• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

So I join gl0w in a game. He's playing on the PSK public server with a bunch of clan mates and only a few randoms.
Metro Conquest, no big deal.
I storm in, take 2 guys out and die. Repawn, rush in to take over point B, take out 2 guys with my 870 and slugs, one camper that's peeking around a far-away corner with a rocket between the eyes.
Make my way towards the flag, start capping, look behind the wall kill another one.
Two guys spot me, I retreat since I'm out of ammo and await them with my M9.

*DISCONNECT* *You were kicked by a server admin*

What a crock of shit.

welcome to meta gaming.

I want 1943 version!!!!!!!!!

http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/battlefield-1943-ps3.html

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Battlefield-1943/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025841097e

After everyone left, I stayed with that dude for at least 15 minutes more. Just the two of us. I killed him a lot, sometimes he would arm, but I always managed to disarm before it went out. He never abandoned the game! What a trooper! I sent him a compliment.

The only way to balance it for people complaining is removing the rounds from the game. I said that a long time ago. Faceless already mentioned that they're still good, just not uber powerful. People will keep using then.

yeah, Seks and i played Metro and VERY FEW people were using frag rounds. suppressor usage was down yesterday too... FAMAS was nonexistant.

Wonder if EA is going to spend another $40K for another patch on 360 to remove the damn MAV riding. And hearing some say the audio still glitches out is very disappointing.

i don't think i've played enough to say it happens less often, but it seems like it could be going in that direction.

finnay i was able to rent a server, and i can say that the tweaks and options available are pretty extensive. I'm surprised.
Do you control your server solely through BF3 itself, or do you do it via a web browser? Also what controls do you have over people who can play on it?

If you could grab some screenshots I'd be indebted to you.

Shadybiz

From the couple of hours I played last night, squad joining seems to fixed.
Every time I joined someones game, I ended up in their squad, unless they already had 4 people in it.
/

Cool, thanks for that.

maybe they mean "joining a game from the menu as a party of 4 and having all 4 people ending up in the same game, on the same team, in the same squad.", which... i don't know if it's fixed, haven't tried yet, but i doubt it.

That is more along the lines of what I was referring to, yeah. Since we're a group of 4, we all party up at a designated time, and when we hit "Go," it usually becomes a total crapshoot no matter what we do (matchmaking, server browser, etc). I was hoping that would get fixed here. Having to spend 2-3 matches trying to actually get together is not a fun time. Crossing my fingers.

It only works on idiots (most people) and it helps to move in random directions. Also, I do not do it on maps that provide zero cover. It works well on places like D at Caspian Border, A at Karg, C at Op Firestorm, etc. Otherwise, yeah no, bad idea. Sure, I get shot down, but nobody can say I was not helping the team.

Sure, but I'm just extra anal about it.

Nothing rages me more when we lose a huge lead/game because people got "comfortable" and decided to hop on air vehicles for the rest of the game.

Especially when this happens with fellow gaffers.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
lol... mvp round, plus another flag attacker medal, and some VAL unlocks.... freeze right as we get the win screen

goddamit.

edit: I honestly don't know how to properly use the EMC jammer. :(

meppi

So I unwillingly join the Metro shitclan server again as I follow dreamgazer into a game.

Haven't even fired one shot. Start capping a flag. Kicked again. WTF.

If those retard admins of PSK don't want pubbies to enter their server then they should make it private. Oh and perhaps not call the server "public" in the title either. FFS

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
So I unwillingly join the Metro shitclan server again as I follow dreamgazer into a game.

Haven't even fired one shot. Start capping a flag. Kicked again. WTF.

If those retard admins of PSK don't want pubbies to enter their server then they should make it private. Oh and perhaps not call the server "public" in the title either. FFS
There's a thing called... passwords

tn2007

Edit: I honestly don't know how to properly use the EMC jammer. :(
My friend uses ECM jammer prior to the the second phase of a lock on and than flies below radar level. Than I use my flares if they fire off something guided until his ECM jammer regenerates.

paskowitz

Nothing rages me more when we lose a huge lead/game because people got "comfortable" and decided to hop on air vehicles for the rest of the game.

I understand. If I realize that the chopper is not working, I get out. But to be honest, nothing is better at quickly getting rid of tanks. If you are successful it also acts as a distraction, as the pissed off opposing team is now trying to shoot you down instead of capping objectives.

Overdoziz

Banned

If only air vehicles (especially jets) were more useful against ground units. It would also help if enemy air vehicles didn't respawn like 10 seconds after they're destroyed. As it is right now you have stay focused on enemies in the air all the time which makes it hard to support ground troops.

MrBig

If only air vehicles (especially jets) were more useful against ground units. It would also help if enemy air vehicles didn't respawn like 10 seconds after they're destroyed. As it is right now you have stay focused on enemies in the air all the time which makes it hard to support ground troops.

I don't know, I can get quite a decent amount of infantry/vehicle (mostly vehicle) kills as long as the other team doesn't have a pilot that is substantially better than me. I probably average 8-10 kills, topping out at around 20 if I go for Helis as well, if I'm sticking to jets the entire game.
F-35 is really damn good at killing tanks on Oman and Wake, sometimes I even bail from a flanker to grab an enemy F-35 if we have air dominance.

You can kill a tank in one pass with a rocket salvo + gunner firing at a tank from a heli, and a good gunner with thermal + tv can get a shitload of kills.

JJD

Air superiority can't win a game by itself. But with two equally skilled teams (on the ground) the one with air superiority will almost always win. It has happened before in GAF games. We were even superior on the ground, but in the end we were defeated as we almost could not use our armor as it would get utterly destroyed by air vehicles, and the other team had no such problem. I remember a Rush game some time ago on Firestorm that Blue was owning all our tanks on a jet while the other team marched with their tanks on our base.

Thankfully we're getting more and more good pilots now as new people are joining. On BC2 we were sorely lacking aggressive pilots besides Abu and Evolved. We had other people that could fly, but not on the level of those two if I remember well.

Now on BF3 Faceless has revealed himself a really good pilot (I don't remember you being so good on attack choppers on BC2 man!) and even Olimpia, a really great infantry and ground vehicle player started piloting quite well too!

I think my biggest issue as a player right now is that I'm really worthless with air vehicles. If my team needs a pilot and we have none, I can't help at all. If I could pilot a little better I would be a better player.

tn2007

Air superiority can't win a game by itself. But with two equally skilled teams (on the ground) the one with air superiority will almost always win. It has happened before in GAF games. We were even superior on the ground, but in the end we were defeated as we almost could not use our armor as it would get utterly destroyed by air vehicles, and the other team had no such problem. I remember a Rush game some time ago on Firestorm that Blue was owning all our tanks on a jet while the other team marched with their tanks on our base.

Thankfully we're getting more and more good pilots now as new people are joining. On BC2 we were sorely lacking aggressive pilots besides Abu and Evolved. We had other people that could fly, but not on the level of those two if I remember well.
Helicopters have taken a huge hit post patch. Stingers, RPGs, tank shells can now can OHK helicopters, and jets can destroy choppers in one run. You can lock onto them faster now and their rockets do less damage to tanks. Jets is where it's at now. Give me one dominating jet pilot and you will rule air space.

Found out today that the two suppression perks are now super important. When under suppression your recoil goes crazy and your accuracy takes a dive. Had trouble shooting people 1v1 >20m due to being suppressed.

Yet there are games where GAF gets defeated by obviously inferior groups with no pilots at all (where we score higher in the kill and score Territory)

Air superiority will always win over armor, that's true, but it's no good when enemies are all infantries getting around capturing flags.

This is why I said I hate it when people get " too comfortable". When there's no air or ground resistance, some players get too relaxed and just stay in their vehicles. Then the lead starts to shrink, then disappear, then lose etc. Then by the time the team has lost the lead and down to 30 tickets, then we start "getting dirty" to squeeze out a "close game"/"difficult win" (or humiliating loss) when it shouldn't even get to that point.

"oh shit when did they get all flags?"

I wish I was got a nickel every time someone says that.

Evolved1

Fun games tonight guys. :)

Good to see some old faces that aren't on as much these days: dan, dream, ejas!

We need an epic battles server that has some freakin rush maps! When are they gonna let me rent a server!?

We need an epic battles server that has some freakin rush maps! When are they gonna let me rent a server!?

"we"?

I thought you weren't gonna let "us" share your little server :p

(supposedly more servers a week from yesterday)

Boss Man

Well, I just had a string of really solid games to cap off the night. Topped off by this good ol' time:

Malpractice
(peep that K/D bro)

I'm really digging the A-91 right now. Debating whether or not to put the foregrip on it. I like to have a bit of ranged accuracy, and it just feels so good right now that I don't want to touch it.

CatPee

Now on BF3 Faceless has revealed himself a really good pilot (I don't remember you being so good on attack choppers on BC2 man!) and even Olimpia, a really great infantry and ground vehicle player started piloting quite well too!

No love for the jets? :(

Evolved1

My server will be open to gaf at all times, unless some gaffers request a private match-type-thing...

I'm thinking I will even post the password in the thread, so gaf lurkers can join.

If needed I will remove the password to try and get full games.

The idea is that... I know I like stuff the rest of gaf probably doesn't. This gives me a way to set up playlists that I'm interested in experimenting with (friendly fire!!!!!) w/o affecting the regular gaf server. It's a supplement to gaf proper, open to all!

I appreciate our good jet pilots. Because I can't fly them for shit.... and they (good enemy pilots) make my life miserable in the helicopters and sometimes in the tanks. Very powerful tool. I don't really like having jets in the game, but since they're there, and because they're very OP vs nearly everything, we need our own aces to keep enemy jets off our asses.

So... cheers to our aces.

I'll be using an empty server to get myself sorted out, and maybe will earn some wings of my own (for those times it's necessary) :)

My server will be open to gaf at all times, unless some gaffers request a private match-type-thing...

I'm thinking I will even post the password in the thread, so gaf lurkers can join.

If needed I will remove the password to try and get full games.

The idea is that... I know I like stuff the rest of gaf probably doesn't. This gives me a way to set up playlists that I'm interested in experimenting with (friendly fire!!!!!) w/o affecting the regular gaf server. It's a supplement to gaf proper, open to all!

I appreciate our good jet pilots. Because I can't fly them for shit.... and they (good enemy pilots) make my life miserable in the helicopters and sometimes in the tanks. Very powerful tool. I don't really like having jets in the game, but since they're there, and because they're very OP vs nearly everything, we need our own aces to keep enemy jets off our asses.

So... cheers to our aces.

I'll be using an empty server to get myself sorted out, and maybe will earn some wings of my own (for those times it's necessary) :)

This idea sounds lovely to me. A place I can always meet gaffers I don't have on my psn list and play.

Evolved1

This idea sounds lovely to me. A place I can always meet gaffers I don't have on my psn list and play.

And if you don't like my particular config on a given day... there will always be gaf proper.

JJD

Yet there are games where GAF gets defeated by obviously inferior groups with no pilots at all (where we score higher in the kill and score Territory)

Air superiority will always win over armor, that's true, but it's no good when enemies are all infantries getting around capturing flags.

This is why I said I hate it when people get " too comfortable". When there's no air or ground resistance, some players get too relaxed and just stay in their vehicles. Then the lead starts to shrink, then disappear, then lose etc. Then by the time the team has lost the lead and down to 30 tickets, then we start "getting dirty" to squeeze out a "close game"/"difficult win" (or humiliating loss) when it shouldn't even get to that point.

"oh shit when did they get all flags?"

I wish I was got a nickel every time someone says that.

When the game came out I remember a rush game on Metro with a lot o gaffers (at least 6) were we couldn't get past even the first base against a team of randoms, but frankly after that one I really don't remember we being owned as hard. People were still new to the game, learning the ropes.

Usually when we lose it's against a fairly good team with some clan players throw in the middle. It's been awhile since I remember losing to a clearly inferior team. But shit happens, one squad of 4 really good players paired with a shitty team won't hold back a whole team of average players (well maybe they will on metro).

I have played games like that a lot, but I'm not bitter or salty when we lose those. I've played some full games were it felt like it was almost 4 against 12, despite our team having 8 more players.

And a whole team of infantry soldiers will have a hard, hard time against an equally skilled team (as I said) with air and ground armor support. Can they win? Sure, but I wouldn't bet on then as far as my conquest experience goes.

Just look at Canals where a good team can get owned by a fairly average one if they're not careful just because the other team spawns as the russians with 2 tanks. Both of then can keep the 2 little birds locked at the carrier with guided shells, and then it's a matter of americans being infantry only since it's really easy taking out the LAV and Amtrac at distance. The russians just run left and right with their tanks killing people and bringing down choppers while the rest of the team hold the flags.

Jets are amazing man! I was talking about pilots of air vehicles in general! I even mentioned a case of a Firestorm game were Blue owned our armor with a Frogfoot/Thunderbolt! :)

I'm dying for some games like that!!! Rush is still amazingly fun on the big maps. Almost all my complains about rush on BF3 are not existent on the big maps!!!

When the game came out I remember a rush game on Metro with a lot o gaffers (at least 6) were we couldn't get past even the first base against a team of randoms, but frankly after that one I really don't remember we being owned as hard. People were still new to the game, learning the ropes.

Usually when we lose it's against a fairly good team with some clan players throw in the middle. It's been awhile since I remember losing to a clearly inferior team. But shit happens, one squad of 4 really good players paired with a shitty team won't hold back a whole team of average players (well maybe they will on metro).

I have played games like that a lot, but I'm not bitter or salty when we lose those. I've played some full games were it felt like it was almost 4 against 12, despite our team having 8 more players.

And a whole team of infantry soldiers will have a hard, hard time against an equally skilled team (as I said) with air and ground armor support. Can they win? Sure, but I wouldn't bet on then as far as my conquest experience goes.

Just look at Canals where a good team can get owned by a fairly average one if they're not careful just because the other team spawns as the russians with 2 tanks. Both of then can keep the 2 little birds locked at the carrier with guided shells, and then it's a matter of americans being infantry only since it's really easy taking out the LAV and Amtrac at distance. The russians just run left and right with their tanks killing people and bringing down choppers while the rest of the team hold the flags.
I can't remember games we lost dramatically either (besides when we first stated playing canal.)
Quite frankly, those sort of games I tend not want to remember about it lol ( I don't think anyone does)

However, in the reverse manner, I remember games that we undeserving lose extra vividly.
Since they really shouldn't be happening.
Games where we win/lost by barely 2 tickets - not because the team was bad, but because no one put up the effort to actively guard/cap flags.
Those are the types of games where you would start hearing Olimpia shouting/raging despite 2 full squads of gaffers.
Olimpia doesn't usually rage in the face of tough competition, he rages at cheap tactics or instances when we're obviously losing due to incompetence (ex, it's very commen for gaffers to want to focus on chokepoint B in bazaar, and you will find olimpia to be the lone man looping around the map sometimes.).

Anyway, back to point -
I'm not saying you shouldn't have a focus on air/ground support.
However, that shouldn't be your priority depending on the situation. I played with a perfectly fine team today.
We dominated the air and we dominated land and we had a 120+ ticket lead.
People got comfortable and guess what? They all either got on air vehicles to ensure "no one get out".
One flag go down - not so bad right?
Two flag down - not so bad still?
Three? Four?

By the time most people took note of it, the enemy team got all flags and the lead was gone.
There wasn't enough ground troops to cap flags/face off against full squads.
The ticket count has gone below 50 with a 70+ ticket difference and it was extremely difficult to pull it back

Lost 8-0.

Close game? Sure. However, it certainly didn't and shouldn't have turned out that way.

I know you probably don't remember, but there was a game in D-peak that we lost a couple month back.
Bunch of gaffers were at B repairing the tank, holding the flag, fighting like it's world war II.
While we were doing all that, you, I and Olimpia were the only ones who tried to go off and capture A and C alone.
No one came to help, Olimpia raged left and two of us to swallow our defeat.

It wasn't a game we couldn't have won, but the point is - the focus was all off.

I mean while I have nothing to say about air vs. ground and who will win.
I can clearly tell you who will win in everyone in my team were all off in a vehicle somewhere though.

Again, I'm not anti-vehicle.
I'm anti-"hey we're losing flags, but it's okay, focus on your fancy dog fight until it's too late"

JJD

I know you probably don't remember, but there was a game in D-peak that we lost a couple month back.
Bunch of gaffers were at B repairing the tank, holding the flag, fighting like it's world war II.
While we were doing all that, you, I and Olimpia were the only ones who tried to go off and capture A and C alone.
No one came to help, Olimpia raged left and two of us to swallow our defeat.

I really don't remember that game man, it's been too long since we played together! :-(

I understand your point, and I agree with you. I've been guilty of doing the exact same thing you said, specially on Canals, but usually when that happens it's because I got distracted and not because I ignored the other team capturing flags. Still it's no excuse.

You always had an eye for analyzing play styles Dream, on that Metro game I mentioned, you complained I was not paying attention to your MAV spots and since then I've become much more mindful of the mini map. It helped me a lot.

I hope to see you around more man, you always were a great guy to have our back, specially on rush defense games. Let's try to have those rush games on big maps Evolved was talking about!

Man, I'd be perfect playing with you guys. I'm so fucking aggressive in this game. If my team ever holds B(in an ABC map) and we lose A(or C, whatever is closest to our base) I always fight til the death until we get it back unless I'm out-manned 5 to 1 for like 3 deaths...then I'll go for the other one and if that doesn't work I'll rage quit because by then the game is probably out of reach and I can't stand playing with morons yet again on the next map.

JJD

Man, I'd be perfect playing with you guys. I'm so fucking aggressive in this game. If my team ever holds B(in an ABC map) and we lose A(or C, whatever is closest to our base) I always fight til the death until we get it back unless I'm out-manned 5 to 1 for like 3 deaths...then I'll go for the other one and if that doesn't work I'll rage quit because by then the game is probably out of reach and I can't stand playing with morons yet again on the next map.

You game on the PS3? Just add people man. 2 or 3 gaffers on your friend list and you will eventually meet everyone!

"Hey Olimpia"
"Hey Olimpia"
"Hey Olimpia, How do you get on the global leaderboard?"

sorry I found that hilarious

You game on the PS3? Just add people man. 2 or 3 gaffers on your friend list and you will eventually meet everyone!

Quite frankly, I'm sorry that we can't get everyone (92+) people on our battlelog into the games.
The usual crowd is still the same.

olimpia84

Sorry guys, had to switch teams. It was too unbalanced so I joined dream and it turned out that the randoms in our team were OK.

"Hey Olimpia"
"Hey Olimpia"
"Hey Olimpia, How do you get on the global leaderboard?"

I don't know what his deal was but he kept asking me a ton of questions in that Tehran Highway round. Man I hate that map with a passion...

SadAli

Neo Member
Patch installed and looking forward to picking up and playing this game for the first time in over a month though will have to wait till Sunday before I can really devote time to it.

Will no doubt be extremely rusty but will also be well up for teaming up with any Gaffers online as, a few mangled attempts aside, have pretty much lone wolfed the three or so days I've spent on there which I'm guessing is not the best way to play it.

tn2007

Sorry guys, had to switch teams. It was too unbalanced so I joined dream and it turned out that the randoms in our team were OK.
Damn you olimpia!!! Your team was way better than ours and than you switched and made even better. Ejas, blue and I were the only ones on our team that could hold or take a flag. Than JJD came and we were fucked. God I hate playing with randoms because you never know what your gonna get. I almost quit Teheran because of the dumbasses using our armor. But I had fun and I'll just use those loses as a learning experience. GGs guys.

gl0w

Im sorry to all of you that have joined the PSK server yesterday. The server is actually public most of the time, but yestardays night we closed it to have some fun together. Knife and only pistol battles for example. Also we were testing the new weapons and other update modifications.

The server was set to private and a password was been set, the problem Is: if you join the server thourgh someone on your friend list you bypass it. (a fix here DICE?).

I didn't kick you because I knew who you are but the rest of the admins didn't.

Sorry guys.

Do you control your server solely through BF3 itself, or do you do it via a web browser? Also what controls do you have over people who can play on it?

If you could grab some screenshots I'd be indebted to you.

I saw that you already found a video explaining it. But what I can say is that you can only set up the server through the game, outside and inside the game round. It's a good thing because you don't have to quit to main menu to change settings.

The only thing, for now, that you can do via web browser is on the battlelog, and only for changing the server image, or logo.

meppi

I'm playing like shit after the patch... :-(

It goes really back and forth for me as well.
Guess it'll take a little to get used to it.

One thing I already hate is how a single decent helicopter pass completely destroys a tank without any means of retaliating till it's too late.
That just can't be what they were going for, right?

On second thought, it's DICE....

Top Bottom