• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

iNvid02

caspian was amazing, couldnt kill anyone because of the lag so just messed around
got to use all the vehicles though, some shots. looks much better in motion

also, doing a complete reinstall of the beta improved performance a lot.

bf3_2011_09_28_18_58_3nagg.png

bf3_2011_09_28_18_58_4ma8l.png

bf3_2011_09_28_18_59_5bx2e.png

bf3_2011_09_28_19_08_3jbvk.png

The Stealth Fox

MuseManMike said:
What are your thoughts about the rate of unlocks for specific kits? I feel like it's slightly inflated for value/longevity.
I definitely feel that way too. Battlefield has always been like that, but I wish they didn't do it for weapon attachments/vehicles.

desu said:
Its beyond me what a crappy job EA is doing with the beta, communication and so on. They spend millions on crappy advertising but are not able to shine with so "simple" things.

My faith for the final is pretty much not existing, it will run for sure and you will be able to have fun, but it will be Betafield 3 with a at least 3 months of payed beta time.
Having a limited server count with passwords for Caspian is horrible.

I feel so lucky to be on GAF where I can hop in to servers and know the passwords. So many people left playing Metro when Caspian is absolutely playable.

Terrible choice if they don't roll it out publicly soon.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I hate how you need to unlock attachments for either side, pain in the ass getting a good loadout on one side and going back to nothing on the other.

I dont know where all the hate is coming from, but me and 3 other friends were having an absolute blast last night. The only issue for us was the fact that there isnt some kind of squad priority when joining in from battlelog and its not easy to then get together in the game.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I just had a game where I tried to learn to fly the jet and it went pretty bad. I'm definitely going to need to plug in the 360 pad, I think, because like helicopters I can't really fly for shit. I did get lucky and have an enemy jet line up perfectly when I was fumbling around and shot him a good few times which did feel awesome!

Also, any idea HOW you bring down the antenna? I read that DICE said it could be done, but I've shot tank shells, crashed my jet into it, etc etc and it doesn't even dent. I'm going to assume you need to get a lot of people and a lot of C4 or something.

... I really want to see it!

lol.gif

I know what you mean. If I'd known we were gonna be able to play Caspian, I would have bought a 360.

Yeah, haven't seen the tower brought down :-\ I REALLY hope Destruction is toned down in the Beta--I'm just not seeing a big improvement over BC2 yet. There are certain things that just don't react to explosions at all.

Wow, I've tried 3 different games on 3 different occasions and right before we win, i lose connection, I don't think I'll ever unlock anything

Mr. Snrub said:
lol.gif

I know what you mean. If I'd known we were gonna be able to play Caspian, I would have bought a 360.

Yeah, haven't seen the tower brought down :-\ I REALLY hope Destruction is toned down in the Beta--I'm just not seeing a big improvement over BC2 yet. There are certain things that just don't react to explosions at all.
So far I can't judge the destruction. In BC2 there's loads of maps with building after building that just get decimated. Metro has barely anything to get destroyed and Caspian is so big that any destruction usually doesn't happen around me - not to mention there's not many buildings on that map either.

I do find that when I'm driving a tank and level a fence etc it tends to get caught on it, though. Likewise, when I'm on foot, obstacles that shouldn't stop me do, such as a small bit of debris that is barely visible. It just feels unpolished in that respect.

Ikuu said:
I hate how you need to unlock attachments for either side, pain in the ass getting a good loadout on one side and going back to nothing on the other.
Me too. It gives it a more CS vibe in a way, but I prefer having the guns I like all the time. BC2 got it right.

Also, I can't pick up the guns that dead people drop with my use button. I should check to see if it's a separate setting, but if not then it's glitched for me.

KageMaru

I think people shouldn't be jumping to conclusions based on this beta, especially on the consoles. We have no idea how old the beta build is, so it's likely things could be much improved for the final release.

Here's hoping anyways.... >_>

The worse part of the disconnects is that if you try to connect again it says that you are already connected to it... when it clearly just seconds ago it told you that you timed out...

I've asked twice but no answer :( I'll try again: does anyone know if "headphones" or "war tapes" sounds better when using headphones? It sounds like a stupid question but I think I remember with BC2 people saying war tapes was best even when using headphones... I'd just like to clarify.

The Stealth Fox

Foliorum Viridum said:
So far I can't judge the destruction. In BC2 there's loads of maps with building after building that just get decimated. Metro has barely anything to get destroyed and Caspian is so big that any destruction usually doesn't happen around me - not to mention there's not many buildings on that map either.

I do find that when I'm driving a tank and level a fence etc it tends to get caught on it, though. Likewise, when I'm on foot, obstacles that shouldn't stop me do, such as a small bit of debris that is barely visible. It just feels unpolished in that respect.

Me too. It gives it a more CS vibe in a way, but I prefer having the guns I like all the time. BC2 got it right.

Also, I can't pick up the guns that dead people drop with my use button. I should check to see if it's a separate setting, but if not then it's glitched for me.

Press R

Kyaw

Was playing with Foliorum and trying out Jets...

They are so good. I had fun dogfighting a good enemy pilot and landing a few of the machine gun hits on him. Didn't kill him though. :(

When your jet gets disabled, it becomes uncontrollable to fly. Really nice touch.
I think the skybox stalling is bugged though, the jet comes to like 60mph and you can't manoeuvre it at all.

Menelaus

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
I've asked twice but no answer :( I'll try again: does anyone know if "headphones" or "war tapes" sounds better when using headphones? It sounds like a stupid question but I think I remember with BC2 people saying war tapes was best even when using headphones... I'd just like to clarify.
Try it yourself and pick the one you like better instead of asking over and over.

Logical, no?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
just spent an hour on the caspian border. i finally feel like i've played battlefield 3.

the mushiness of the gunplay that felt so pedestrian in comparison with ro2 makes so much more sense on these vast adventure playgrounds. even graphically, while i felt totally underwhelmed by metro, i feel caspian border is right on the performance/eye-candy sweet spot for my particular setup.

Cobra84

KageMaru said:
I think people shouldn't be jumping to conclusions based on this beta, especially on the consoles. We have no idea how old the beta build is, so it's likely things could be much improved for the final release.

Here's hoping anyways.... >_>
Should be the newest. Using anything else as your demo is just a good way to kill sales. I'm definitely not falling for the old build bullshit from every buggy beta/demo again. If things have been fixed, then let me play that build.

belvedere said:
Do we know if they even intend on updating the beta client to address some of these issues?

They updated the Alpha, so it's possible.

Juancho9 said:
I dont know where all the hate is coming from, but me and 3 other friends were having an absolute blast last night. The only issue for us was the fact that there isnt some kind of squad priority when joining in from battlelog and its not easy to then get together in the game.

Same. Game is fucking fun, even with it's issues.

I had the most badass moment yesterday and I wish I had FRAPS running but I was respecting the secrecy of Caspian Border.

A tank was harassing "checkpoint" and "antenna" from the middle of the field. Jets were dogfighting in the air. I decided to sneak up to the tank to take it down. As soon as the tank comes in my view and points the cannon at me, a chopper (most likely piloted by Rambo) shows up and fires missles at the tank. Seeing this, I pulled out my Rocket and shot the tank.

BOOM! FELT SO GOOD, MAN! I said "Holy shit!" out loud looking at the sheer beauty of this awesomeness. Chopper gently flies away after watching the destruction.

So who from Gaf was that flying the tank earlier? Own up...

Also, are you guys using the xbox controller to fly the jets? How do I set that up, key binding, etc...

Calibur

Menelaus said:
September 29 - Open access across all platforms. Console players will be able to find the beta client in their console's store. Release time TBD

Will this beta go live 12midnight ?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
shagg_187 said:
I had the most badass moment yesterday and I wish I had FRAPS running but I was respecting the secrecy of Caspian Border.

A tank was harassing "checkpoint" and "antenna" from the middle of the field. Jets were dogfighting in the air. I decided to sneak up to the tank to take it down. As soon as the tank comes in my view and points the cannon at me, a chopper (most likely piloted by Rambo) shows up and fires missles at the tank. Seeing this, I pulled out my Rocket and shot the tank.

BOOM! FELT SO GOOD, MAN! I said "Holy shit!" out loud looking at the sheer beauty of this awesomeness. Chopper gently flies away after watching the destruction.

I almost heard the Bf3 song while reading this!

Ikuu said:
Hell yeah!! I was like "I know I had a scope on 1 of these guns"...lol

sk3tch said:
Oh boo hoo. You put it in the BETA files, you put the servers public and you KNOW the password is going to get out.

Make the thing public already ffs. It's just retarded and blaming the community for sharing the best aspect of the beta just makes me mad.

Megasoum

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Oh boo hoo. You put it in the BETA files, you put the servers public and you KNOW the password is going to get out.

Make the thing public already ffs. It's just retarded and blaming the community for sharing the best aspect of the beta just makes me mad.

Agree. I'm so fucking tired of this guy! I don't even know him and I just feel like punching him lol. He's really a terrible community manage following a terrible marketing strategy.

sk3tch

belvedere said:
Wasn't he the one teasing about some awesome occurrence today that would make the PC crowd happy?

Maybe they wanted to release this to the public (i.e. available and in rotation) versus the passwords leaking out.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
is there a full screen tactical map? the ghetto little expanded gps thing in the corner really doesn't cut it on the bigger maps.

zomaha

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, and 1943.

I think 43 is probably better than BC2, haha. Shame about the lack of support with maps.

If the network optimization were better on 43, I'd agree.

And I'm not sure DICE understands human nature...you give passwords to Gamestop employees/family members/other humans outside of the dev team and naturally it's going to leak.

Megasoum said:
Agree. I'm so fucking tired of this guy! I don't even know him and I just feel like punching him lol. He's really a terrible community manage following a terrible marketing strategy.
It's just dick teasing and putting down the community when they show passion for a great map.

"OH YOU HORRIBLE GAMERS FOR ENJOYING SOMETHING WE MADE OVER OUR SHITTY MAP!"

If you never wanted it to be played by us, don't include it in the files and hide the servers. Lock it to certain accounts. ANYTHING but a password that will inevitably leak and spread.

There's no way to spin this to blame anyone but themselves.

sk3tch said:

What were they expecting?!

They release a beta to test their servers and systems, so they give the alpha map to everyone, while locking the much better map to a part of the community for "testing".

Top Bottom