• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
U2NUMB said:
I think the main worry on consoles is that we are lets say 3+ weeks out from release and they are gonna let everyone in. 99% of those people will consider it a demo not a beta or alpha.

I agree. DICE could be doing more harm than good with this. Unless they're planning on releasing an actual "DEMO" before the game hits or day and date within its first week.

Otherwise, people will think the final game will be like this and just deem it as shit. To be honest, betas do more harm than good sometimes. Unless they're really glorified demos that can be nitpicked, I wouldn't want to release one. :)

So can anyone tell me why in the hell the kill cam is the way it is? Whoever allowed it to be implemented this far in development is on drugs. When the enemy is against a wall, the camera just doesn't know what to do, the poor thing.

Just saw a tank being slammed 500feet to the ground only to catapult again once it exploded hahaha

CVH9O.jpg

This game has alot of these glitches, specially with ragdolls.

ii Stryker said:
I think the problem for most 360 players is they'll be expecting a beta as polished as the Halo 3, Reach, and Gears 3 betas. This will cause confusion with the general masses.

Ah, gotcha, not familiar with those betas. I will say that the Beta seems to have more issues than the Alpha even did.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, and 1943.

I think 43 is probably better than BC2, haha. Shame about the lack of support with maps.

Nice. Was just curious for your thoughts on Conquest. It kinda feels like I haven't played Conquest since Battlefield 2, so it's basically a new experience for me.

Mr. Snrub said:
Wth all the complaints about the 360 version, I thought it was completely broken. But what everyone is describing (MCOM indicators wrong, HUD showing text from last death, flickering, kill cam going into ground/viewing ramp, etc.)...these are all issues on the PC beta as well. They're not game stopping--it's a beta.

I think the concern is that it's less polished than the PC alpha from two months ago with less than a month until launch day.

Big day 1 patch incoming?

Stantron

I had two games back to back last night time-out literally seconds before my team was going to win. None of the unlocks or xp counted either times. Strange. Other games finished fine.

Holy shit these graphics on 2600k/GTX580. Wow.

I'm still getting used to keyboard and mouse controls. Mouse is fine, it's the wasd for movement that is proving difficult for me. Is it possible to use the left stick of the 360 windows controller for movement, while keeping mouse for aim, or is that just dumb and I should learn keyboard?

Ysiadmihi said:
Don't get your hopes up.

My code wasn't e-mailed to me, so I had to get Origin support to add the beta to my account. However, once it was added to my account and installed, trying to log in to Battlelog gives me a "This account is not allowed to login" message, so I can't play anyway.

Add to that, I've been trying to get my preorder canceled since last night and haven't heard a thing back since. Shit is pretty much a disgrace.

So wait, I also can't sign into battlelog and am getting the same message.

I never asked for this.

feel

I appreciate all the detail going on in the 360 visually, but it's not worth it if it looks messy, jumpy and glitchy overall. BC2 looked clean.

Game is a blast though.

jokkir

It might change when the final product is out. I remember BC2 had several graphical changes when it was released compared to the beta.

Spl1nter said:
happy to see that they buffed the sniper rifles from alpha. I think they have done a good job in gun design. Especially in giving a role to each class. Sniper actually feels like a medium-long range support class.

Mobile spawn points are way to hard to notice however. They should either emit a sound of visual.
they beep and it gets louder when you get closer... as least on 360 they do...

woober

Metalmurphy said:
Also need to know this. Can't find a way to switch to missiles. Or use flares.

According to battlelog, there's an unlocke called Heatseeker (which I assume will be the air to air missile), and another unlock called IR Flares.

Nizz

Finally was able to download this on PS3 last night. One thing right off the bat that felt good were the controls. BF3>>>BC2 as far as controls. In BC2 I had to have the sensitivity maxed out but in the BF3 beta I turned it up two notches from the default and it felt great.

The animations are very, very sweet. From jumping over obstacles and seeing your legs to crawling while prone to knifing someone and taking their dog tags it all looks great. The lighting is also really nice. The light coming from flashlight attachments looks nice.

One thing about the graphics though, I wasn't as wowed as I thought I would have been. I really don't seem to see much improvement over Bad Company 2's graphics (besides the noticeable lighting). I do like the FOV more in BF3 than BC2's.

The game is really fun to play. Love the weapon sway, recoil feels good. Can you still spot by pressing select? I kept trying to spot enemies for my team by hitting select but it didn't seem to work.

Zareth

Just a hunch but have you tried using V like you do to switch your regular guns fire modes for the rifles to switch to missiles ect.

Eric WK

purple cobra said:
The game is really fun to play. Love the weapon sway, recoil feels good. Can you still spot by pressing select? I kept trying to spot enemies for my team by hitting select but it didn't seem to work.

Didn't work for me on PC with a controller either. I thought it was just a bug because of the PC/controller combo, but maybe not.

goodfella

I have to say after giving the beta a good go, and playing a couple of rounds of Caspian, This game is definitely inferior to BC2 in some ways.

Guns are less varied and fun, especially snipers.
The Ballistics model seems less interesting and clear. There does seem to be bullet drop but it is not as transparent.
Graphics are a bit messy and unpolished.
Maps are worse.
Where is the overview map?

All of the above can be fixed with more time invested to unlock guns and maybe the maps are better in the final release.

But this is supposed to be Battlefield 3! The fact that the flaws are so apparent early on is a bit disconcerting.

Still fun though.

belvedere

Junior Butler
goodfella said:
I have to say after giving the beta a good go, and playing a couple of rounds of Caspian, This game is definitely inferior to BC2 in some ways.

Guns are less varied and fun, especially snipers.
The Ballistics model seems less interesting and clear. There does seem to be bullet drop but it is not as transparent.
Graphics are a bit messy and unpolished.
Maps are worse.
Where is the overview map?

All of the above can be fixed with more time invested to unlock guns and maybe the maps are better in the final release.

But this is supposed to be Battlefield 3! The fact that the flaws are so apparent early on is a bit disconcerting.

Still fun though.

On console?

XxCGSxX

Oh God, I know it's a beta but the 360 version is fucking unplayable, falling off the map at the first part of the map EVERY TIME, flashing green/white screen, getting stuck, run suddenly doesn't work when you spawn. This is the worst beta I've ever played, If I were DICE I would cancel the beta on 360, it's going to make more harm than good. The Alpha on PC was better than this in terms of gameplay bugs and glitches when I played it, graphics are fine tho. Stopped playing after 3 matches, horrible.
Oh and I also saw someone running in the crucified position, just like the NBA Elite glitch.

Metalmurphy said:
Wierd, searched it on the EU store but it said I couldn't download it on my account.

Same thing here, I found the beta but it said the beta wasn't available to this account... a couple of my PSN+ friends were able to download it though so maybe they got a headstart since the EU Blog said the following:

First, we are very happy to announce the dates for the eagerly awaited Battlefield 3 Open Beta. The Beta is open to all and will run from September 29th to October 10th

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
SomeOneInaHat said:
I'm still waiting for my PC code. I bought the LE off of Origin on August 5th.

This is infuriating.

have you redeemed a code that came in email after you activated MOH?

Mr. Snrub said:
Yes, vehicle specializations are unlocks. Makes it so easy to take out aircraft when they don't have flares.

So stupid, basically your getting ur ass kicked and can't get kills because you have no missiles and flares, but you can't get missiles and flares cause you need kills for that -.-

Sethos

Banned
I'm getting progressively tired and frustrated with this game. There's so many issues and bugs it's unbelievable, game seems even more broken than the alpha. They buffed the marksman rifle so every fucking tard from here to the end of the world is now using it, just sitting in their spawn picking off people. Every other server I seem to be sinking into the ground and just a second ago I was apparently shot by someone ... under the map? I can't believe this is basically a retail product they will be patching day 1 -- It's broken and not very enjoyable.

Mr.Green

So I guess the key-binding UI is working properly for some of you people?

- I can't bind my mouse thumb buttons.
- I can't bind all of my G13 keys even though they're all mapped to "real" keys.
- If I press ESC to cancel a key binding I lose the mouse until I back off out of the menus.
- I even once had to alt-tab out of the game and kill it stuck at the binding screen.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Game needs a lot of work, seems like you take damage even when there is no way you can be hit, game feels laggy quite often, also has the usual BF bullshit of shooting someone in the face and few times and they end up killing you.

Spotting is also completely shit and never seems to work.

Is there a new password for caspian? And how are people figuring these passwords out?

And what do you audiophiles recommend for headphone settings? War tapes or headphones?

Metalmurphy said:
So stupid, basically your getting ur ass kicked and can't get kills because you have no missiles and flares, but you can't get missiles and flares cause you need kills for that -.-

Need to dominate the machine guns on the planes first i guess.

Mr. Snrub said:
Nice. Was just curious for your thoughts on Conquest. It kinda feels like I haven't played Conquest since Battlefield 2, so it's basically a new experience for me.
Conquest is the only mode I've really played in BC2. Done a little bit of Rush, but it felt bad. The shooting isn't good enough for a mode like that in BC2.

Rush I feel is better in 3, but Conquest is still king. Honestly, I haven't had a proper game yet. I've been too busy running about Caspian, trying out the jets, etc etc. It feels like everyone is doing the same - I've yet to join a game where there was a real effort to take and defend points hard like there is in BC2.

Caspian feels bigger and like a better battlefield than anything in BC2 already, though. I just love running to a capture point, looking up and seeing three jets having a dogfight. So fucking cool.

I just had a game where I tried to learn to fly the jet and it went pretty bad. I'm definitely going to need to plug in the 360 pad, I think, because like helicopters I can't really fly for shit. I did get lucky and have an enemy jet line up perfectly when I was fumbling around and shot him a good few times which did feel awesome!

Also, any idea HOW you bring down the antenna? I read that DICE said it could be done, but I've shot tank shells, crashed my jet into it, etc etc and it doesn't even dent. I'm going to assume you need to get a lot of people and a lot of C4 or something.

... I really want to see it!

The Stealth Fox

woober said:
According to battlelog, there's an unlocke called Heatseeker (which I assume will be the air to air missile), and another unlock called IR Flares.

If that's true, that's the most hilarious thing I've ever heard.

I think they should have an unlock to be able to use the turret on a tank, just for the lulz.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Sethos said:
I'm getting progressively tired and frustrated with this game. There's so many issues and bugs it's unbelievable, game seems even more broken than the alpha. They buffed the marksman rifle so every fucking tard from here to the end of the world is now using it, just sitting in their spawn picking off people. Every other server I seem to be sinking into the ground and just a second ago I was apparently shot by someone ... under the map? I can't believe this is basically a retail product they will be patching day 1 -- It's broken and not very enjoyable.

Does the sinking into the terrain issue happen on Caspian as well? I noticed on multiple servers lat night, that some of the explosion generated craters would cause this, or so it seemed, but usually all in the same area. I think it was the "B" MCOM, the last MCOM on the left facing the tunnel before you enter the subway, I frequently saw a huge crater and if you went near it, you'd get stuck.

Operation Metro obviously.

Sethos

Banned
belvedere said:
Does the sinking into the terrain issue happen on Caspian as well? I noticed on multiple servers lat night, that some of the explosion generated craters would cause this, or so it seemed, but usually all in the same area. I think it was the "B" MCOM, the last MCOM on the left facing the tunnel before you enter the subway, I frequently saw a huge crater and if you went near it, you'd get stuck.

Only seen it on Metro and it started right in the attackers spawn and just kept doing it everywhere, I kept bouncing up and down like I was sinking - Couldn't aim, couldn't do shit and kept getting picked off.

abuC

Stantron said:
I had two games back to back last night time-out literally seconds before my team was going to win. None of the unlocks or xp counted either times. Strange. Other games finished fine.

Holy shit these graphics on 2600k/GTX580. Wow.

I'm still getting used to keyboard and mouse controls. Mouse is fine, it's the wasd for movement that is proving difficult for me. Is it possible to use the left stick of the 360 windows controller for movement, while keeping mouse for aim, or is that just dumb and I should learn keyboard?
Check out the Logitech g13, it has an analog stick for movement.

desu

Its beyond me what a crappy job EA is doing with the beta, communication and so on. They spend millions on crappy advertising but are not able to shine with so "simple" things.

My faith for the final is pretty much not existing, it will run for sure and you will be able to have fun, but it will be Betafield 3 with a at least 3 months of payed beta time.

desu said:
Its beyond me what a crappy job EA is doing with the beta, communication and so on. They spend millions on crappy advertising but are not able to shine with so "simple" things.

My faith for the final is pretty much not existing, it will run for sure and you will be able to have fun, but it will be Betafield 3 with a at least 3 months of payed beta time.

I really cant wait for Friday night, mostly because it will be total mayhem, yesterday it was almost impossible to find a server, i had to keep trying to follow random people on battlelog because the quick match is completely broken.

Top Bottom