• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

UFRA

I have no idea how to play this game.

Any recommendations on load outs and how to unlock weapons?

Also how do I become someone who is able to make people spawn on me?

What is the most effective way to get points?

As far as loadouts go that's mostly personal preference for your playing style. Unlocking things literally just comes from playing the game, and using specific items that have unlockables (i.e. using a tank will unlock new tank items).

As long as you are a member of a squad, your squad mates can spawn on you. You don't have to be a squad leader for this to work. Also, as a Recon class soldier, you can place radio beacons which serve as mobile spawn points that you can place wherever you want. This also allows your squad mates to spawn there too. Note: When YOU spawn on your radio beacon, it blows up and you must reset it every time.

Most effective way to get points would be to complete objectives as much as possible. Playing conquest? Capture and/or defend flags. Playing Rush? Plant or defuse bombs. TDM is obviously just about kills, but IMO objective based game modes are where the points are at.

I love the sudden rash of noob pilots that deploy flares the second you get a lock on them. I've ground downed 4 jets and 2 choppers last couple of days with stingers by simply being patient.

JJD

I couldn't do a damn thing right in that Siene round! That was a frustrating start. And of course we draw the US side on the Canals after that and one of our teammates gives away the LAV and then over half the team quits...so that went well.

Once we got to the 3rd set, that match was like ramming my head against the wall. But we ended up beating that team in the next two matches and running them off.

Hey Boa don't you use a mic? I'm gunning a lot for you and we should stack perks! All the cool kids are doing it!

What perks you usually run on a tank? When I spawn on you, if you let me in the drivers seat for just a second you'll get the perks I'm using when you get back at the drivers seat with the ones you choose. But I think it only works with proximity sensor, thermal camo and reactive armor.

Usually I run with proximity sensor and something else, but if you already use it, I'll choose reactive armor so you'll have it in your tank.

You're one of our best drivers you know?

Have you logged into Battlelog yet? It's useful for tracking what and when you'll get your unlocks.

All weapons in the game are viable, but try to keep playing with the same weapon until you unlock some sights for it. Usually around 50 kills you'll get at least a red dot sight, and it will help you a lot with targeting enemies.

Don't rush at people head on, try to flank then. Play smart, learn the maps.

Almost everything you do on the game score points, not just killing enemies. Capturing flags, arming mcoms, fixing vehicles, reviving players, spotting enemies. Play the objective! Don't hang in the back camping! If it's Rush, your goal should be arm (attacking) or disarm (defending) mcoms, if it's Conquest capture and protect flags! And finally if it's deathmatch just kill people obviously!

Usually assault is the best class to score a lot of points (reviving and healing teammates), but they are completely defenseless around vehicles, so avoid then.

Engineers are good dealing with and fixing vehicles, they score a lot of points this way.

Support is kind of a jack of all trades, they can take vehicles (with C4) and infantry alike but they're not a point machine.

Recon is an awesome tactical class, and they can change the tide of a game with their motion sensors and spawn beacons, but they don't score a lot of points.

Whatever class you choose, USE THEIR GADGETS! Revive and heal people a lot with Assault and you will be point rich in no time! Fix you teams vehicles as an engineer and not only you'll score nicely but you'll help your team win the game, drop ammo packs everywhere, all the time as a Support and you will help your teammates and score points, and place motion sensors near an objective and not only you will score points too, but you will be able to better defend yourself. Spawn beacons on strategic positions are a powerful tool, don't plant then anywhere in the open.

Lastly don't forget to spot enemies, you'll get points for it when they are killed. Just press the Select button on the PS3 or Back on the 360 when you have an enemy at your sights and a little orange dot will appear above his head. Everyone in your team will be able to see it.

Always pay attention to the the mini map!

Whatever you do, just have fun and you'll improve and learn the game in no time! Don't forget to add gaffers on your FL!

WOW...underslung 12 guage buckshot + ak74 = win when defending on metro rush. I went 23-7 which doesn't sound like much unless you realize I am normally a 7-4 get the objectives kind of guy.

The underslung is buged, that is why it's so powerful, every pellet it shots does the same damage your equipped assault rifle bullet does. Use it with flechette ammo and you can kill a whole squad with one shot if they are on a corridor or grouped together since it goes through people and thin cover. It's like the new, improved version of USAS/Frag rounds. Equip it with the heavy barrel for more accurate fire. It will get fixed...eventually!

tn2007

Hey Boa don't you use a mic? I'm gunning a lot for you and we should stack perks! All the cool kids are doing it!

What perks you usually run on a tank? When I spawn on you, if you let me in the drivers seat for just a second you'll get the perks I'm using when you get back at the drivers seat with the ones you choose. But I think it only works with proximity sensor, thermal camo and reactive armor.

Usually I run with proximity sensor and something else, but if you already use it, I'll choose reactive armor so you'll have it in your tank.

You're one of our best drivers you know?

I think Boa uses proximity scan. Reactive armor does not transfer from gunner to driver. I believe only proximity scans and thermal camo transfer overs from the gunner. If Boa uses proximity scan than you should use thermal to help versues the guided missiles and javelins.

My personal load out is Reactive armor, thermal optics, and canister shell. Reactive armor gives you a chance to make a mistake and it's repairable. Now for my gunner I prefer thermal camo because of all the javelins. I use to like proximity scan but with all these guided stuff it's saver to have thermal camo. Proximity scan is only useful if you solo alot or your just getting c4 alot. I use thermal optics to help me see through all the foliage and stuff to locate hard to find enemies. I use canister shell because it can destroy light armor vehicles and it's usually a one hit kill against infantry. When I roll with a gunner I need him to do these 3 things:
1. Watch where I'm not looking and spotting.
2. Repair me when I'm at 75% or below health.
3. Fire an rpg or javelin when I'm engaging another vehicle.
These are my personal opinions that I have accumulated from over 100+ hours in the tank.http://bf3stats.com/stats_ps3/thn2008

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I love the sudden rash of noob pilots that deploy flares the second you get a lock on them. I've ground downed 4 jets and 2 choppers last couple of days with stingers by simply being patient.

I do that now and then. In my defense I can't hear so it's like "SHIT SHIT SHIT DID THEY FIRE ALREADY!?"

I'm getting close to getting under the radar but it's a huge fucking hassle for me and I then have to do it in the scout choppers or attack helicopters which is impossible since other people grab them before I can gun (and if I gun someone screws up because they think I'm using flares. Uh... nope. Sorry. Bail when they lock and I'll happily mow anyone down that attempts to get in range, dude. :/) or attempt to fly it. *sigh*

Major Williams said:

Er-You press L1/LT to ADS. R1/RT to PEW PEW PEW. PEW PEW PEW people in the face to get points to unlock guns. What is there to get?

Any gun. PEW PEW PEW people in the face like I said above.

Stop dying so much. Sneak around. Get in a good position. PTFO. If you're PTFO'ing, you should be near the flags (conquest), or crates/M-COMs (rush) nearly 24/7 with certain situations on defense to where people will spawn if they see you defending and needing help provided you're safe enough to spawn.

I've had situations where I spawn on someone and they're running right into a battle for a quick death. So it's basically "yeah, no, I'm done spawning on them. Screw it, I'll run the five minutes back to the battle if need be."

On attack in Rush, sneaking around helps tremendously. People that set themselves up as a mobile spawn point helps a lot.

Press left on the D-pad near anyone close-by if you're Assault/Medic and Support/Resupply. ??????????? PROFIT!

Press left on the D-pad, press R1/RT near crates or chokepoints to put T-UGS down. PEW PEW PEW people as Recon/Sniper

Press RIGHT on the D-pad, press R1/RT near damaged tanks to REPAIRREPAIRREPAIR them... provided the person isn't an idiot and notices you repairing them instead of "LOL BYE! *takes an RPG to the knee and dies*" like most idiots are.

Optionally: Press RIGHT on the D-pad, press R1/RT to place mines in traffic areas (sometimes in unexpected traffic areas as well) to catch vehicles rushing toward the objectives to disable (2 AT mins) or kill (3) with no armor. You may need 4 with reactive armor. I haven't tested that perk too much.

AKA: USE YOUR FUCKING KIT ITEMS BECAUSE YOU'LL BE BETTER THAN 99% OF THE PLAYERBASE THAT CURRENT PLAYS THIS GAME AND PISSES ME OFF WHEN I'M BEGGING FOR AMMO WHEN THEY'RE SUPPORT. JESUS CHRIST.

CommonSense said:
Can a fella get an invite to gafs xbox360 servers? I'd like to try my luck against you fellas!

>Implying people play on 360

*Tee-hee* Message Faceless. I'm sure him and five others play there.

-Silver-

Now that my exams and CW are finally finished I can spend time playing this with you guys. Anything change in the last month or so?

Funny enough I just chased a support around the map begging for ammo.so I could continue to hold off tanks in a round of CQ.....if i was on a hardcore server I would have considered shooting him.

He ended up 1-11 with 250 points and we ended losing by 4 tickets.....asshole.

BoatAck

My standard was always proximity-thermal optics-canister or guided shell if it's an open map. Now I only use this setup on Siene, Karkand, Tehran, Sharqi, and Damavand. For the open space maps and the Canals I use reactive-smoke-guided shell. Sometimes on Canals I use the first setup as the canister shell can be good for knocking out choppers.

I've noticed that if I don't have proximity enabled but the gunner does and he exits my vehicle, the proximity pulse still stays active even though they are no longer in the vehicle with me. Is that supposed to work like that?

For rush mostly use the first setup and try to stay by the crate.

Dreaver

So... I decided to continue my Battlefield 3 singleplayer today and all suddenly I got the message "Your save game is corrupt blabla"... Now I've had this earlier but nothing did happen (I had to adjust the brightness again but that's it)... I saw the only way to fix this is by deleting "PROFILE SAVE DATA"... Fuck me... I really can't be fucking arsed to do all the stuff over (I was halfway)... God damn it...

/rant

JJD

My standard was always proximity-thermal optics-canister or guided shell if it's an open map. Now I only use this setup on Siene, Karkand, Tehran, Sharqi, and Damavand. For the open space maps and the Canals I use reactive-smoke-guided shell. Sometimes on Canals I use the first setup as the canister shell can be good for knocking out choppers.

I've noticed that if I don't have proximity enabled but the gunner does and he exits my vehicle, the proximity pulse still stays active even though they are no longer in the vehicle with me. Is that supposed to work like that?

For rush mostly use the first setup and try to stay by the crate.

That's what I meant by stacking! It's a bug.

If we stack, you will keep some of my perks regardless if I'm in the vehicle or not!

Supposedly you can pick reactive armor, and if two guys each with proximity sensor and thermal camo get in the drivers seat even for a second, the tank will keep theirs perks when you get back driving!

It's really useful running with a tank with reactive, thermal camo and proximity! Let's try that the next time we play together!

Now that I know what you and THN run with I'll try to adapt, specially on hard games!

Edit: Seems only proximity sensor stays with the tank when the gunner gets out...

This youtube video explains everything!

TheSeks

UFRA: Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get my connection checked. It seems to be degrading or something.

So I won't be playing BF3 right now for probably a week or two. Going to have to hassle someone to get them to call for me. Ugh.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
UFRA: Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get my connection checked. It seems to be degrading or something.

So I won't be playing BF3 right now for probably a week or two. Going to have to hassle someone to get them to call for me. Ugh.

I'm having internet problems myself. Last few days I've felt like 70% of my shots weren't registering... did a speed test out of curiosity and suddenly my connection is barely 1MB when I'm paying for 15!

WTF!? Something is seriously wrong but I've been too busy with finals and shit to mess with annoying ass customer service...

TheSeks

Both of you try pingtest and see if you are getting any packet loss

Speedtest tonight couldn't download from anywhere. And yesterday my speedtest had a few ups and downs in it's graph which tells me that while I have a "stable" connection the connection has noise or something. :/

JJD

I had a lot of problems with the game a couple days ago. My issue was my wi fi router, even thought the PS3 is connected to it by an ethernet cable. Check your setup guys.

And do as Rebel Leader said, I've seen a thread some time ago where a guy couldn't connect to the PSN no matter what and his problem was packet loss. If I'm not mistaken it was Rebel that sorted out the problem for the gaffer.

TheSeks

I had a lot of problems with the game a couple days ago. My issue was my wi fi router, even thought the PS3 is connected to it by an ethernet cable. Check your setup guys.

And do as Rebel Leader said, I've seen a thread some time ago where a guy couldn't connect to the PSN no matter what and his problem was packet loss. If I'm not mistaken it was Rebel that sorted out the problem for the gaffer.

Well, I just tried speedtest at 5AM and it is giving me my advertised speeds right now in comparison to 10PM. So either their maxing their pipe between customers or something is happening between 8PM-12AM and my signal is degrading. Either way, I'm bitching at my ISP to solve it because not getting my advertised speeds because they can't have proper bandwidth for every customer is fucking stupid, given I'm not in a city. :|

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Indeed that was me

UFRA

I will be here when you return to duty!

<3

Evolved1

Game froze last night in the middle of a pretty monster round... got promoted and unlocked a bunch of shit. Will I have lost that progress?

I forgot my battlelog login info so I can't check. :/

edit: NVM I was able to get into battlelog.

OG Kush

I hate planes.

They hardly ever help with the objective. I still kind of wish it was just helicopters like in BC2, and I come from playing 1942 and Bf2 on the PC. I don't remember planes being like this back on 1942 and bf2. maybe its just planes aren't suited to 24 player console matches.
Also in 1942 planes could bomb which was geat for tanks/vehicles/objective and waaaaaay more skill. bombing runs were the shit!

Funny enough I just chased a support around the map begging for ammo.so I could continue to hold off tanks in a round of CQ.....if i was on a hardcore server I would have considered shooting him.

He ended up 1-11 with 250 points and we ended losing by 4 tickets.....asshole.
Story of my [BF3] life right here.

Evolved1

How do I check the ticket count before joining one of these retarded fucking servers?

TheSeks

Getting kicked from Rush/TDM/Conquest servers with Marajauna logos is Spiderman3SoGood.gif for breaking their rules.

God, I hate this community. It isn't like the shotguns outside the M26 itself is bad. The M26 is glitched, so I could understand banning that. But banning shotguns during a TDM round, really? Lame.

Evolved1 said:
Yeah... or getting damage every time you land in a parachute.

Press back on left stick. TAH-DAH. No damage.

Also you can't check the tickets until you join. Yes, it's fucktarded.

MrBig

Thankfully most people will state how many % tickets they make.

Sadly, not all of them are 100% as DICE intended. :|

Most of them aren't I try to join servers that say they are 100% (I stick to the Rambo conq server from the op most of the time), but I quit if I join a game that is not 100% and was not listed as such.

TheSeks

Most of them aren't I try to join servers that say they are 100% (I stick to the Rambo conq server from the op most of the time), but I quit if I join a game that is not 100% and was not listed as such.

Maybe it's a 360 thing. On PS3 and my Rush filter the majority of full servers show the percent either in the description (so don't quick join) or the title.

Unfortunately, most of the PS3 Rush servers want DERP DERP 300/500% which is fucking stupid for obvious reasons but I can't do shit about that as the DICE official servers are all but dead it seems.

Rebel Leader

*goes on bf3*
*see gaffers playing op metro*
*goes see server info*
*sees it 500% tickets And op metro 24/7*

I'm dissapointed in you :(

TheSeks

*goes on bf3*
*see gaffers playing op metro*
*goes see server info*
*sees it 500% tickets And op metro 24/7*

I'm dissapointed in you :(

Gotta get those level ups, bro. And since no one plays Rush, I'll play Metro 500% Rush now and then just to hate myself even harder.
And get the M26 dogtag which I got a few weeks ago so I haven't touched them again

Also neither of the official GAF servers are being played. Sounds like someone needs to switch one to Rush. *cough cough*

Mikey Jr.

Unfortunately, most of the PS3 Rush servers want DERP DERP 300/500% which is fucking stupid for obvious reasons but I can't do shit about that as the DICE official servers are all but dead it seems.

Honest question.

Is this ever going to be fixed?

TheSeks

Honest question.

Is this ever going to be fixed?

What fixed?

ETA: Oh, you meant the DICE official servers? They're still there AFAIK. But either they're all full or empty or DICE is switching them to rent-a-servers. You can find them with "P#," "EA," or "DICE" in the search tab of the browser but they're getting rare. So I'm getting fed up with bullshit rules after a bit and trolling for kicks.

Mikey Jr.

What fixed?

ETA: Oh, you meant the DICE official servers? They're still there AFAIK. But either they're all full or empty or DICE is switching them to rent-a-servers. You can find them with "P#," "EA," or "DICE" in the search tab of the browser but they're getting rare. So I'm getting fed up with bullshit rules after a bit and trolling for kicks.

Yeah, I used to be able to go to quickmatch and find a NORMAL server. Now when I select quickmatch, it will literally put me in anything vaguely resembling my choice.

"You chose Conquest? Ok, here is a 1500 ticket Metro only server!"

And yeah, there is no filter for official dice servers. You can go to search, but then you cant filter. Why the shit is quickmatch selecting from peoples custom servers?

WHY THE FUCK!

I swear to God, it feels like sometimes people just don't have any common fucking sense.

TheSeks

Mike: You're oh so doing it wrong if you're going to quick match. Matchmaking is terrible.

Evolved1

I keep joining all the goddamn games that say "normal" or whatever.... only to have it be some million-ticket bullshit. People are lying assholes.

It takes forever to find a game that isn't hosted by illiterate fucking retards, or little kids, or whoever the fuck else can't seem to comprehend what should be a common sense, intuitive understanding that 400 ticket RUSH is not how you fucking do things.

God... this putrid community is beyond fucking help. Beyond all hope. The server list is a fucking condemnation of modern gamers. It's a goddamn dunce cap that shouts, "Yes... hello world... we are fucking retards! Hurray for how goddamn unintelligible we are, unable to spell words, communicate basic information, or find our own dicks".

"NO RULZES __ SHOTGNS Git U BANNEDED and NO JET RaMMINFG %500 TickeTZS!"

Where do they come from? Where!? Quick match is all but dead and the server list is a fucking gutter -- A sewer.

And yet this is what they want. Community has spoken. No longer can you have any illusion that there's anything out there but random little shits and LEET SNIPERZ. This is the Battlefield community. Go us.

edit:
I should say this was a bit tongue in cheek... a bit. Been a long day trying to find decent matches.

TheSeks

R1-R1-R1-R1-R1

"Search"

"[DICE]-Back To Karkand-"

Tah-dah. You found all the DICE servers.

Now favorite all the DICE owned servers!

R1-R1-R1

"Favorites"

UPVOTE JOIN ALL THE SERVERS!

Rebel Leader

Got the server full, show your ugly faces.

odlTB.jpg

vixlar

I just bought this fantastic game. Some thoughts:

I would like the planes to act as bombers, with an interface like the mortar has. And I think it needs an intelligence role too. Some kind of "super spotting device". And you must chose between having that spotting device, the bomber or the heat-seeking missiles.

Note: After I saw ome videos, I see that there is a weapon to attack below, and that planes have the spotting upgraded, they can spot from far away.

I wish you could enlarge the minimap like in PC.

And I hate Rush with tickets different from 100%. I think that percetage should affect the explosion time too. If attackers have 200% tickets, the m-com should last 1 minute from charge to explode.

And I miss the weapon stars from BC2. I think the stars subtly invited you to try different weapons. Few kills to get bronze star, and more and more kills from subsequent stars. This made you change your weapon to get another 500 points for bronze star, and so, you can know all weapons and chose your favorite.

All in all the game is really fun. My kill ratio is still less than one, but my fun ratio is over 9000!!!!

TheMan

I just bought this fantastic game. Some thoughts:

I would like the planes to act as bombers, with an interface like the mortar has. And I think it needs an intelligence role too. Some kind of "super spotting device". And you must chose between having that spotting device, the bomber or the heat-seeking missiles.

Note: After I saw ome videos, I see that there is a weapon to attack below, and that planes have the spotting upgraded, they can spot from far away.

I wish you could enlarge the minimap like in PC.

And I hate Rush with tickets different from 100%. I think that percetage should affect the explosion time too. If attackers have 200% tickets, the m-com should last 1 minute from charge to explode.

And I miss the weapon stars from BC2. I think the stars subtly invited you to try different weapons. Few kills to get bronze star, and more and more kills from subsequent stars. This made you change your weapon to get another 500 points for bronze star, and so, you can know all weapons and chose your favorite.

All in all the game is really fun. My kill ratio is still less than one, but my fun ratio is over 9000!!!!

i just started playing a few days ago. In case you didn't know, the back 2 karkand map pack is on sale for 600 fuckbucks this week.

I'm having fun with the game as well. Don't really care for the plane controls tbh, and for some reason maps always seem either too big or too small, but yeah it's fun. and since it was only 20 bucks i guess i can't complain too much.

Top Bottom