• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Woorloog

Banned
PDW-R is a piece of shit. It is useless at short range (all other PDWs seem to be better choices for that) and at mid range, class weapon or even other PDWs are better.
Don't see the point of this weapon.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PDW-R is a piece of shit. It is useless at short range (all other PDWs seem to be better choices for that) and at mid range, class weapon or even other PDWs are better.
Don't see the point of this weapon.

ITT: N00bs continue to be n00bs and hate what they can't kick ass with.

You want "piece of shit?" PKP pre-nerf was a piece of shit with it's only claim to fame being the high damage rage. Not a piece of shit? The PDW-R. It's on level with the P90 in mobility. Issue is it's small clip size but you adjust to that and then become godly.

Woorloog

Banned
ITT: N00bs continue to be n00bs and hate what they can't kick ass with.

You want "piece of shit?" PKP pre-nerf was a piece of shit with it's only claim to fame being the high damage rage. Not a piece of shit? The PDW-R. It's on level with the P90 in mobility. Issue is it's small clip size but you adjust to that and then become godly.

Considering my standard PDW is the MP7 (RDS, laser sight and suppressor) which is useful up to mid range and incredibly mobile weapon, the PDW-R feels very, very weak, without any advantages over the MP7.
Also, the P90 has considerably larger magazine, and it is way better weapon overall than the PDW-R in my experience, though still losing to the MP7.
I really don't see what advantage the PDW-R supposedly has over other PDWs. Burst fired it works at range but so does every other PDW. For short range work, other PDWs are better, especially those with higher ROF, which is better for CQC than slightly higher bullet damage of PDW-R.

meppi

Well I'm kinda glad I redeemed myself on Seine Crossing after that horrible 1-9 Tehran highway game. :-/

Taking out the first jet that was trying to nuke the tanks in our spawn with a regular tank shell at the start of Firestorm was fun as well. ;)

Woorloog

Banned
Doesn't any server run Oman 3 flag anymore? It is better than the 4 flag one (especially since the Drone Elevator glitch was fixed), which is too much about vehicle combat. Sure, it is fun at times but most of the time it is about one side holding all 4 caps.
Karkand 3 flag is better than Karkand 5 flag, 24 players fighting over 3 flags works better than fighting over 5 flags.

Are there some specific cirumstances where flares do not work? I shoot this heli with AA missile and despite it using a flare, my missile scores a hit and destroyes it.

Also, kinda wish infantry had some specialization or something to hide from Proximity Scanner.

I really wish it worked like TUGS/MAV where if a player is crouching they won't appear on the minimap.

the crouching thing only works against T-UGS.
MAV will still pick you up. The only flaw is that MAV scans in bursts/not constant.

And, a perk to make infantry invisible to proximity scans?
Why do you want to nerf the only few functions a recon has?

Woorloog

Banned
the crouching thing only works against T-UGS.
MAV will still pick you up. The only flaw is that MAV scans in bursts/not constant.

And, a perk to make infantry invisible to proximity scans?
Why do you want to nerf the only few functions a recon has?

VEHICLE Proximity Scan, not T-UGS/MAV, those are fine as they're.
If being prone would prevent Prox Scan from detecting you... that wouldn't do much good to C4 planters really.
If nothing else, the radar should show the range of vehicle Proximity Scan, currently it is frustrating to play against tanks as you canno be sure how long range it has.
It is slightly too good on urban maps, IMO, there is no real reason to use Reactive or Thermal Camo or others in urban maps.
I prefer Autoloader regardless of map, if i suspect there is infantry close by, a constant barrage of normal and canister shells will eventually get them, and in tank vs tank fights Autoloader is incredible, with careful shot placement you can bybass Reactive Armor should the enemy use it (and it doesn't matter much anyway, it can take only one shot).

Also, having played 130 hours of BF3, i finally met the first pilot i'm willing to call good. Good pilot that is, he was a really bad player otherwise. He spent the whole round flying in a jet... and didn't do anything to help his team. We won on the ground decisively.
He got 14 kills but so what? 14 tickets is nothing when you control all the bases. And all those kills were tactically insignificant, he killed a few snipers and nigh dead guys and a few tanks (when the enemy didn't have anyone in vehicles...).

I could have shot him down with an AA missile if any one of these were true:
1) AA missile range were SLIGHTLY (100 meters at most probably) longer
2) ECM didn't recharge so incredibly fast.
3) If my team's Engineers hadn't been morons and at least one of them had carried AA missile and had bothered to use it.
As it was, i got a lock-on on him some dozen times but never managed to get a missile off due to range or ECM interfering.

On PC, the first two are not probably as large issues due to far larger player count and thus having more potential Engineers but on consoles they are. Communication helps of course but... well, try to suggest something to randoms. Too bad consoles do not have Commo Rose, in my experience random people are more likely to respond in-game "commands" than to written or spoken commands.

Don't i have nice luck? One good jet pilot per 130 hours. I'll take a good player over a good jet pilot anyday though, battles are won on the ground in BF3 console versions.

Xux

Are there some specific cirumstances where flares do not work? I shoot this heli with AA missile and despite it using a flare, my missile scores a hit and destroyes it.
The helicopter has to be moving fast enough or it'll be hit by the missile's exploding on a flare.

olimpia84

Was browsing through my stats in battlelog and saw that I already have all the assignments completed. When the heck did I complete and finished a Gun Master round in the top five?? lol

Great games people, after a week playing a few games (and very bad games, and several freezes) last night I enjoyed steamrolling PS3 GAF in a lot of decent games (and only one freeze in 4 hours :D ). Good one with Faceless trolling with the heli in Damavand.

params7

Banned
DICE please bring text-chat to consoles and custom soundtracks to PS3 please (which is the only platform that can't do custom soundtracks).

Plz Dice.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

He's very good and gives pretty good advice... only watched a few mins though.

lol... it's funny this is basically what every good BF player deals with in the game... worthless teammates. and having to do everything by yourself. he's really good in 1v1. i'm more of a hipfire player, but this makes me want to try going ADS a bit more.

edit2: pretty much everything he says has been mentioned in this thread a hundred times. except for the how the handedness of players will influence their reactions in CQB. he says that since most players are right handed, they tend to move to the right (your left) in combat, whether in a 1v1 in close combat, or if they're behind a wall, they will generally move right. this is probably true.

edit3: so looking at the reddit thread, I guess this guy has an almost 1000 SPM. cool thing about his playstyle is that he avoids killing people if possible, to remain undetected, and plays the objective. the points really are in the objectives. he MPV's this rtound, and yeah, he killed 16 people, but he also took almost every crate himself. I think his team took one other crate. but he demonstrates that a lot of the points are in playing the game right -- playing the objective.

TheSeks

He's very good and gives pretty good advice... only watched a few mins though.

lol... it's funny this is basically what every good BF player deals with in the game... worthless teammates. and having to do everything by yourself. he's really good in 1v1. i'm more of a hipfire player, but this makes me want to try going ADS a bit more.

edit2: pretty much everything he says has been mentioned in this thread a hundred times. except for the how the handedness of players will influence their reactions in CQB. he says that since most players are right handed, they tend to move to the right (your left) in combat, whether in a 1v1 in close combat, or if they're behind a wall, they will generally move right. this is probably true.

Too bad you can't change handedness in the player model like UT did ages ago. :(

Not that it matters since as a left-handed person I never used it

DICE please bring text-chat to consoles and custom soundtracks to PS3 please (which is the only platform that can't do custom soundtracks).

Plz Dice.

LOL WUT. PS3 supports Custom Soundtracks just like X-box 360 and X-box did. The issue is it isn't a systemwide call (or maybe it is and developers are lazy) to where they had to do the old X-box call method of having music options with custom soundtracks in the options to load the music on your harddrive.

Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown does it, FFS.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I have the wednesday off or how i like to call it: Close Quarters Day

Evolved1

You know one thing about this game (a change since BC2) that I despise and isn't often mentioned... the skull and crossbones when your teammate dies.

That is such bullshit. I wish you could turn it off.

You know one thing about this game (a change since BC2) that I despise and isn't often mentioned... the skull and crossbones when your teammate dies.

What's wrong with it?
It's a serves a good general indicator of where enemies might be.
Most of the community also chooses to ignore it completely (and more don't even read the map.)

Evolved1

What's wrong with it?
It's a serves a good general indicator of where enemies might be.
Most of the community also chooses to ignore it completely (and more don't even read the map.)

I think it's a crutch for bad players, and penalizes good players. And there are some times when you have to kill a guy, even though you're trying to make a stealthy play on an objective. If the guy is camping the crate, you generally have to kill him, revealing your position before you even start arming.

I don't like it. You roll with a silenced weapon, sneak by the defense, and the game still betrays your position when you have to drop someone. Not even knife kills are stealthy!

Personally, I just don't like it. So many of my own kills come from that info on the minimap.

That used to be a perk of rolling medic, that you would see indicators for fallen teammates, and now everyone can see all the time. It's not even proximity! Everyone can see on the map, anywhere.

Don't like it one bit.

Agreed.

One of the things I complained about before the game launched. Medics should be the only one receiving that info.

TheSeks

It's not that big of a deal. Like Dream stated, most everyone doesn't pay attention to it. Hell I've done U-knife runs while playing Jack the Ripper on the enemy and there's at least three snipers right next to each other and they don't even hear or see their teammates dying to the left/right of them.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Given the fact so few people spot let alone communicate in this game, I will gladly take any visual indicators that help me assess in real time where threats and weaknesses are located

milsorgen

Banned
Given the fact so few people spot let alone communicate in this game, I will gladly take any visual indicators that help me assess in real time where threats and weaknesses are located

That and it seems most people don't even look at the minimap so the skull and crossbones aren't always a dead giveaway. I'll spot or throw TUGS at a choke point and see a large force coming up and wonder why my team is going the other dierection.

vixlar

I agree. Only medics should see dead people... (LOL)

Other thing I don't like is that friendly grenades show like enemy grenades. Once a threw a grenade to protect the person who was deactvating the comm, and he ran away...

BoatAck

Other thing I don't like is that friendly grenades show like enemy grenades. Once a threw a grenade to protect the person who was deactvating the comm, and he ran away...

I would love it if friendly grenades were differentiated from enemy grenades

It's not that big of a deal. Like Dream stated, most everyone doesn't pay attention to it. Hell I've done U-knife runs while playing Jack the Ripper on the enemy and there's at least three snipers right next to each other and they don't even hear or see their teammates dying to the left/right of them.

yeah, it's a visual gameplay element that simulates a deathcry or communication between soldiers.

JJD

Haha, more double XP this weekend. My SPM is never gonna drop down below 1200 at this rate.

Well it's pretty easy to have a 1000 plus SPM if you reset your stats. Most of GAF would have it, since by now we know the game pretty well.

Most stats don't mean much anymore. Played some games with an awful, awful lvl. 100 colonel on my squad last saturday and decided to check his stats on battlelog to see how many hour he had played.

I assumed he had something like 1000 hours since he was so bad, but was already top lvl.

Much to my surprise he had something like 600 and a SPM of 933 without reseting his stats. He played mostly 500% tickets conquest games on Metro as an assault only.

I'm pretty sure he must be a pretty good Metro player to have a SPM like that, but he was almost useless on other maps and probably don't know how to play well other classes.

Custom servers and stat reset have fucked stat tracking in this game. You'll se a lot of really bad players around with some great stats nowadays.

I know that's not your case Mint, you were always a great player and teammate it's just that stats have become useless now, and I think they are kinda ruining the game. I wish we could only track W/L and K/D, this way people would not give then so much attention.

Well it's pretty easy to have a 1000 plus SPM if you reset your stats. Most of GAF would have it, since by now we know the game pretty well.

Most stats don't mean much anymore. Played some games with an awful, awful lvl. 100 colonel on my squad last saturday and decided to check his stats on battlelog to see how many hour he had played.

I assumed he had something like 1000 hours since he was so bad, but was already top lvl.

Much to my surprise he had something like 600 and a SPM of 933 without reseting his stats. He played mostly 500% tickets conquest games on Metro as an assault only.

I'm pretty sure he must be a pretty good Metro player to have a SPM like that, but he was almost useless on other maps and probably don't know how to play well other classes.

Custom servers and stat reset have fucked stat tracking in this game. You'll se a lot of really bad players around with some great stats nowadays.

I know that's not your case Mint, you were always a great player and teammate it's just that stats have become useless now, and I think they are kinda ruining the game. I wish we could only track W/L and K/D, this way people would not give then so much attention.

You usually want an above average SPM.

However, a player like me would get ignored for "low" SPM.

My SPM always take a tanking when I'm defending in rush. Sitting in the garage of Seinen, room of bazaar, etc,etc.
The fact that I'm uncomfortable leaving the vacinity of the m-com means I'll miss out on any action other than motion sensor points/the occassional 1 vs. 5 at the m-com insanity. Also getting lackluster points when I'm doing crazy MAV spotting session for people on metro and seinen, etc.

The same goes with stuff like "running back to A to stop enemy cap, instead of staying at C to spawncamp".

lack of input lag after the patch is awesome, fps of the gen?

FPS for the year maybe.
The game still doesn't feel as fun as Bad Company 2, and Dice certainly isn't making it feel any better.

Top Bottom