• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
CatPee said:
Only until tonight did I realize how truly terribly designed the last part of Op Metro is.
LLShC.gif

I think with better unlocks it won't be that bad.

I've somehow lost my ability to snipe at all with the default starting gun. I think the scope unlocks fucked up my ability to use that gun. DICE STOP AUTO-EQUIPPING UNLOCKS TO MY SHIT, KTHXBI.

Ketch

Bruiserk said:
Can't believe you switched teams. We almost took that base to with me and Far's concentrated push.

Dude I couldn't even move anywhere, I just wanted to put C4 on your tank and blow it up, but it was unpossible so I just quit out.

Edit: What's your PSN ID Seks? I need to associate forum posts with the people I'm shooting.

I played with a couple of you tonight, good time. Lag was a bit much, everytime i got 3 feet around anything I got rubber banded back :(

Sorry for the Destruction TK (think Scorch was hit by it) I got the kill on the enemy I was shooting at in the building tho lol.
Anyone know how the "Supression Resistance Perk" works? I noticed it before I logged and though it might be a perk to reduce the amount of blur thrown on the screen when during gun fire.
Sounds good to me, one last thing screwing up my guys vision with all the other shit added in already to blind/disorient.

JJD

Holy shit, I don't remember being owned as hard as that Operation Metro game, especially since I started playing with Gaf.

On defense the game was really good, but once we lost the third set I knew the game was over. The last set is a joke, you can only defend B if you stand literally next to it. Overall it was a great game, and I'm not mad we lost.

On the other hand when we were attacking the game turned into a nightmare! 10 gaffers and we couldn't pass the first set. What a slaughter! And we had some of our best guys playing! No way those dudes were just randoms, they were too aggressive, too coordinated to be just randoms.

By the way Seks, I saw you acting as a human spawn point, I thought "No way I'm getting close to him! If I blow his cover his gonna kill me!" Lol, so I ran past you, on the edge of the map, trying to get then from behind but 2 guys killed me...they were literally everywhere! I was really bad at that game, sorry guys!

As I said, if those guys were not a clan, they're the most badass team of randoms I've ever fought. I'm pretty certain they were a clan, they even made me think about erasing my GAF clan tag...maybe it's better if people think we're not all playing together...

Also I'm proud that even after that slaughter everyone kept playing! That was cool.

The game after metro was the proof that Noshahr Canals is impossible to win playing as americans (attacking) against a coordinated team. All their guys stayed on the game, and they didn't even manage to blow a single mcomm.

Slowly their team started bleeding players, until it was our turn to attack and we had a pretty good advantage on the number of players. Even then we had a little trouble on the second set as some gaffers joined the game on their side. I don't know how Dice can fix that map, but they gotta do something drastic. First thing should be cutting the number of vehicles when defending the first set.

That Tehran game on defense could have been good, if the lag didn't break it. Also I'm sorry if I yelled near the ending of the game on the third set were attackers went kamikaze with the tank on the last mcomm... :-( We were almost winning (they had something like 5 tickets left) and they managed to arm the mcomm and almost managed to pass that set.

It would be nice if I unlocked the squad perk "English Speaking Skill" sometime, Miniboss couldn't even understand what I was talking! Again my apologies my friend!

Woorloog said:
What? Aren't the maps' playable area smaller than on PC? I didn't meant that they'd be scaled down phsycially, merely limited like BF2's map scaling system.
nope. the playable area is the exact same size. the only difference is the Conquest 64 layout vs the Conquest 32/24 layout, as in location and amount of flags/capture points on 8 of the 9 maps (CQ64 and CQ32/24 Operation Metro are identical) and the locations of some of the home bases.

Mikasangelos said:
OK so im now getting 0 pop in, amazing looking game and a functional HD pack. If your getting crazy pop in on XBOX do this guys.

Uninstall everything if you already have.
Install HD pack alone and make sure it doesnt reboot the install.
then install the disk.

Enjoy!
so, install the HD pack from the disk, then install the disk!? awesome, i win because that's what i did anyway! was in such rush to play after the midnight launch hah!

EasyTGT said:
That last game of rush on the night city map was the worst lag fest every. shitty ass lag ruining everything! get out of here.
you know what, some people in my party mentioned this, and i didn't even make the connection until they said it, but Tehran Highway always seems to lag when you get to the city section in Rush, or just straight lag in Conquest since that's the only section... like there's something wrong with the map itself...

Bruiserk

The Faceless Master said:
nope. the playable area is the exact same size. the only difference is the Conquest 64 layout vs the Conquest 32/24 layout, as in location and amount of flags/capture points on 8 of the 9 maps (CQ64 and CQ32/24 Operation Metro are identical) and the locations of some of the home bases.

so, install the HD pack from the disk, then install the disk!? awesome, i win because that's what i did anyway! was in such rush to play after the midnight launch hah!

you know what, some people in my party mentioned this, and i didn't even make the connection until they said it, but Tehran Highway always seems to lag when you get to the city section in Rush, or just straight lag in Conquest since that's the only section... like there's something wrong with the map itself...

I haven't noticed it in conquest, but definitely in rush TH really lags at that 2nd to last base.

JJD

Didn't Dice said that they would scale down the maps for consoles? They would not chop sections of the map, but they would make everything "closer" because of the amount of players on consoles?

Bruiserk

JJD said:
Didn't Dice said that they would scale down the maps for consoles? They would not chop sections of the map, but they would make everything "closer" because of the amount of players on consoles?

Well, they made the flags closer and reduced the number of them if that's what you mean.

JJD said:
Holy shit, I don't remember being owned as hard as that Operation Metro game, especially since I started playing with Gaf.

On defense the game was really good, but once we lost the third set I knew the game was over. The last set is a joke, you can only defend B if you stand literally next to it. Overall it was a great game, and I'm not mad we lost.

On the other hand when we were attacking the game turned into a nightmare! 10 gaffers and we couldn't pass the first set. What a slaughter! And we had some of our best guys playing! No way those dudes were just randoms, they were too aggressive, too coordinated to be just randoms.

By the way Seks, I saw you acting as a human spawn point, I thought "No way I'm getting close to him! If I blow his cover his gonna kill me!" Lol, so I ran past you, on the edge of the map, trying to get then from behind but 2 guys killed me...they were literally everywhere! I was really bad at that game, sorry guys!

As I said, if those guys were not a clan, they're the most badass team of randoms I've ever fought. I'm pretty certain they were a clan, they even made me think about erasing my GAF clan tag...maybe it's better if people think we're not all playing together...

Also I'm proud that even after that slaughter everyone kept playing! That was cool.

The game after metro was the proof that Noshahr Canals is impossible to win playing as americans (attacking) against a coordinated team. All their guys stayed on the game, and they didn't even manage to blow a single mcomm.

Slowly their team started bleeding players, until it was our turn to attack and we had a pretty good advantage on the number of players. Even then we had a little trouble on the second set as some gaffers joined the game on their side. I don't know how Dice can fix that map, but they gotta do something drastic. First thing should be cutting the number of vehicles when defending the first set.

That Tehran game on defense could have been good, if the lag didn't break it. Also I'm sorry if I yelled near the ending of the game on the third set were attackers went kamikaze with the tank on the last mcomm... :-( We were almost winning (they had something like 5 tickets left) and they managed to arm the mcomm and almost managed to pass that set.

1)
The metro game pissed me off. No one was staying near the m-coms.
No one was paying attention to my mav spots (hey guys 4-5 dude in the back of the base.), and I don't even know why people weren't spawning on the beacons.

Then their defense side is a perfect example of why I say recon is a damn important class. They had 3-4 beacons set up all over the place, mav in the air, etc. We got B armed because my beacon spawned in a squad to lay down fire on the set.

2)
There is no reason for GAF to ever lose Seine Crossing first set-B. The m-com only has 3 entrances and is easily impenetrable with T-ugs/beacons set up (Ask sekoku, bruiserk). Same with metro, people were all just too far and spread out, leaving the m-com all vulnerable.

3)
Serious question: do people not see the MaV spots? The thing effectively used is hilariously deadly. I don't care if I don't ever get a kill again, MAV whore is going to become the successor to my UAV whore title >.>

-=Play to Win=-

Rainy Dog

Has anyone put enough time into co-op to estimate how long it'll take to unlock all the additional MP weapons? I fancy grinding out the SG553 at least.

JJD

Dreamgazer said:
1)
The metro game pissed me off. No one was staying near the m-coms.
No one was paying attention to my mav spots (hey guys 4-5 dude in the back of the base.), and I don't even know why people weren't spawning on the beacons.

Then their defense side is a perfect example of why I say recon is a damn important class. They had 3-4 beacons set up all over the place, mav in the air, etc. We got B armed because my beacon spawned in a squad to lay down fire on the set.

2)
There is no reason for GAF to ever lose Seine Crossing first set-B. The m-com only has 3 entrances and is easily impenetrable with T-ugs/beacons set up (Ask sekoku, bruiserk). Same with metro, people were all just too far and spread out, leaving the m-com all vulnerable.

3)
Serious question: do people not see the MaV spots? The thing effectively used is hilariously deadly. I don't care if I don't ever get a kill again, MAV whore is going to become the successor to my UAV whore title >.>

-=Play to Win=-

I gotta be frank...I didn't see the MaV spots...I'll be paying more attention next time! Also can you spawn on beacons set by other squads???

Bruiserk said:
Well, they made the flags closer and reduced the number of them if that's what you mean.

Ahhh that's gotta be it! Did you play BC2 man? I was a late comer in the Gaf squad, but I played with the guys a lot...I don't remember seeing you! :)

JJD said:
I gotta be frank...I didn't see the MaV spots...I'll be paying more attention next time! Also can you spawn on beacons set by other squads???

Ahhh that's gotta be it! Did you play BC2 man? I was a late comer in the Gaf squad, but I played with the guys a lot...I don't remember seeing you! :)

I got to be frank...
You were never one to pay attention to minimap much anyway. I've known that since a long time ago.>.>
(no offense intended.)

Anyway, I am not doing so well as I use to anyway (besides the w/l). I haven't found a perfect close-range assault recon weapon outside of the pp2000 yet (which is nowhere as good as its bc2 counterpart) and the class earns nowhere as much points as others. Hence, I don't really feel like I have a right to rant as much anymore. Unfortunately, most people are still underrating the class - Farlaghn, evolved, sekoku are the only few who plays it effectively. So I'm most likely sticking to it like I was the dedicated motion sensor guy in bc2>.>

Bruiserk

JJD said:

I played BC2 a lot with Farlanghn and MuseManMike but we never played with any gaffers. Or at least me and Mikey didn't, I think Far knew gazer.

TheSeks said:
Dream, dude, seriously: WTF?

I swim a marathon and stealth insert at the BACK of the first set base for Operation Metro. Literally skimming the out of bounds and stealth takedown a sniper and another dude. Go sit near the rock.

"Surely Dream will spawn as recon and spawn beacon this point to let the cavalry come in and sweep across the base to A."

Support, support, support, support, support.

I'm like "WTF, dude!? You generally spawn recon when I want you to be something else and now all of a sudden you're doing something else when I want you to be a recon!?" *mind boggles*

Also that team was really good, I have to give them props for holding that first set and making us work across the map on their turn to attack but man it was frustrating. I'm sitting there being mown from every direction while trying to set up a defense to where I pretty much had to resort to rocket spam to get them out of places.

B last set is in the open. If people remove most of the cover or cover most of the points there it's really hard for them to get to. It's just a matter of once they get there and arming, we're fucked. :/

I was fucking pissed from the defense round, since all my "recon" tactics was ignored by the team (beacon ignored, t-ugs ignored, mav spots of people in the spawn ignored - with some idiots literally running right pass a spotted enemy.). So for the attack round my emotions got to me and I pretty much didn't want to play the class anymore. I'm glad you were hoping to rely on me (lol), but at that point I was like "I'm sure no one would give a damn if I stopped playing recon.

JJD said:
Seine Crossing has drastically different map boundaries and flag placement. most of the other maps just remove 1 or 2 flags. Damavand Peak moves both home bases closer together and Noshahr Canal moves the Russian base closer. Tehran Highway is the same size, but moves a flag closer to the middle and removes a flag. Basically, on most maps they removed the flag(s) that are the farthest away!

you can check post #801 for the overhead maps

Seine Crossing has drastically different map boundaries and flag placement. most of the other maps just remove 1 or 2 flags. Damavand Peak moves both home bases closer together and Noshahr Canal moves the Russian base closer. Tehran Highway is the same size, but moves a flag closer to the middle and removes a flag. Basically, on most maps they removed the flag(s) that are the farthest away!

you can check post #801 for the overhead maps

Just saw the difference, no wonder that map is so bs.

Dreamgazer said:
Just saw the difference, no wonder that map is so bs.
yeah, the base is literally a stone's throw away from C. plus B, the furthest flag from the russian base, is about the same distance that A and B are from the US base, and those are the closest flags!

TheSeks

Dreamgazer said:
2)

Yeah, I've been playing recon the most since launch after I got the T-ugs, mysteriously no one seems to get that T-ugs other than us so we have a whole squad of people playing recon to LOL SNIPE and I have to force myself to switch classes and lose motion mines--er--motion beacon drop because of it. So annoying.

3)

I saw it and after I unlock it I'm going to play around with it
it apparently has infared?
on the open-air maps from the starting spawn in the back to where people can't take me down while using it. And yeah, the spots are on the mini-map. I feel they should put them on the actual map but that probably would break the game.

One thing I've noticed besides a disturbing lack of CLASS BALANCE is that the spawn system is totally fucked. I CAN NOT SEE ON THE MAP WHERE YOU ARE. The BEACON DOESN'T SHOW WHERE IT IS EITHER AT TIMES. WTF, FIX THIS SHIT DICE.

haven't found a perfect close-range assault recon weapon outside of the pp2000 yet

I never used it in BC2, but the PP-2000 in BF3 is beastin'. I think the major issue it isn't "as good" for you is the stupid stick deadzone/acceleration issue. I've had times with it where I could completely mow someone down and am thrown off when they strafe to the left/right and I follow them with aiming. :|

Xux

Damn, hella people rage quitting the sniper co-op mission tonight. I'd almost consider the co-op missions good if they got rid of that one.

TheSeks

Man you know tanks are scary when you dream you're being chased by one in a Japanese K-car.

Fucking Battlefield 3 and Gran Turismo 5. >_>

Also Dream let me know when you want to do Extraction on Hard. Apparently there's a "stealth with no compromise" trophy/achievement on that level as well but I'm not sure how you're supposed to sneak past all those enemies with no issues.

Edit: Okay, that's easy but there's a bunch of tandem shots. Not easy with no communication options for me. >_>

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Xux said:
Damn, hella people rage quitting the sniper co-op mission tonight. I'd almost consider the co-op missions good if they got rid of that one.

I love that one. Played it a bunch of times w/ some random (who would not shut up lol) at like 4am last night (this morning?).

Really cool mission.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
Man you know tanks are scary when you dream you're being chased by one in a Japanese K-car.

Fucking Battlefield 3 and Gran Turismo 5. >_>

Also Dream let me know when you want to do Extraction on Hard. Apparently there's a "stealth with no compromise" trophy/achievement on that level as well but I'm not sure how you're supposed to sneak past all those enemies with no issues.

Edit: Okay, that's easy but there's a bunch of tandem shots. Not easy with no communication options for me. >_>

You can just always take the shot on the right... and your co-op buddy can just fire on the sound of your shot.

I did an entire sniper mission with tandem shots with a guy pretty much the same way. I'll do it with you (on an easier lvl haha -- that mission is almost impossible at the end)

Also... on that lvl, especially playing on hard, guy in the rear Humvee should plant the C4. Front vehicle has a much better angles for cover fire.

GenericUser

just met a guy who was AWESOME with his helicopter!

i shot 5 times at him with the stinger (or whatever the first AA gun is called). He ALWAYS threw flares! Damn, helicopters seem to be OP ... at least when he uses them. You are basically fucked, AA measures are worthless and as soon as he spots you - you are dead. Holy hot damn! Helicopters never felt so powerful back in BFBC2. And all that on caspian, what a shame.

TheSeks

Evolved1 said:
You can just always take the shot on the right... and your co-op buddy can just fire on the sound of your shot.

I did an entire sniper mission with tandem shots with a guy pretty much the same way. I'll do it with you (on an easier lvl haha -- that mission is almost impossible at the end)

Also... on that lvl, especially playing on hard, guy in the rear Humvee should plant the C4. Front vehicle has a much better angles for cover fire.

We'll do Normal in an hour. I need a nap, I didn't get much sleep at all today. >_>

If Dream isn't around anyway. I still want to knock those out on Hard first before doing the lower difficulties.

JJD said:
Holy shit, I don't remember being owned as hard as that Operation Metro game [...] On the other hand when we were attacking the game turned into a nightmare!
Ya, that traumatized me. They had guys everywhere when we were attacking.
JJD said:

It would be nice if I unlocked the squad perk "English Speaking Skill" sometime, Miniboss couldn't even understand what I was talking! Again my apologies my friend!
Battlelog You're top of the scoreboard there, JJD. I could understand ya :) (I embaressed myself with yelling in the last match I'll talk about...) There's 11 Gaffers in that game -- that a highscore?

Other things I remember:
Battlelog // Shoutout to meppi64 and Dave1988 for an amazing come from behind win at Seine CQ, we got all 4 points w/ ~25 tickets left for both teams and I believe we were trapped in our own spawn zone a few times.

Battlelog // Damavand attacking: MiniBoss gave me a godly spawn inside their building, which I thankfully maximized. Later, drove the APC+turret in and blocked off some MCOMs and got the coveted "drive the APC off the drop," though I was just a passenger. Our teammates were maybe a bit weak... we just didn't blow up the very last MCOM.

Battlelog // Then it was late and I lost my mind at the Canals defense. I'm very sorry you had to hear me on the mic, MiniBoss. I felt bad about it. We almost stopped them at least 3x. It was bad. I died an impressive 32 times for -66 Skill. They kept getting stronger as they pushed in.

Evolved1

sponk said:
just met a guy who was AWESOME with his helicopter!

i shot 5 times at him with the stinger (or whatever the first AA gun is called). He ALWAYS threw flares! Damn, helicopters seem to be OP ... at least when he uses them. You are basically fucked, AA measures are worthless and as soon as he spots you - you are dead. Holy hot damn! Helicopters never felt so powerful back in BFBC2. And all that on caspian, what a shame.

A pilot like this will generally come in close for kills... reg RPG is better than the lock-on shit if he's dumping flares or jamming you.

Well, at least for the little bird pilots.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
We'll do Normal in an hour. I need a nap, I didn't get much sleep at all today. >_>

If Dream isn't around anyway. I still want to knock those out on Hard first before doing the lower difficulties.

The last stealth shot is tricky... two guys and a CCTV. Dream and I couldn't figure it out when we were playing, but I thought of something last night. You can't get an angle on both guys for one shot through their heads, and the other takes out CCTV.

But maybe you can get an angle through one of the guy's heads and into the CCTV. Then other player can drop the other guy.

That's my only idea about it... seems like a tricky scenario.

Speaking of co-op, I've had to drop out of the last dozen or so games with randoms... ugh.

TheSeks

Evolved1 said:
The last stealth shot is tricky... two guys and a CCTV. Dream and I couldn't figure it out when we were playing, but I thought of something last night. You can't get an angle on both guys for one shot through their heads, and the other takes out CCTV.

But maybe you can get an angle through one of the guy's heads and into the CCTV. Then other player can drop the other guy.

That's my only idea about it... seems like a tricky scenario.

Speaking of co-op, I've had to drop out of the last dozen or so games with randoms... ugh.

I'll do that shot, there's one more tandem after that, but it's a LOT easier than that last shot on the stairs apparently.

I still want to do it on Hard. We nearly had it... it's just a matter of avoiding damage between us.

So when you take tags does it do anything to your own tag inventory? If I take something from a guy does it mean I can then wear it if I didn't have it before or something? Or does taking tags just add to the bloody pile of stolen tags?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Genesis Knight said:
So when you take tags does it do anything to your own tag inventory? If I take something from a guy does it mean I can then wear it if I didn't have it before or something? Or does taking tags just add to the bloody pile of stolen tags?

I don't think so.

Also, there is no running list of people you knifed anymore that I can see. Just in your tag collection you can see who you last knifed for a certain tag.

TheSeks

Genesis Knight said:

No. It's just added to the shown collection. It doesn't unlock. Otherwise all someone has to do is nice a DICE player equip that dogtag and have people knife them to equip it... viral.

DukeSucks

Genesis Knight said:

I wouldn't mind if we could wear the ones we took, but maybe have them bloody like the mass effect ones to signify that we took it and didn't unlock it.

I just unlocked the RDS for the scar, it's now my favorite gun that I've used.

Tunavi

Banned
Dug said:
Is it normal to suck at this game?
Yeah its really easy to die a lot, the first day was really frustrating for me. Don't run out into the open without thinking. Make sure you use prone and spot enemies and let your teammates take them out if you need help

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tunavi said:
Yeah its really easy to die a lot, the first day was really frustrating for me. Don't run out into the open without thinking. Make sure you use prone and spot enemies and let your teammates take them out if you need help

The other issue is you have a lot of people exploiting bugs in clipping.

A lot of guys go prone then back all the way into walls so only a little of them is showing.

The good thing is if you see feet sticking out of a wall, shoot them, it will kill them and they can't hit you.

Woorloog

Banned
So far, i've liked all the maps i've tried more or less but Seine Crossing? That thing sucks. Bad. It looks nice and urban combat is nice but it just ain't good...

And a control issue: There are no good jet controls. Ideal controls would be similar to Ace Combat's default ones: Right stick is roll and pitch, left is for free look, bumbers control yaw, triggers are thrust controls, A fires gun, X missiles/rockets etc, Y gadget and B exit.

EDIT oh and the game needs more conquest servers with Caspian, Kharg and Firestorm (in Europe). Every one i try to join is full. I can join other servers... but i want to fly.
And whenever i try to join to those, the game tends to claim my network has issues. Yeah right, i've haven't touched any network settings and other matches work fine. This happens especially when using the server browser, which sucks by the way, it shows a game with 23/24 and i cannot join regardless.

EDIT2, Seine Crossing is really, really, really awful map.
And why can these morons throw health and especially AMMO packs? Engineers need ammo for rocket launchers!

EDIT3 I HATE recons this time around (in BC2 they were annoying but acceptable usually). They don't seem to be doing anything in useful...

Mikasangelos said:
OK so im now getting 0 pop in, amazing looking game and a functional HD pack. If your getting crazy pop in on XBOX do this guys.

Uninstall everything if you already have.
Install HD pack alone and make sure it doesnt reboot the install.
then install the disk.

Enjoy!

Thank you sir!

My HDD should be arriving on my doorstep in a few hours, so you've just saved me some headache.

finally managed to actually take down a chopper and some jets with my jet, IR SMOKE and HEAT SEEKERS attained!!! still don't really "get" dogfighting in jets, but at least i can fly the friendly skies somewhat safely now...

<3 choppers

With winter arriving early here in NYC, it is now a great day to stay in and play.

Hopefully I'll pair up with some of you guys later.

(Going to farm co-op for a few hours now)

finally picked up the game yesterday. thank you dreamgazer for the invite. unfortunately I sucked terribly to help out in any game. :(

trying to get used to the aiming in this game. do I have to lead just a hair to account for the lag? I'm like missing my shots unless they are cqc.

good games with gaf. nice to meet a few I haven't played with: farlangh, calion, easytgt.

question about minimap. the enemy shows up only when they fire or spotted via motion mines and mav?

I applied for the platoon last nite. psn: renderman017

overall the I like the game just frustrated with the mechanics. its the usual new release getting used to period. did you guys leave the brightness during the initial setup at default? I can't see anything after adjusting for the 3 to be barely visible.

Evolved1

duracell017 said:
trying to get used to the aiming in this game. do I have to lead just a hair to account for the lag? I'm like missing my shots unless they are cqc.

Haha... it's not lag. Rounds fired have trajectories and bullet drop. You have to compensate at range.

Top Bottom