• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dreamgazer said:
Nope.

I did get an extra $20 amazon credit off for purchasing your copy of the game.
However, amazon only sent me one pre-order bonus email and I used it for myself.
I was just thinking yesterday whether I should complain to Amazon but not getting a 2nd bonus to give to you.

Lol you should complain. I want the Type 88. :(

Had a crazy bug last night on ps3. Was playing a great round and all of a sudden I parachute myself down from a chopper. As soon as I land my HUD disappears. I can't tell who is friendly or enemy the game sound goes nuts. I try to shoot bullet dont hit I finally die and it didn't let me re spawn or quit the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played for a bit a this morning but I kept getting kicked near the end of a match. Oh well, I'll try again later.

LEGGZZZZ

Tunavi said:
I can choose my server based on location so I get a better connection, the filter system is great, I can see how many people are in a game so I don't end up in a game of 2v3 (which happened every time I played BC2 at night), I can see exactly which games my friends are playing and just automatically join them, and its just something I like in my console games.

Exactly. But they do need to set up custom servers, that way certain maps/modes can stay in and out of rotation.

Calion

Amazon says I'll get my copy today/in the afternoon. As soon as I finish working out today, I'll be on ALL tonight. Can't wait.

TheSeks

Calion82v said:
Amazon says I'll get my copy today/in the afternoon. As soon as I finish working out today, I'll be on ALL tonight. Can't wait.

You should learn to fly the helicopters and jets so the roles for us are reversed from BC2. ;__;

Calion

TheSeks said:
You should learn to fly the helicopters and jets so the roles for us are reversed from BC2. ;__;

okay-face.jpg

TheSeks

Calion82v said:
okay-face.jpg

Seriously. I can't fly the helicopters AT all this outing. I keep tipping them over and crashing when I try to turn 180 to go back for another run.

Dr Prob

Banned
Really liking this game for the most part. Some random thoughts/bunch of text:

- Still don't like what they did to Rush. Don't know exactly how to describe it, but the placement of the M-Coms feels like you're being artificially funneled into skirmishes over the crates as opposed to them happening organically. Or something. Can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't feel quite right to me yet. But who knows.

- Love the choppers. You have to be much more...present and aware of what you're doing, yet they're still easy to handle and fun to fly.

- I can't hit anything with the fucking jet. Can fly around and do manuevers and shit, but I only managed to unlock the flares by lurking around the enemy airstrip on Caspian. Really cool moment last night though as I was (unsuccesfully) chasing another jet and finally started getting a few hitmarkers only for my squadmate (who was somehow beasting in this thing) to come up from underneath and take the guy out. That wasn't the cool part though (you totally thought that was going to be the cool part). Right after the enemy plane blew up, we both pulled the exact same move and it was like some Blue Angels shit for a few seconds. Fuck yeah!

- The Stinger and whatever the other anti-air launcher is called are so cool to fire and watch. One of those things in games that just feels right and you want to keep doing it over and over.

- Tanks are beastly. Another one of those things that just feels right is that weird hitmarker/scrolling of the "enemy down" thing at the bottom of the screen when you kill someone. Just feels good. Went 20-3 in a quick game on the nighttime highway map (don't know the names yet) last night and I'm not exactly the world's greatest tank...operator.

- One thing that does bother me about the vehicles is how they switched third-person view to R3. Not so bad in the tank, but in the air vehicles sometimes (at least in my experience) you have to make some moves and end up switching views. Not a huge deal, but what was wrong with using the d-pad? Or do you use the d-pad for other stuff? Maybe I should read the instructions.

- Muting people doesn't seem to work on the 360. In general the randoms I've been matched up with have been suprisingly cool and helpful, but there's always that one dude with his mic on 11 giving you feedback and what not and you can't mute his ass. Only way to do it outside of taking the time to start a party is to just turn the mics off altogether in the options. Sucks.

- Some of these unlockable camos, while maybe cool in theory look a bit ridiculous. Was killed last night by someone wearing what appeared to be a purple Al Shapton track suit from the 80's.

- This game is turning out to be the exact opposite of BC2 for me. In that game I preferred playing Rush to Conquest and using all the different classes when the situation called for it. In BF3 so far it's just Conquest/Engineer all day. Except for Metro I guess. Hopefully I'll grow to like Rush more and switch things up.

Anyway, good shit so far.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
TheSeks said:
Seriously. I can't fly the helicopters AT all this outing. I keep tipping them over and crashing when I try to turn 180 to go back for another run.

What controls did you use in BC2? Because legacy controls are the closest you can get in BF3 to BC2 default.

I found the controls weird at first, but they became pretty intuitive after a few mins. The really challenging thing is how much altitude you lose during a maneuver (actually you're pretty much always losing alt. unless the nose is perfectly parallel to the horizon) and the more drastic you pitch or roll the worse it "sucks" you toward the ground. And the throttle cannot overcome this force -- you will eat dirt. So you have to basically premeditate every bank and turn, considering your current altitude and the severity of the maneuver, and compensate for the drop. One way to maintain altitude in a tight maneuver is to make it at speed. Or if you want to make a quicker turn, you have to let off but get back on the throttle at just the right time, because you're going to drop for the time you're off the throttle. There's not much room for error.

This all makes piloting so much fun! Very rewarding when you start owning shit. But I find myself still making dumb mistakes. Though the frequency is decreasing.

Flying in BF3 almost reminds me of playing GT5 a little bit... in a weird way.

Evolved1

Mikasangelos said:
whats closest to BC1 flight controls for helo's?

I could never fly in BC1... I got my pilot's license in BC2.

Sorry.

Dr Prob

Banned
Oh yeah, BF3 Stats is up. I guess with Battlelog it's not as important as before, but maybe they'll have some differnt stat-type things in the future. And people seem to like those graphic things.

TheSeks

Mikasangelos said:
whats closest to BC1 flight controls for helo's?

I don't think there is a BC1 legacy control in BF3. Sorry.

I'll check Legacy out, Evolved. Because I used the default and never used the BC1 default in BC2. But I did use the BC1 setup in BC1. I'm very much a person that is "defaults because frankly changing them is pretty pointless if you can adjust." But I can not adjust at all to keeping balance in the helicopters. :/

JJD

Calion82v said:

Hell yeah man! Glad to have you back!!!

On a side note, seems that Dice is indeed looking in the PS3 input lag issue...maybe we'll get a fix soon!

DarkFlow

Banned
TheSeks said:
Have you tried legacy controls? It made me able to fly and kill shit.

Evolved1

someone play co-op with me randoms suck!

TheSeks said:
I don't think there is a BC1 legacy control in BF3. Sorry.

I'll check Legacy out, Evolved. Because I used the default and never used the BC1 default in BC2. But I did use the BC1 setup in BC1. I'm very much a person that is "defaults because frankly changing them is pretty pointless if you can adjust." But I can not adjust at all to keeping balance in the helicopters. :/

It's pretty much the same as BC2 except the left stick controls roll... it's weird at first but soon becomes second nature. It's actually a lot better imo, once you get the feel.

Bruiserk

Evolved1 said:
What controls did you use in BC2? Because legacy controls are the closest you can get in BF3 to BC2 default.

I found the controls weird at first, but they became pretty intuitive after a few mins. The really challenging thing is how much altitude you lose during a maneuver (actually you're pretty much always losing alt. unless the nose is perfectly parallel to the horizon) and the more drastic you pitch or roll the worse it "sucks" you toward the ground. And the throttle cannot overcome this force -- you will eat dirt. So you have to basically premeditate every bank and turn, considering your current altitude and the severity of the maneuver, and compensate for the drop. One way to maintain altitude in a tight maneuver is to make it at speed. Or if you want to make a quicker turn, you have to let off but get back on the throttle at just the right time, because you're going to drop for the time you're off the throttle. There's not much room for error.

This all makes piloting so much fun! Very rewarding when you start owning shit. But I find myself still making dumb mistakes. Though the frequency is decreasing.

Flying in BF3 almost reminds me of playing GT5 a little bit... in a weird way.

So you are saying the flying mechanics are terrible?

TheSeks

Bruiserk said:
You just want the kills.

No, I want the unlocks so I can stay on the ground instead of learning to fly because they've totally changed it.

Dream said:
when I get home.

NO U. You're doing Mission 3+ Hard with me. >:|

Genesis Knight said:
What weapons are unlocked through coop?

Read the OP please.

Dreamgazer said:
CO-OP
I know what you're thinking. "CO-OP? Why would I want to play CO-OP?"
Well, you'll want to play CO-OP, cause right now that's the only way for you to unlock certain MP weapons:
  • General - MP412 REX (unlock at 63000 CO-OP Score)
  • Assault - KH2002 (unlock at 126000 CO-OP Score)
  • General - MP7 (unlock at 189000 CO-OP Score)
  • Recon - M39 EMR (unlock at 252000 CO-OP Score)
  • General - 93R (unlock at 315000 CO-OP Score)
  • Engineer - SG553 (unlock at 378000 CO-OP Score)
  • Assault - G3A3 (unlock at 441000 CO-OP Score)

REX, M39EMR (M14 equivalent), MP7 and G3A3 are what most people are going for.

olimpia84

Arggh, played throgh an hour long Rush attack game on one of the island map just to lose at the very end. Stupid randoms won't push forward when I arm the MCOMS.

TheSeks said:
Is there a way to see match history older than last 5 matches? Ahh, I was in that round. I didn't know your BF3 name, but I was also impressed to see the heli in the tunnel. Today, on Conquest instead of Rush, I saw a really great player take it from the tunnel middle out to the enemy's side, and he did it by slowly flying over my tank!

I really love all the ground vehicles. Tanks, APCs/jeeps with a turret, mobile AA (is mobile AA anywhere in addition to Rush - Canals?). The tank gets some very useful upgrades. My favorite ground vehicle activity is bounding around Operation Firestorm during Conquest in a jeep, running away from tanks, sparingly switching to turret, capping points and running over enemies.

JJD

Back to Karkand is going to be released in December! Looks like it will be in a different playlist like Vietnam on BC2. New weapons too won't be available in the vanilla maps and playlist because of the consoles RAM.

15 bucks as expected, and I still can't believe I going to have to pay for this after pre ordering the game more than a month ago... :-(

This is so unfair! I will think twice before defending EA again on those Online Passes threads.

new (old) glitch: 5 man squad!

dunno how it happened, it just did, kinda like it happens randomly in BC2.

olimpia84 said:
Had a few games with new gaffers but they didn't go all too well. Here's a tip guys: in Op Metro Conquest getting B is the key at the beginning so make a run for it. I think I was the only one to rush for B and when I got there a group of 5 enemies was waiting for me. After that it was all downhill lol
this is important, RUN, don't walk to

olimpia84

The Faceless Master said:
this is important, RUN, don't walk to

Yup, running is the key. Yesterday I unlocked the Squad Sprint perk so that should help a bit to whoever is in my squad from now on.

JJD

olimpia84 said:
Yup, running is the key. Yesterday I unlocked the Squad Sprint perk so that should help a bit to whoever is in my squad from now on.

But if I'm not mistaken the Squad perks are only applied to your teammates right? I mean, if you choose that your 3 squad mates are running faster, but you won't be. They also don't stack up. We need to coordinate this a little bit when GAF is playing together!

The Faceless Master said:
new (old) glitch: 5 man squad!

dunno how it happened, it just did, kinda like it happens randomly in BC2.

I swear to God I've been able to spawn on someone outside my squad sometimes...

Also, do you guys think that the three four man squads is a better mechanic than say two, six man ones?

Miggytronz

So how do the squad perks work then?

Say i have Squad sprint on. ME and my team have Sprint ON. They can use whatever other perks they can right.

JJD

Mikasangelos said:
So how do the squad perks work then?

Say i have Squad sprint on. ME and my team have Sprint ON. They can use whatever other perks they can right.

I believe I saw some tweet from Zhinto or someone else saying that Squad perks are only usable by your squad mates, not by yourself.

So if you equip Squad Sprint everyone will be running faster except you. It's to encourage teamwork or something, so the other guys will have to choose something else and you won't end up with a super soldier. They also don't stack, so if everyone equips squad sprint you won't be running like roadrunner around the maps!

Of course I could be wrong...it wouldn't be the first time! Lol...

Lately I've been sticking with Conquest when I can't get into a match with you guys. I tend to lose almost every Rush game with randoms. Everyone is just scattered all over the place not trying to arm/disarm.

someday

Banned
I just sent in a request for the ps3 group. Just want to say here that I am a complete newbie at Battlefield games. I played the beta and finally sort of fell in love with the large maps and the necessary teamwork this game requires. I have no problem dealing with a low kd (it's usually pretty bad anyway...I prefer objective games in all fps and always go for the objectives, even when my team isn't). Anyway, I'd love to play with people who will help me get better at this game but realize that I pretty much suck. I play mostly assault/medic so far and try to throw med packs often. I have the defib unlocked and equipped too.

JJD said:
But if I'm not mistaken the Squad perks are only applied to your teammates right? I mean, if you choose that your 3 squad mates are running faster, but you won't be. They also don't stack up. We need to coordinate this a little bit when GAF is playing together!

I swear to God I've been able to spawn on someone outside my squad sometimes...

Also, do you guys think that the three four man squads is a better mechanic than say two, six man ones?
Four 3 Man Squads FTW!

and you can spawn on teammates in some vehicles.

JJD said:
I believe I saw some tweet from Zhinto or someone else saying that Squad perks are only usable by your squad mates, not by yourself.

So if you equip Squad Sprint everyone will be running faster except you. It's to encourage teamwork or something, so the other guys will have to choose something else and you won't end up with a super soldier. They also don't stack, so if everyone equips squad sprint you won't be running like roadrunner around the maps!

Of course I could be wrong...it wouldn't be the first time! Lol...
iirc, they work for you and your squad, they're proximity based, and you can't stack the same spec.

DukeSucks

probably just me, but I can't not hear this on a few of the loading screens (I think caspian and metro, maybe more, but not sure)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0eW1O72Mao

someday said:
I just sent in a request for the ps3 group. Just want to say here that I am a complete newbie at Battlefield games. I played the beta and finally sort of fell in love with the large maps and the necessary teamwork this game requires. I have no problem dealing with a low kd (it's usually pretty bad anyway...I prefer objective games in all fps and always go for the objectives, even when my team isn't). Anyway, I'd love to play with people who will help me get better at this game but realize that I pretty much suck. I play mostly assault/medic so far and try to throw med packs often. I have the defib unlocked and equipped too.

I just added you, although I'm in the same boat as you. Still loving the game though.

TheSeks

CharlesSurge said:
Is there a way to see match history older than last 5 matches

Battlelog and your main profile shows the last 20+ (forgetting how many) matches before the cut off. I don't think it saves a complete log like Halo 2/3/Reach does at Bungie.net, sadly.

Evolved1

Tunavi said:
Team Deathmatch is probably the greatest thing to happen to this game.

IMO

Yeah... keeps the annoying players sequestered away from the main game.
lol

TheSeks said:
Battlelog and your main profile shows the last 20+ (forgetting how many) matches before the cut off. I don't think it saves a complete log like Halo 2/3/Reach does at Bungie.net, sadly.

Hey, will you play co-op with me?

meppi

Evolved1 said:
Yeah... keeps the annoying players sequestered away from the main game.
lol

Took the words right out of my mouth. ;)

Although it doesn't seem to work just yet. Hopefully they'll get bored of Conquest and Rush within a week and go play CODmatch. :p

Anyway. Looks like BF 3 is keeping the tradition in tact of being the best game ever at one point, where just about anything works just right, yet at others it all just fall apart and nothing and I mean nothing goes as it should.
Tonight was such an night for me. :(
Such a downer after such an incredible afternoon...

Top Bottom