about a player really.
How can you say this? A high SPM tells you that the person plays the objective frequently. A person with a K/D and SPM means they are very efficient at playing. A person with a high K/D and low SPM most likely camps back. I don't understand how you can just wave off stats like it doesn't give an idea if a person's efficiency. I feel like this is done by people with average stats. The fact of the matter is someone with a high score in both categories, as well as win is just better than you. Trying to belittle how the person received a high SPM because they used a system in the game is incredibly petty.
Well the thing is, nobody wants to nod to kd, nobody wants to nod to SPM, what stat then is the one people will accept, just overall score?
If a person has a great number in all if this, including win/loss, they are a good player.

How can you say this? A high SPM tells you that the person plays the objective frequently. A person with a K/D and SPM means they are very efficient at playing. A person with a high K/D and low SPM most likely camps back. I don't understand how you can just wave off stats like it doesn't give an idea if a person's efficiency. I feel like this is done by people with average stats. The fact of the matter is someone with a high score in both categories, as well as win is just better than you. Trying to belittle how the person received a high SPM because they used a system in the game is incredibly petty.

If a person has a great number in all if this, including win/loss, they are a good player.

Rate my stats

85% win ratio
1380 SPM
Around a 1.3 - 1.4 KDR

49 service stars Model 10 (most in UK)
2.8mil score Assault

Only 253 games played haha

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Rant time! Come along folks and enjoy the hate.

I think support class is making me hate the game. ive had two very frustrating nights with barely any wins. My KDR sucks which i dont care about much but it is frustrating to die 5 times in a row in less than a minute. The LMGs are just too heavy to use, by the time i start firing the enemy has already gotten the first few shots in. i did much better in domination going 10-1 and 9-2 most rounds at the end of the night, but those rounds are over in a flash and its no fun waiting in post match/loading screen/pre match screens for like 3 minutes after a 5 minute round.

I like playing Operations but getting 10-15k points in 25 minutes is not rewarding at all. since i keep losing more games than winning, i dont get the bonus either. Even when i did win a round, i only got 40k points instead of the the 50k+ points im used to getting with medic and assualt on a 2.5x major victory. They really need to make sure the losing team gets at least a 1.25x or 1.5x bonus for every enemy battalion they hold off.

Another reason why its so frustrating is because i feel like ammo isnt really as useful to earn points as healing. i would drop a med pack in a bunker and earn like 500 points just like that. with ammo i get maybe 60 points. repair tool is useless now that tanks can heal themselves but i do appreciate the crossbow so i can take out tanks at a distance without going on a suicidal run to drop the mine.

And lastly, i have just been playing poorly lol. I still end up at the top of my team but I feel i am personally responsible for the team losing because of not finishing off kills that allow them to take objectives with just a few tickets left and not taking objectives because i failed to go on streaks i just go on with my medic and assault classes. Last night on the very last battalion we got them down to zero tickets but they took both objectives as died like a little bitch three times in less than a minute.

What's everyone's favorite LMGs? I want something that is quick and snappy, good sights and has more than 20 bullets.

Oddly enough, my SPM is still higher than it was for assault and medic but thats probably because i mostly played domination with those two classes.

1Gp7pk8.png

Rate my stats

85% win ratio
1380 SPM
Around a 1.3 - 1.4 KDR

49 service stars Model 10 (most in UK)
2.8mil score Assault

Only 253 games played haha
You actually play the objective. If I saw you on the other team I'd think to myself: "Okay, Squidge is going to be so annoying because he's always on the objective. I better watch my surroundings carefully.
Plus he is a dirty shotgun user huehuehue
".

Valtýr

Something that I read that I wanna confirm. Is 100 resolution scale not 1:1 with your native res? The game defaulted to 100 and the performance has been frustrating. I read that native resolution scale is something like 42. This true?

You actually play the objective. If I saw you on the other team I'd think to myself: "Okay, Squidge is going to be so annoying because he's always on the objective. I better watch my surroundings carefully.
"Plus he is a dirty shotgun user "huehuehue

If you saw me on the other team your first thought would be -

"Ignore that guy - Redders is 5k score more" haha

To be fair I know my stats are above average but pretty much all of UKps4Gaf are around the same skill wise. It's ridiculous really.

wilsonda

The autoloader extended is a mid range destroyer... easy enough to spam and decent damage and magazine count

I'm now really enjoying the medic class

I'm still top 1% for cavalry. I don't know why more people don't use it. Half the time I don't even use the horse. I just dismount and melee everyone. The sword has ridiculous lunge range and you still have extra health even after you dismount. It's pretty much like a hero pick up.

I like playing Operations but getting 10-15k points in 25 minutes is not rewarding at all. since i keep losing more games than winning, i dont get the bonus either. Even when i did win a round, i only got 40k points instead of the the 50k+ points im used to getting with medic and assualt on a 2.5x major victory. They really need to make sure the losing team gets at least a 1.25x or 1.5x bonus for every enemy battalion they hold off.

Another reason why its so frustrating is because i feel like ammo isnt really as useful to earn points as healing. i would drop a med pack in a bunker and earn like 500 points just like that. with ammo i get maybe 60 points. repair tool is useless now that tanks can heal themselves but i do appreciate the crossbow so i can take out tanks at a distance without going on a suicidal run to drop the mine.

And lastly, i have just been playing poorly lol. I still end up at the top of my team but I feel i am personally responsible for the team losing because of not finishing off kills that allow them to take objectives with just a few tickets left and not taking objectives because i failed to go on streaks i just go on with my medic and assault classes. Last night on the very last battalion we got them down to zero tickets but they took both objectives as died like a little bitch three times in less than a minute.

What's everyone's favorite LMGs? I want something that is quick and snappy, good sights and has more than 20 bullets.

Oddly enough, my SPM is still higher than it was for assault and medic but thats probably because i mostly played domination with those two classes.

1Gp7pk8.png
First things first, the MG.15 is a solid LMG. The Bar is my favorite but you don't want guns with only 20 in a magazine, so try that. Secondly, if you're constantly dropping ammo pouches/crates to everyone you see, you'll get a decent amount of miscellaneous score. Not as much a medic, but a good amount. Staying around B bunker in Monte Grappa also helps.

Thirdly, just learn from your mistakes and know the maps; Awareness helps you get the drop on opponents and get easy kills. If you use the MG.15 and get behind the enemy team, you will get a 5 piece easily.

Plus he is a dirty shotgun user huehuehue
".

I dont think its possible to actually play the objective and have a K/D higher than that

Theorry

The people i know with a higher K/D ratio than that also have a much lower score per minute and lower skill rating than me. That to me are people who dont PTFO as much

The guys i play with and myself have all arround 3 kd and 1100 to 1400 SPM. And we PTFO like crazy. Top 4 of the team is usually us.

I dont think its possible to actually play the objective and have a K/D higher than that

The guys i play with and myself have all arround 3 kd and 1100 to 1400 SPM. And we PTFO like crazy. Top 4 of the team is usually us.
My two friends that I play with have SPM close to that. 1288 and 1240 respectively. One has a 2.91 k/d and the other has a 3.57. It's doable. I have a 920 SPM but it's going up.

Yeah that's definitely skill.

UKps4Gaf usually has top 10 as all gaffers in every single game.

Usually the same people near the top but all of us have good KDR/SPM. It's only me with terrible KDR around 1.3 but it's just not possible to be a shottie user and have a higher much KDR whilst also playing objective. It's just not possible lol.

Ending an operation either attacking or defending with over 20k score is a sign of a good player. It's as simple as that.

Last night we were getting 38-40k for defending Monte Grappa and that's before the bonus haha

My two friends that I play with have SPM close to that. 1288 and 1240 respectively. One has a 2.91 k/d and the other has a 3.57. It's doable. I have a 920 SPM but it's going up.

yeah thats good.

I play on ps4 pro, im consistently on top of the leader-board in pretty much 90% of the games i play in and my stats are:

K/D: 1.40
Score/Min: 914.32
Skill: 409.64

And thats with me being on top most of the time on ps4. Stats also depend on the platform youre on i think.

Theorry

But i must say SPM gets less and less a factor if the game is longer out.
First if you play Operations the most you probably have a higher SPM then if you play CQ the most. And now the game is longer out the changes of someone from your group having a squad boost is also bigger. And we get 2XP events in the future. Wich influences SPM way to much.

The sharpening wasn't in the beta, god knows why they turned it up so much for the final game. This guy found the parameter for the sharpening, but you can't change it.

As you can see it's set to 4 in BF1, and only 0.1 in Battlefront.

Top Bottom