• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

G_Berry

Banned
Why don't you all wait to play before you bitch about the damage. I'm guessing you will bitch anyway though.

I never had an issue with the damage model in the alpha, but I'm not shit at games. Most of the plebs moaning about it were running around in the open asking to get shot. If this is you, then you will die. Unlucky. But don't punish the rest of us because you too stupid to use over etc etc

Spl1nter said:
Im a bigger fan of 3-4 bullets and 2 for headshot.
I'm okay with more if it's like in Counter-Strike. There you can see the impact points, so if you're pumping bullets into a leg, arm, or whatever, then yeah, it feels fine. Likewise, when you get that perfect headshot and get a one hit kill, or go for the chest and bring him down in 2-3 shots, it feels right.

In BC2 I never feel that. The marker changes to indicate I'm hitting someone, but I don't get that same sense of feedback. My aim is over their chest, and I'm shooting bullet after bullet, but they lack that same impactful feel and just soak them up. It feels 2x or even 3x too much most of the time.

It's the reason I don't like Halo etc. I hate holding down a trigger and hitting someone half a dozen times without them dying. I know these games aren't sims, but they're in realistic settings and I want 2-3 bullets to kill someone because of that.

Firing lasers at other players on a level that is set on a planet shaped like a ring is hardly realistic, Lol. Also doesn't help said players are wearing 10 ton armor with a rechargeable shield... lol..ughhh.

Edit: I do understand where you're coming from though.

Makoto

The problem is the weapon recoil/spread for the assault rifles in particular is so small that it makes BC2 look like Counter-Strike 1.6 in comparison. If they're going to increase damage, at least increase the recoil and the weapon spread. In Alpha, it was waaaaaaaay too easy to take people out in general with any automatic weapon. In my opinion, it's the main reason why the Attackers had such a hard time getting anywhere.

Dynamic3

Spl1nter said:
Im a bigger fan of 3-4 bullets and 2 for headshot.
2 for headshot sounds crazy to me, I think you should reqarded for taking the risk of aiming for a smaller target. I think a little more power than in BC2 sounds about right.

So we get our key via email ~12a somewhere, then can dl at 8a EST?

Spl1nter

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm okay with more if it's like in Counter-Strike. There you can see the impact points, so if you're pumping bullets into a leg, arm, or whatever, then yeah, it feels fine. Likewise, when you get that perfect headshot and get a one hit kill, or go for the chest and bring him down in 2-3 shots, it feels right.

well something that im sure they are still balancing is drop off damage. That way it is only 2-4 bullets to kill someone but only within 20m and then by 100m out it takes 4-5. I like that system personally. Makes cqb tense and quick but allows for players to move around the map without instantly dying because they were spotted.

mr_nothin

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:

In BC2 I never feel that. The marker changes to indicate I'm hitting someone, but I don't get that same sense of feedback. My aim is over their chest, and I'm shooting bullet after bullet, but they lack that same impactful feel and just soak them up. It feels 2x or even 3x too much most of the time.

It's the reason I don't like Halo etc. I hate holding down a trigger and hitting someone half a dozen times without them dying. I know these games aren't sims, but they're in realistic settings and I want 2-3 bullets to kill someone because of that.
CSS is a good example (and 1 I use a lot). SMGs/weak pistols can hit someone up to 5-8 times(direct hits) or up to 10-12 times (through wood) without killing them. 1 good placement of a bullet in someones face shuts them up instantly most of the time. But there's also tons of recoil/spread.

*CSS USED to be a good example until they did this recent update that effed up pretty much everything from netcode to damage model to recoil. :(

Spl1nter said:
well something that im sure they are still balancing is drop off damage. That way it is only 2-4 bullets to kill someone but only within 20m and then by 100m out it takes 4-5. I like that system personally. Makes cqb tense and quick but allows for players to move around the map without instantly dying because they were spotted.
They already did that in the alpha after a late update. It would take 1 more bullet to kill someone after a certain distance and they upped recoil.

Metro is pretty close quarters so people can go full auto a lot more.

G_Berry

Banned
vidal said:
The problem is the weapon recoil/spread for the assault rifles in particular is so small that it makes BC2 look like Counter-Strike 1.6 in comparison. If they're going to increase damage, at least increase the recoil and the weapon spread. In Alpha, it was waaaaaaaay too easy to take people out in general with any automatic weapon. In my opinion, it's the main reason why the Attackers had such a hard time getting anywhere.

So the attackers were unable to shoot?

The problem with attacking was that the spawn system was broken. Nothing else, unless you had a team of nubs.

I won loads of games as the attacking team, some where we steamrolled the defenders quite easily.

mr_nothin

Banned
G_Berry said:

The problem with attacking was that the spawn system was broken. Nothing else, unless you had a team of nubs.

I won loads of games as the attacking team, some where we steamrolled the defenders quite easily.
Also, spotting was broken.

Foliorum Viridum said:

This, pretty much. I'm fine with higher bullet damage if it's within the believability of the universe. I don't like bullet sponge modern shooters, for the most part.

I'm just really hoping SMG's are balanced well now. SMG's should almost always beat AR's in CQB, but AR's should almost always beat SMG's at long range.

SEE DICE
THAT WAS EASY TO FIGURE OUT

2-3 bullets is still enough to react and kill someone. In some cases it's not if that person gets you from behind or is a great shot, but it's not the case that if you get shot at all you're dead with no chance to retaliate. In CS/COD I often get shot once or even twice and still manage to spin around, aim, then kill the other guy with a slither of life remaining. Feels so good!

I think the view a lot of people have that 2/3 shots are enough to kill you without any time to fight back is completely wrong.

mr_nothin said:
CSS is a good example (and 1 I use a lot). SMGs/weak pistols can hit someone up to 5-8 times(direct hits) or up to 10-12 times (through wood) without killing them. 1 good placement of a bullet in someones face shuts them up instantly most of the time. But there's also tons of recoil/spread.

*CSS USED to be a good example until they did this recent update that effed up pretty much everything from netcode to damage model to recoil. :(
Yeah, CS is still the absolute standard for me. The damage system in that game is pretty much perfect.

If I pump lots of bullets into someone in any other game it feels spongey, but in CS it's just perfect. No-one has been able to replicate the perfect shooting model and also give you the same sense of feedback from your bullets.

Makoto

G_Berry said:

Then the defenders were bad. Defense requires stationary guarding of an objective. Attacking requires that actually move to your objective. Defending B in Area 1 of Metro Alpha was extremely easy to do because of it's placement and the overall design of the area. Mix this with the fact that Operation Metro consists of mostly open fields (which is why Digital Illusions added so much cover in the beta) and you've got attackers who have to choose between (1) moving to their target in exposed areas, or (2) staying in a safe spot and firing back at the defenders. Tactic (1) got them spotted by the Defenders who proceeded to take them with weapons that had little to no recoil, making their job much easier than it would be in BC2. Tactic (2) got nothing done for the Attackers and basically made the game a matter of waiting for tickets to run down.

To say squad spawning is the sole reason why Attackers had a hard time is pretty bombastic. Is it one reason? Sure, but it's not even close to being the primary reason. Map design and weapon design, those were the reasons.

G_Berry

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
2-3 bullets is still enough to react and kill someone.

Yeah, the alpha was good like that. lots of indicators showing where you getting shot at from, on screen and audio.

Nothing more exiting than moving around in and out of cover while your getting shot at "CRACK" "CRACK" bullets whizzing over head. The higher damage model makes you take more care. Pretty cool feeling.

G_Berry

Banned
vidal said:
Then the defenders were bad. Defense requires stationary guarding of an objective. Attacking requires that actually move to your objective. Mix this with the fact that Operation Metro consists of mostly open fields (which is why Digital Illusions added so much cover in the beta) and you've got attackers who have to choose between (1) moving to their target in exposed area, or (2) staying in a safe spot and firing back at the defenders. Tactic (1) got them spotted by the Defenders who proceeded to take them with weapons that had little to no recoil, making their job much easier than it would be in BC2. Tactic (2) got nothing done for the Attackers and basically made the game a matter of waiting for tickets to run down.

To say squad spawning is the sole reason why Attackers had a hard time is pretty bombastic. Is it one reason? Sure, but it's not even close to being the primary reason. Map design and weapon design, those were the reasons.

Dude, the attackers even got a light tank to assist, it wasn't hard. So many people blamed the weapons and lack of recoil for the attackers having a hard time but the attackers are able to shoot as well.

People played like one game, got owned and cried on forums instead of getting better at the game. It's a sign of the times.

G_Berry said:
Yeah, the alpha was good like that. lots of indicators showing where you getting shot at from, on screen and audio.

Nothing more exiting than moving around in and out of cover while your getting shot at "CRACK" "CRACK" bullets whizzing over head. The higher damage model makes you take more care. Pretty cool feeling.
Yup, absolutely. When you know running across an open space can be your death you have to think about how you play exactly. In BC2 the only real worry I have is snipers who can easily take me down in one hit. Everybody else isn't that much of a worry, I just run across a map to the next conquest point without much of a care. That's why I've started playing HC which is a lot more tense and requires a more tactical approach.

That kind of playing just appeals to me. I love creeping along a map trying to plant/defuse a bomb in CS or Hardcore Search and Destroy in Modern Warfare, for example.

At the same time, 2-3 bullets doesn't mean you can't be Rambo and have that awesome feeling of dominating on that battlefield. If you're a good shot and have quick reactions you can still push forward, run around, survive an attack or two. It does not mean you always have to creep along in the shadows.

Makoto

G_Berry said:
Dude, the attackers even got a light tank to assist, it wasn't hard. So many people blamed the weapons and lack of recoil for the attackers having a hard time but the attackers are able to shoot as well.

People played like one game, got owned and cried on forums instead of getting better at the game. It's a sign of the times.
Like most casual players though, they just took the LAV and parked it in a safe spot far away near the Attacker's deployment. Even if they used the LAV competently, add in vehicle disabling and a few engineers and you've got your team a useless, disabled LAV in the middle of the map.

Attackers may have been able to shoot, but they aren't able to shoot and move at the same time. That's why Defenders had such an easy time.

mr_nothin

Banned
G_Berry said:

I agree, it never felt too hard to win the match. Weapon design and map design were at the bottom of the list when it came to reasons why it was "difficult" to take the mcoms out. I never had a problem with either in the alpha but apparently thousands of other people did. Go figure

vidal said:
Like most casual players though, they just took the LAV and parked it in a safe spot far away near the Attacker's deployment. Even if they used the LAV competently, add in vehicle disabling and a few engineers and you've got your team a useless, disabled LAV in the middle of the map.
LAV respawned really quickly in the alpha....but I hated when people LAV camped.
vidal said:
Attackers may have been able to shoot, but they aren't able to shoot and move at the same time. That's why Defenders had such an easy time.
WUT?
I shot on the move all the time. I dont get this statement

JackEtc

I have no work for the rest of the week. School tomorrow, then rushing home to play. Have Thursday off, and Friday I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled, so I'll be playing/recovering all weekend.

Body is ready.

G_Berry

Banned
vidal said:

I never had a problem.

Izayoi

Banned
G_Berry said:

Yup. I won plenty of matches as an attacker in the Alpha. I still don't understand all of the complaints about it being "too hard" for attackers. I fear that it will be way too easy with proper squad spawning.

Makoto

G_Berry said:
I never had a problem.
I shudder to think how awful your opponent's may have been if that was truly the case. It was incredibly easy for me and a group of pub allstars to take out any Attackers. I really didn't get to see much of the latter areas as a Defender as a result of it.

Hawk269

Is the PC version 360 controller compatible? Yeah, I know a pc gamer wanting controller support for a fps...but hey, just prefer controllers.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer.

wwm0nkey

Hawk269 said:
Is the PC version 360 controller compatible? Yeah, I know a pc gamer wanting controller support for a fps...but hey, just prefer controllers.

Yes but no aim assist.

Deadbeat

Banned
Hawk269 said:

Yes theres controller support. No, you will have to play on the opposing team.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
any 360 mp footage? not in trailer form but actual gameplay. game comes out next month and we have nothing

Izayoi

Banned
DR3AM said:
any 360 mp footage? not in trailer form but actual gameplay. game comes out next month and we have nothing
Tomorrow there will be tons.

Also, the trailer was all actual gameplay, so...

G_Berry

Banned
vidal said:
I shudder to think how awful your opponent's may have been if that was truly the case. It was incredibly easy for me and a group of pub allstars to take out any Attackers. I really didn't get to see much of the latter areas as a Defender as a result of it.

The amount of times it was just me planting at the Mcom and defending it all by myself while the rest of the players were doing whatever it is they do was embarrassing.

Most of the alpha players weren't typical BF players. They had no idea what they were doing.

The beta will give a much better indication. I just hope DICE don't listen to the minority and make everyone bullet sponges. I don't think they will, they know the game plays great.

Take away the feeling of imminent death and you have, well, every other game these days. Yawn.

Biff

This thread is moving crazy fast but can anyone tell me if those Nvidia beta drivers are mandatory/recommended directly by DICE? Will the beta run like shit without it?

I'd rather not install beta drivers if I can avoid it..

G_Berry

Banned
ChefRamsay said:
This thread is moving crazy fast but can anyone tell me if those Nvidia beta drivers are mandatory/recommended directly by DICE? Will the beta run like shit without it?

I'm sure that they worked with Nvidia at some point. This is the biggest PC game in ages and the drivers even have BF pics and links during the install process lol.

I install the beta drivers all the time but if your worried, keep the ones you have currently, play the beta and if it runs fine don't worry.

Dynamic3

G_Berry said:

I'm with you bro.

mr_nothin

Banned
vidal said:
We'll handle this in the GAF server!

Spoo

Since I'm completely new to Origin, how will I find the client through it? I can't find the "demos" section EA keeps referring to in their online help.

FINALBOSS

Banned
So....I bought MoH:LE on PS3...how exactly am I accessing the beta tomorrow? Just popping in the key that came with the game?

Menelaus

Banned
ChefRamsay said:

So try without first, but be aware that using the beta drivers can increase performance by up to 40%.

Izayoi

Banned
Spoo said:
Since I'm completely new to Origin, how will I find the client through it? I can't find the "demos" section EA keeps referring to in their online help.

It will pop up under your game list.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
FINALBOSS said:
So....I bought MoH:LE on PS3...how exactly am I accessing the beta tomorrow? Just popping in the key that came with the game?
I heard we'll just be able to get it from the store without having to put anything in as long as we've already activated the LE pass from MoH.

Izayoi

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
I imagine there will be a site where you input the MoH key, and you will receive an email with your beta key.

Top Bottom