• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

OG Kush

If you played TF2 before the class updates, you can see how they ruined the fine balance they had (reason why it took 5+ years from TFQW/TFClassic? I guess...). I say that a non-pro but very serious about class balance in a class-based shooter player. If you don't mind the "SO WACKY XD!" class-updates, that's cool. Valve obviously wanted the game to be a casual shooter and that's fine. But for some of us (read: ME) that want a more balanced and more "serious" round where all the classes have a role and you don't have to worry about randomity, it's terrible and it's why I'm soured on TF2 completely.

I loved TF2, past tense. Started during the beta even, and it'll still go down as one of my favourite games ever as I just have such fond memories of it, but when they started adding all these crazy weapons and hats I just lost it. I was fine with the class updates, adding a set of new weapons for each class. But then they just went overboard. How am I as a player meant to know what every single piece of item and weapon does to another play stats? Before there was a skill in atleast being able to judge a situatin accordingly to what weapon the enemy had. "Ok the Heavy's got that gun which will slow me down, meaning I should stay out his way".
Now theres so many fucking different guns and shit I have no idea what is going on. All people care about his stupid fuckin hats and drops.. It also ruined the beautiful visual identity the game had.

Man, maybe one day I'll go back to it. I put 500 hours into! (still probably nothing to some of the GAFers here) but shit aint the same..

I loved TF2, past tense. Started during the beta even, and it'll still go down as one of my favourite games ever as I just have such fond memories of it, but when they started adding all these crazy weapons and hats I just lost it. I was fine with the class updates, adding a set of new weapons for each class. But then they just went overboard. How am I as a player meant to know what every single piece of item and weapon does to another play stats? Before there was a skill in atleast being able to judge a situatin accordingly to what weapon the enemy had. "Ok the Heavy's got that gun which will slow me down, meaning I should stay out his way".
Now theres so many fucking different guns and shit I have no idea what is going on. All people care about his stupid fuckin hats and drops.. It also ruined the beautiful visual identity the game had.

Man, maybe one day I'll go back to it. I put 500 hours into! (still probably nothing to some of the GAFers here) but shit aint the same..

The skill still exist.
You just have to memorize what every single weapon does.

Now the medic ubers...that is confusing as hell.
*runs into a line of fire thinking the uber is an invincibility instead of crits.*

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The skill still exist.
You just have to memorize what every single weapon does.

So, basically: skill doesn't exist then. Because they added variables to where the game isn't "balanced" anymore. Yes?

TF2 vanilla was soooooo good. All Valve had to do was put new maps on 360 and PC and bank it. But noooo they had to go and ruin the classes that all had a use. Pyro, for instance, is basically useless unless you "axtingish" now. Why? Why did they have to neuter it's role?

But that's for another topic. Has the patch released? They said it was on the 4th.

Nizz

So input lag is fixed? I'll believe it when I see it, and not a second before.
Same. I eagerly await impressions from PS3 players after the patch hits on how the controls feel. If they do fix them, I'll end up re-buying the game.

Mahonay

Banned
Same. I eagerly await impressions from PS3 players after the patch hits on how the controls feel. If they do fix them, I'll end up re-buying the game.
I'm almost afraid I'll start getting my ass kicked once the controls are tightened up, lol. My slowing reflexes have been doing me surprisingly well in BF3, that might all change though.

JJD

Man every time I take a break from the game it's just painful to come back...

I felt like I wasn't in control at all during the games we played today. My aim was way off, I was shooting like shit.

My biggest gripe with the game is that. I could stop playing BC2 for months and everything felt natural when I came back.

If I stop playing BF3 for 3 weeks I'll feel like a noob when start playing again. :-(

Mahonay

Banned
My biggest gripe with the game is that. I could stop playing BC2 for months and everything felt natural when I came back.

If I stop playing BF3 for 3 weeks I'll feel like a noob when start playing again. :-(
I've had the opposite experience. I can take long breaks from BF3 and come back just roaring. I just don't force things nearly as much and think a little more clearly when I come back from a break, which are two things that are key for good BF3 play.

Most shooters are like that for me though, every one but Call of Duty. Man, I stopped playing Black Ops for a long time because I got pretty tired of it. When I came back I was just getting absolutely decimated. That's also about the time I decided I was done with the CoD series.

TheSeks

Hoping DICE uploads some Armored Kill footage.

Hoping for a ported Heavy Metal with some more cover for infantry combat. Yes, I know it was a sniper heaven but there are so many ways to deal with them. Just make the stupid windmills not able to be landed on.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Hoping for a ported Heavy Metal with some more cover for infantry combat. Yes, I know it was a sniper heaven but there are so many ways to deal with them. Just make the stupid windmills not able to be landed on.

or better yet... make the wind affect the shots

XD
--

Nah let them land on the windmills... less people to capture the points on the ground

after the first few months, i hardly saw anyone go up on the windmills... plus, with BF3's gameplay changes it would be even harder for them to land a shot!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hmm... of all Bad Company levels I think I'd want... End of the Line.

I think it's probably the best Battlefield map.

TheSeks

Hmm... of all Bad Company levels I think I'd want... End of the Line.

I think it's probably the best Battlefield map.

I really don't like End of the Line. It's not a terrible map, but I'm sick of the tanks and last set.

I just want Deconstruction and the ability to take the cranes down with C4, killing snipers on it. None of this indestructible unless ticket count is low tower shit like Caspian. I want it to be able to be GONE at any time.

Rest of the map can stay indestructible/destructible as before.

TheSeks

Wish they would remove the retarded vehicle from Squad Deathmatch already.

Why? It was there in BC2's SDM. The issue isn't the vehicle really. It's more the fact the maps aren't designed in that mode for quick AT mine traps like they were in BC2 and the fact that thermals in that mode can light the mines up instead of having the player having to scan constantly and going slow to where C4 can also be laid by distracted by AT mine trap players.

Or bring the Bradley back since it was a better LAV than the LAV itself.

Overdoziz

Banned
Problem mostly lies in the fact that it spawns on a random location and at a moment which is practically impossible to predict precisely. And if the people in the tank (or LAV w/e) actually have people repairing them it's hard to take down and pretty much requires other teams to help try and take it down too.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Why? It was there in BC2's SDM. The issue isn't the vehicle really. It's more the fact the maps aren't designed in that mode for quick AT mine traps like they were in BC2 and the fact that thermals in that mode can light the mines up instead of having the player having to scan constantly and going slow to where C4 can also be laid by distracted by AT mine trap players.

God do I miss the bradley...

Wish they would remove the retarded vehicle from Squad Deathmatch already.
the vehicle is the best part of SDM and it's a driving force for the mode.

have you played SDM on Metro? ugh...

Bradley with turbo boost would be awesome!!!

Speaking of BC2, Vietnam SDM was interesting, they had different vehicles available depending on the map. some maps had the PBR and Phu-Bai had the Huey!

TheSeks

Speaking of BC2, Vietnam SDM was interesting, they had different vehicles available depending on the map. some maps had the PBR and Phu-Bai had the Huey!

I never played SDM in Vietnam. I'm not too fond of SDM but it isn't a terrible mode. Same with TDM. TDM would work in BF3 with some of the maps (like Metro) if it didn't spawn you into enemy lines of sight and vice-versa at times. I mostly blame that on the fact that DICE didn't add a "weight" to the spawn calculations that Bungie and other developers use in their FFA/DM modes.

TheSeks

I'm going to play now for like the next 4 hrs. Time to finish unlocking the last gun for Assault kit.

AN-94 isn't so godly like it was in BC2. :( I haven't played around with it since the "buff" to it patch.

JJD

Man Dice has got to put a ladder on the D Flag warehouse at Kharg.

Played a game today with Dan and Hunting Beast where the other team had air superiority and 2 or 3 guys camped the entire game on the roof of the warehouse rocket spamming any vehicle in the proximity.

I killed one of then when he was dropping C4 on a tank below, but it's pretty much impossible to get then if they back out.

Our chopper couldn't get to then since the jets would rip him apart.

What a shitty game...

We lost 3 games by 40, 50 tickets against 7 to 8 clan guys. :-(

Played a game today with Dan and Hunting Beast where the other team had air superiority and 2 or 3 guys camped the entire game on the roof of the warehouse rocket spamming any vehicle in the proximity.

I killed one of then when he was dropping C4 on a tank below, but it's pretty much impossible to get then if they back out.

What a shitty game...

Wouldn't a mortar do the trick? Or did they nerf it too much in the last patch?

JJD

Wouldn't a mortar do the trick? Or did they nerf it too much in the last patch?

It was nerfed pretty bad, but I guess it could work, but it was hard to spot since they would stay in the back and only pop out when vehicles were close (and they could shot at far away tanks without exposing themselves too...so you would be mortaring blind most of the time...

It didn't help that our team was weak too...

I'm just bitter at the 3 consecutive losses! Lol!

What a shitty game...

The metro game was right out of the "2 flag hold playbook."

When it took the team 5+ minute to cap B in the beginning, instantly people should go "hmm, the opponent team is above average" and giving up on the 3 flag strategy. Instead they did the usual push for A. Allowing enemies to sneak in, take B, distract people at C and easily take back their A flag with 2-3 people. I was tempted to switch on team chat just so i can relay that information to your squad, but I didn't *sigh*

The same can be said about the dpeak game.

Our team capped C and immediately everyone leaves for B/A. Learning the lesson from the last round, I placed C4 on the ground around C and waited a bit in the hallway. Chopper comes in, drop some people, i detonate the C4 - get 2-multikill, but couldn't stop the flag cap as 2 other people pop in. C taken easily.

Spawned on B, and I sneaked to A to create some distraction with a beacon, but no one in my squad was willing to spawn on it. Pop up the map and menu and you'll find that
1) People were in the chopper being useless (going for kills) and not capping A flag,
2) Rest of the team were all too focused on being engineers/keeping the tank up (which got destroyed very quickly.)

Lesson to be learned:
1)People need to know when to use a hold 2 flag or cap 3 flag strategy.
2)People need to know when to stop having a whole squad of engineer/be vehicle-minded.
3)People need to know when to divert their attention away from the "hotzone" during tight conquest rounds.

That being said, I honestly wish commander mode was in BF3. It would make relaying tactics so much easier. *sigh*

It was nerfed pretty bad, but I guess it could work, but it was hard to spot since they would stay in the back and only pop out when vehicles were close (and they could shot at far away tanks without exposing themselves too...so you would be mortaring blind most of the time...

It didn't help that our team was weak too...

I'm just bitter at the 3 consecutive losses! Lol!

There is no ladder on Kharg Island warehouse. It's the usual, fly a jet in and parachute down strategy.

I would still recommend the mortar in this case though.

I played a game with JM later on which had the same situation:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/48475127/4/188837097/

The mortar, while nerfed can still be pretty effective in suppressing enemies. Not to mention, you'll have an idea where they are once they fire/get a hitmarker anyway. So it's not as hard as it seems.

JJD

Man I got a Battlefield on PC experience today.

Played a match with Olimpia were I'm not kidding at least half the other team was glitching inside the walls. Never seen anything like it.

One guy camped the whole game on the roof of those side stairs leading to bravo, two on the wall between said stairs and lockers. I even got killed by a guy inside a wall on the middle corridor between alpha and bravo near the ticket booth.

We still won by more than a thousand tickets but I was pretty amazed by how many people would just camp there like it was the most normal thing in the world.

Those people have no shame? I would love to record games like that and expose those people.

Top Bottom