• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

GJS

shagg_187 said:
I remember the beta released months before the game. I also remember the demo released a few weeks before the release of the game.

Alpha was the beta. This is the demo. Yes, battlelog is new, but why not create it in-game is boggling my mind.

Again: when it's in-game, you don't have the maintain anything. When it's browser based, you have to make sure that the add-ons or popup blockers or download managers or adblock doesn't interfere with it, and you have to make sure that the newer version of the browser doesn't mess around with it. I don't get that problem with Bad Company 2, yet with this I see loads of problems.

It's good for lone players who want to quick join. For everything else, you have to manually refresh the browser to see if it's under effect.

But yes... it's a beta. I paid for this beta and I have every right to complain... :)

I bet the console version are much more stable.

If you filter the servers to 5+ available slots you rarely have to go past the first screen of servers anyway.

I personally like battlelog, in BF2, 2142 and BC2 we always had to wait for the game to load, then wait for the server browser to load, then wait for it to refresh etc etc.

On battlelog I just filter to 5+ slots, sort by ping and join, game pops up and I'm in. The game probably wouldn't have handled alt tabbing this well if it wasn't designed around battlelog either.

TheExodu5

Banned
Know what's great? When you shoot with a bolt-action sniper rifle, it doesn't bolt until you either left click or right click. That's awesome for checking range and checking your hit.

IMACOMPUTA

shagg_187 said:
I remember the beta released months before the game. I also remember the demo released a few weeks before the release of the game.

Alpha was the beta. This is the demo. Yes, battlelog is new, but why not create it in-game is boggling my mind.

Again: when it's in-game, you don't have the maintain anything. When it's browser based, you have to make sure that the add-ons or popup blockers or download managers or adblock doesn't interfere with it, and you have to make sure that the newer version of the browser doesn't mess around with it. I don't get that problem with Bad Company 2, yet with this I see loads of problems.

It's good for lone players who want to quick join. For everything else, you have to manually refresh the browser to see if it's under effect.

But yes... it's a beta. I paid for this beta and I have every right to complain... :)

I bet the console version are much more stable.

To be honest, i played the beta and the demo and wasn't happy with the game until after launch.

Of course you have the right to complain, but you act as if these issues won't be fixed. Sure, it sucks. I agree. It'd be great to be perfect at launch.. but I'm willing to accept that this is mostly not going to be the case.

I guarantee there will be a day 1 patch that fixes the critical issues you speak of.

matt05891

Deadly Cyclone said:
Yep, no MoH code yet for me for 360. Hey, at least it's not a week or something! :)
I actually called them and the women told me because I called I am on a list or some shit and should get an email within 20 minutes. Granted it's been about 40 since then and no email but she told me many people didn't get one and they are all sent out so they can still get the ones that didn't get a code one.

darthbob

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Code Redeemed, Beta downloaded, Drivers Updated, and now here we go.............

Oh any suggestions for free get programs to tell FPS and/or take uncompressed screencaps?

MSI Afterburner, Fraps, etc.

U2NUMB

Game is sooo broke on the 360. Squads just simply do not work.. bugs all over the place. this feels like a true beta which should be about 4 months or more from release. Very worried about what will ship.

U2NUMB said:
Game is sooo broke on the 360. Squads just simply do not work.. bugs all over the place. this feels like a true beta which should be about 4 months or more from release. Very worried about what will ship.
Most demos are usually a couple of builds behind the current qa testing build

Cutwolf

I'm trying to run at 2560x1440, but when I do, the HUD does not fit inside the screen.

Example:

11kjhog.jpg

I also get texture flickering, particularly when a new round loads.

AMD 6990+6970 in crossfire

Samsung 27A850D 2560x1440 monitor

Sigfodr

Downloading PC beta now. I'm still new enough to PC gaming that I've never heard of Punkbusters until now. I came across it in the EULA and was concerned about it being able to scan my memory and hard drive, as well as take screenshots. I read the privacy policy on the official site and it relaxed me enough to do the download. Still I'm a little uncomfortable with this software and it's freedom on my machine. Should I be so concerned?

Nelo Ice

Banned
well betas insanely fun and im so glad i started playing red orchestra 2 before this. its taught me to not run out there like a dumbass and search the area before advancing lol.

darthbob said:
MSI Afterburner, Fraps, etc.
Noted.

So far the game is so damn fun, I have it on Ultra 1080p all maxed. Only problem is no sound, and I mean no sound. I wonder what the hell happened? Lots of graphics bugs weird stuff, but otherwise, not too bad.

Hate to be annoying but anybody else having trouble with accessing the beta on playstation network? Do you have to enter the serial before you can download the game? I have the serial but it says I don't have rights with my account.

rabhw

The game is really fun, but boy is this map awful / boring.

I've played a lot of rounds, even with a pretty good team I've still never seen the 3rd stage of the map heh.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
Silly question, does anyone know what the different control layouts are for PS3? Not a big fan of the default, but I don't see anywhere where it tells you what the different layouts actually are, just names: "default", "alternate", etc.

Arsenic

SomeOneInaHat said:
I bought the limited edition of Battlefield 3 from Origin. Where do I find my Beta?
Should've gotten an email with the beta in it.. If you didn't, try validating your email on EA's website (its probably different from the one you signed up on). Once you validate you'll get an email immediately

GJS said:
If you filter the servers to 5+ available slots you rarely have to go past the first screen of servers anyway.

I personally like battlelog, in BF2, 2142 and BC2 we always had to wait for the game to load, then wait for the server browser to load, then wait for it to refresh etc etc.

On battlelog I just filter to 5+ slots, sort by ping and join, game pops up and I'm in. The game probably wouldn't have handled alt tabbing this well if it wasn't designed around battlelog either.

As great as battlelog is, I would love the ability to have an in-game server/browser. Why do I have to filter things out if I click "sort by number of players in a room" and it doesn't? It's a beta, I guess it'll be fixed, but browser based gaming is never a good idea. Facebook games are shit not because it's facebook but because it's browser based. It's also one of the reason why iphone games are much better even though they are of the same magnitude in terms of playability; it's the fact that it's a very closed system and everyone has a unified device.

All they had to do was copy what they have in Bad Company 2, or in Battlefield 2.

I also hate the fact that you can't create your own squad even though there is an option to make the squad private. Most likely will be fixed in the final game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
didnt like bc2 mainly due to the gunplay not being satisfying, but the vids of this look loads better. reminds me of CoD before it went over the top. basically, like a modern CoD2. is that a fair assessment?

Arsenic said:
Should've gotten an email with the beta in it.. If you didn't, try validating your email on EA's website (its probably different from the one you signed up on). Once you validate you'll get an email immediately

This didn't work... what the fuck's going on?

gl0w

ClovingSteam said:
Hate to be annoying but anybody else having trouble with accessing the beta on playstation network? Do you have to enter the serial before you can download the game? I have the serial but it says I don't have rights with my account.
I didn't get or used any key/serial to download the game. It just popup on the store a few hours ago. I own the MOHLE. Try to search in the store under Demo section.

belvedere

Junior Butler
pillarofdawn said:
Lol nope! It seems to me Battlelog is very wonky at this point, hopefully they get its kinks worked out!

Ok, just made a discovery. My friends and I were trying to get partied up and all join and I wasn't seeing various windows and prompts. Turns out Avast was blocking some things, but not voice chat, just the prompts to join a game and things like that.

I had to exclude the Battlelog plugin folder in Program Files.

zedge

Played a round, I really like it. The animations of the players running and moving around really stood out to me, looks just awesome. It feels really good when moving around and shooting. It plays how I thought it would, even better. This is gonna take up alot of my time.

Runs great too, high settings, 1920x1080 on my pc.

Core i3
Radeon 6850
4 GB ram

Please add me on origin.

xZeDgEx

Arsenic

zedge said:
Played a round, I really like it. The animations of the players running and moving around really stood out to me, looks just awesome. It feels really good when moving around and shooting. It plays how I thought it would, even better. This is gonna take up alot of my time.

Runs great too, high settings, 1920x1080 on my pc.

Core i3
Radeon 6850
4 GB ram

Please add me on origin.

xZeDgEx
Same. I also have a 6850 stock with an i5-760 stock...and the game runs awesome. Ill try using fraps or whatever to see what my fps is. I can already say it runs a hella lot better than metro 2033

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Dreamgazer said:
you mean you can't turn on or you can't off?

Saw a pc stream earlier where someone did the usual "shoot through a teammate".
I mean I can't filter servers on the server browser based on Friendly Fire.

I'm too tired of friendly fire. I can't stand getting shot in the back because some idiot can't tell teams/didn't see me/wanted to get the kill for himself. I'm also too tired of listening to steps behind me, so I turn around and shoot without seeing, because i'm afraid it's somebody trying to get my dogtag, and it's some random dude from my squad that respawned on me and I didn't notice.

I want to be able to list all servers with Friendly Fire OFF, but there's no such filtering option.

DryvBy

I have a pretty pimp audio setup. This game sounds terrific. Probably the 2nd best I've heard on a console. Boomy loud gun fire. I wish I could play all night but it's already bed time.

drizzle said:
There's no Friendly Fire filter. Bravo, Dice.

:/ Also wish Ff was on.

Game just doesn't feel right. No magic, no spark it just feels lifeless.

Hopefully its just the map but I highly doubt thats the case.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
gibon3z said:
:/ Also wish Ff was on.

Game just doesn't feel right. No magic, no spark it just feels lifeless.

Hopefully its just the map but I highly doubt thats the case.
FF is default to off, but the server can change it as they see fit.

But nobody can filter it on the server browser. You want a FF ON server? It's luck of the draw. I want a FF OFF server, and I can't find one.

Top Bottom