• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

vixlar

I got a little question about the MAV. Is its motion sensor activated when I'm not using it? Could I fly the MAV to a strategic position and then go out and still work as a motion sensor? I doubt it, beacuse the T-UGS would lose all its usefulness, but I want to be sure :-D

Overdoziz

Banned
I got a little question about the MAV. Is its motion sensor activated when I'm not using it? Could I fly the MAV to a strategic position and then go out and still work as a motion sensor? I doubt it, beacuse the T-UGS would lose all its usefulness, but I want to be sure :-D
It does. I think the T-UGS has a slightly longer range though.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Not exactly.. T-UGS is a bit easier to hide and not as big as a MAV

JJD

Not exactly.. T-UGS is a bit easier to hide and not as big as a MAV

Yeah, but the mav is more versatile. You can park it on unreachable places and even on places where the enemy will have trouble shooting it.

Maybe faceless or seks can confirm this but I don't remember hearing a beeping sound when I'm close to an enemy mav like when I'm close to a t-ugs.

Post patch, MAV and t-ugs are now suppose have the same range.
Although some still claim that the MAV's range is larger (was actually 25% longer pre-patch)

MAV has an obvious beep also. Although I'm not sure if it's proximity adjusted like the t-ugs.
The T-ugs beeps louder as enemy approaches it, making it the preferred tool for camping snipers who can't focus on their map.

T-ugs vs. MAV:

T-ugs
Pro: The T-ugs' scan is constantly on. Any moving target running at faster than crouching speed within its range will be constantly displayed on map. It is also much difficult to spot, since you can't see the player's name unless the cross-hair is exactly pointing at the tiem.

Con: The t-ugs will not detect anyone who is crouching, in prone or moving at a slow enough speed.

MAV
Pro: MAV is able to scan any moving target regardless of speed. MAV can also be moved to inaccessible areas. Furthermore, it can be used to 3D spot when in flight, while still maintaining its general AOE. Other stuff: destroy enemy equipment, detonate enemy claymores, ram a chopper blade <3)

Con: MAV scans in sweeps. In other words, it'll scan your enemy for 1-2 seconds, and then they'll be off the mini-map until the next sweep. MAVs are much easier to spot, not just because of its size, but also because it has a more reflective surface (brighter in dark areas.)

Personally I use the MAV more just because it's easier to pick up + no worrying about movement speed. I rarely have my motion sensor destroyed (position it well), so its size is never a concern for me.

OG Kush

Post patch, MAV and t-ugs are now suppose have the same range.
Although some still claim that the MAV's range is larger (was actually 25% longer pre-patch)

MAV has an obvious beep also. Although I'm not sure if it's proximity adjusted like the t-ugs.
The T-ugs beeps louder as enemy approaches it, making it the preferred tool for camping snipers who can't focus on their map.

T-ugs vs. MAV:

T-ugs
Pro: The T-ugs' scan is constantly on. Any moving target running at faster than crouching speed within its range will be constantly displayed on map. It is also much difficult to spot, since you can't see the player's name unless the cross-hair is exactly pointing at the tiem.

Con: The t-ugs will not detect anyone who is crouching, in prone or moving at a slow enough speed.

MAV
Pro: MAV is able to scan any moving target regardless of speed. MAV can also be moved to inaccessible areas. Furthermore, it can be used to 3D spot when in flight, while still maintaining its general AOE. Other stuff: destroy enemy equipment, detonate enemy claymores, ram a chopper blade <3)

Con: MAV scans in sweeps. In other words, it'll scan your enemy for 1-2 seconds, and then they'll be off the mini-map until the next sweep. MAVs are much easier to spot, not just because of its size, but also because it has a more reflective surface (brighter in dark areas.)

Personally I use the MAV more just because it's easier to pick up + no worrying about movement speed. I rarely have my motion sensor destroyed (position it well), so its size is never a concern for me.

Thanks man, really needed this info! Still have no idea how the average player is meant to know all this. Where did you get this info from?

Thanks man, really needed this info! Still have no idea how the average player is meant to know all this. Where did you get this info from?

They are simply not, and they won't know unless they read about it online. DICE lack of a tutorial is a complete joke and the average joe probably has no idea what half the things are in BF3 multi. Not to mention the major changes that happen with patches, unless you are on the forums, you have no idea.

Really need a better tutorial and an in-game way to communicate to players about updates and changes made to the game. I am convinced the lack of those are by design and exactly what DICE wants though.

Uh...how do you think people know about these thing?
Do you think Dice has some all access guide to BF3 somewhere?
Players tested it out to learn this stuff, like no one taught faceless his out-of-bound tactics.

That being said, the mortar is so unappreciated in rush

Uh...how do you think people know about these thing?
Do you think Dice has some all access guide to BF3 somewhere?
Players tested it out to learn this stuff, like no one taught faceless his out-of-bound tactics.

there's so much basic stuff that people just don't know. a tutorial would help.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Because it got nerfed and is pretty much crap now. Hit marker. Hit marker. Hit marker. No medic boxes. So they're either healing faster or the damage is dismal.

I remember when I could 4-shot a tank with the mortar if they didn't move and two-shot disable it. Now it seems impossible to even do that.

Old Gimlet Eyes said:
I've got an idea. How about short tips in between loading screens! Brilliant! Certainly that will suffice to properly inform players of the nuances of BF3.

Except even those aren't accurate: Squad Perks only stack AFTER YOU SPAWN. So the first person to spawn in the game before the others in that squad gets only THEIR perk until they respawn. The loading screen makes it seem it's automatic and will stack as soon as someone chooses a different perk and spawns. No such thing.

Honestly, the only thing they need to explain is the fucking spot button and kit item deployment. Anything else can be gotten via trial and error.

Also the MAV range has been nerfed to where it isn't the "go-to" beacon anymore. You do have an advantage in using it for hard to reach areas (but on the downside having to refly it to those areas if you get killed and not revived) where the T-UGS can't reach, but the T-UGS is smaller and can be placed up a floor or down a floor and thus "see" where people are. If you hide them in the dark or hard to see areas they're impossible to find at times.

Because it got nerfed and is pretty much crap now. Hit marker. Hit marker. Hit marker. No medic boxes. So they're either healing faster or the damage is dismal.

Yeah, but it's so useful against "all defenders near m-com" tactics on non-vehicle maps. Pop the m-com up, and I easily get 3-4 kills in those scenarios + help the team arm and destroy. Also wish people pulled up the mortar more when I have the mav up.

TheSeks

The smokes useful, but there's no kill ability. I do what you say and all I get are hit markers now after it got nerfed. It's pure WTF. I can understand nerfing it to deter spam. But I can hit two markers in the area and not get a kill (or at least damage them enough to where a third pop if they're still disarming kills them) is crazy and why I haven't carried it. Screw that shit.

vixlar

Hey, guys. Thanks to all of you for helping me to clarify the differences between MAV and T-UGS.

My last games as recon using the MAV I was the best recon and that with 0 kills, hehehe. I got a lot of motion sensor ribbons, so my general level went up a lot.

It is wonderful that you can use the MAV to deactivate enemy gadgets... and my jaw dropped when I discovered you can deactivate enemy claymores!!!

This game is fantastic <3

Olimpia:
That PYR clan has got to be the shittiest clan I've ever dealt with. Ignoring that whole useless squad thing on Dpeak. Someone (mbopy22) from your your team even switched over, so they can figure out where I'm placing the beacons (at which point I quickly moved it and killed a bunch of morons who went for the old spot.) Talk about freaking shady...

Then the next game, they all joined up together to team stack. Half way through, they start losing all the flags and almost got spawn camped at C. This whole time, one lonely recon was sitting in A, waiting 20 minutes for someone to spawn in and help cap. Thank god rockscar joined on that game.

TheSeks

Sounds like the community's gotten worse since I've been down.

I'm committed to doing the "Drop 'em like Liquid" achievement this weekend. Can I interest anyone in some swearing and mission restarts?

olimpia84

Olimpia:
That PYR clan has got to be the shittiest clan I've ever dealt with. Ignoring that whole useless squad thing on Dpeak. Someone (mbopy22) from your your team even switched over, so they can figure out where I'm placing the beacons (at which point I quickly moved it and killed a bunch of morons who went for the old spot.) Talk about freaking shady...

Then the next game, they all joined up together to team stack. Half way through, they start losing all the flags and almost got spawn camped at C. This whole time, one lonely recon was sitting in A, waiting 20 minutes for someone to spawn in and help cap. Thank god rockscar joined on that game.

lol, they are definitely not the best around. The reason I switched during that game is because I was helping my non-gaffer friend (marcePY) since he had some kind of bet with a PyR guy in your squad (his name was ciclonxever or something like that). The reason mbopy switched sides was to find out where this ciclone guy was so they could take his dogtag. It was definitely one of the most boring games in my BF career but at least I added some points to my scout heli stats.

TheSeks

shit i just realised that i probably should search for clan servers to find the best games?

Not really. GAF got banned off one because we turned their three flag bleed around to win. Bunch of butthurt losers.

facless: I wish gaf can play dpeak defense like that round

You tell a fucking recon to put down motion sensors, and he became a mav whore.
Fucking no win.

then it's always the same fucking shit with rush. No one wants to stay near the m-com, watch dream take on 5 guys and a fucking tank.
Where is everyone else? "frontlines", driving the vehicle away from the base. flying in a fucking useless chopper.

It's the same as always. If I'm in the top 3, that mean the defenses are shit.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Same as my gaf handle. :)

I wont be on tonight though...

Dream! I missed out!? Crap!

finally got around to adding you and you apparently have a full friends list! Mr popular i see!

Any ps3 GAF on?

I'm committed to doing the "Drop 'em like Liquid" achievement this weekend. Can I interest anyone in some swearing and mission restarts?

If you are on ps3 i will happily do it with you, i dont have mic though so you'll need skype or steam chat etc

EDIT: ahhh achievement...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
finally got around to adding you and you apparently have a full friends list! Mr popular i see!

Any ps3 GAF on?

If you are on ps3 i will happily do it with you, i dont have mic though so you'll need skype or steam chat etc

EDIT: ahhh achievement...

I had no idea I was full up... I'll trim some fat later. Please resend.

I'm terribly addicted to Dragon's Dogma at the moment though... probably won't be on BF for a couple more days. Game is so awesome I can't stop playing. My irl friends are probably going to send a search party out for me, since I've barely surfaced for air since getting it.

TheSeks

hahahaha oh wow... i had to break out the M26 Dart again... for some reason half of the other team was using it!

What on PS3 or 360?

I'm jonesing for some Oman bad. GODDAMN IT ISP, FIX MY CONNECTION ALREADY.
So I can also grind the last 3000 kills I need in BC1 for platinum and can put it to rest. *sigh*

New job is going to throw a wrench in my playtime(s). Gonna focus on BC1 mostly since there's fewer players while also getting the CQC achievements (if any) when CQC launches but a month later. *sigh*

What on PS3 or 360?

I'm jonesing for some Oman bad. GODDAMN IT ISP, FIX MY CONNECTION ALREADY.
So I can also grind the last 3000 kills I need in BC1 for platinum and can put it to rest. *sigh*

New job is going to throw a wrench in my playtime(s). Gonna focus on BC1 mostly since there's fewer players while also getting the CQC achievements (if any) when CQC launches but a month later. *sigh*

on PS3.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/47469846/4/173517439/

It's really disappointing that we have to choose between power tripping admins and in game glitch bs. If I join a dice server, it's M26 Dart city. If I join a custom server, I get kicked for dominating the other team.

I got killed by a USAS-12 with frag rounds last night. I guess he didn't get the memo. And even though the 870 got a frag buff, I don't think I've ever been killed by it.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
It's really disappointing that we have to choose between power tripping admins and in game glitch bs. If I join a dice server, it's M26 Dart city. If I join a custom server, I get kicked for dominating the other team.

i%20know%20that%20feel2.png

I got killed by a USAS-12 with frag rounds last night. I guess he didn't get the memo. And even though the 870 got a frag buff, I don't think I've ever been killed by it.

That's the sad thing.
USAS-12/M26-DART is forever tainted.

You'll look like a scrub using it even if it get fixed.

meppi

Better yet, I saw someone commit suicide with a USAS a couple of days ago!
Now that takes some effort. :D

Nori Chan

Because I'm bored:
Things I hate:
  • People who go out of their way to knife people and then think they're special (they are, in the mentally handicapped way.)

I personally hate getting my dog tags taken. It's like oh hey you're ass wasn't paying attention to your surroundings and now you're getting fucked up for it.

plus i love my 7 star knife :)

JJD

I imagine most of you guys have already seen this:

Battlefield Premium will cost £35/$60, according to a new report.

A Battlefield Premium listing on Coolshop.co.uk (spotted by MP1st) carries a 29th June release date and a £34.96 price.

Its description: "BF3 Premium Service is 1 code in a box to give the consumers early access to the BF3 DLC expansion packs - Back to Karkand (already released), Close Quarters (releasing June), Armoured Kill (releasing Sept) and End Game (releasing December)."

Battlefield Premium, thought to be set for a reveal during EA's E3 2012 press conference, is said to include early access to DLC and "premium benefits". It includes access to a mysterious fifth DLC expansion called Aftermath.

MP1st lists the contents:

20 Maps.
20 New Weapons.
10+ New Vehicles.
4+ New Game Modes.
30+ Assignments.
20+ Dog Tags.
Also includes "Premium Benefits" which are made up of skins, camos and most importantly early access to all DLC.

These maps, weapons, vehicles game modes assignments and dog tags are spread across the following DLC:
Back to Karkand.
Close Quarters in June 2012.
Armored Kill in autumn 2012.
Aftermath in late 2012.
End Game in spring 2013.

PS3 Gaf, what's your instance in this package? Are you guys getting it?

I'm not proud to admit that I'll buy it. It's 15 bucks per map pack if you disregard B2K which most of us already own. I would probably get then all without the extras.

I hope enough of you guys bite the bullet, I'm not looking forward to play mostly with randoms.

I've been playing Diablo a lot lately, and Max Payne too but I'm missing steamrolling with GAF.

Top Bottom