• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Khal_B

Is there any hope of them opening up Caspian Border like Metro to the general public? I really want to play that map, but the games are always full.

Legato.Reborn- said:
Man I'm usually the guy who's having all the problems but I honestly have no idea what you gentlemen are on about.

This beta is... AWESOME.

(PC)
Well, it isn't that awesome when we're talking about glitches, freezes, problems with statistics and lack of squad-based play (you can't change'em). Glad you're enjoing it, though.

domlolz

Banned
bluerei said:
More than that depending on what you have and what browser you're using. And it's not just RAM it takes up.

well whatever it takes up it's minimal and has little to no effect on the games performance, most people still have a browser running anyway. Long gone are the days of closing all your other programs just to get maximum performance when playing a game.

Woo-Fu said:
Actually it doesn't. Any resources the tab in your browser takes up the client would have to take up to do the same work. TANSTAAFL.

It is a great choice and a great change.

Actually it does because your browser is running plugins that the web page doesn't even ask for. TANSTAAFLJSPENIFANOIDG.

It's a bad choice and bad change.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Khal_B said:
Is there any hope of them opening up Caspian Border like Metro to the general public? I really want to play that map, but the games are always full.

just open chrome and do this

ctrl + shift + J

then copy and paste this and hit enter: launcher.verifyPassword = function(game, gameServerGuid, plaintextPassword, callback) { callback(true); }

itll bypass the password and you can just keep hitting enter over and over till you get in

Angry Fork

Only thing I don't like about the browser shit is there's no way to refresh the list without refreshing the whole page, it's annoying. Also you can't double click on a server to join you have to hit the stupid button and keep moving mouse back and forth. The lack of auto-join or auto-retry like in TF2 sucks as well.

domlolz

Banned
bluerei said:
Actually it does because your browser is running plugins that the web page doesn't even ask for. TANSTAAFLJSPENIFANOIDG.

An idle browser uses almost no cpu and even if if it does, windows will be able to handle it fine and you'd never notice!

Makoto

Angry Fork said:
Only thing I don't like about the browser shit is there's no way to refresh the list without refreshing the whole page, it's annoying.
Press "View Servers" to refresh the list.

domlolz

Banned
Rygar 8 Bit said:

ctrl + shift + J

then copy and past this and hit enter: launcher.verifyPassword = function(game, gameServerGuid, plaintextPassword, callback) { callback(true); }

itll bypass the password and you can just keep hitting enter over and over till you get in

this is fantastic, mods sticky this post everywhere thanks

Woo-Fu said:
Actually it doesn't. Any resources the tab in your browser takes up the client would have to take up to do the same work. TANSTAAFL.

It is a great choice and a great change.

It's an improvement over Dice's previous server browsers. And it's true that it doesnt use enough resources to complain about. But it is still awkward, ugly, and has the visual presentation of a sheet of white paper. What is the point of the origin client? They couldn't put all of this on the client instead of in 2 separate locations? It may work but the whole thing is ghastly. It's a joke compared to steam. Onlive has better presentation and a format that shits all over Origin.

Also, has anyone else tried out their demos for other games? It's a streamed game through Java. Crysis 2 is locked at 800x600 on it and the controls are so sluggish that the game isnt playable. I assume it is the same for all the demos. What are they doing with their storefront?

Woo-Fu

Banned
bluerei said:

Like I said you can close the browser if you want.

It's a good choice and a good change.

Rygar 8 Bit said:

ctrl + shift + J

then copy and past this and hit enter: launcher.verifyPassword = function(game, gameServerGuid, plaintextPassword, callback) { callback(true); }

You need to put it into console?

ultron87

I like the outside the game instance. It is quick and slick.

Game looks beautiful even on my middling computer.

Operation Metro isn't that much fun.

sk3tch

Nabs said:
You have to use Notepad++, not wordpad or notepad.

Thanks for the FOV help, Nabs and Menaleus. To pay it forward, here's my documentation of how to change it:

Edit the file "PROF_SAVE_body" in the C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Battlefield 3 Open Beta folder using Notepad++:

Change:

FieldOfView

to

FieldOfView

Woo-Fu

Banned
Angry Fork said:
. The lack of auto-join or auto-retry like in TF2 sucks as well.

Auto-join/Auto-retry is in. It is a server option that has to be enabled. I've been "queued" on a couple servers.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
itll look like this

Untitled.jpg

paste it at the blue > at the bottom left

Khal_B

Rygar 8 Bit said:

ctrl + shift + J

then copy and paste this and hit enter: launcher.verifyPassword = function(game, gameServerGuid, plaintextPassword, callback) { callback(true); }

Thank you :)

kamspy

Is there a Caspian password floating around?

I never got to play it. =(

EDIT:

OH MY GOD THE CHROME SCRIPT WORKS.

It's a fucking religious experience. Bow DICE. Bow.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does Operation Metro kind of run like ass for anyone else with a 4850?

I ordered a new video card, but it won't be here for a few days, and I don't think I can go lower than Low.

I have the preview drivers.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I don't normally go for modern war FPSes, but I decided to give this a go. I installed the beta on my roommate's PS3, and played a few rounds. For some reason, I like this game. I can't explain it, but I want to play more.

Can't tell you how disappointed I am. PS3 version. Graphics are poor, squads don't work, mics don't work, UI sucks (especially editing your kit layout...R1 then circle?). :(

Nirolak said:
Does Operation Metro kind of run like ass for anyone else with a 4850?

I ordered a new video card, but it won't be here for a few days, and I don't think I can go lower than Low.

I have the preview drivers.

I get 25 fps outside in Metro and 20 fps in Caspian with all setting set to low or off and my rez set down to 1280x720. Got a pretty steady 60 fps on all high (except hbao) with BC2.

Some other guy on the last page says that he gets about the same performance in BF3 as he did in BC2 so maybe it is a case by case basis. My frames seem much lower than they should be though.

Shadybiz

I played the PS3 version for awhile. I didn't run into many glitches, but there was one annoying one. I was on the defending team, on the first portion of Metro. We held out for awhile, but then one base fell. After a couple more minutes, the other one was triggered. The siren got to the point where it was JUST about to blow, but then the game stopped, and said that the defending team won. I don't know...it COULD have been that close, but I kind of doubt it.

Oh, one other thing was that when the first crate was triggered, the siren started going off as usual, but then I died. When I respawned, the noise had stopped, so I just figured that it had been disarmed. It hadn't, and it blew a few seconds later.

Other than those two instances, I think that it plays pretty well. I am not a big fan of this Metro map, but the gameplay itself felt pretty solid.

guldakot

Well just put an hour into the beta.
Positives.
Gunplay is much improved over BC2. Feels like actually firing weapons.
Sound is very nice once you put it on stereo.
Negatives.
Game is about 6 months off from release in this state.
People falling through the ground.
Geometry is messed up.
Was actually flying through the subway at one point.
Framerate spikes and dips like a mofo. Getting 70 fps at times then dropping to 20 for no apparant reason.
The whole browser menu system is garbage. Get a real server browser.
The fact that you have to be deployed, let alone in game and on a server before you can adjust anything is garbage.

Overall very underwhelmed. Pretty visuals do not make a solid nor polished game.
Ill wait for patch 1.4 before touching this game. It is not even remotely ready for release.
And before people scream beta, the game is only 1 month from release, there are way too many issues to get cleared up in that short of time.

Oh and yeah, could not get into a caspian server, but metro is one of the worst maps I've ever played in terms of design.

Was so fucking pumped for this game, after that terrible experience I doubt Ill even play the beta again.

Emily Chu

Banned
idk why people are bitching about the battlelog it's the best thing to happen to online FPS

click quick match

I timed it 25-30 sec later I'm in the game no BS no logos, no in game menus, just boom in the game ready to rock.

the browser is open 24/7 anyway. for PC this is the best implmentation I've ever seen

infact fuck the ingame clunky menu stuff and just give me Battlelog on any major web Browser

it loads so fast it feels like I'm playing a online flash game for FFS....

Keep battlelog fuck everything else

not even COD4 loaded this fast

Gvaz

Banned
Maybe it is a "knee jerk" to some, but I don't like a web browser being related to a game at all.

Regardless of me always having firefox or whatever open, regardless of Dice not knowing how to make a in-game menu, browsers aren't meant for videogames, period. The two should be independent.

Woo-Fu said:
Like I said you can close the browser if you want.

It's a good choice and a good change.

That's a horrible option. The fact that you can't change options till you load a server is one very good reason you shouldn't have a browser. It's a stupid and horrible decision that limits everything until you load the game up.

It doesnt load any faster than BC2 and loads slower than any other multi-player game I play. Not that it takes too long to load, not at all. But it does not load fast enough to make me forget that this is the most awkward and ugly game interface I have ever seen.

sk3tch

zoku88 said:
Is there any way to change settings (like graphics) without already being in a server?

You can edit the config file. Look for my POV post in the prev. page. The settings are all in there. Happy hacking. :)

Emily Chu said:
idk why people are bitching about the battlelog it's the best thing to happen to online FPS

<snip>

Best review of Battlelog I have read so far. I could not agree more! Seriously...so quick. Yeah...it has it's faults...but it's like Xbox LIVE on PC without the GFWL bloat. So slick.

Gvaz

Banned
I H8 Memes said:
It doesnt load any faster than BC2 and loads slower than any other multi-player game I play. Not that it takes too long to load, not at all. But it does not load fast enough to make me forget that this is the most awkward and ugly game interface I have ever seen.
This as well.

jvalioli said:
Makes great DRM though if you can't launch the campaign without the browser.
This is really more what I think it's useful for.

Gvaz said:
Maybe it is a "knee jerk" to some, but I don't like a web browser being related to a game at all.

Regardless of me always having firefox or whatever open, regardless of Dice not knowing how to make a in-game menu, browsers aren't meant for videogames, period. The two should be independent.
Change is bad.

xIvSlowDeath420

Neo Member
How is everyone checking out there fps,i can't seem to get fraps to work with BF3.

Also i'm new here so i don't want to get involved in arguments,but those who are arguing browser plug in resource use as a negative in comparison to a client,just stop,its a ridiculous soap box to climb onto:(

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I must be insane. I love Metro! and I loved Caspian the one time i was able to find a server. No crashes no problem connecting to servers. Not sure why everyone is so disappointed. Oh well.

Shurs

Tried playing the 360 beta tonight.

It won't connect to the EA servers.

I tried a few times, a few hours apart.

Anyone else having this problem?

Top Bottom