• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Cobra84

Confidence Man said:
I guess we know who came up with the flashlight idea.
Whoever did should be forced to work on non-smartphone cell phone games with 10 100-watt bulbs mounted on his desk for the rest of his life. Worst thing about the game that isn't a bug.

questionmark said:
2) How fast shit dies, myself especially. This is a major issue. Anyone can kill anyone, no skill required. It feels like playing hc in BC2, and I fucking hate hc with a passion. It just turns the game into a competition of who sees who first. The problem in BC2 (normal) was how easy the guns were to handle, and at any range. But atleast you could take some hits. In BF3, I like the gunplay more, but I'd take shitty gunplay over this instagib bullshit. If somebody comes at you from any direction but the front, you are fucked unless they are certified trash, but even then you are most likely fucked. With prone, bushes and large maps, it is even easier for horrible players to hide all over the place and with the low hp I know it is going to be a fucking nightmare. I don't know if this is something I can get over.

Add in the fact that I am an irrational Steam fanboy, I am seriously considering passing on the game alltogether.

Ok, so apparently, the amount of hp is not the problem...

Sorry if this has been posted before, but everyone needs to see this shit.

I have put in over 650 hours in BC2, and I was excited as hell for BF3. I was going to put BF3 in the small pile of games that I buy outside of Steam, with Blizzard games. But fuck this shit.

Makoto

questionmark said:

I have put in over 650 hours in BC2, and I was excited as hell for BF3. I was going to put BF3 in the small pile of games that I buy outside of Steam, with Blizzard games. But fuck this shit.
Ignore the first part of that video as it's apparently been fixed in the retail, but the rest of that, hands down the most frustrating thing about Battlefield 3 right now.

Ezduo

Banned
AndyD said:
I imagine they will be useful in corridors like the Metro map, but not too overpowered like they were before.
Just as long as we don't have situations like Karkland where the first few minutes of the game were nothing but snipers running to plant claymores everywhere for free kills, and make no mistake, that's basically what they were on some maps. Explosives on this game seem somewhat underpowered though, not sure how I feel about that. Was using the grenade launcher to try and grind for the smoke grenades and I have more than a few situations where the thing would explode within a foot or two of the person and they'd just turn and fill me with lead. Didn't ever get a good feeling for when it was too close or too far, sometimes I'd get a double kill just spamming the thing, other times I could fire every last one of my grenades to the end of a hallway where an enemy was, see that they're taking damage from the indicator, and then when I run out have them pop around the corner, take one shot and drop me.

Manager said:
wtf... what kind of answer is that.

It's DICE community managers, bro! They're basically the game development equivalent of your local Gamestop Know-It-All Cashier-Gods which look down on the rest of us puny, ignorant peons playing in the muck of gaming while they gaze down from their lofty perch.

Real-talk: Demize and that zhinto jerk are a couple of jackasses that are on a power-trip and don't fucking appreciate the commmunity/customers at all. I'd love for them to grow the balls to show up on GAF and try to do their disrespectful snarky bullshit here.

Makoto

BoobPhysics101 said:
It's DICE community managers, bro!
I don't think you know who Demize99 is...

Edit: Not that I'm trying to discredit your attitude towards DICE in general, but yeah, he's no community manager.

sp3000

questionmark said:

This is what you get when you make hit detection client side. I think DICE has some of those brilliant and idiotic minds in their studio. There is seriously no other explanation for why some parts of the game are great and others are just terrible.

vidal said:
Ignore the first part of that video as it's apparently been fixed in the retail, but the rest of that, hands down the most frustrating thing about Battlefield 3 right now.

The horrible net code often destroys the fun. I don't want to die 2-3 seconds after I got behind cover!

As things are you may as well not run if you're under fire.

Arcipello

questionmark said:

i experience these issues ALL the time in the BETA... i hope not to see them in the final retail build. the game would play a hell of a lot better if these issues were sorted, especially the cover issue, that shit annoys me to no end!

squidyj

Cobra84 said:
Whoever did should be forced to work on non-smartphone cell phone games with 10 100-watt bulbs mounted on his desk for the rest of his life. Worst thing about the game that isn't a bug.

Except for the part where it's actually pretty cool.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ezduo said:
Just as long as we don't have situations like Karkland where the first few minutes of the game were nothing but snipers running to plant claymores everywhere for free kills, and make no mistake, that's basically what they were on some maps. Explosives on this game seem somewhat underpowered though, not sure how I feel about that. Was using the grenade launcher to try and grind for the smoke grenades and I have more than a few situations where the thing would explode within a foot or two of the person and they'd just turn and fill me with lead. Didn't ever get a good feeling for when it was too close or too far, sometimes I'd get a double kill just spamming the thing, other times I could fire every last one of my grenades to the end of a hallway where an enemy was, see that they're taking damage from the indicator, and then when I run out have them pop around the corner, take one shot and drop me.

That's on purpose I think. BC2 degenerated into a rocket launcher fest so a lot of people quit playing it as a result. The Gustav ruined that game in my opinion.

Yes, realistically it would cause a lot of damage, but when everyone has a Gustav, and you have resupply and unlimited rockets it turns into rocket spam with little if any aiming, just fire away in every direction and you are bound to hit something.

I hope claymores and explosives play evenly. Enough damage but not too much to upset the balance.

squidyj

AndyD said:
That's on purpose I think. BC2 degenerated into a rocket launcher fest so a lot of people quit playing it as a result. The Gustav ruined that game in my opinion.

Yes, realistically it would cause a lot of damage, but when everyone has a Gustav, and you have resupply and unlimited rockets it turns into rocket spam with little if any aiming, just fire away in every direction and you are bound to hit something.

I hope claymores and explosives play evenly. Enough damage but not too much to upset the balance.

Two things. Carl Gustav, and Shotty Snipers in BC2.... I've been sniped by a shotty in this beta.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Claymore won't kill a full HP person most of the time, in my experience. I tend to use a lot of them as support when I'm prone with an LMG. They at least warn me that somebody is trying to flank even if they don't kill the guy. You can only have 2 down at a time and you only spawn with one in inventory.

MNC

I love the health in BF3 more than in BC2. It's fucking ridiculous how I can unload a clip in a character in BC2 and not get the kill. Then he sees me, fires a few rounds and he gets me.

You can definitely tell (and it's a fact ofcourse) there's different netcode and hit registration. I really need to readjust myself if I play BC2 after BF3.

MrBig

I've gotten more kills in the BF3 beta than I have throughout all the time I have played BC2. The netcode is infinitely better. People actually die when I shoot where their character model currently is!

spicy cho

I have like 35 hours played, got to level 45 and I'm burned out. Might play a little with some friends over the weekend but I doubt I'll ever want to touch metro in the retail version. I still can't quite comprehend dice not doing a 64 conquest map for the beta but whatever. The lack of any info on the other maps worries me a lot.

MrBig said:
I've gotten more kills in the BF3 beta than I have throughout all the time I have played BC2. The netcode is infinitely better. People actually die when I shoot where their character model currently is!

Ugh, I highly disagree.

I got so many hits not registering (you can see the hit icon displaying).

People who wouldn't get hurt no matter what, one shot kill, getting killed behind cover.

I mean it has the potential to work better than BC2 (which was far from perfect) but right now is a mess.

MNC said:
I love the health in BF3 more than in BC2. It's fucking ridiculous how I can unload a clip in a character in BC2 and not get the kill. Then he sees me, fires a few rounds and he gets me.

You can definitely tell (and it's a fact ofcourse) there's different netcode and hit registration. I really need to readjust myself if I play BC2 after BF3.

Stop using the PP2000. lol

Deadly

questionmark said:

I posted about this earlier in the thread too. Another member said that client-side detection is actually better than server side and I really can't understand how that can be. The video pretty much speaks for itself.

I really hope DICE gives us some sort of explanation on this decision.

spicy cho

Relaxed Muscle said:
Ugh, I highly disagree.

I got so many hits not registering (you can see the hit icon displaying).

People who wouldn't get hurt no matter what, one shot kill, getting killed behind cover.

I mean it has the potential to work better than BC2 (which was far from perfect) but right now is a mess.
DICE sucks at netcode it's quite clear at this point. I've been dying a second after retreating behind a wall or diving behind cover since BF2. I find bf3 far more playable though because the weapons have a lot more punch, so at least it doesn't feel like my guns shoot confetti. I'll tolerate dying in one shot on occasion knowing that everyone will go down relatively fast.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
spicy cho said:
DICE sucks at netcode it's quite clear at this point. I've been dying a second after retreating behind a wall or diving behind cover since BF2. I find bf3 far more playable though because the weapons have a lot more punch, so at least it doesn't feel like my guns shoot confetti. I'll tolerate dying in one shot on occasion knowing that everyone will go down relatively fast.
That's a side effect of lag compensation, which is something that is used in CS as well.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/...ocol_Design_and_Optimization#Lag_Compensation

jaaz

questionmark said:

I've also experienced all of these, especially the getting killed while behind cover. It's happened to me while ducking into rooms, behind rocks or concrete barriers. Worse yet, some idiots have realized this and purposefully shoot at you behind cover to get a glitch kill. Pretty frustrating when you are trying to play the game tactically.

One other issue includes getting killed by players that appear invisible--the kill cam shows the player name but the player itself is invisible, as if you got killed by a ghost. This one is probably a cheat though.

Thinking of stepping away from the beta and just playing retail when (hopefully) all of these problems are fixed and punkbuster is enabled.

JB1981

Why did they have to change how health was handled in BF BC 2? It was perfect. BC2 even in beta form absolutely shit on this game

MrBig

Jack Scofield said:
This is amazing. THIS is what I want from a Battlefield game, not the lame mode DICE gave us in the beta. What's the player cap for consoles? I'll be playing this game on the 360 but that map looks MASSIVE. Hopefully it's not a wasteland on consoles.
24 :(
When I'm playing it on my 360 there are moments on the first stage on Metro in which no one fires for 30 seconds or more. Huge contrast to my PC experience, and thats a small map

Menelaus said:
Lucky for you, this is what you're getting.

When those trees sway from the tank shell explosion at :26...damn. Dont let my 360 down, DICE. That ish better be in the inferior console version.

MrBig said:
24 :(
When I'm playing it on my 360 there are moments on the first stage on Metro in which no one fires for 30 seconds or more. Huge contrast to my PC experience, and thats a small map

Really? I would've guessed 32 at least. Fuck, that's a huge disappointment. I don't have the time (or frankly, the interest) in building a good PC, so I was hoping the console versions could compete with the PC in terms of gameplay, if not graphics.

JB1981 said:
Why did they have to change how health was handled in BF BC 2? It was perfect. BC2 even in beta form absolutely shit on this game

Yeah.......no. BC2 health was nearing Halo levels. Yuck... love BF3's health system.

Emily Chu

Banned
IchigoSharingan said:
Yeah.......no. BC2 health was nearing Halo levels. Yuck... love BF3's health system.

yup hope HC is 1-2 shots kill

and as with all sniper rifles 1 shot to the head should kill ALWAYS

Well I reinstalled windows 7 for 64 bit, and am having an issue with origin. I have the original bf3 directory folder copied, but origin will not recognize the files whatsoever. How can I restore the game without redownloading it?

Relaxed Muscle said:
I figure they're trying to put it as a downside...but then, why can you turn it off at all in the first place if that was the intention.

Anyway, maybe they are in a bad mood, after all the game isn't even on Gold and we are less than 3 weeks away from release.
it's a downside to squad spawning!

Top Bottom