• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

JackEtc

GODDAMMIT

I just had an AMAZING game, attackers on Metro, last stage, I had 5000+ points, a 2.5 K/D, and I had leveled up TWICE (from 9 to 11).

Game crashes.

FJSAFHLAKDSFASKJHAFKFFUFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

plainr_ said:
Dude this game absolutely rocks. We definitely need our next-gen consoles though. Graphics look like shit on the PS3.

Really, like shit? I dunno lol. I mean yes it is not as good as a high end pc, but... shit?

Angry Fork

So I got into Caspian finally but the lag was atrocious, unplayable. Still played in it for about a half hour just to see the map but everyone was stuttering and I couldn't run without jumping around the map and shit. I'm assuming it's because so many people are trying to get into the room or something. Metro doesn't lag for me so it's probably a server issue and not the map/game.

Can you join people's games on origin or follow people/form squads with friends and shit? Was gonna ask some people in here for their origin name to add them but not sure if it matters if you can't follow them.

Eric WK

Doc Holliday said:
It's so funny, everyone was raving about the beta for 2 days and all of a sudden boom! Massive complaints lol. Console beta must be really bad.

I've actually come around on it quite a bit. Plays amazing and I'm sure the graphical issues/bugs will be smoothed out before long.

pelican

caspian is amazing!

on a side note I know I am being a twat but how do you text chat in game on the pc? cant seem to find the bloody button;p

nephilimdj said:
Cant believe how sweet this game looks and plays on my 3yr old e8400 and 4850, miles ahead of bc2

You've got to be kidding me. I got 60 fps with everything maxed except hbao and vsync off and AA set to 2x

With bf3 I have everything turned off that can be turned off and had to turn my rez down to 1280x720 and I only get 25 fos outside on metro and 20 fos on caspian.

Are you using fraps to check your fps in both games?

Angry Fork

dogmanstaruk said:
caspian is amazing!

on a side note I know I am being a twat but how do you text chat in game on the pc? cant seem to find the bloody button;p
I think it's h for all, j for team and k for squad.

punkypine

a few questions about the pc version:

1) is voice chat working at all?
2) is disconnected from login server an issue on my end or EA's end? my friend never seems to get it
3) can you join a squad of your choice or is it just random?
4) how exactly does spotting work?

Been playing since tues but never figured those things out

Kahoona

I haven't played a game to completion in hours...the server crashes before I can finish it. I must have hit rank 29 about nine times tonight...it's getting extremely frustrating.

commissar

Played it for about 2 minutes before I needed to leave the house but it seemed like more battlefield. Mantling things is so smooth, the movement feels good.

I need to drop down a few settings though (it had auto detected) as I think I was getting about 15-20fps haha

mikeGFG

Banned
nephilimdj said:
Cant believe how sweet this game looks and plays on my 3yr old e8400 and 4850, miles ahead of bc2

uh, are you playing @640x480?

im rocking the 4850 and bf3 at lowest settings runs like SHIT and looks worse than bad company 2.

bigswords

Graphics are a slight upgrade compared with BFBC 2. But the animation looks good. At the last defense area for Metro, I forgotten about destructible buildings and started firing RPGs on the building overlooking the objective, killed and open up the place for our team snipers to take them out.

I just find it strange that party stuff and playing as a squad with your friends is so difficult, this should be standard!

Darkkn

Caspian is amazing!

They really need to tweak UI a bit for Conquest mode. Right now it's hard to figure out where i should be going and what points are under contest/enemy hands.

- At glance display of capture all point statuses.
- Distance under capturepoint markers.
- Map is useless. Proper fullscreen map needed.

Angry Fork

bigswords said:
I just find it strange that party stuff and playing as a squad with your friends is so difficult, this should be standard!
Agree. Does anyone know if this will be fixed in the final game? Did BC2 on PC have these kinds of features? I know someone here mentioned that the alpha version you could create your own squads or something but they took it out for beta. I hope the full version has all of these features because it's really annoying not having them.

Proxy

dogmanstaruk said:
caspian is amazing!

J is for all chat, K is for Team chat and, L is for Squad chat.

Marvie_3

Banned
mickcenary said:
Has ANYONE been able to join a game with a friend of theirs on either of the consoles? It seems nigh impossible.
Haven't been able to all day. I haven't even been able to get into a game by myself since this morning.

J-Rzez

klownboots said:
Really, like shit? I dunno lol. I mean yes it is not as good as a high end pc, but... shit?

If you played one on a high-end PC then shift to the console, it's a huge difference. Shit maybe too strong, but it really looks gimped. We need new machines.

There's a really nice look of "urgency" and "desperation" to the animation. Sprinting like a madman, vaulting some benches/fences/ and slamming prone into the ground looks great and has a nice flow to it.

Marvie_3 said:
Haven't been able to all day. I haven't even been able to get into a game by myself since this morning.

Man, that's such poo. Man the fuck up, Dice.

J-Rzez said:
If you played one on a high-end PC then shift to the console, it's a huge difference. Shit maybe too strong, but it really looks gimped. We need new machines.

Yeah, I was playing almost entirely maxed out and then switched to the 360 to play with a friend... horrible. I did enjoy playing it on the system but it looks so much worse it's insane. It must really suck for those who watch all these gameplay trailers DICE has been releasing the past year and come to find this is what it looks like.

Loxley

plainr_ said:
Dude this game absolutely rocks. We definitely need our next-gen consoles though. Graphics look like shit on the PS3.

Pretty much what I came here to say, the game is fucking ugly on the PS3. I was hoping it would potentially at least match Crysis 2, but based on what I've seen so far, it just looks like the PC version switched to low settings, it's extremely jarring.

As far as the gameplay goes, which at the end of the day is what's most important, it's very very solid (outside of the occasionally questionable hit detection). I love that prone is back in, feels good man. And mother of god these animations are sexy, but holy crap are there graphical glitches up the anus with this game o_O

Micro-UAV 360 gameplay

Interesting.. the M-UAV is listed as 'Not in Beta' on Battlelog, but someone unlocked it and can use it. I'm like 3000 points from unlocking the Mortars on Support class, which are also listed as 'Not in Beta' on Battlelog..

Too bad the servers are down, I'm very curious now!

KaYotiX

Banned
VGChampion said:
Yeah, I was playing almost entirely maxed out and then switched to the 360 to play with a friend... horrible. I did enjoy playing it on the system but it looks so much worse it's insane. It must really suck for those who watch all these gameplay trailers DICE has been releasing the past year and come to find this is what it looks like.

basing a 1.3 gig beta on 360 really isnt fair when you compare it to what it will be like on a full disc. The PC demo is 3.3 gigs btw.

Angry Fork said:
I'm kind of wondering what makes this game so demanding as well. There's probably tons of little things I don't know about that are added to the game but I tried it on Ultra (only got 15fps lol) and it looks good but like not some ground breaking omg shit the way Crysis was. I'm wondering what options and little things in particular are the ones that make a big dent in the performance, like anti-aliasing is usually the biggest one so maybe it's that and a few other things.

For the last time: the beta, for most video options, is locked at medium settings, even if it says Ultra. Unless they changed something with a recent patch.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Guys I need mental help. I have a gaming PC and I have played the demo on both my pc and my PS3, and while the graphics on the my pc completely oblitered the ps3... Im having way more fun on the PS3. It just feels better. I can't explain it. I'm even considering changing my preorder to PS3. And I upgraded my my pc specifically for this so it's like a 300 dollar game for me that I would be throwing away. I need meds and catscan stat.

exarkun

Whats the use of being an engineer? thats the class I've chosen but I can't figure out what to do with my little torch thingy.

domlolz

Banned
exarkun said:
Whats the use of being an engineer? thats the class I've chosen but I can't figure out what to do with my little torch thingy.

Well in the beta there isn't any vehicles, which is what you'd be repairing with the little blow torch

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
exarkun said:

In the alpha there was an APC for the marines that you had to blow up or it would wreck havoc. Engineers were pretty popular because of that. In maps with vehicles you use your torch to repair them and your rockets to blow them up.

Pavaloo

Sorry for not reading prior, but I have the PC version crash on me almost everytime I play it. Am I the only one?

It runs fine, but as soon as I start to have some fun and the game gets exciting it immediately crashes to the desktop without an error message. Such a bummer. :/

DTKT

exarkun said:
I can do this in the beta right now? Are they those ATM looking things?

I think he's thinking about the TF2 engineer. Right now, the engineer is somewhat useless with Metro. It's great as soon as you have vehicles though.

Jburton

Banned
Mattdaddy said:
Guys I need mental help. I have a gaming PC and I have played the demo on both my pc and my PS3, and while the graphics on the my pc completely oblitered the ps3... Im having way more fun on the PS3. It just feels better. I can't explain it. I'm even considering changing my preorder to PS3. And I upgraded my my pc specifically for this so it's like a 300 dollar game for me that I would be throwing away. I need meds and catscan stat.

The ps3 version at the moment is the best running and most stable.

Being playing it all day with no issues.

So what you are feeling at the moment is correct ..... graphically inferior but playable and stable.

Best out of the 3 at the moment but all things will be equal in the end.

exarkun said:
I can do this in the beta right now? Are they those ATM looking things?

No those are things you can do in Team Fortress 2.

In BF3 you can use the torch to repair team vehicles, kill enemies, or if the repair tool works like it did in bc2, you can get up close to an enemy vehicle and use it to destroy the vehicle if you are out of RPG's.

But from what the devs have said you cant destroy vehicles anymore and get kills. It just disables vehicles. So there is really no point in using the class anymore because being an engineer make you the #1 target of tanks. Trust me that is not a fun experience. Only use RPG's against troops in maps like Metro.

parasight said:
Bah, I really hope these 360 servers come back tonight. Was really looking forward to playing.

i was just playing on 360 a second ago, so they're up right now. try entering multiple times, it doesn't always connect on the first try.

Didn't work for me on 360 so I d/led the PS3 beta.

I'm thoroughly impressed with how the engine has scaled on consoles. Also, the gunplay is tight and the enhancements to movement are very noticeable.

I'm sold on BF3, this game is going to be massive online.

Top Bottom