• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

rdrr gnr

Dreamgazer said:
Unless you're someone who plays assault/engineer 24/7 - I just don't find BF3 conquest all that entertaining, and I'm saying that despite the fact we've been steamrolling the game mode tonight.
I agree. I know for a fact that if I was playing anything other than engineer, I would be having no enjoyment whatsoever. Conquest is a game-type that doesn't lend itself well to many other classes. I know you play to win, but vehicle whoring is the only tenable solution for enjoyment on many of these maps, even if that means just laying down anti-tank mines and then playing in your usual objective style.

I plan on switching to rush exclusively, once the lag doesn't make gun-on-gun on interactions so frustrating. My play style is relatively passive, I try to kill as many enemies/vehicles without dying myself, but I will always rush in to plant/defuse when the opportunity presents itself. Those moments are wholly dependent upon on a good connection. I can't count the numbers of times I've taken cover or I've run through a door -- away from gunfire -- yet still die. I hate that feeling more than anything.

I tried doing what you are doing now during the first weeks of BC2 (in Rush) -- a mistake I'm not looking to make again.

/justificationforplayingselfishly

DarkFlow

Banned
I swear best buy is retarded. So I never got my pre-order skins from them. So I call them to get them. First they give me the Xbox verison code, I have Ps3. Next they just now gave me Freaking Robin DLC code for batman, I don't even have that game lol.

LEGGZZZZ

KORPAH said:
Server Browser is a gift from God.
It certainly is. Woke up at 5am EST, joined a full match via server broswer, 24/24 players once I got in. This was impossible with BFBC2, servers were litterally empty at late night times. Sooo Gooood.

Ketch

Dreamgazer said:
Support is the second lease played class in my observation and the class only seems to benefit in cases/game mode where spots get hold down. The higher damage compared to bc2 + us steamrolling makes it relatively useless half the time.

Man I have the total opposite feeling, I love to play support (HEAVY MACHINEGUN!), but everytime I join a squad there's at least one and a lot of the times two support already there. I definitely don't feel useless on the move either, I think the trick is just fire from the hip and use the same tactics as you would a shotty. Support who thinks they need to set up all the time is the same as a recon who thinks they need to be in a tower the entire time.

add to that C4 and mortar (which I'm not very good at yet), and they can also be effective vs vehicles. The machine gun should damage helicopters too, but I'm not quite sure yet.

Either way, I've been pretty successful with it, and it's totally my favorite class so far.

Edit: Anyone have any success with heat-seekers in the jet? The damn thing moves too fast to lock on to anything and get a shot off.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Sorry guys... I had a knock at the door. Also, I was bitching so much during the last few games (broke my rule) I must have gone way past my dumbass tolerance. So probably a good time for a break anyway.

Someone play co-op with me in a bit!!! I want the M14!

LEGGZZZZ

Man I have the total opposite feeling, I love to play support (HEAVY MACHINEGUN!), but everytime I join a squad there's at least one and a lot of the times two support already there. I definitely don't feel useless on the move either, I think the trick is just fire from the hip and use the same tactics as you would a shotty. Support who thinks they need to set up all the time is the same as a recon who thinks they need to be in a tower the entire time.

add to that C4 and mortar (which I'm not very good at yet), and they can also be effective vs vehicles. The machine gun should damage helicopters too, but I'm not quite sure yet.

Either way, I've been pretty successful with it, and it's totally my favorite class so far.
THIS. I use support and finish at the top of my scoreboard in like 9%% of my matches. I've lost count of how many vehicles I've C4'd. So many kills, and don't get me started on the mortar. Joined a game late last night, there were 12 tickets left, pulled out the mortar, used smoke mortar, saw everyone on my mini map rush in, arm the mcom, and won the match. So good.

DarkFlow83 said:
I swear best buy is retarded. So I never got my pre-order skins from them. So I call them to get them. First they give me the Xbox verison code, I have Ps3. Next they just now gave me Freaking Robin DLC code for batman, I don't even have that game lol.

Could I have the skin code please? :)

DarkFlow83 said:
what are you doing with the Xbox code?

Evolved1

Score 4000 points in the little bird and unlock a bunch of shit? Nope Lose connection to server and all you points/rewards.

smh.

meppi

DarkFlow83 said:
Anyone else just lose connection to EA?
Well we did now. :(

Started out really terrible tonight.
Rush isn't really my strong point anymore after playing so much conquest.
Still love to do it from time to time, but I basically stayed because you guys were in it as well.

When things finally started to click again and we were on a bit of a roll, the server crashed. Damn.
Guess that's my cue to call it a night.
Will be back tomorrow though.

Wondering about the aim patch as well now. Was it something DICE actually mentioned or just some rumors?
I could easily play this game for the next couple of years as it is. Well with a couple of tweaks and bug fixes here and there. But sometimes, especially in close combat, my controls tend to either spaz out or not barely move at all.
Having this exact same problem when I'm gunning in a tank.
All of a sudden the reticule will violently move across the screen for no reason whatsoever. :-/

Evolved1

I can't connect to anything. It freezes my machine every time I try.

DarkFlow83 said:
I sent it to sw33tclyde since he asked first. sorry my man.

skCf2.gif

Awesome, mah man.

And yeah 360 down right now :E

Bruiserk

Apparently the aim patch is only for PC. The faster you flick your mouse, the slower your turn. It has a negative deceleration on PC and caps the speed. At least that's what I read in the OT.

JJD

TheSeks said:
Also I've seen a disturbing lack of class balance in JJD's squad. I'm not sure if he's playing with randoms but I see two supports. Okay, cool. One of them will die and spawn medic and at least provide healing for me while the support provides ammo for my shotgun while I set motion mine drops down for the rest of the team to see people.

Lol! You were so unlucky! I'm playing Assault and Engineer for now, those two were some random idiots, one of then kept crashing the chopper on a warehouse on that Karg match just land on the roof and have a vantage point...and he's playing support!!! What a tool...how you're gonna hit someone 700 meters ahead of you with that sub machine gun? That was a horrible game...

After you left Meppi, Dave and Evolved joined, and holy shit, what a difference does it make playing with guys who not only know what they're doing, but understand the notion of teamwork! We lost 2 or 3 rounds, but won the majority of then, and it was fun!

I'm still having trouble aiming, especially moving targets, but not only it was fun, but I felt that I was finally contributing to the team! I think it will take awhile but I'll eventually adapt to the controls, so sorry if I was playing like shit earlier guys!

Also, if anyone sees me on a tank PLEASE jump in and be my gunner!!! I'll even switch places if anyone wants to drive. Every time I was on a tank some stupid random jumped on the machine gun and was unable to hit anything!!! It was driving me nuts!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Failed to connect to EA Online.

Wonderful, EA/DICE. Wonderful one of the first games I get 4000+ points in for having PEOPLE STICK CLOSE AND SPAM GRENADES in Operation Metro and I get kicked, possibly losing my points and fast promotion.

SMH. I was doing good with Support as well. SMH.

JJD

DarkFlow83 said:
I sent it to sw33tclyde since he asked first. sorry my man.

Hey if you're not going to use that Nightwing code...lol...

Also you're on PS3? Add me! :)

Edit: Thanks for adding me to the platoon Noisepurge!

olimpia84

TheSeks said:
Failed to connect to EA Online.

Wonderful, EA/DICE. Wonderful one of the first games I get 4000+ points in for having PEOPLE STICK CLOSE AND SPAM GRENADES in Operation Metro and I get kicked, possibly losing my points and fast promotion.

SMH. I was doing good with Support as well. SMH.

I armed A in that last set probably a record 6 times just for the enemy to disarm it again. SMH

meppi

JJD said:
I'm still having trouble aiming, especially moving targets, but not only it was fun, but I felt that I was finally contributing to the team! I think it will take awhile but I'll eventually adapt to the controls, so sorry if I was playing like shit earlier guys!

You obviously didn't notice me running around like a chicken without a head on Operation Firestorm Defense then?
Good. Let us never mention that again then. ;P

Had no idea what to do there at times. Even offense was really rough.
I think I armed only 2 Mcoms during the entire evening. lol

One thing I truly hate is when a camper is lying on his belly on a distant mountain ridge, I can't hit him for the life of me.
While in BC2 I'd pick him off with my G3 quicker than he could fire a second shot at me.
Well that or shove an AT4 rocket down his throat. ;)

TheSeks

LEGGZZZZ said:
It certainly is. Woke up at 5am EST, joined a full match via server broswer, 24/24 players once I got in. This was impossible with BFBC2, servers were litterally empty at late night times. Sooo Gooood.

The game just launched, MM would've given you that currently. Wait a good year and the "flavor of the week" players leave and then see how that stands.

Xux

93R feels about as weak as the BC2 version. That or the crazy recoil's hiding it's glory from me; least it actually has the Raffica barrel thingy and the foregrip and longer magazine in this game. M39's another MK11/SVD type of rifle instead of another SKS; curious to see if the three have different stats at all.

TheSeks

olimpia84 said:
I armed A in that last set probably a record 6 times just for the enemy to disarm it again. SMH

Yeah I came over there after holding near B (the toughest one in that set) with everyone around me. I got close, tried to arm but failed (WHY CAN'T I ARM ON THE GROUND TO THE SIDE, DICE? WHY!?) got killed and I tried to help you clear out that area with grenades from down below but they knew what we were doing and held it. :/

Fuck that was one of the first wildly successful KDR matches for me in a while that wasn't in the negative -2 -1 range. FUCK. >_< At least I now know the LMG is pretty good with bipods and some other things.

Also I've noticed that the laser and flashlight are ON by default on spawning. No wonder I was bitching at Dave. Fucks sake DICE, MAKE IT A MANUAL SWITCH ON FOR SPAWN. :|

But yeah, Metro was terrible because we kept getting up there you going ballsy to arm while I sat nearby to kill anyone attempting to disarm. We get into the tunnels and have to work our ass off to get the second set nearly losing. Then we get to the third set and they dug in hard while I'm around throwing ammo (people throwing medic kits finally. THANK GOD) while hoping someone else would throw another ammo pack down to help me respawn grenades faster. Stupid enemies were abusing RPG-7's down there to splash damage us.

Evolved1

meppi said:
You obviously didn't notice me running around like a chicken without a head on Operation Firestorm Defense then?

The answer on Op Firestorm is always: TANK

:)

TheSeks said:
Also I've noticed that the laser and flashlight are ON by default on spawning. No wonder I was bitching at Dave. Fucks sake DICE, MAKE IT A MANUAL SWITCH ON FOR SPAWN. :|

I've been saying this since the beta as well. Not only are they OP, but they're retardedly implemented.

JJD

meppi said:

One thing I truly hate is when a camper is lying on his belly on a distant mountain ridge, I can't hit him for the life of me.
While in BC2 I'd pick him off with my G3 quicker than he could fire a second shot at me.
Well that or shove an AT4 rocket down his throat. ;)

Lol! That match was crazy, I didn't know from which way the enemy was attacking (first time on that map) and the bullets were flying everywhere! We still hold then on the first set, so I guess we did fine!

Also, I don't know how many mcomms I armed today, but in almost all of then you were just around the corner either providing support, or trying to arm then too, I think you were great!

Especially on that set inside a warehouse! Defence had that place almost on lockdown, so when I managed to arm, I though they were easily going to disarm it, but when I died, I saw you on the cam on a scaffolding defending the crate! How did you get there? Their whole team was holed inside the building! That was some fucking ninja shit man!

TheSeks

Evolved1 said:
I've been saying this since the beta as well. Not only are they OP, but they're retardedly implemented.

I think they need to tone the blinding down a little. But I have killed someone with the flashlight before. Hipfire and (semi-)luck, I guess.

But yeah, I equipped them for shits and giggles and they are on by default. I was like "fuck that, I can't find a use for them since hipfiring isn't really that stupid to have it on for it's 'intended purpose,'" and turned it off.

I also hate how they auto-equip your unlocks like scopes at times. I never use scopes if I can help it. Never used them in BC2 either. Why torture me with them on respawn when my kit NEVER had them equipped just because I unlocked it!?

meppi

Evolved1 said:
The answer on Op Firestorm is always: TANK

:)
Something you can be sure off I'll never forget from now on. ;)

JJD said:
Lol! That match was crazy, I didn't know from which way the enemy was attacking (first time on that map) and the bullets were flying everywhere! We still hold then on the first set, so I guess we did fine!

Also, I don't know how many mcomms I armed today, but in almost all of then you were just around the corner either providing support, or trying to arm then too, I think you were great!

Especially on that set inside a warehouse! Defence had that place almost on lockdown, so when I managed to arm, I though they were easily going to disarm it, but when I died, I saw you on the cam on a scaffolding defending the crate! How did you get there? Their whole team was holed inside the building! That was some fucking ninja shit man!
I only played that map once before this afternoon and it was on conquest. So you can imagine how I felt when things went nuts.

As for the Mcoms, yeah, I was more occupied with defending them while they were being armed/disarmed instead of doing it myself. Unless there wasn't anyone around.
I remember that one Mcom that you were disarming. I came running up, saw you were doing it, turned my back to you and started "dancing" in front of you.
Always did that stuff in BC2 as well. I really don't mind playing the human shield and a decoy as it more often than not really helps with getting the objective.
Though to myself while I was doing that: "I wonder what he thinks of me while I'm dancing here". :D

That warehouse part was indeed crazy. Such a great set piece that was.
I came across some stairs in the other section that led up towards a small office.
The walkway itself allows you to cover both the front and back gate and the windows to the side let you scan that side as well.
That small grate in the wall was just in front of the stairs I believe.
Really good vantage point. :)

LEGGZZZZ

TheSeks said:
The game just launched, MM would've given you that currently. Wait a good year and the "flavor of the week" players leave and then see how that stands.

Why would server lists stop working though? I think you have the other way around. I'm pretty sure I'll still be able to join 23/24 servers a year from now, matchmaking on the other hand I'm not sure about.

TheSeks

LEGGZZZZ said:
Why would server lists stop working though? I think you have the other way around. I'm pretty sure I'll still be able to join 23/24 servers a year from now, matchmaking on the other hand I'm not sure about.

You misunderstand. They're both doing the same thing. MM just finds the fastest server to put you in.

I'm saying that a year from now even late (2AM or later) time the server browser probably won't find "full populated servers" because most of those people will leave for other games. Again: Wait until a year from now before you praise the server browser for finding full games at that time of night.

Evolved1

Hey... just a quick shout out to Dave... not sure if I mentioned it but you've been a solid squadmate.

DarkFlow

Banned
oldschoolpinball said:
i may not get a lot of kills as support, but boy do i rack up the points with ammo and(d)supressing fire
I seem to do good with kills as support. M249 + ACOG = LMG Sniper.

LEGGZZZZ

TheSeks said:
You misunderstand. They're both doing the same thing. MM just finds the fastest server to put you in.

I'm saying that a year from now even late (2AM or later) time the server browser probably won't find "full populated servers" because most of those people will leave for other games. Again: Wait until a year from now before you praise the server browser for finding full games at that time of night.

I get what your saying, I just don't see how they wouldn't work. I'd played KZ2 extenseively because of it's server browser, and still got into full 31/32 games anytime of the day well over a year after release. I find it hard to believe that a year from now, Battlefield 3, a game with a much, much bigger player base and a fewer player count than Killzone 2 will barely have any active full servers avaiable. I think it's ok to at least have faith in the server browser to always work well (when servers aren't down). Especially if they continue to support the game with patches like they said they would (and did with BFBC2 to a certain extent). Like you said, we have to wait and see, I just find it very unlikely to happen. DICE did console players justice.

wwm0nkey

If any of you guys are doing the Co-Op do the mission "Hit and Run" that single co-op mission is better than the entire campaign.

Top Bottom