• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Good games last night 360 GAF. My highlight of the night was rolling with Odysseus with his Little Bird on Canals. At one point he was strafing the US carrier with his z-11, got two engineers to about no health, I jumped out, finished them off with my rifle and he was able to swoop back and pick me up with 1 second on the out of bounds timer left. Was really fun.

meppi

The unlock system in this game is such a joke.
I'm starting to give the sniper rifles a try and really like the SKS so far, but I'd love to try and play with a decent bolt action rifle like I used to do in BC2.

Since I have no clue which weapon I have to pick this time as there's no GOL in the game, I'd like to try out a various ones and see how they handle.
The problem with this is that I loved to play with a x4 scope on it like in BC2 and go rambo recon on their asses.
But to do this, you either have to lay on a rock somewhere for a couple of hours and snipe with a x8 or remove the scope altogether, which basically means that your best option is to play metro to get a bunch of close quarter kills. :-/

So before I even get to use the weapon in a manner to my liking I have to sacrifice several hours to get all the shit unlocked that I don't have any interest in.
Best part of it all, when this is done and I end up not liking the weapon, I can do it all over again for the next one I'd like to try. Brilliant! :-/

Oh and once you do play a round of metro, without even picking it, some little shit like Simple Jack bans you from his server because you killed him a couple of times. Bah.
Keep up the good work, my lad. Perhaps one day you'll get your W/L stat out of the red if you team stack enough. SMH

Word to that. Great games last night. GAF had the top six slots on the scoreboard every game.

Meppi, it doesn't take long to get fifty kills for an ACOG. Use irons if you're playing aggressively, rifle scope for camping/Rush. Good news is that once you have the ACOG or PK-A BF3 sniping feels like BC2. No scope drift, no lens glint.

meppi

Meppi, it doesn't take long to get fifty kills for an ACOG. Use irons if you're playing aggressively, rifle scope for camping/Rush. Good news is that once you have the ACOG or PK-A BF3 sniping feels like BC2. No scope drift, no lens glint.

Ah. Good news indeed. I'm about halfway there for the M40A5. The I only need the straight pull bolt. The ACOG for the SV98 is 175 kills though. :-/
Had no idea that the sniping with a x4 would feel like BC2. That's actually why I didn't even bother with them at first. Since they feel so very different and it seemed they neutered the option to go aggressive recon like I loooooooooooooved to do in BC2.

Back to grinding it seems. ;)

watership

Failed to connect to EA online. Right in the middle of a match. Xbox Live, running fine. 2012 is the year I started to actively dislike EA, all over again.

meppi

And that's why Microsoft should never have allowed EA to shove their own online structure down our throats.
What a failure of a company this is... EA that is.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Ah. Good news indeed. I'm about halfway there for the M40A5. The I only need the straight pull bolt. The ACOG for the SV98 is 175 kills though. :-/
Had no idea that the sniping with a x4 would feel like BC2. That's actually why I didn't even bother with them at first. Since they feel so very different and it seemed they neutered the option to go aggressive recon like I loooooooooooooved to do in BC2.

Back to grinding it seems. ;)

Do you have the Karkand expansion? I like the L96 quite a bit as a mid range aggressive recon rifle.

meppi

I do. I'll try it out once EA has posted their press release about how the unprecedented demand for battlefield was just too much even for them and how they have put up more servers for hire now to cope with the millions of players flooding in. :-/

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That loss was a hard one to take... since it was due to mental errors in clutch time.

We had both LAV's and A and C.

In that situation, when we are behind in tickets, you do not try to take B! That's a meat grinder hallway that will burn through tickets for no real advantage. Hold the two outer flags with the armor and watch the tickets drain. Let them run to us! WE HAD THEIR FUCKING ARMOR!!!

We had the game. We had it. Basic fucking common sense was nowhere to be found in the final mins. That loss hurt. We are supposed to be smarter than the other teams.

I love you guys man, but I need to say this (AGAIN).

I hate playing rush with some of you
I hate playing rush with some of you.

We need to have a lecture on every single defense strategy.
If you lose bazaar and Seinen set 1 instantly, WE NEED TO SIT DOWN AND HAVE A CLASS.

1. There is never a fucking reason to stay in the chopper for dpeak defense. At most you can have one person, that's it. Even as a mobiel spawn point, the thing suck. You still have to parachute down. Most of time you guys are just wasting our tickets.
  2. For the love of god, stop putting beacons in open air. You're wasting everyone's time by letting people parachute.
  3. Rush isn't conquest. You won't all get points by flooding to the objective. If A armed, at most have 3 people go disarm it, 3 people watch it. The rest of the team need to be watching the other m-com. Everytime I see all the blue dot move toward one m-com, I know we're fucked.
  4. If you don't know how to use the c4-mcom strategy, then don't fucking use it. You're wasting someone else' c4. Don't ever put it on the screen (cause it's obvious) Don't ever place it on the front, and don't ever place it near the ground.
  5. Stop chasing after shit. This is the same as BC2. There are enemies that are priority targets and there are enemies who aren't. That sniper 200 miles away should not be your f-ing concern.
  6. I HAVE NEVER GIVEN A FUCK ABOUT VEHICLES. If you're an engineer/support and you feel it's your job, fine, I don't give a shit. If you're any other class, move your ass.
  7. Be near M-coms. I AM SICK OF SAYING THIS. There is no fucking reason I should find all my squad mates outside. You know what I said to myself when I saw thn's tank and me were the only people in dpeak's 4th set?:

WE"RE FUCKED.

And we were.

SOMEONE COME ARGUE WITH ME AND JUSTIFY YOUR BEHAVIOR.
(THAT OR WE ALL NEED TO GO PLAY BC2 AGAIN AND LEARN HOW D IS PLAYED

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'll argue with you if you want to armchair commander since I'm the armchair commander king (and Tank King. Fuck you TN and Call of Duty. That's my role.
Until BF3 fucked up maps to where Tanks aren't useful very much anymore.
).

In theory (and I say this having seen it once you can take a few areas of the A crate building third set off to where the helicopter may have a use there for gunners (is there even guns on that helicopter?) to lay down fire. But the problem is destroying those areas.

A moron's guide to how to play Rush D

General tips:

How to C4-mcoms/The Art of C4-ing mcoms
The most common problem with C4-mcom defense is that people either don't know where the place the C4, or they blow it prematurely.

To address the issue of placing the C4:
  1. You should never place the C4 on the screen. It's an obvious trap to anyone who sees it. I don't know why people do this.
  2. You should try not to place the c4 on the front or bottom. This will reduce the chance of it setting off from random fires/ grenade on the ground.
  3. If possible always place c4s, behind the m-com, where the attacker is unlikely to see it.
  4. If the mcom is placed against a wall, It's better to place the c4 on the wall itself instead the m-com. Do this especially if the wall is destructible (see next point).
  5. On certain sets, the environment will change after you C4ed the m-com a couple of times.
    1. The beam behind on metro second set, mcom A, will start to have a crack in the middle after awhile. If placed well enough, you can put a c4 into the wall, and it'll be shielded from most grenade and fire.
    2. The wall behind Demavend peak, second set (forgot A or b) will come down if you c4 it from the mcom side. Once the wall come down you can place c4s on the back, which are oblivious to any attacker coming in (they can't jump over.)
  6. Don't just c4 the m-com. If you have extra c4 to spear, also place a c4 at areas that they'll likely to camp the m-com once armed.
  7. Always use 2 c4s on a m-com, but no more than that.

To address the issue when to detonate the C4:
  • If you want to take on the job of c4ing the mcom- you have to know that it'll be completely pointless if 1) the m-com is away from your sight/mini-map. 2) You get killed. So, if you're going to play this role, you have to stay back and out of sight. Don't bother if you see yourself far far far away from the objective.
  • It's best if you can get a recon to put down motion sensors in the area for you. Otherwise, spot your enemies
  • Don't just blow the c-4 the moment you see someone running near the m-com. Spot them and take cover first. Give the enemy about 1 second to remain still on the mini-map and then trigger the c4.
    [

Where to place Spawn Beacons
  1. The obvious rule that people seem to ignore is 1. Don't ever place your beacon outdoors (unless rule 2 apply.)
  2. Rule 2: Always place your beacon outdoors for maps with no air vehicles.
  3. Rule 3, never place your beacon at a choke point or somewhere obviously visible. You're asking to be beacon-camped.
  4. Rule 4: places to put beacons:
    1. Inside those yellow trash bins, crates (ex: the one right outside of dpeak set 1's A B m-com.
    2. Low visibility areas, within trash piles, dark tunnels, submerged section of the boat on seinen.
    3. Indestructible environments (bushes).
    4. Behind enemy lines
    5. Behind garage doors

How to optimally use your motion sensors
  • Same as beacons, you should never leave motion sensors in clear visible areas. You're just asking for it to be destroyed immediately. Take advantage of BS indestructible terrains or corners.
  • A really obvious one is to take advantage of the terrain difference, such as a separate floor or up in the air..
  • For better tactics, place it at spots where no one can even see it:
    1. You know those m-coms that are housed inside of those elevated crates?(Kharg, wake) - You can play a T-ugs under the crate and it would be totally invisible.
    2. Same goes for building wreckage. A favorite spot is under the staircase of the building behind Highway mcom A. The motion sensor will stay up even when that building is torn down.
    3. Those freaking indestructible bushes on metro.
    4. Unreachable building tops (seinen, Karkland rush)
    5. On top of the create right inside of dpeak 3rd set

Destructible walls, use them to your advantage
  • All the walls blocking dpeak second set (always destroy these walls anyway, I usually get 2-3 kills just from getting the people who camp behind it.)
  • Those white monoliths blocking norshar canal final set.
  • Any t-highway wall with those flowery patterns (good for added visibility for the RU side.)

HOW TO DEFEND

Bazaar:
Minimum requirement for your squad: 1 of each class.
1. The recon in the squad needs to volunteer and watch B with the suppression perk + automatic weapon. Motion sensor should be placed along the wall (not on the f-ing ground) and then a spawn beacon should be placed on one of the high cushions (preferably next to the m-com, you can reach it by jumping onto the m-com.) After doing all the setup work, the recon needs to start positioning itself on one of the high cushions (again, not floor) looking over one of the doors.

2. The support needs to place c4 m-coms around the door ways. He may then camp inside the room with the recon or hang out at the doorways, but not too far off.

3. The engineer can guard A while watching over the door way of B. At times necessary, the squad may need the engineer to rocket into B.

4. The assault can go ahead be the run and gun aggressive front line pusher. At emergencies, the assault need to spawn back in B to dish out revives and med packs.

Optimal: 2 squads with the same setup.

Seinen
Minimum requirement for squad: 1 recon, 1 support.

1. The recon and support need to immediately run to B.

2. The recon need to place the spawn beacon inside of B's garage and a motion sensor outside, either on the crate or near the door way.

3.The support, preferably with shotgun should stick around the two back doors with explosives. C4-mcom is recommended if possible.

3. Any other class can do whatever they want, but it is advised that at least one person prone on top of the crate inside B.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't know how you guys manage to pull off C4ing the M-COM, 9 times out of 10, the room where it's in gets flooded with enemy grenades, destroying any explosives laid down. Although in the first weeks after release, it was incredibly easy.

TheSeks

A moron's guide to how to play Rush D

If you're a moron, you shouldn't be playing Rush in the first place. *finger snap in a Z*

monsterfracas said:
I don't know how you guys manage to pull off C4ing the M-COM, 9 times out of 10, the room where it's in gets flooded with enemy grenades, destroying any explosives laid down. Although in the first weeks after release, it was incredibly easy.

Some people
(Read: ME)
sneak around and are idiots and rush directly to the crate instead of throwing a grenade to break stealth because they think they're safe and can arm silently (well, before the BEEP BEEP CRATE HAS BEEN ARMED BEEP BEEP) and get away in time and don't notice the C4 there. :(

Read my guide above once I'm done with it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Some people
(Read: ME)
sneak around and are idiots and rush directly to the crate instead of throwing a grenade to break stealth because they think they're safe and can arm silently (well, before the BEEP BEEP CRATE HAS BEEN ARMED BEEP BEEP) and get away in time and don't notice the C4 there. :(

When I'm by myself, I usually try to turn randoms on my team into distractions, then sprint for the M-COM to arm lol. I don't bother with stealth most of the time because no matter what I do, there's going to be some guy on our team who wants to be Rambo and just shoot shit up.

Read my guide above once I'm done with it.
The main rule that should be plastered all over that guide should be

-----------Do NOT snipe at your spawn in Rush--------------

In most matches I get, there's 1 or two guys just trying to snipe from thousands of meters away, yeah that's going to help the team so much.

TheSeks

When I'm by myself, I usually try to turn randoms on my team into distractions, then sprint for the M-COM to arm lol. I don't bother with stealth most of the time because no matter what I do, there's going to be some guy on our team who wants to be Rambo and just shoot shit up.

See: I'm the type of person that will break away from squad if they're dying (and this is often in public games) to attempt to go around and get into a better position. I can't trust randoms to spawn on me at times (hell, I've been in situations going "PLZSPAWNPLZSPAWNPLZSPAWN" but they spawn at base. WTF DUDES) to where I rather sneak around and be "useless" to them as a spawn point than be "useful" and dying attempting to take a crate that could be undefended as soon as I arm the other non-defended one.

meppi

Well that last Gulf of Oman game was really stupid until they finally started attempting to cap D over and over again.
Tried to get my final 10 SV98 there, but only got two. lol
At least one of them was a 799meter headshot. ;)
Afterwards things got too boring and I just started driving around in a tank to actually do something besides being a palm tree wookie.

Fracas

#fuckonami
See: I'm the type of person that will break away from squad if they're dying (and this is often in public games) to attempt to go around and get into a better position. I can't trust randoms to spawn on me at times (hell, I've been in situations going "PLZSPAWNPLZSPAWNPLZSPAWN" but they spawn at base. WTF DUDES) to where I rather sneak around and be "useless" to them as a spawn point than be "useful" and dying attempting to take a crate that could be undefended as soon as I arm the other non-defended one.

That's the main thing I need to learn in BF3, not to trust randoms. So many times, I'll run up to a friendly for ammo/health/etc and get ignored. Watching my squad all play as Recon and sniping from the same spot is disheartening. Seeing my teammates sprint one by one into the line of fire from an enemy LMG is just ridiculous (although kind of funny). There should seriously be a mandatory multiplayer tutorial that goes through all these things.

TheSeks

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit, Dreamy: I never knew about the beacon clipping through the crate of B Damavand. THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING! #GameChanger

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit, Dreamy: I never knew about the beacon clipping through the crate of B Damavand. THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING! #GameChanger

It wouldn't work on damavand I don't think. Although I never tried it. It only works on those green crates on wake and kharg.

tn2007

Just want to say one thing about the recon class. Most overrated class on metro conquest. When you have more than one recon in your squad and only one assault, I know we are gonna get ran through. I've only seen one person on GAF to play recon class correctly on metro and that's Olimpia. Everyone else tends to puts beacons and sensors in the stupidest places. I hate recon class more than Dream hates vehicles.

BoatAck

Just want to say one thing about the recon class. Most overrated class on metro conquest. When you have more than one recon in your squad and only one assault, I know we are gonna get ran through. I've only seen one person on GAF to play recon class correctly on metro and that's Olimpia. Everyone else tends to puts beacons and sensors in the stupidest places. I hate recon class more than Dream hates vehicles.

Is that in reference to me?

BoatAck

No it's a reference to recons in general. I just hate that class. I prefer you as an assault than recon if to be honest.

I just didn't want us stuck and bottled up at A, so I stuck around at C and didn't do much attacking so as to be a spawn point for you guys there.

tn2007

I just didn't want us stuck and bottled up at A, so I stuck around at C and didn't do much attacking so as to be a spawn point for you guys there.

Sorry I'm just upset on the metro match prior the one you joined on. I understand the concept of what you were doing, but my opinion is that unless you can hide a beacon really well, the class is useless. Now if you place a spawn beacon down and say your capping a point or you need help. Can I spawn on you? Nope, because of your beacon. I rather have a mobile spawn and someone that can revive me. Assault has better weapons and better kit items.

tn2007

I'm really fighting an urge to comment. Really.

Don't fight it. Go ahead and explain to me how recon is not useless in metro conquest. Rush I can understand but conquest I just don't see it.

Have you ever killed 3 people and than get killed, only to watch the 3 people you killed get revived. Is that not annoying? Guess what only assault can do that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If you're playing assault recon and coming up on a contested flag... there isn't really a lot of room to get cute with the TUGS. I attack the flag, usually sprinting towards it holding the TUGS so I can slap it down quickly and identify the lurker's position.

On rush games, things are different. You have time/room to think.

As far as the spawn bcn I just drop it in areas near the fight. Try to keep it out of the way, and never outside, but not much thought goes into it beyond that.

I find TUGS to be very powerful on CQB maps like metro.

Abu went pc, but couldn't get along with pc gaf.

"Too merc-like" he said.

Then without friends, he just left bf3 entirely a few months ago.

Hence, RIP.

Don't know if he's ever coming back.

Don't fight it. Go ahead and explain to me how recon is not useless in metro conquest. Rush I can understand but conquest I just don't see it.

Have you ever killed 3 people and than get killed, only to watch the 3 people you killed get revived. Is that not annoying? Guess what only assault can do that.

If you hide a beacon well, you can constantly cap flags and make people spend their time goose chasing after you - while other flags are capped :).

*ZING~*

other news.....6 more kills and I can be rid of the now horribly nerfed ump-45

JJD

Played something like 20 games tonight, everything went well besides minor lag here and there, we won all games...

Then came Gulf of Oman, and I froze...twice in the same game.

That map is cursed.

Abu went pc, but couldn't get along with pc gaf.

"Too merc-like" he said.

Then without friends, he just left bf3 entirely a few months ago.

Hence, RIP.

Don't know if he's ever coming back.

If his PS3 didn't die I bet he would still be playing with us. Probably the best player I've played with on GAF. Dude was amazing either on any vehicle or on foot, and a really nice guy too! Getting ace pin when he was around was almost impossible.

Also, where's Crak? I see him online every now and then but I've never seen him playing BF3. He was another ace player too.

We lost some great guys, but I'm really glad we found some new ones! :)

TCRS

Banned
Yesterday an admin banned me because I killed him in his chopper. And it wasn't just some kid either, that guy's got loads if videos online, good stats etc.. But that's what you get with clan douches who think they're the bomb. Wouldn't be all that bad if I could find DICE servers. But no, all we get is private ones with stupid admins.

meppi

Yesterday an admin banned me because I killed him in his chopper. And it wasn't just some kid either, that guy's got loads if videos online, good stats etc.. But that's what you get with clan douches who think they're the bomb. Wouldn't be all that bad if I could find DICE servers. But no, all we get is private ones with stupid admins.

Well he can't make a youtube video of people owning him like a little bitch, now can he? ;)

Dice should really have a system in place that revokes those kicking/banning options of admins that abuse their power.

Top Bottom