• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played a bunch of Conquest games this afternoon with Gaffers. I know Charles_Surge and swiftrunner731 were there for sure as well as a few others. Sorry for forgetting names and not knowing GAF names. I'm on an SD set so if you guys aren't on my friend's list it's hard for me to read.

I had an awesome time. I apologize for sucking those first few games but once I got back into the swing of Conquest I was able to do a lot better and had a ton of fun. The games on Firestorm and Canals were the most fun I've had in multiplayer since BF2. If you were playing with me let me know so I can match GAF names to PSN IDs. I also finally unlocked the AEK again and put some time in as engineer. So good.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yes, Cal. Never spawn on my beacon OR ME when I'm BEHIND THE ENEMY and going to arm and need support as a recon.

SMH. I mean I'm sitting there waiting for you to spawn with the other dude and NOPE.avi you go back to the clusterfuck. Damn it. :/

At least on the bright side we won those rounds BY THE SKIN OF MY TEETH by me avoiding fire, picking up the other squad dudes assault/medic kit. Reviving him with my medic shotgun, running over arming and GTFOing to an advantage point. >_>

And unlocked the IR Flares and Heat Seekers in the jet on that mysterious 3 jet kill Oilfield map.

I seriously don't know how I killed them I was too busy learning to fly without slamming into the ground spraying and praying for points and disabling a few tanks while flying REALLY low like a few feet from the pavement.

Caspian Border oh man, I should've stayed on the ground. Trying to get a lock on with the heat seekers and someone shaking you off is a bitch and a half for me because I can't turn the jets on a dime.

At least if I unlock the air to ground missiles I'd be more useful in a jet. >_>

Also I still think the spawn screen is totally broken and doesn't allow Calion and others to see WHERE the fuck I put beacons and squad statuses. :|

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game needs battle recorder. I need a way to demonstrate to people the error of their ways, (set up a defense, stick to it, communicate, stay by the fucking crates!) and how it's not fair for every damn game to come down to a herculean effort by myself or some other gaffer in the closing moments.

While those moments are exhilarating and rewarding... they are completely unnecessary.

Had some middling games today but a few times I was able to pull off some serious shit when serious shit was required.

M1911 is the best weapon in the game. Lol.

Oh yeah... and DICE, flashlights and lasers are almost single handedly ruining the game. Because of flashlights, M1911 is the best weapon in the game. Good job. Maybe it's time to rethink those.

TheSeks

Evolved1 said:
This game needs battle recorder. I need a way to demonstrate to people the error of their ways, (set up a defense, stick to it, communicate, stay by the fucking crates!) and how it's not fair for every damn game to come down to a herculean effort by myself or some other gaffer in the closing moments.

While those moments are exhilarating and rewarding... they are completely unnecessary.

Had some middling games today but a few times I was able to pull off some serious shit when serious shit was required.

Shut up and play hard co-op mission 3 with me, damn it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tunavi said:
YUPPPPPPP

Isn't it rumored to be coming?

The one game that DOESN'T need it is getting it. (COD)

Games like this and halo where some whacked out shit happen NEED it.

Gears NEEDS it for when you go complete beastmode on people.

Shit every game should have it just because.

Evolved1 said:
M1911 is the best weapon in the game. Lol.

Oh yeah... and DICE, flashlights and lasers are almost single handedly ruining the game. Because of flashlights, M1911 is the best weapon in the game. Good job. Maybe it's time to rethink those.

I agree.

Almost every firefight you have a light or suppression blindness in your face...and sometimes both. I find myself having to spray a good chunk of the time cause my screen is a blurry mess and Im blinded...really not a fun addition.

I unlocked and equipped reduced suppression, now if I'm right and thats what makes the blur effect then hopefully it reduces it but I havent got a chance to really see an improvement

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Pkm said:
I agree.

Almost every firefight you have a light or suppression blindness in your face...and sometimes both. I find myself having to spray a good chunk of the time cause my screen is a blurry mess and Im blinded...really not a fun addition.

I unlocked and equipped reduced suppression, now if I'm right and thats what makes the blur effect then hopefully it reduces it but I havent got a chance to really see an improvement

The blur effect is indeed suppression and I think it's a great addition to the game.

If you're suppressed a "good chunk of the time," you need to move away from that spot.

Bruiserk

duracell017 said:
finally picked up the game yesterday. thank you dreamgazer for the invite. unfortunately I sucked terribly to help out in any game. :(

trying to get used to the aiming in this game. do I have to lead just a hair to account for the lag? I'm like missing my shots unless they are cqc.

good games with gaf. nice to meet a few I haven't played with: farlangh, calion, easytgt.

question about minimap. the enemy shows up only when they fire or spotted via motion mines and mav?

I applied for the platoon last nite. psn: renderman017

overall the I like the game just frustrated with the mechanics. its the usual new release getting used to period. did you guys leave the brightness during the initial setup at default? I can't see anything after adjusting for the 3 to be barely visible.

Oh you were renderman? I didn't know. You were in my squad for a little bit i believe. Did you add me on PSN? I can't remember.

meppi

Well crash goes the PS3. Time to call it a night I guess.

Had a lot of fun tonight.
Until Metro conquest came around. What a terrible, terrible map, yuk.
After that my heart just wasn't in it anymore and I started getting annoyed at all the BS that shouldn't be happening.

Ran up to a guy from the back, pulled out my knife, it didn't work once again. Tried it again, no deal...
So I switch to my M4AI and try to shoot him, it locks up! :-/
Try to knife him again, doesn't do anything.
He finally notices me, I switch to my handgun, it also doesn't work!
Of course he kills me with 2 shots from his spray and pray LMG.

FFS FIX THIS SHIT GORILLA!!!! :mad:

Ketch

Pkm said:

I'm kind of conflicted about the flashlight/laser/suppression/bloom blindness in the game. There's good and bad to it, and I'm not sure if it adds or takes away the "fun".

It's definitely annoying as shit, not being able to see frickin sucks. When I come around a corner to some jerkwagon with a flashlight in my face (enemy or friendly, it actually hurts my eyes.... annoying, but immersive. Now I can't see and I can't shoot that guy, which sucks... for me, for him it's great-- he used the flashlight successfully and probably killed me because of it... I should use the flashlight more often. The same thing applies to the laser and suppression impairment, I just don't think it "gets" me as much as the flashlight does. Either way though, they're all tools that can be used tactically to your advantage/detriment... which I think is an awesome addition to the game. However, they do hamper the gun on gun skill vs skill aspect of the game, but I'm not sure that's such a big deal in Battlefield, I don't really know how I feel about that. I think that battlefield isn't really trying to be a balanced skill based shooter... It's more about using what you got to get the advantage, whether that's based on class abilities, map layout, vehicles, or weapon attachments.

On a side note, if you're using the flashlight DON'T shine it in your teams face! If you are blinding your own team you really suck, and I hate you.

TheSeks said:
Also I still think the spawn screen is totally broken and doesn't allow Calion and others to see WHERE the fuck I put beacons and squad statuses. :|

Yea the spawn screen is screwy, it always shows people as support - so I pick medic and spawn on them to find out that no, they are actually a medic. WTF?

TheSeks

EasyTGT said:
I think that battlefield isn't really trying to be a balanced skill based shooter..

If that's the case I may as well just go back to Quake 3 Arena or hell Hack of Duty 4 than stick with Battlefield if DICE can't properly balance.

red731

Really good games from squad point of view. If anyone would play so coordinated, helping with health and ammo, covering squad mates when drivin deep into enemy territory...

Ace squad
ribbonsss

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So what's the verdict on multiplayer balance? Haven't put it much time yet, so Im curious about how it fares compared to BC2.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
Shut up and play hard co-op mission 3 with me, damn it.

My power has been going out all day due to the snow storm... I was taking a chance playing and just when you messaged me I got a nasty brown out that killed my internet and almost froze my PS3 while it was saving/loading a mission debriefing. 0_o

I'm gonna hold off on playing a little bit till things settle down. Sorry.

Pkm said:
I agree.

I love the addition of suppression. Love it. Think they've done it perfectly.

I don't even mind the idea of tac lights and laser sights... they're just implemented poorly in the game.

Dr Prob

Banned
olimpia84 said:
Why is it that Tehran Highway Conquest is always a guaranteed rubberband fest?

Yeah, as people were discussing before, that map is just broken for some reason in both Conquest and Rush. Had two mystery deaths there today. In CQ, got stuck to the stationary Kord thing on the Russian side and somehow ate it, then in Rush I went to take a tiny hop down from the bottom of a ledge, then all of a sudden was warped back up to the top and the parachute wouldn't work. Splat.

I'm also on board in hoping that we get some battle recorder action. In almost every match, no matter how good or bad it's going there's usually at least one thing where you're just like...only in battlefield. Everyone should be able to share the awesomeness. Like this pro shit I pulled yesterday :D

Woorloog

Banned
Tehran rubberbanding an issue on 360 or PS3? Europena or American servers?
I play on 360, in Europe and i don't have any more rubberbanding on it than anywhere else, works fine, looks nice, plays all right.

EDIT oh and who here is Starfleets?

Bruiserk said:
Oh you were renderman? I didn't know. You were in my squad for a little bit i believe. Did you add me on PSN? I can't remember.

No worries man. Yah I was for a little it. I'll add you tonite. =)

Calion

TheSeks said:
Yes, Cal. Never spawn on my beacon OR ME when I'm BEHIND THE ENEMY and going to arm and need support as a recon.

SMH. I mean I'm sitting there waiting for you to spawn with the other dude and NOPE.avi you go back to the clusterfuck. Damn it. :/

At least on the bright side we won those rounds BY THE SKIN OF MY TEETH by me avoiding fire, picking up the other squad dudes assault/medic kit. Reviving him with my medic shotgun, running over arming and GTFOing to an advantage point. >_>

And unlocked the IR Flares and Heat Seekers in the jet on that mysterious 3 jet kill Oilfield map.

I seriously don't know how I killed them I was too busy learning to fly without slamming into the ground spraying and praying for points and disabling a few tanks while flying REALLY low like a few feet from the pavement.

Caspian Border oh man, I should've stayed on the ground. Trying to get a lock on with the heat seekers and someone shaking you off is a bitch and a half for me because I can't turn the jets on a dime.

At least if I unlock the air to ground missiles I'd be more useful in a jet. >_>

Well, I'm still getting situated to the feel and look, but yes. Half the time I don't notice beacons. But hey, the great thing is, we won 95% of our matches. (Cough Caspian Border Cough).

So far, Extended Mag + Bipod on the M249 is beastly. I've pretty much sniped people with that gun.

Anyhoo, I'll be on later tonight.

Evolved1

Community FYI: When you plant a spawn beacon, plant it facing the opposite direction you want people to be oriented when they spawn, otherwise they'll be oriented opposite of what you intended.

/purposefully wordy.

Ketch

TheSeks said:
If that's the case I may as well just go back to Quake 3 Arena or hell Hack of Duty 4 than stick with Battlefield if DICE can't properly balance.

I'd argue the Call of Duty isn't really a good example of a balanced skill based shooter either. I think it's more of a rock paper scissors balance then a chess or checkers type of balance... if that makes sense.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is battlefield is more about overall balance of the two teams rather then balance on the individual encounter level. There are just too many variables to ensure that every 1v1 encounter is going to be equal terms for both involved. More encounters will be decided based on who has what weapon with what attachment, with what perk, in which vehicle.

JJD

Great games today guys! Even the ones I lost playing against gaffers like that Seine Crossing conquest.

Also played co op for the first time today and I really enjoyed it! I even met a nice random guy who piloted the chopper for me on the second mission! But I'm scoring an average 10.000 per game, so it will take awhile to unlock everything!

Team balance is only good to separate squads that are playing together. I'm sick and tired of playing games with 2 or 3 less player on my team. Fuck that.

Woorloog

Banned
Evolved1 said:
Community FYI: When you plant a spawn beacon, plant it facing the opposite direction you want people to be oriented when they spawn, otherwise they'll be oriented opposite of what you intended.

/purposefully wordy.
Noted, in case i ever happen to play as Recon (zero score with Recon currently, haven't used it)... Too many people use the class, too many people are fucking awful with it and regardless too many do not contribute meaninfully while using the class.

olimpia84

Hey DICE I appreciate that you're trying to balance teams at the end of each round but for fucks sake please let me play with my friends. It's pretty much a given after each match that your team disbands almost entirely.

Been jumping in a few games with you guys, been fun :) Hope I havent screwed up alot or pissed anyone off yet lol. Havent had my mic so havent been able to fully wooperate with you all, my kids been using it all day on his PS3 since he's in because of the rain/snow storm :p

Tomat said:
So what's the verdict on multiplayer balance? Haven't put it much time yet, so Im curious about how it fares compared to BC2.

I havent seen much pointing to imbalances in mutiplayer. Only annoying thing Ive seen so far has been light attachments on guns. I mean anyone can use them but it just gets annoying that everywere you look you have a red light in your eye or a blinding white one...from even your own team.
Really gets annoying constantly fighting being able to see with the lights in your face on top of the suppression blur. Suppressin Blur rocks, Lights are an annoyance the game didnt need.

I guess comparing it to BF2 would be hard.
Everyone knew that in BF2 Medic was god mode. All you needed was a G36E/AK-47 and a buddy who was a mdic and you could spam insta heal packs at your feet and do massive damage with the 36E/AK-47.
Sure in BF2 the medic vs. medic battles were a bunch of guys having the same set-up but I stll choose it over how FPS's give you a billion attachements, some perks and various other ways to effect your opponent rather then "point, aim, fire"
Im a simple man :)

EasyTGT said:
Anyway, the point I was trying to make is battlefield is more about overall balance of the two teams rather then balance on the individual encounter level. There are just too many variables to ensure that every 1v1 encounter is going to be equal terms for both involved. More encounters will be decided based on who has what weapon with what attachment, with what perk, in which vehicle.
I get that. Just I myself miss the days when a shooter was simplified down to "pick a class, pick a gun".
This addition of a perks and attachements are cool but the simplification of BF2 soldiers made you feel like the person beat you not what he has attached or unlocked. Just wish they left the simplified gun play in for BF3 and used tthe "new" system for BC.

TheSeks said:

Ive also experienced spawn issues with not seeing members of my squad on the list of available spawns when they are clearly alive and on foot. Also has issues with the map not showing me which arrow is my teammate when I switch to there name to spawn. And have had issue with the arrows on the mini-map being blue and not green so that my squadies look like regular team mates.

Other problems Ive encountered...
Problems reloading, sometimes I keep smashing the button and it just wont work or fails to work till my 10th press :(

And of course lag can go from not apparent to horrible in a split second. One minute you can be pin point accurate and the game wil be fluid then moments later you rubberbanding, dieing AFTER you get around a wall, or seeing shots not register.

Pistols are a little too pimp smack strong too for some reason. Plenty of times you'll come across a guy with a blinding light and you engage him with a LMG/AR and put a few round sin him...only to be smoked by the handgun. Its got to the point where you'll see people use it as a viable primary weapon. Maybe not devastating the scoreboard with kills but sure as hell aquiring some kills you wouldnt think possible with a handgun.

And armor..WOW..its never been this forgiving!
You can see a tank and smack it with some rockets..watch it putter along and slowly catch fire..hit it a fe more times...OK, now its really on fire and can barely move..you hit it again!..ok guys jump out, murder you, and you get 100pts for disabling a tank while 2 enemys run rampant in your base you tried to protect with all billion AT rockets you shot.
For the love of Christ just gimme "2-4 rockets and a big fucking BOOM" dont give the damn drivers and passengers a MASSIVE window to escape and/or find you and kill you.

And healpacks/ammo...nobody drops them..its just sick the amount of non ammo/heal bag dropping and non-reviving medics that are in this game. People would score 1000+ more points per game if they just took a miute to push there Dpad one way or shock that soldier they see at thier feet.
But in the end...best damn shooter out since BFBC2, and will most likely be the best damn shooer till BFBC3/BF4 is released :)

olimpia84 said:
Hey DICE I appreciate that you're trying to balance teams at the end of each round but for fucks sake please let me play with my friends. It's pretty much a given after each match that your team disbands almost entirely.
yeah, the auto-balance is terrible. want to play with your friends? NO DICE!

JJD

Pkm said:
You can see a tank and smack it with some rockets..watch it putter along and slowly catch fire..hit it a fe more times...OK, now its really on fire and can barely move..you hit it again!..ok guys jump out, morder you, and you get 100pts for disabling a tank while 2 enemys run rampant in your base you tried to protect with all billion AT rockets you shot.
For the love of Christ just gimme "2-4 rockets and a big fucking BOOM" dont give the damn drivers and passengers a MASSIVE window to escape and/or find you and kill you.

I have stolen 3 or 4 tanks just in today games. You gotta be prepared for when the guys come out. If I'm in the middle of a really hot zone, with enemies everywhere I rather go down with my tank than risk getting it stolen just to die a couple minutes latter in the crossfire .

Milly79

Pkm said:
You can see a tank and smack it with some rockets..watch it putter along and slowly catch fire..hit it a fe more times...OK, now its really on fire and can barely move..you hit it again!..ok guys jump out, murder you, and you get 100pts for disabling a tank while 2 enemys run rampant in your base you tried to protect with all billion AT rockets you shot.

It does seem like tanks take 3-4 rounds to "disable" it, then 2-3 more to fully destroy it.

Also, did they up the tickets on Operation Metro to 99?

TheSeks

Well, that Damavand Peak round was terrible. Rush up, knife ejas in stealth. Take out Massa and Dan. Arm A AND NO ONE IS AROUND TO HELP ME. D:

I HATE RANDOMS and everytime the game auto balances I'm suddenly playing against GAF and have to work my ass off to even get near the crates or support it.

TheSeks

EasyTGT said:
I'd argue the Call of Duty isn't really a good example of a balanced skill based shooter either. I think it's more of a rock paper scissors balance then a chess or checkers type of balance... if that makes sense.

CoD4 is probably the most balanced of the outings of that series. Yeah, there's shitty spawns and the rock paper system. But play it on Search and Destroy and it becomes hella tense and skillful when you're the last alive.

Evolved1 said:

Here I was thinking it was facing out from you instead of towards you. *sigh* Too much Team Fortress 2 I guess. I got that now and everyone and their mother was spawning on my points near A on Metro. So nice.

PKM said:
Pkm:

I'd agree, but DICE wants it to be that way to "promote teamwork." Maybe in a while the skill-level will raise and the tanks will be a death trap when five rockets come toward it. But for now enjoy the easy tank kill pins.

I also forgot I have the SCOUT helicopter IR's unlock and not the attack chopper. Que my surprise when I'm all "AHAHAHA ASSHOLE--wait, I'm still lock--(BLAM!)"ed.

Initially I had a problem with the tanks in the game, I thought the tanks were too durable but I've backed off of that though.The regen speed of the blowtorch is pretty fast though, with no cool down like in BC2. So one single engineer can keep a tank near tip top health against one guy firing a barrage of rockets its way, but a second guy can take em down, and if the tank is sustaining itself with teamwork, then it should require some teamwork to take it down. It does suck to see your enemies scamper off though when you put all that work into blowing it up though.

Still need more time with the game before I form concrete opinions on the balance, but I don't see anything that's blatantly overpowered.

Kibbles

Is this battlerecorder coming for consoles too? I mean I figure yes since this is the console thread and there is talk about it, but was it ever confirmed for consoles as well?

Tunavi

Banned
Kibbles said:
Is this battlerecorder coming for consoles too? I mean I figure yes since this is the console thread and there is talk about it, but was it ever confirmed for consoles as well?
Honestly I think its too good to be true.

It needs to come to consoles. I've already seen some pretty cool things I wish were recorded.

So, I've played Tehran Highway a few times and can't really tell if I like it or not. Manage to win my last round on it defending even though the rubber-banding was really bad.

Kibbles

Tunavi said:
Honestly I think its too good to be true.
Same :( Seriously was wishing BC1 had it, but understood why. Then Bad Company 2 came out and I was like ugh wtf how could they not do it? And now with Battlefield 3 still none :( Call of Duty has had it since Black Ops now, Halo of course has been doing it since 2007. There is no better fps game out there to have Theater mode on, yet it's still ignored. I really hope it gets put on consoles but that just seems unlikely.

JJD

Jas said:
The A-91 is my new Uzi :)

It's amazing isn't it? I was going to post this earlier but I forgot! Best engineer gun so far! I hope the thermal sights is an unlock for it!

On a side note, I managed to get the hang of the chopper controls using the Legacy config. To all our chopper aces, do you think legacy is better than the default one?

I can now pretty much take off with a chopper and go were I want without crashing, but I'm far from being a viable pilot on a MP game.

I wish I could play the co op chopper mission alone to train more. I managed to beat it piloting on easy. Gonna try normal later!

I'm beginning to finally adapt to the BF3 controls! :)

JJD said:
It's amazing isn't it? I was going to post this earlier but I forgot! Best engineer gun so far! I hope the thermal sights is an unlock for it!

On a side note, I managed to get the hang of the chopper controls using the Legacy config. To all our chopper aces, do you think legacy is better than the default one?

I can now pretty much take off with a chopper and go were I want without crashing, but I'm far from being a viable pilot on a MP game.

I wish I could play the co op chopper mission alone to train more. I managed to beat it piloting on easy. Gonna try normal later!

I'm beginning to finally adapt to the BF3 controls! :)

Legacy and inverted is the way to go; its the most "natural" feeling

And I see it now: a-91 nerfed in 2 months tops.

People start bragging about a gun, people start taking exception to getting killed by it, gun is nerfed, rinse and repeat. The gun being overpowered remains to be seen, but I don't think it's any better than the other engineer guns. If the a-91 turns out to be marginally overpowered I wouldn't care though.

Klocker

blows my mind that I started playing this series on X360 with BF Modern Combat! That seems like a Dreamcast game compared to this.

This is by far the best battle (war) game of any kind ever made.

LEGGZZZZ

Klocker said:
blows my mind that I started playing this series on X360 with BF Modern Combat! That seems like a Dreamcast game compared to this.

This is by far the best battle (war) game of any kind ever made.

Agreed. Other developers take note.

Top Bottom