• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

meppi

I like the setting of all the new maps, I just can't understand Dice reasoning for making then so small. They could still provide the gameplay they were aiming while being just a little bigger.

Just by allowing other modes besides deathmatch variations would make the maps infinitely more valuable IMO.

I don't have a problem with the size of the maps, but I do feel like they missed a huge oppertunity to evolve the game a bit past the classic modes.
CQD is just a butchered CQ mode, which quite honestly works rather well.
Although I'm not sure how long it'll be able to hold my attention.

What I feel would have been much better is dynamic objectives that flow from one mission into the next like warzone in Killzone does.
Such a setup would go a long way to make a hectic game like this expansion interesting for a long time. Yet, it seems Dice doesn't have a clue what to do with the expansion they created. Such a missed opportunity.

-Silver-

All pilots i see use heatseekers. As for what they do when the enemy has nothing in air: Nothing.

Then you probably have not come across really good ones that don't need Heat seekers. Heat seekers are worthless once you know how to dogfight really well, and the longer BF3 is out the higher the chance for you to meet a great pilot.

MrBig

All pilots i see use heatseekers. As for what they do when the enemy has nothing in air: Nothing. They just fly and camp the enemy aircraft.
I never see anyone using the guided missile (not really surprising as it is nigh impossible to fly with the stupid view) and as for the rocket pods... well, in Rush (but i don't play that really). Don't see anyone using them with jets. I would, but i'm not good at using the cannon against aircraft so i really don't do anything with jets (use them occasionally against helis if i see them... and that's if i don't take the AA launcher).

I think I've been killed by the heat-seakers of another jet maybe twice in all the time I've played BF3, and that was only when I first started, when jets didn't have flares unlocked by default. Anyone who has tries to use them is wasting their time. I can control the air by myself using only the main cannon in most games, and as soon as I take out jets I go for enemy helicopters and then I go for tanks with rockets, of which I have killed many. Don't bullshit about them being useless, I usually got 10+ ground kills on 360, 20+ pretty often. There may be some pilots that have no idea what they're doing but that is not at all the jet itself's fault.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Quick question since I haven't been able to find a good answer, does the patch help the input lag on PS3 enough so that having AA on is viable again?

Woorloog

Banned
I think I've been killed by the heat-seakers of another jet maybe twice in all the time I've played BF3, and that was only when I first started, when jets didn't have flares unlocked by default. Anyone who has tries to use them is wasting their time. I can control the air by myself using only the main cannon in most games, and as soon as I take out jets I go for enemy helicopters and then I go for tanks with rockets, of which I have killed many. Don't bullshit about them being useless, I usually got 10+ ground kills on 360, 20+ pretty often. There may be some pilots that have no idea what they're doing but that is not at all the jet itself's fault.

I didn't dismiss rockets as useless, i just noted that no one uses them. As i said, all i see is people using heatseekers.
I'd use rockets if i could fly without anyone bothering me. I'm not good at dogfights with cannon and i'm not good at dodging missiles even with flares (don't have ECM). So i try not to fly in the first place, because using heatseekers would make me otherwise nigh useless in the match.

Overdoziz

Banned
I feel like Jets respawn way too fast for someone to actually do some damage to people on the ground. They respawn in what, 30 seconds? By the time you've got both enemy jets down (and possibly a chopper) a new one has already respawned.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Quick question since I haven't been able to find a good answer, does the patch help the input lag on PS3 enough so that having AA on is viable again?

I'm still playing with it off... but it's improved either way. But imo it's still better with it off.

Woorloog

Banned
I feel like Jets respawn way too fast for someone to actually do some damage to people on the ground. They respawn in what, 30 seconds? By the time you've got both enemy jets down (and possibly a chopper) a new one has already respawned.

Yeah, that's a big issue. My friend pointed out this to me after i said i'd like the jet amount to be cut by half (1 jet per side).
Also a lot easier done than removing a couple jets from each map.

EDIT also, today i noticed that there's a jet under the Russian base in Damavand Peak Conquest. Yes. Under the base.

I didn't dismiss rockets as useless, i just noted that no one uses them. As i said, all i see is people using heatseekers.
I'd use rockets if i could fly without anyone bothering me. I'm not good at dogfights with cannon and i'm not good at dodging missiles even with flares (don't have ECM). So i try not to fly in the first place, because using heatseekers would make me otherwise nigh useless in the match.

i always use rocket pods.

45 seconds

JJD

I think you can turn the AA on and the input lag will be minimal, certainly smaller than it was pre patch.

Do you really see a difference in the graphics with AA on? I game on a 64 inch plasma and I hardly could say something changed. Am I blind?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I think you can turn the AA on and the input lag will be minimal, certainly smaller than it was pre patch.

Do you really see a difference in the graphics with AA on? I game on a 64 inch plasma and I hardly could say something changed. Am I blind?

it's only very small changes

AA definitely feels like it adds a little more input delay, but it's MUCH better than before. as far as the visual difference... it's pretty clear when i just watch, but i don't notice much when i'm playing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jets can't even do anything useful... i mean, all they do is to spend time fighting each other. Theoretically, a good pilot could keep skies clear alone, letting the other jet work as close air support. Of course, should this situation happen, the other team would quit rather quickly...

ITT: Newbie admits to being a newbie.

I've seen jets completely DOMINATE the airspace AND ground in rush matches to where enemy (see: MY team)'s armor is destroyed in seconds with a good strafe run of rockets (if running them) with quick machine gun fire, or disabled far enough to be destroyed in two seconds.

Those pilots are out there, they're rare, but they can completely show why jets are broken.

Yeah.
Once again I find it hilarious that I'm the one who doesn't care about jet overpower/underpower/spawn time blah blah.

Most jets pilots do not pose that much of a risk outside of rush. Even then, the only truly risky one is Kharg - where vehicle movement is essential for the first and 2nd base. I mean seriously, until there is a good enough pilot that shuts down infantry also, they're not that big of a deal. They're at worst just "annoying", which most people will just have to deal with it/let the experts take care of it. Jet keep destroying your vehicle? Time to go on foot and hope the infantry isn't as good (and if their infantry is good, then the jet poses a problem.)

I don't even understand how people can consider them objective threats in conquest. If anything, strafing choppers is more of an objective threat. There isn't a jet featured conquest map that you can't dominate with competent infantry alone. (If you feel like disagreeing with me, we can always have an all ground troop vs. everyone in air vehicle capsin/kharg game.)

Of course, that's all assuming your team isn't wasting all of its energy trying to kill the jet than cap flags.

I'm not a noob in this game. I just never see really good jet pilots who actually give support to ground forces. Which is why i said theoretically.

You're asking too much out of jet pilots. Unless they're hovering, most can only do runs (due to speed) or spawn camp vehicles (timed respawn are easier to deal with.) For a jet pilot, it's better that they just focus on priority targets.
The same go with jets and objectives, it's very luck based since they keep up a consistent level of attack.

TheSeks

Yeah.
Once again I find it hilarious that I'm the one who doesn't care about jet overpower/underpower/spawn time blah blah.

Most jets pilots do not pose that much of a risk outside of rush. Even then, the only truly risky one is Kharg - where vehicle movement is essential for the first and 2nd base. I mean seriously, until there is a good enough pilot that shuts down infantry also, they're not that big of a deal. Jet keep destroying your vehicle? Time to go on foot and hope the infantry isn't as good.

I don't even understand how people can consider them objective threats in conquest. If anything, strafing choppers is more of an objective threat. There isn't a jet featured conquest map that you can't dominate with infantry alone.

Of course, that's all assuming your team isn't wasting all of its energy trying to kill the jet than cap flags.

You didn't play Caspian with Faceless or me around launch then. Caspian Border Rush with vehicles shut down and two jets mowing infantry that are spotting by the defense = fucking impossible trek to arm if you can even GET there.

Jets are crazy good. Just because most people (including myself) suck at them doesn't mean they aren't broken.

Ocho

In one match, a jet killed me three times with his machine guns, while I was on the ground, running. Three. I'm not even counting when he got me in a tank. Those players exist, and be afraid when they do.

You didn't play Caspian with Faceless or me around launch then. Caspian Border Rush with vehicles shut down and two jets mowing infantry that are spotting by the defense = fucking impossible trek to arm if you can even GET there.

Jets are crazy good. Just because most people (including myself) suck at them doesn't mean they aren't broken.

We'll have to be in that situation to see if it's possible.
I'm not really convinced for now. The last time I dealt with a really good jet pilot on capsin, I just ran infantry and sneaked from the right side hills. I think Olimpia was with me on that game, and we just stealth armed from B -> A. There's still enough cover on capsin to make it doable, unlike kharg. Maybe a good MAV user + jet user on capsin 1D, but you're assuming there is such combo outside of gaf >.>)

The only time I find jets to be annoying is capsin 2D (you were there in that one game.), since the m-coms are lined up like a straight line, it becomes dirt easy for good jet pilots to do a multi kill run.
The infantry were also good on that game. Thank god the team was focused on the objective.

olimpia84

Man, getting those 50 kills with the L96 was a huge pain in the ass. It's either a headshot or nothing pretty much. Glad I'm done with it. The only requirement to complete all the assignments that I have left is finishing top 5 in Gun Master mode which shouldn't be a big problem; just a matter of trying over and over I guess.

Man, getting those 50 kills with the L96 was a huge pain in the ass. It's either a headshot or nothing pretty much. Glad I'm done with it. The only requirement to complete all the assignments that I have left is finishing top 5 in Gun Master mode which shouldn't be a big problem; just a matter of trying over and over I guess.

Just join a small game on the server browser (2/8, 2/16, etc.)
There are plenty of those around.

Got 5 kills and 4 headshots on the L96 today. D-peak seem to be my best option.
Tried to run with it on metro....lol...let's say it did not turn out well.

I never see anyone using the guided missile (not really surprising as it is nigh impossible to fly with the stupid view) and as for the rocket pods...

i use rocketpods and try to ignore enemy jets, hammer the ground units for a minute, jump out, crash the plane on top of someone, cap a flag! :D

and yeah, really good pilots are hard to come by.

OG Kush

hardcore TDM for that shit! 1 hit kill!

TheSeks

L96 isn't that bad. I kinda prefer it over the other bolt actions. But it isn't no My BFF GOL Sniper Magnum. :(

Bolt Actions are nerfed hard and the maps really don't play to their strengths. It's really the issue with the rifles and why I find sniping so unsatisfying in comparison to BC2.
Besides the fucking sway they added to be like Call of Duty. FUCK YOU DICE.
There's really no range for it and on the maps that does have it you have to calculate twenty damn different things before you can take your shot only for the sway to return right after you calculate the distance and drop thereby screwing your aim up AGAIN to readjust. Oy.

We'll have to be in that situation to see if it's possible.
I'm not really convinced for now. The last time I dealt with a really good jet pilot on capsin, I just ran infantry and sneaked from the right side hills. I think Olimpia was with me on that game, and we just stealth armed from B -> A. There's still enough cover on capsin to make it doable, unlike kharg. Maybe a good MAV user + jet user on capsin 1D, but you're assuming there is such combo outside of gaf >.>)

The only time I find jets to be annoying is capsin 2D (you were there in that one game.), since the m-coms are lined up like a straight line, it becomes dirt easy for good jet pilots to do a multi kill run.
The infantry were also good on that game. Thank god the team was focused on the objective.

Right. If you have cover you can ignore them. And (thankfully) BF3 has indestructible cover in areas to allow you to have some breathing room. But people going "Oh jets are useless" hasn't been against a pilot worth their salt. They aren't as broken as BF2's (where a pilot only had to hover and then quick switch to gunner to wreck havoc to quickly switch back to pilot to zoom away), but they're just as bad if a good aim-bead and ability to do "strafe runs" on armor and infantry that your team marks. I don't have that skill, so I obviously can't show you that but they are out there on consoles. However "rare," they are.

----
i've played a few times with no sound on and i really, honestly gotta say that you are amazing.

also, yesterday, i played on servers that had rules like "no YOLO or GOML clan tags", which made me laugh.

Your level is hard... especially now that there are so many weapon-lock audio cues... wasn't quite as bad in BC2 when the sound cut out, but it's brutal in BF3.

I was always amazed how you can play like that. I would never be on your level if I couldn't hear.

I'm not sure if you guys are trollin' or not. But it's simply playing enough Quake 3 Arena and singleplayer shooters Doom released for DOS that did that. It's the same as people going "oh, you can play Music games?" Yeah, it's simply hand-eye coordination. What pisses me off more is that I can be like "DICE needs to have a bit more visual indicators for some of us that are disabled" and reddit/dumbasses are like "DERP BUT YOU MISS OUT SO MUCH WITHOUT AUDIO!"

Well, yeah, but you adjust eventually and then you start to see the "flow" of maps and know what people are going to do. Like, for instance that Tehran Rush close-game against Faceless, and a few others with JJD and... Kuri IIRC. Faceless kills me and in the kill cam is hoofing it toward our "base"/attackers vehicle spawn. So, what is the logical conclusion there?

The bastard is going to steal our tank! (Looks at mini-map
that DICE no longer has proper heads-up display nor transparency to "see" people sneaking up on that person like BC2. SMH.
) And no one is in the base/spawning on it! SHIT! *spawn at Base and attempt to take Faceless out 2-4 times and finally do.[/i]

Matter of intuition and all that.

Woorloog

Banned
You're asking too much out of jet pilots. Unless they're hovering, most can only do runs (due to speed) or spawn camp vehicles (timed respawn are easier to deal with.) For a jet pilot, it's better that they just focus on priority targets.
The same go with jets and objectives, it's very luck based since they keep up a consistent level of attack.

Too much? I'm asking them to kill helis and use rockets and maybe guided missiles to damage, if not take out, vehicles. What they do is to kill each other, all the time. What is the point of them, if all they do is to practically remove up to 4 players from the actual battle?
With just 24 players on consoles, 4 players doing practically nothing is a huge thing. On PC, if 64 player server, it is nothing (damn i miss BF42 and every plane having bombs).

Too much? I'm asking them to kill helis and use rockets and maybe guided missiles to damage, if not take out, vehicles. What they do is to kill each other, all the time. What is the point of them, if all they do is to practically remove up to 4 players from the actual battle?
With just 24 players on consoles, 4 players doing practically nothing is a huge thing. On PC, if 64 player server, it is nothing (damn i miss BF42 and every plane having bombs).

In your original post, you said "I just never see really good jet pilots who actually give support to ground forces"

That to me means, you expect jets to provide actual support to the ground troops. Which for a good jet pilot encompass the timely bombardment of objectives, pin point attacks of requested areas/ground choke points etc. For example, to fire rockets down at B when they see it's being captured, to fly back in and fire on an armed m-com to allow for easier disarming, or attack a group of rooftop infantries based on ground/squad request (as oppose to some non-important vehicle target).

That is what I interpreted and define a "good jet pilot that gives support to ground forces."

Based on that - I responded that you are asking too much of most pilots.
(but apparently I'm the one asking too much?)

-----------------------------------------------------------

ANYWAY, obviously you don't mean what I originally interpreted you to mean.
When you say "give support to ground forces" you just mean "take out other vehicles."
(which to me still have nothing to do with ground supports, cause 1) I've seen jets and choppers waste time doing battle with one another 2) Vehicles are rarely a real concern in my world.)

In that case, then fine. You can argue that most random pilots are a waste.
However, I would then have to agree with most of the other posters - you probably haven't played against much good pilots yet.

Most above average pilots will spend their time destroying vehicles and do nothing but that.
While they're certainly not "common", there are more than enough above-average pilots out there who can do this easily.

All this vehicle defending is making me uncomfortable.

Right. If you have cover you can ignore them. And (thankfully) BF3 has indestructible cover in areas to allow you to have some breathing room. But people going "Oh jets are useless" hasn't been against a pilot worth their salt. They aren't as broken as BF2's (where a pilot only had to hover and then quick switch to gunner to wreck havoc to quickly switch back to pilot to zoom away), but they're just as bad if a good aim-bead and ability to do "strafe runs" on armor and infantry that your team marks. I don't have that skill, so I obviously can't show you that but they are out there on consoles. However "rare," they are.

My stance has always been the same.
Vehicles are only a threat/use when they actually matter to the objective.
(and remember, I still don't consider BC2's strafing chopper that big of a deal, cause they didn't make defending impossible.)

While I certainly can't agree to the extreme that "jets are useless." - I also don't want to fall to the popular stance that "if we don't fly/take down that ________(vehicle), we're doomed. The jet is too good, let's not move an inch till we take that thing out"
Cause that's encouraging screwed up priorities and "give up" mentalities....like all the examples I gave here

-Silver-

Too much? I'm asking them to kill helis and use rockets and maybe guided missiles to damage, if not take out, vehicles. What they do is to kill each other, all the time.

You're asking for too much. You're asking them to do what a good pilot can do without wanting them to have that chance to become good. It's quite hard and annoying to shoot what's on the ground when you have other Jets trying to shoot you down, they can only do that when peacefully when there are no other Jets.

As for them not contributing to their team, what do you think would happen if your team had no Jets up? The enemy Jets would start shooting what's on the ground, yes most of them can't do any more then 20-25 damage, but the longer you let them do that the more accurate they become.

Overdoziz

Banned
I really wish they took away sniper sway and added bombs for planes.
I hate having to hold my breath for sniping at long range. And using the bipod isn't exactly the most consistent experience out there. Went back to BC2 a while ago and the sniping in that game is so much better and fun.

Evolved1

I feel you bro... I hate the jets.

Part of the reason I hate them so goddamn much is that every now and then you get one of those ace pilots who seriously controls a game. It's rare, but those guys are out there. They're like the BC2 UAV. I hate anything that can OHK a tank. At least with the UAV you used to get a warning. But a good jet pilot will take you out without any warning. And they always fucking spawn camp... they can fly right over the spawn and destroy vehicles when everyone else isn't allowed to enter.

Their worst offense though is that they take people off the ground. Too many people are in the air and the maps feel empty as hell. On consoles, jets should be a server option.

But DICE is retarded as shit... as usual. Screwing up the basic, common sense mechanics.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
There have been times where people just stop getting in tanks because they can barely get out of the spawn. Fun to do, but the hate mail is ugly.

Evolved1

Then you have the shit ass AA gun that doesn't do anything to planes, and you can't even see your fucking crosshair 90% of the time due to sun glare...

That gun should tear down an enemy jet in 2 seconds... and punish them for the spawn bullshit. But it's a weak P.O.S. that pilots laugh at. And it costs the infantryman a lot to use it: you're stuck on the carrier away from the action, and have to take a vehicle all the way back to land... if there even is a vehicle! Meanwhile pilots have their fun with little challenge.

And jets are the most unbalanced combat in the game... because low lvl's have nothing to compete with. They don't have air radar, so ace pilots have no threat... they just pick off the low lvl's who have no idea where they are.

It's such bullshit... makes me aggravated even thinking about it.

Rebel Leader

I do believe the stationary AA needs to be beefed up alot.. It does little to nothing

I know they can't be destroyed like VADS but for the love of bases beef them up

better yet... make them like VADS that'll teach the aerial spawn campers

Woorloog

Banned
As for them not contributing to their team, what do you think would happen if your team had no Jets up? The enemy Jets would start shooting what's on the ground, yes most of them can't do any more then 20-25 damage, but the longer you let them do that the more accurate they become.

Common situation. Nothing happens. My team's jets respawn and they're either taken or destroyed right away. But it does not inhibit ground forces.
I've been in games where the enemy has air space superiority but we end up winning anyway. And other way around, our team has air superiority but the enemy wins on the ground.
So, where are those good pilots? Not just good-at-dogfighting pilots but those who harrass ground forces?
I guess i'm just very, very unlucky when it comes to other players?

Common situation. Nothing happens. My team's jets respawn and they're either taken or destroyed right away. But it does not inhibit ground forces.
I've been in games where the enemy has air space superiority but we end up winning anyway. And other way around, our team has air superiority but the enemy wins on the ground.
So, where are those good pilots? Not just good-at-dogfighting pilots but those who harrass ground forces?
I guess i'm just very, very unlucky when it comes to other players?

I guess you are very unlucky, cause they do exist.
If anything, there's a whole bunch of them here in GAF.

As for winning/losing in with vehicle superiority, see this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38785559&postcount=8381

Even the best pilots in the world can lose you games.
However, that doesn't mean the pilots are ineffective, it simply means their priorities are f-ing screwed up (stay alive in vehicle > objective *sigh*).
I can have a whole squad of tank/chopper killing air vehicles, that honestly still doesn't mean shit if all flags are being capped. Heck, I can have a whole team of tank drivers, and GAF has still manage to lose on that.

Like Sekoku said, you have to read the flow of the game and decide on the best course of action. Vehicles are merely a tool, sometimes they need to be used, sometimes they don't. As much as I love infantry, it would be crazy for me to say "alright everyone, don't get into a jet."

Obviously, people shouldn't obsess over jets (most do), but you can't write jets out completely either.

Rebel Leader

Cody ‏@GAF_RebelLeader

@Battlefield Please beef up those AA guns at bases they do little to nothing.
----
Battlefield ‏@Battlefield

@gaf_rebelleader It will be noted. ^SA

yay?

Kak.efes

Then you have the shit ass AA gun that doesn't do anything to planes, and you can't even see your fucking crosshair 90% of the time due to sun glare...

That gun should tear down an enemy jet in 2 seconds... and punish them for the spawn bullshit. But it's a weak P.O.S. that pilots laugh at. And it costs the infantryman a lot to use it: you're stuck on the carrier away from the action, and have to take a vehicle all the way back to land... if there even is a vehicle! Meanwhile pilots have their fun with little challenge.

And jets are the most unbalanced combat in the game... because low lvl's have nothing to compete with. They don't have air radar, so ace pilots have no threat... they just pick off the low lvl's who have no idea where they are.

It's such bullshit... makes me aggravated even thinking about it.

Agreed, I've dealt with some really talented jet pilots on Kharg rush (I think thats' where they tend to hang out, as there's minimal resistance on offence). I've been spawn camped, but on more than a few occasions if I get the drop on them, I'll return the favour. I love the dissonance in their hate mail, they're somehow justified in spawn camping, yet when they're spawn camped, it's unfair, and I'm a chicken shit.

Top Bottom