• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Sorry... I just think it wasn't what I wanted to say so I'll refrain from it
----

Recons/snipers had a better place in BC2 than they do now.

Assault recon! forget those sniper rifles, unless you use a red dot sight! :D take a shotgun or an SMG, smart use of the sensors and spawn beacon are mighty useful. But i also still miss the sensor grenades from BFBC2.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Assault recon! forget those sniper rifles, unless you use a red dot sight! :D take a shotgun or an SMG, smart use of the sensors and spawn beacon are mighty useful. But i also still miss the sensor grenades from BFBC2.

They need to bring those back T_T

Have recons make a choice between them or grenades

Yeah well when you find a some sniper who plays like me that might make sense... and there's no such thing as a lame win when you're playing against people who are skilled, coordinated, and play together a lot. Why don't we just be fucking honest here and admit that if any win is "lame" it's when we steamroll the shit out of a bunch of randoms.

I was a little bitchy earlier during the day when we were losing but it was mostly because I realized that maybe I'm not really feeling the gaf machine anymore.

It's not about winning -- because sometimes you just cannot, and it's out of your control if your team wants to be retarded. If your team wont cap flags you cannot win. So, it's about the competition... trying to win. You find some fucking recon who tries to win as hard as I do and then maybe you have a point.

That's my problem, no one on gaf is ever going to say "hey hey I don't want to win."
Of course everyone wants to win.

It's not like some random out there is going to say "between winning and losing, I choose losing."

The thing is when we win, we often just think we're great.
When we lose, we just often just think it's the random's fault.
That bothers me, because that means when faced with real tough competition - GAF is all over the place. "it's the freaking chopper", "it's the freaking random.", "it's the people playing recon, etc, etc.

We don't reflect on wins or losses or the consequences of our individual actions

So what are lame wins?
You agreed with me yesterday that people do have "last minute enlightenment".
Not doing the most obvious and wise thing to do till the last moment.
We all do that shit.
Picking a crappier gun to get an assignment staying in choppers cause vehicles make us feel powerful, having a whole squad sitting in one tank trying to cap flags (just happened again on a bazaar game yesterday.) When we win games despite of those things, that to me is a lame win.

When we win by 2 tickets on a "close game", even though we over scored, over killed, over numbered the competition? That is a lame win.

Equally, when lose cause everyone stare at a chopper while 4 guys arm a m-com, or when I focucs too much on my MAV and not help out on the field. THAT is a deserved win.

----------------------

Assuming that Thn is right, that your team made a poor decision on two-flag/three-flag strat or what we discussed yesterday about not crowding, not obsessing over vehicle - then wouldn't you agree that those are some things that could have been improved upon?

Everyone here try hard to win, but we need to discuss, think and constantly improve on our games. Otherwise it's just the same tired shit where we're only good at rolling over shitty randoms. Which yeah, I agree it's lame, but I hope to hone my skills (and gaf) for moments when we do face stiff competition.

Now, I agree we all try hard.

I just ask that we try harder, and be critical of ourselves.

(you can kill me now.)

tn2007

k

Only if I get to pick the team roster.

Just to prove my player combination theory >.>

I see you as a defending type of player who works best with someone agressive like Dawn, Olimpia, and JJD. When I say defending I mean running behind them and laying down suppressive fire or watching other peoples back. Killing people that kill your teammates and reviving them afterwards. Am I right? Or am I way off base? I'm intrigued by your combination theory.

some people just aren't interested in winning. i played a few games the other day with a squad of randoms. for several games, all they did was 1 guy would set up a SOFLAM and the other 2 would shoot javelins. other than the start of the game, they didn't cap any bases. but they were having tons of fun just SOFLAM/JAVELIN comboing the other team, and i was having fun watching them, so mjuch so that i switched to support and dropped them an ammo box. as far as wins and losses went, iirc, we were 50/50 with the other team, and in one closegame, we probably would have won if they helped cap a base near the end, but hey, it's not like i can FORCE them to PTFO.

why give them ammo? better than them wasting a ticket with a suicide.

I see you as a defending type of player who works best with someone agressive like Dawn, Olimpia, and JJD. When I say defending I mean running behind them and laying down suppressive fire or watching other peoples back. Killing people that kill your teammates and reviving them afterwards. Am I right? Or am I way off base? I'm intrigued by your combination theory.

There's two part to my combination theory. When is the agressive/defensive type and how easily someone is influenced by others.

I am a defensive type, but I'm also not very open to influence by others. Meaning even if everyone pushes forward, I would still be hesitant to move a single inch from the objective. Which means I'm somewhat useless in an offensive type environment, and I don't feel comfortable being up front or in a line-pushing vehicle. (ex: I can't spawn camp as well as most of you, and I don't want to stay in a tank even if I'm doing well.) So ever since BC2, I've always been the "stay back and watch stuff person who moan and groan in the mic all day. That and you'll see random moments of me taking on 4-5 guys on my own (you remember that bazaar game.)

Now take you for example, you are a well-rounded type, but I don't enjoy being in a squad with you and an extremely aggressive type player. Cause you are more strongly influenced by others, and aggressive players either reinforce or leads you to skew toward the aggressive side. Reversely, when I start dominating in games, I can trust you to watch my back since you'll start playing more D. If you play with Dawn, Olimpia - who are well rounded -rigid type, then I think you do well.

My dream squad would be 1 D, 1 well-rounded (rigid minded), 1 well rounded (influential) and 1 strong aggressive player.

I think anyone can be fine with Dawn, and Olimpia. JJD depends who we get paired with. JJD + Dan + me for example is not a favorable combination in my mind.

olimpia84

You do that to me from time to time. >.>
Remember the PYR game?

In that game my original team had ALL the flags and we were base raping the other team so we switched to the losing team and ended up capping all the flags easily again and winning by a landslide. It would have not mattered anyways since those PYR members were pretty much goofing off the entire round anyways and nobody was really playing seriously other than you, my friend and I.

OG Kush

Whats people's best conqeust maps for consoles? I'm not talking bout shit like Caspian and Oman, that shit dont work on 24 player consoles.

Rebel Leader

Whats people's best conqeust maps for consoles? I'm not talking bout shit like Caspian and Oman, that shit dont work on 24 player consoles.

Battlefield 1943's Wake Island

FUCK YOU DICE!
---
OP metro
Seine(?) crossing
Damavand peak

JJD

Man I love PS3 Gaf! You guys are amazing! :-D

Obviously anyone can improve their game and perform better constantly. There's people who joined PS3 Gaf when BF3 released and are now a completely different type of player than they were in the beginning. I changed a lot since I joined on BC2.

So, improving individually aside (how much better can guys like Olimpia or Dawn still get???), I think the only way we could really improve as a team was if we started acting more like a regular, serious clan, enforcing roles and tactics...and I'm happy we're not like that.

I play to win sure, but first and foremost I play to have fun. The moment I'm not having fun anymore doesn't matter if I'm winning or losing I'll quit the game.

Man I love PS3 Gaf! You guys are amazing! :-D

Obviously anyone can improve their game and perform better constantly. There's people who joined PS3 Gaf when BF3 released and are now a completely different type of player than they were in the beginning. I changed a lot since I joined on BC2.

So, improving individually aside (how much better can guys like Olimpia or Dawn still get???), I think the only way we could really improve as a team was if we started acting more like a regular, serious clan, enforcing roles and tactics...and I'm happy we're not like that.

I play to win sure, but first and foremost I play to have fun. The moment I'm not having fun anymore doesn't matter if I'm winning or losing I'll quit the game.

nah all we need to do is to analyze our games.

No rules, no restrictions.
Same in bc2, know who works with what, when to help out when not to, when to stop doing stupid stuff.
(let's talk about that chopper yesterday. It was not annoying :p)

In a large part, the broken VOIP and battlelog stuff kinda ruined that.

"Played Armored Kill Three Times at E3. Lots of Details"

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield3/comments/ur1s9/played_armored_kill_three_times_at_e3_lots_of/

I got the opportunity to play Armored Kill 3 times this week. I had a really great last session today around 3:00pm with one of the developers answering my questions through out the complete demo and asking me for feed back. I really wish I'd gotten his name but if he is here, you were awesome.

Feel free to throw questions at me but here are some I threw at the developers.

Artillery (US HIMARS)

Will be two seat vehicle that only allows one occupant. This is to avoid other players from hoping in and driving it out of the position you placed it in.

All of the artillery fire mechanics are controlled by 1 person. You will aim and fire your rockets while watching your mini map. The mini map will display a series of shock wave icons that indicate where your artillery barrage has struck.

Firing speed was fairly fast to me. By the time my rockets had reached their target, I was only 2 seconds away from firing again.

You can fire 1 Rocket at a time or all 6-8 if you wish.

Firing range was a little less then half Bandar Desert (maybe closer to 1/3)

Artillery spawns at a base (Not the artillery base though) that can be captured and may work similar to Sharqi Peninsula TV station spawn. (Meaning if you hold that position you deny artillery tanks from spawning there)

Both teams get Artillery on Bandar Desert

Artillery was extremely weak in battle. Got destroyed by 1/3 a Z-11s machine gun payload. Travel near AA if possible or park next to a light post ;)

Artillery has Perks that can be applied (Can only confirm I unlocked smoke)

AC-130

The AC-130 is a 2 Seat Vehicle + Mobile Paradrop Spawn.

Contains a 125mm canon that unleashes Giant Explosions.

The second seat primary purpose is to be AA for the AC-130. It's firing field is designed to cover it from fighter jets.

AC-130 can be shot down.

The AC-130 is tied to the furthest spawn point from both primary spawn points. This point can be captured and deny US from having it spawn back if shot down. This is again similar to Sharqi Peninsula TV station spawn.

You can Paradrop from the AC-130. Once it's full it will give you the option to spawn from its position. You won't spawn in the vehicle however. You spawn outside already parachuting into the battle based on where the AC-130 location was when you choose to spawn. This is similar to the Recon's spawn beacon.

Both gunners can deploy flares. I believe it works similar to a 2 man team in an attack chopper. No ECM.

AC-130 has NO perks that the user can equip.

Heavy IFVs

5-6 Seats.

Packs more of a punch then a Heavy tank round.

Fire Speed slightly slower then a Heavy Tank.

Light on Armor (3 tank rounds will take out a IFV)

Can have Perks

Bandar Desert

It's the biggest Battlefield Map ever created.

Both teams spawn on land

The map's spawns run left to right in a concave path.

4 Spawns offer significant tactical advantages (AC-130, 2x Artillery, Lots of Extra Armor)

No transport Choppers (I suggested adding a Black Hawk or Sea Knight ;) I just wanted more mobile spawn points)

Air Vehicles on the map: 1 Viper, 1 Little Bird, 2 F-18s (or RU equivalent) + AC-130

Good amount of reused assets (Think Gulf of Oman) but with a gorgeous sky box.

ATV

The ATV is a 2 seat vehicle.

Passenger can face forward (previously in BFBC2 you could only face backwards... and it sucked)

There only appears to be 1 ATV model. No RU or US specific version.

It has a horn

Weapons and Gadgets

They were pretty silent and said they weren't talking about these right now.

Dinosaurs

Didn't see any but I didn't have time to check the small patches of long grass on the map.

Misc

Dice Friends Dog Tag No one knew how to get it and was confused by the question. Assuming I meant how do I get DICE dog tags but until I clarified this was a new user called Dice Friend.

New Game mode called tank superiority mode was briefly talked about

JJD

My Jack of all trades tag is glitched, you think this is a mothafucking game, Dice? I payed for that shit, not CQ.

My Act of Valor tags are glitched too. I'm running with the Metal one, but all of then are greyed, unavailable. If I pick another tag like the premium ones I won't be able to go back to my old favorite... :-(

JJD

Only because I rarely use the guided missle

I'm just fucking with you man! ;-)

Hopefully I'll play a bit after the UFC finishes.

And I see PS3 Gaf is in full Civil War mode! Almost every single game I checked there was at least 1 or 2 gaffers in each team!

WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON???

-Silver-

I think we should do a private server and do a straight pure GAF vs GAF match

This needs to happen.

1) Boa
2) Codmaul
3) Dawn
4) Dave
5) Dan
6) Dreams
7) Evolved
8) Faceless
9) Hunting-Beast
10) JJD
11) MinhtFresh
12) Noisepurge
13) Olimpia
14) Patriot
15) Rockscar
16) Thn
17) Vasilisk
18) WayPoetic

These are the people that I usually see that play quite often, some more then others, so even if 12-14 of us make it, out of this lot, that would still be a decent sized GAF vs GAF match.

paskowitz

This needs to happen.

1) Boa
2) Codmaul
3) Dawn
4) Dave
5) Dan
6) Dreams
7) Evolved
8) Faceless
9) Hunting-Beast
10) JJD
11) MinhtFresh
12) Noisepurge
13) Olimpia
14) Patriot
15) Rockscar
16) Thn
17) Vasilisk
18) WayPoetic

These are the people that I usually see that play quite often, some more then others, so even if 12-14 of us make it, out of this lot, that would still be a decent sized GAF vs GAF match.

I am down. Trick is finding a time where we are all available.

OG Kush

Anyone know if much lag when playing on servers in other locals? I only play Europe, where I get full 5 bars. When I search East US I get 4 full bars, and west US is 3 full bars. Would I notice lag on 4 bars?

Rebel Leader

Anyone know if much lag when playing on servers in other locals? I only play Europe, where I get full 5 bars. When I search East US I get 4 full bars, and west US is 3 full bars. Would I notice lag on 4 bars?

I barely notice any lag from 4 bars... even on Asia/Japan servers... it could be because of my ISP

JJD

I play mainly on 3 or 4 bars since I'm from SA and there are no servers here.

I guess you wouldn't notice much lag, I usually don't, but every now and then you'll lose a fight you could have swear you should have won.

I wish there were BF servers on South America and I wonder if it would make a difference on my games...

tn2007

When I play on European servers I feel like I'm shooting a water pistol at sponges. But I'm pretty sure they feel the same when they have people from the US play on their servers.

Minion101

Banned
After a few patches to the game. The IR scope is pretty worthless. What are the guns to use now. For assault I'm still using the m416. Scar for Engy and m240b for support.

JJD

Guys there's been some talk that Dice buffed aim assist a LOT in the last patch, specificaly on consoles and I'm inclined to believe this.

Yesterday I was playing some late night games with Olimpia and Dreamgazer on Metro, and I was running recon with the L96 to get that assignment and my aim "locked" at a guy and "followed" him by itself for a short moment while I wasn't moving the analog at all. I was actually trying to shoot the guy right next to him.

I thought that was really odd and even mentioned in the headset. It was the only time something like that happened but it was easily noticeable.

Anyone experienced something like that?

If it's indeed true I hope Dice fix that shit. I don't like aim assist and I don't play with it. It messes hitting fast moving targets, you can't lead your shots.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Aim Assist has been Call of Duty levels bad before this patch, I wouldn't be surprised if they did buff it slightly.

@Faceless: Why wouldn't it be that way? It's the Engineer assignment for an all-class-kit gun type, yeah, but it makes sense from an "unlock" standpoint.

Also theoryfighter is hilarious.

yep, it counts if you EOD BOT repairdestroy a vehicle with an enemy inside

Wait, as in an actual kill from unrepairing them or just vehicle destroy and they bailed?

JJD

Aim Assist has been Call of Duty levels bad before this patch, I wouldn't be surprised if they did buff it slightly.

How bad was it before the patch? As I said I play with it turned off, I experimented a bit when the game released and decided to turn it off.

When I experienced the aim assist yesterday I searched a little and there's a huge thread on battlelog about it. I looked at my options and it was on. It must be on by default since I deleted all my BF3 data when the new maps weren't working and downloaded everything again (to no avail).

I'm pretty sure you have to destroy a vehicle with someone inside for it to count.

Props to Faceless for doing it legit, I would never get it. The damn EOD bot feels like it's rolling on clouds, so floaty. I tried for 4 games and all I managed to was getting it stuck everywhere, including clipping on the ground. And why the hell the "fire" button on the EOD is on the aim button on the infantry?

olimpia84

Sorry for all that yelling dream but I'm sick of being paired with useless people. The only reason we won that round is because that one colonel level 100 joined us, otherwise we were toasted.

And on the game before that (Bazaar) the guy on my squad got mad because I asked for help capping the flags. He was like 'lol look at your KDR and how much you're dying you suck, my KDR is 1.4 and that's all I care'...the guy was being serious too. Then he wanted to set up a GAF vs his clan game because he got so upset after we began discussing on how to win a Conquest round. He claimed that the key to winning conquest is not capping the flag but protecting your KDR and let the other team run around capping flags....lol yeah I'm not even kidding. What a stupid jerk, he definitely comes from playing COD.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/49290355/4/188837097/

HAHAHAHAHAHA
300 ticket comeback.
Useless teammates after another.

On other thought: I honestly don't know how I can score that high with that little kills

Sorry for all that yelling dream but I'm sick of being paired with useless people. The only reason we won that round is because that one colonel level 100 joined us, otherwise we were toasted.

And on the game before that (Bazaar) the guy on my squad got mad because I asked for help capping the flags. He was like 'lol look at your KDR and how much you're dying you suck, my KDR is 1.4 and that's all I care'...the guy was being serious too. Then he wanted to set up a GAF vs his clan game because he got so upset after we began discussing on how to win a Conquest round. He claimed that the key to winning conquest is not capping the flag but protecting your KDR and let the other team run around capping flags....lol yeah I'm not even kidding. What a stupid jerk, he definitely comes from playing COD.

Hey we were both yelling.
It was useless squadmates after another with teammates who wouldn't move.
Tank won't move from base, people won't move from flags.

I was ready to strangle somebody when gena changed into a useless sniper.
Ristoften was just camping in the floors of C trying to smoke people.

Although to give him credit, he did step up when I asked him to.
(god I feel corny as hell saying "Ristoften, I need you to step it up man"

I can't believe I said that shit orz...

so corny...

I was also glad I pulled the MAV up.
I was worried that I was a bit useless, but trapping them in their spawn helped us get out ticket evened out.

It was a risky decision on my part..

Top Bottom