• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

feel

So are they just pretending the console beta is not a completely glitchy and ugly mess? Have they said anything at all?? The image keeps blinking, everything keeps twitching and flashing as you walk around, it's a pain to move around the environment because you keep getting stuck on little things, or dropping from the map... seems like a game 12 months away from release. Bad Company 2 looked and played so smooth on console.

HotHamWater said:
The build we're playing was stuck in cert for at least 3 weeks.

Yup, I'd say at the very least, it's three weeks old. Probably closer to a month--would be surprised if this wasn't the Gamescom build. They announced the commo rose (not in Beta), destruction is still on the same level as the Alpha, they said the middle tower of Caspian is destructible (not in Beta), etc. Has to be a fairly old build.

darkwing said:
lets just rename Metro to Pron(e) Wars

Or you could coordinate with your team, spot enemies, and win? Working as a team beats campers every time.

Letters said:
So are they just pretending the console beta is not a completely glitchy and ugly mess? Have they said anything at all?? The image keeps blinking, everything keeps twitching and flashing as you walk around, it's a pain to move around the environment because you keep getting stuck on little things, or dropping from the map... seems like a game 12 months away from release. Bad Company 2 looked and played so smooth on console.

Whats funny is they'll probably fix a majority of the glaring issues before the beta's over and everyone will forget about how bad it was immediately.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Letters said:
A lot of those issues are in the PC as well and evidently PC was improved while the console versions were stuck in certification limbo. I'm pretty sure that the console beta build is from mid-August at the latest, by my estimation. Since beta builds have to be split from the rest of development to get them ready to go I assume that would take a couple of weeks. The console versions were in certification for most of September and were released a little over a week after certification was cleared. Since a lot of the visual aspects are the last things to be polished and we've gotten some good console footage since then (Operation Guillotine 360) I'm hoping for a decent visual jump and for most of those glitches to be gone.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Prone people are trivial to flank. Once you're familiar with the map you'll know most of the spots and be ready for them.

darkwing

Bumblebeetuna said:
Is "join friend" on PS3 broken or does it just not do anything at all because his game might be full?

yup its broken now, yesterday it was ok, don't worry though , its still a beta

PS3 players apparently don't know what the radio bacon: first Ihide ir pretty well, to have an advantage in one m-comm, they didn't find it, next time I put it more on the open just for curiosity when I was sniping in one of the buildings in the last set on Metro, they kill me but.....they didn't destroyed the radio when it was pretty close to me, so I respawned...they kill me...I respawned again....they kill me....and I respawned again and took the dogtag of one of them.

After playing a BF on PC I realized how much different are the player base and their different styles.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh god why have they taken down the Caspian Border servers, why?!

I can't go back to Metro. Its dogshit. I was almost entirely put off the game when I played that map, but after sneaking into Caspian I was back on board again.

Throw the switch, EA. Its clearly ready to be played, don't you two tier an open beta like assholes.

Pie and Beans said:

I can't go back to Metro. Its dogshit. I was almost entirely put off the game when I played that map, but after sneaking into Caspian I was back on board again.

Throw the switch, EA. Its clearly ready to be played, don't you two tier an open beta like assholes.

I'm in the same boat. I didn't hate metro, but after playing Caspian, I can't go back.

blurrygil

Hellcrow said:
Accepting to be revived is a great thing if some idiot revives you infront of an enemy tank.

Feature was pretty broken. I pressed A to accept and the menu never went away. I got up with a pistol and tried firing, only to (VERY) slowly drop again like I was dead. I then waited 30 secs on this very screen before getting to the squad menu. GUH.

darkwing

blurrygil said:
Feature was pretty broken. I pressed A to accept and the menu never went away. I got up with a pistol and tried firing, only to (VERY) slowly drop again like I was dead. I then waited 30 secs on this very screen before getting to the squad menu. GUH.

yup happens in the PS3 version too, the menu never goes away

blurrygil

SirButterstick said:
I'm in the same boat. I didn't hate metro, but after playing Caspian, I can't go back.

Someone said it best last night on 360-GAF:

"This beta is like playing Nelson Bay on Conquest..."

Bruiserk

blurrygil said:
The blurryOne's Laundry List of BS on BF3 (360-GAF):

Prone Warz
Enviroment issues (F**KIN EVERYWHERE!!!)
Grenades are borked (Animations, sticking to invisible sh*t, etc)
Prone Warzzzzzz
Weapons slightly overpowered and very unbalanced (Back to good ol' shotgun snipes from old days of BC2 and nothing but Assault classes)
MCOM bomb timers WAY too quick (at least 10-15 secs)
Wonky Squad Spawning
Frostbite wackiness
Flashes EVERYWHERE (many of them aren't players or anything...)
Menu borkedness
Reviving is hit or miss (And ACCEPTING TO BE REVIVED, WUT?!?)
PRONE WARZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

I have similar concerns, like Faceless, with proning on larger maps. Personally, I feel that all the proning and high damage just doesn't create good combat situations. There's a reason why I got tired of all of the insta-killing in BF2.

I have to agree with fellow GAF-ers, the game truly feels like BF3: Medal of Duty BLOPS. I'm disappointed, but enjoyed some of the new aspects of the game. Such as:

Player animation and "swaying" (Felt like, well, a human being...who can parkour over obstacles!)
Graphics....OH the graphics! (And definitely the lighting! An RPG in the Metro tunnel = gorgeous)
Knifing for Dogtags (just feels...right)
Mobile Spawnpoints (Nice. How do you unlock those, though?)

Sadly, I have more complaints than praises. The game just doesn't fit for me, thus far. But alas, it'll get more time from me over the next week for sure...and we'll see how it goes.

And...no 360-GAF community? Don't see one in the OP... :-(

You are COMPLAINING about this? It is a great feature! How many times in BC2 have you been rambo revived in the line of crossfire just so some medic can get an extra 100 points?

blurrygil

Atomski said:
Did you play BC2? because there was some morons that would rez you over and over in the line of fire.

And I get the reasoning. But I'd much prefer an option to "turn off" revivals in your squad menu rather than opting each and every time the paddles are struck to me...

Gvaz

Banned
KaYotiX said:
Go play ace combat
Don't get me wrong, I like fps and the series, but afaik ace combat isn't for the PC, and that vehicle combat looks really fun. That's more of what I meant.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Cant even login into BattleLog.

Do i have the use the same mail as the PSN ID?

AmFreak

Pie and Beans said:

This.
I only came for Caspian and when i was there they fucking removed it - how dumb is that? If i wanted to play a normal non vehical shooter i could have choosen one of the 4565 other one's out there.

Does the T-UGS actually work? I was excited to unlock it last night because I loved motion mines in BC2, but it doesn't seem to do much of anything... I think I read somewhere that if enemies crouch or crawl by it they won't be detected, so maybe that's what was happening.

Woo-Fu

Banned
AmFreak said:
This.
I only came for Caspian and when i was there they fucking removed it - how dumb is that? If i wanted to play a normal non vehical shooter i could have choosen one of the 4565 other one's out there.

Then you should have, Caspian Border wasn't part of the official beta. People were only playing it with leaked passwords or browser hacks.

scoobs

I'm sure this has been mentioned but... why would they take out the option to pick and choose your squads like in BC2?? Its damn near impossible to get in a squad with your friends

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Woo-Fu said:
Then you should have, Caspian Border wasn't part of the official beta. People were only playing it with leaked passwords or browser hacks.
I knew it was over when the browser hacks came out.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Nabs said:
Yeah, Battlelog/Origin just use your EA ID.
I cant add my new PSN ID to the EA profile it says 'That PSN ID already exists" >_<
And i cant register with my PSN ID because theres no PSN Store for my region.

Bruiserk

scoobs said:
I'm sure this has been mentioned but... why would they take out the option to pick and choose your squads like in BC2?? Its damn near impossible to get in a squad with your friends

Probably not taken out, just not included in the beta I think. I can't imagine DICE being that dumb.

Gvaz

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
The issue is that people like it more, so why remove the better level?

Nesotenso

Anybody else having problems launching the beta using origin today ? I just kept getting error messages when I tried launching the beta this morning.

scoobs

Bruiserk said:
Probably not taken out, just not included in the beta I think. I can't imagine DICE being that dumb.
Idk but if the final game only has the option to "leave squad" and "join a squad" (by randomly putting me in another squad or more likely the exact same squad i just left, I'm gonna fucking bitch up a storm on their forums

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It may be listed as a 'beta' but I don't think anyones fooled as to the purpose of it. Its a glorified demo with that "work in progress" part highlighted, all the while hyping up the game.

Lump someone with Metro and they'll call the game dogshit choke-point sniper camping heaven.

Let someone play some Caspian and they'll hype your game faster than an unlock code for a gold dildo attachment to the SVD ever will.

Hell, I don't think Battlefield even works without vehicles. They're absolutely essential for breaking forward in a mode like Rush rather than some endless sniping stalemate of who see's who first with such low health. Not fun.

Atomski

blurrygil said:
And I get the reasoning. But I'd much prefer an option to "turn off" revivals in your squad menu rather than opting each and every time the paddles are struck to me...
That would be pretty anti squad though.. and sometimes it is great to be revived so I dont understand why anyone would want such an option.

Makoto

Pie and Beans said:
It may be listed as a 'beta' but I don't think anyones fooled as to the purpose of it. Its a glorified demo with that "work in progress" part highlighted, all the while hyping up the game.
No, I think this is the real deal. It's a beta and they chose Metro because it's a small map and it's easier to isolate issues/bug/glitches on a small map than it is on a large map like Caspian Border.

Bruiserk

scoobs said:
Idk but if the final game only has the option to "leave squad" and "join a squad" (by randomly putting me in another squad or more likely the exact same squad i just left, I'm gonna fucking bitch up a storm on their forums

I feel the exact same way. Not being able to invite in game is pretty terrible as well. But hey, it's a beta (supposedly), right?

PatzCU

I wrote this in an email chain to my BF3 buddies, but figured it might be constructive here:

I agree with pretty much all your pros/cons. I'm trying to remember back to BF2 days and how the damage worked out, but I don't remember it being this crazy. I hate to say it, but they really need to scale the damage down significantly. As much fun as we all have playing hardcore on BC2, even that gives you enough of a fighting chance for teamwork to come into play. You can take a shot or two (even on BC2 hardcore) and retreat around the corner, refill on your ammo, refill on your health and then push out again in BC2. In BF3 beta, you get popped once, you are down for the count.

Not only are you down for the count, but you are likely not getting revived either. Why? I had Defibs for the entire night last night and every attempt I made to revive the team, I died instantly because the same prone asshole that took out 3 people in front of me in 1 clip proceeds to take me down before I can revive. My biggest gripe so far is with the damage models. As it stands now, it really doesn't matter at all what class you are, you won't stay alive long enough for the class perks to make a single difference.

Assault/Medic - Healing doesn't matter, you are dead in 1 shot. Revives are impossible to pull of because you die in 1 shot.
Support - You'll die before you need ammo. Even if you don't die, everyone starts off with like 5 clips. Suppression is an awesome idea, but even the support guns 1 shot people so really you are killing more than you are suppressing a position.
Engineer - Tough to say as we haven't played with vehicles yet.
Recon - Seems pretty good actually. I like the mobile spawn points. Sniper rifle lens glare needs to be toned down.

If they scale down the damage to BC2 levels, i think the game will be incredible. Also might be nice to put in significant movement penalties for prone positions. As of right now prone players can rotate 360 degrees as if they were standing. Moving into/out of prone is also basically as quick as running.

This has turned into a completely unstructured critique so I'll stop now.

TLDR; tone the damage way down, fix squads, fix server browser.

charsace

One thing that bothered me about the Beta is that a lot of the textures in the 360 version look awful. The lighting on the characters is better than BC2, but not as good as something like Gears 3.

AmFreak

Woo-Fu said:

Fair enough, if i didn't inform myself properly my fault. But in my opinion it's just dumb to not show off the one (huge) thing that differentiates the series from all the other Shooters out there. It only looks like CoD Clone 246 now (what is a shame imo).

desu

Uhm has anyone ever won the last part of metro as defender? Ive seen some really well defenders there but never we were actually able to hold the last part. Seems pretty broken to me...

Wazzim

Banned
I don't know about you guys but the PC servers are total shite today, no open servers and random crashing etc. And it's now just me, 2 other friends of my have the same problems today.

Pie and Beans

vidal said:
No, I think this is the real deal. It's a beta and they chose Metro because it's a small map and it's easier to isolate issues/bug/glitches on a small map than it is on a large map like Caspian Border.

games coming out in like 25 days. Beta is a polite way of letting people play slightly older code under the guise of server stress testing. If a map like Caspian isn't ready to be played, then either this game is getting delayed or it's launch is gonna be an ugly one.

agree with everyone saying damage models on infantry need scaling back a whole lot. classes are pointless when it all seems like a suicide mission to fulfill a support role.

-GOUKI-

desu said:
Uhm has anyone ever won the last part of metro as defender? Ive seen some really well defenders there but never we were actually able to hold the last part. Seems pretty broken to me...
i find the attackers are always at a disadvantage..

Top Bottom