• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I dunno. Frag respawn is too slow for me unless there's two ammo packs going.

Kak.efes

You know, the AN-94 really isn't all that awful a gun. If you're on the right map with it, it can get the job done. Just slap a heavy barrel on it, with a PKA holo, and you're set.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You know, the AN-94 really isn't all that awful a gun. If you're on the right map with it, it can get the job done. Just slap a heavy barrel on it, with a PKA holo, and you're set.

I just started using it. And like it... has a cool reload and the rifle is pretty accurate/powerful.

But I hate the iron sight and I haven't unlocked any optics yet, which was pissing me off earlier today on Caspian. A few times I got killed when I know I wouldn't have if I had a HOLO/RDS...

Unlocks suck so hard. DICE was so obnoxious with this shit in BF3. And honestly, there's not even that much customization. Not compared to other games. Bunch of basic stuff that you have to grind out for every weapon... it's kind of a joke.

I watch some premium vid where a DICE dev was talking about "we looked at our customization options and tried to figure out what we were really missing -- weapon camos" give me a freaking break.

One min these devs are awesome and the next they are just way off the mark.

Kak.efes

I just started using it. And like it... has a cool reload and the rifle is pretty accurate/powerful.

But I hate the iron sight and I haven't unlocked any optics yet, which was pissing me off earlier today on Caspian. A few times I got killed when I know I wouldn't have if I had a HOLO/RDS...

Unlocks suck so hard. DICE was so obnoxious with this shit in BF3. And honestly, there's not even that much customization. Not compared to other games. Bunch of basic stuff that you have to grind out for every weapon... it's kind of a joke.

I watch some premium vid where a DICE dev was talking about "we looked at our customization options and tried to figure out what we were really missing -- weapon camos" give me a freaking break.

One min these devs are awesome and the next they are just way off the mark.

Yeah, that iron sight is arguably the worst in the game. Once you reach 50 kills, you're pretty much set though. The gun is excellent on the Karkand maps.

TheSeks

The ironsights are fine on the AN-94. You guys must've not used it in BC2 that way.

That said, the damage and fire rates are what make me hate it this outing instead of loving it. I was all hyped for it but it's... not good in comparison to it's BC2 outing.

JJD

The AN-94 was the best assault gun on BC2 for quite awhile, until Dice nerfed it into almost oblivion...

I have more than 3.000 kills with it on that game.

On BF3 it's really good mid to long range, but it's kinda poor on close range.

tn2007

The AN-94 was the best assault gun on BC2 for quite awhile, until Dice nerfed it into almost oblivion...

I have more than 3.000 kills with it on that game.

On BF3 it's really good mid to long range, but it's kinda poor on close range.

Using the AN94, I have 986 kills, 1.6 KPM, and a 3% higher accuracy rating than anyother assualt rifle. By far my most efficient assault rifle. The only problem is like you said close range. I use either the kobra or holo sight with foregrip and heavy barrel. Since my style is more agressive I use either the M16a3 or the AEK. But if I need to be defensive I like to use the AN94.

Edit: I might start using the AN94 and kh2002 more often since my accuracy is so much better with those two guns. I need to unlock the scar-l but I hate using the m320.

Evolved1

Using the AN94, I have 986 kills, 1.6 KPM, and a 3% higher accuracy rating than anyother assualt rifle. By far my most efficient assault rifle. The only problem is like you said close range. I use either the kobra or holo sight with foregrip and heavy barrel. Since my style is more agressive I use either the M16a3 or the AEK. But if I need to be defensive I like to use the AN94.

Edit: I might start using the AN94 and kh2002 more often since my accuracy is so much better with those two guns. I need to unlock the scar-l but I hate using the m320.

I don't think I've even tried that rifle. haha

tn2007

I don't think I've even tried that rifle. haha

Do you like burst fire weapons? If you do the kh2002 can be a beast. 1-2 bursts to the head equals instant death. And you conserve ammo. I don't know why seks and dawn don't use more burst fire weapons since they have high accuracy.

Evolved1

Do you like burst fire weapons? If you do the kh2002 can be a beast. 1-2 bursts to the head equals instant death. And you conserve ammo. I don't know why seks and dawn don't use more burst fire weapons since they have high accuracy.

It might just be my own deficiency, but burst fire gets me killed in CQB situations almost every time.

In BC2 I used to play single fire on a lot of rifles and it worked great, but in BF3 it's like a death sentence.

Single fire I lose every time... burst I lose most of the time. So I avoid them all. :(

TheSeks

KH2002 is the new AN-94 for BF3. Slap a heavy barrel onto it and go to town.

In fact, if I wasn't using the other assault rifles for the 200 bonus unlocks to levels, I'd probably stick with that for Assault.

Evolved1

Heavy barrel improves aimed accuracy, right?

I keep forgetting what this shit does after they changed stuff around...

TheSeks

Kinda yeah. For mid-long range Heavy Barrel is good. In close-range it kinda suffers but you're not going to worry about that on the KH2002.

Silencer is the new "heavy barrel" for close-range, but it loses accuracy at mid-long range. So it's for CQC guns like the F2000.

But really, the KH2002 needs the Heavy Barrel if you're looking for an AN-94 BC2 replacement. Anton (or Splinter, forgetting) told me about it in the BF3 |OT|/PC thread and I have to agree with that assessment. It's way good when you get into it's mindset.

I don't know why seks and dawn don't use more burst fire weapons since they have high accuracy.

I can't speak for Dawn, but for me:

-Single shot vs full-auto fire mode: lose
-Burst fire vs full-auto fire mode: lose
-Full-auto vs Full-auto with "manual" burst at distances I deem bursts: win win win.

I really dunno why they added fire modes (oh, wait, yes I do: to please the PC community so they don't whine about it) since they're utterly USELESS on most maps and situations. That and the fire modes fuck up some guns like the AN-94 "jamming" in it's "signature two shot mode" before it was "fixed."

JJD

Do it man! The Scar-L is overall the best mid/long range assault rifle in the game in the words of a lot of pros!

It's not going to win any awards at close range combat due to it's rate of fire like the AN-94, but it's manageable. It's accuracy, bullet spread and recoil are among the best in the game, it's really only lacking in the ROF department.

Kak.efes

There's little to no damage drop off at range with a heavy barrel equipped. Also, I wouldn't bother with the foregrip on the AN94, since its horizontal recoil is already pretty low. I usually rock the underslung, but that's because I'm an M320 whore.

You have to remember that it's a one shot kill on direct impact.
Just pretend it's a shotgun that requires a little aiming.

I love using the M320 on maps like crossing, where people would just run through narrow hallways/ doorways. Just pop out, fire a straight shot at them, bam - kill.

It's really not that bad.

Granted...I prefer to run med pack 99.9% of the time.

JJD

Heavy barrel improves aimed bullet spread (and therefore gives you better accuracy) and makes each bullet of your gun do better damage over longer distances (that is it's most important characteristic). The trade off is that it adds recoil (vertical, not side recoil) and makes handling full auto fire and hip fire a little more difficult.

Each AN-94 bullet does 25 damage (max) until 8 meters, anything over this distance and they drop damage until they do just 18.4 damage (minimum) at 50 meters and forward.

With the heavy barrel each bullet still does maximum damage (25) until 8 meters, but the damage loss is lighter over distance. Minimum damage (18.4) with the heavy barrel on the AN only occurs at 76 meters.

The end result is that you can kill people a bit faster and easier over longer distances, but it makes it more difficult to handle the gun on close quarters combat. It doesn't affect damage on short distances.

It may seem like it isn't a big difference, but it's a considerable one. It has been the go-to weapon mod for a lot of competitive players since the big patch were they rebalanced all accessories and nerfed fore grip hard.

Chart:

BIg23.png

tn2007

Do it man! The Scar-L is overall the best mid/long range assault rifle in the game in the words of a lot of pros!

It's not going to win any awards at close range combat due to it's rate of fire like the AN-94, but it's manageable. It's accuracy, bullet spread and recoil are among the best in the game, it's really only lacking in the ROF department.

I heard scar-L w/heavy barrel is bugged right now and thats why it's so good. I want to get it but I'm horrible with the m320.

tn2007

Heavy barrel improves aimed bullet spread (and therefore better accuracy) and makes each bullet of your gun do better damage over longer distances (that is it's most important characteristic). The trade off is that it adds recoil (upwards, not side recoil) and makes handling full auto fire and hip fire a little more difficult.

Each AN-94 bullet does 25 damage (max) until 8 meters, anything over this distance and they drop damage until they do just 18.4 damage (minimum) at 50 meters.

With the heavy barrel each bullet still does maximum damage (25) until 8 meters, but the damage loss is lighter over distance. Minimum damage (18.4) with the heavy barrel on the AN only occurs at 76 meters.

The end result is that you can kill people a bit faster and easier over longer distances, but it makes it more difficult to handle the gun on close quarters combat. It doesn't affect damage on short distances.

It may seem like it isn't a big difference, but it's a considerable one. It has been the go-to weapon mod for a lot of competitive players since the big patch were they rebalanced all accessories.

Chart:

BIg23.png

Heavy barrel is good if you can control recoil and your more of a mid/long range player. But on my M16a3 and my AEK I have to use flash suppressor since I suck at recoil compensation. Unless I tap fire which I can use heavy barrel all day. But I still prefer flash suppressor at this time.

tn2007

You have to remember that it's a one shot kill on direct impact.
Just pretend it's a shotgun that requires a little aiming.

I love using the M320 on maps like crossing, where people would just run through narrow hallways/ doorways. Just pop out, fire aU know what we better get there at 11 at the latest straight shot at them, bam - kill.

It's really not that bad.

Granted...I prefer to run med pack 99.9% of the time.

I'm gonna have to do TDM for it. Like you I prefer the med pack unless I need to get pass a defensive line and in that case I'll use m320 smoke.

JJD

Heavy barrel is good if you can control recoil and your more of a mid/long range player. But on my M16a3 and my AEK I have to use flash suppressor since I suck at recoil compensation. Unless I tap fire which I can use heavy barrel all day. But I still prefer flash suppressor at this time.

Why don't you just use the silencer if you think you suck at recoil compensation?

I think it might be a better fit for your style. You're aggressive, always in the middle of the action. The silencer not only gives you less recoil but mini map invisibility when firing. I bet you would improve your K/D over time with it.

Silencer is only a worst fit than flash suppressor IMO if you're engaging too much over longer distances since it increases bullet drop and decreases bullet velocity.

But really man, don't worry too much about your accuracy. It might not be godlike like Dawn but it's far from being bad.

Most people that have really high accuracy stats use shotguns considerably (not Dawn case, dude is just insane IMO). I have 17.7% accuracy, but I have silver starts with every shotgun in the game. If I didn't use then my accuracy would be at 14%, 15% at most.

Recoil compensation is way easier on PC with the mouse. I suck with it on the pad, that's why I burst fire a lot, since after each burst the gun slightly returns to it's first firing position I just compensate the rest to the enemy position.

tn2007

Why don't you just use the silencer if you think you suck at recoil compensation?

I think it might be a better fit for your style. You're aggressive, always in the middle of the action. The silencer not only gives you less recoil but mini map invisibility when firing. I bet you would improve your K/D over time with it.

Silencer is only a worst fit than flash suppressor IMO if you're engaging too much over longer distances since it increases bullet drop and decreases bullet velocity.

But really man, don't worry too much about your accuracy. It might not be godlike like Dawn but it's far from being bad.

Most people that have really high accuracy stats use shotguns considerably (not Dawn case, dude is just insane IMO). I have 17.7% accuracy, but I've silver starts with every shotgun in the game. If I haven't used then my accuracy would be at 14%, 15% at most.

Recoil compensation is way easier on PC with the mouse. I suck with it on the pad, that's why I burst fire a lot, since after each burst the gun slightly returns to it's first firing position and I compensate the rest to the enemy position.

I did use the silencer until they nerfed it. The reason I don't use the silencer now is because of the damage reduction over range and the recoil reduction is less than the flash suppressor. It think it's 20% recoil reduction on the flash suppressor compare to 10% on the silencer. And I'm not sure but I think the flash suppressor gives you a slight aim accuracy bonus aiming down sight.

I'm gonna have to do TDM for it. Like you I prefer the med pack unless I need to get pass a defensive line and in that case I'll use m320 smoke.

I honestly don't think TDM is the good place to do it.
Since most TDM maps are more open, you're going to have a harder time to land a good m320 shot. Maps with lots of narrow roads/straight corridors really are the way to go.

Flash suppressor reduces vertical recoil.

As for accuracy wise...I do lots of "shoot at tank/people so that someone else can plant c4/knife...", which kills my accuracy a bit also...

--------------
This video is essentially how I would use the m320:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-tzRWHaPV8

Go for aimed direct hits instead of explosive damage hits + abuse narrow hallways.

JJD

I did use the silencer until they nerfed it. The reason I don't use the silencer now is because of the damage reduction over range and the recoil reduction is less than the flash suppressor. It think it's 20% recoil reduction on the flash suppressor compare to 10% on the silencer. And I'm not sure but I think the flash suppressor gives you a slight aim accuracy bonus aiming down sight.

I wasn't sure of the specifics of the suppressor against the flash suppressor so I checked the stats.

Bullet spread is a bit better with the suppressor than with the flash suppressor on every stance, but recoils is a tiny bit higher. Also hip fire is worse with suppressor than with just flash suppressor by a more considerable margin.

I thought that the suppressor was better or the same when it comes to recoil probably because of the smaller bullet deviation when aiming. But that difference is really small at just 0.05.

The real recoil difference is even smaller at only 0.025, so I think it's almost negligible.

In the end, when it comes to aiming accuracy and recoil they are practically the same.

The real difference is indeed in the bullet drop and velocity which make the suppressor considerably weaker over longer distances.

It drops maximum damage to just until 4 meters instead of the usual 8, and minimum damage to 30 meters instead of 50. It's kinda like the difference of the heavy barrel improvements over a naked version of the same gun.

Going by the stats at 30 meters the difference between suppressor vs. flash to kill a guy is one and a half bullet. I think that's not too big for a skilled guy like you, specially when you consider the bonus of mini map firing invisibility.

So, I would say if you're engaging people usually at less than 30 meters (pretty far, on maps like Metro and Bazaar you hardly kill someone that far if you're not sniping) go with suppressor, if you're engaging more at farther than 30 meters (happens a lot on the B2K and vehicle maps) go with flash.

I'm just having too much fun with the suppressor on infantry maps. It makes skilled players who are used to look at the mini map easy targets like unskilled ones that have never noticed it.

If anyone is engaging people at close quarters there's no question suppressor is better (mini map invisibility is more valuable than hip fire IMO), mid range is a draw (pick whatever suits your play style and specific map most), and at long distances the flash suppressor is the clear winner.

2D2yW.png

tn2007

I wasn't sure of the specifics of the suppressor against the flash suppressor so I checked the stats.

Bullet spread is a bit better with the suppressor than with the flash suppressor on every stance, but recoils is a tiny bit higher. Also hip fire is worse with suppressor than with just flash suppressor by a more considerable margin.

I thought that the suppressor was better or the same when it comes to recoil probably because of the smaller bullet deviation when aiming. But that difference is really small at just 0.05.

The real recoil difference is even smaller at only 0.025, so I think it's almost negligible.

In the end, when it comes to aiming accuracy and recoil they are practically the same.

The real difference is indeed in the bullet drop and velocity which make the suppressor considerably weaker over longer distances.

It drops maximum damage to just until 4 meters instead of the usual 8, and minimum damage to 30 meters instead of 50. It's kinda like the difference of the heavy barrel improvements over a naked version of the same gun.

Going by the stats at 30 meters the difference between suppressor vs. flash to kill a guy is one and a half bullet. I think that's not too big for a skilled guy like you, specially when you consider the bonus of mini map firing invisibility.

So, I would say if you're engaging people usually at less than 30 meters (pretty far, on maps like Metro and Bazaar you hardly kill someone that far if you're not sniping) go with suppressor, if you're engaging more at farther than 30 meters (happens a lot on the B2K and vehicle maps) go with flash.

I'm just having too much fun with the suppressor on infantry maps. It makes skilled players who are used to look at the mini map easy targets like unskilled ones that have never noticed it.

If anyone is engaging people at close quarters there's no question suppressor is better (mini map invisibility is more valuable than hip fire IMO), mid range is a draw (pick whatever suits your play style and specific map most), and at long distances the flash suppressor is the clear winner.

2D2yW.png

Looking at the stats suppressor might be better for me on metro and bazaar but I would just keep the flash suppressor on other maps.

TheSeks

Call of Duty, here's one for you:

tracert hops and hops and hops and then suddenly consistantly dies in a certain area between me and the servers I'm hopping towards. Problem on the ISP's end or my end? (Wait, don't answer that: I already know it's on their end) and WHY.jpg is it a problem when they said they "fixed" it?

Damn, I feel sorry for the enemy guys last night in Bazar, they were so weak that everyone was base raping em, and I was there going back and forth in their deployment with my LAV. ^-^

olimpia84

From my experience burst fire weapons suck in BF3. I had a really though time with the KH2002 and the AN94 (I used burst fire for my first 291 kills...then I found out that the weapon actually had full auto) but then again more often than not I have this weird hit detection lag that makes it very hard to kill enemies with precision.

So I got to level 8 last night (X360) and I just wanted to try and get some pointers from you guys. I read the OP but this is more of a weapons issue. I played mostly Kirkland and CQ Maps last night and while I did decent, I felt absolutely terrible (I consider myself decent at FPS's); I'm switching between Assault and Engineer mostly (I like the faster fire rate on Engineer guns). It's also kind of hard to see lot's of enemies (I play on a 42" LED HDTV) I hope it's not just my eyes, lol.

Any pointers regarding weapons would be appreciated :)

I really enjoy the kh2002. The reload time is its only weakness. AN 94 is OK. It jams for me a lot in close quarters and gets very frustrating but I need to give it a try again. Right now jm enjoying the scar l way too much. Its a beast at long range.

Heavy barrel is a must have attachment for me on all my guns. The damage at range is significantly higher. It also increases bullet speed which helps a lot at long distance.p Can't use it with the mtar though. Recoil is way too high. Use the flash suppressor with it.

Evolved1

So I got to level 8 last night (X360) and I just wanted to try and get some pointers from you guys. I read the OP but this is more of a weapons issue. I played mostly Kirkland and CQ Maps last night and while I did decent, I felt absolutely terrible (I consider myself decent at FPS's); I'm switching between Assault and Engineer mostly (I like the faster fire rate on Engineer guns). It's also kind of hard to see lot's of enemies (I play on a 42" LED HDTV) I hope it's not just my eyes, lol.

Any pointers regarding weapons would be appreciated :)

Do you have any specific questions/issues about the weapons?

It's difficult to speak generally, because people have different playstyles and the nature of Battlefield matches is that circumstances are in constant flux. Imo, good players are those that adapt to the flow of the game and know what to do when, and when to use what.

But specific problems you are having (getting killed in CQB, not able to drop enemies at range, what attachments do, suggested loadouts) are the kinds of questions people can answer. Sometimes in detail: look at JJD's posts above... very scientific!

imo: for general advice, just play with gaffers. you'll pick up on good tendencies and learn a lot of their tricks.

Mazdarati

Neo Member
I honestly don't think TDM is the good place to do it.
Since most TDM maps are more open, you're going to have a harder time to land a good m320 shot. Maps with lots of narrow roads/straight corridors really are the way to go.

--------------
This video is essentially how I would use the m320:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-tzRWHaPV8

Go for aimed direct hits instead of explosive damage hits + abuse narrow hallways.

TDM on Canals with the M320 Buck will one shot kill at close range. Quick, easy way to rack up 20 M320 kills.
Reload time is long though....

I loved the AN-94 in BC2, but I have an odd glitch with it in BF3. Sometimes it will not go out of single-shot mode.

I had a weird glitch on Bazaar last night. I was killed, then revived, but I couldn't move from the spot. My gun would only fire while I was prone, although my character apparently looked like I was standing bent over at the waist with my face on the ground. I might have been invulnerable as well, as I killed a couple of people who ran at me and I should have been easy pickings. Maybe they were shooting at my "standing" body, when I was really laying on the ground?

TDM on Canals with the M320 Buck will one shot kill at close range. Quick, easy way to rack up 20 M320 kills.
Reload time is long though....

The scar-l assignment require underslug grenade launcher kill. Don't think the buck counts (could be wrong)

Is the game still pretty active on the PS3? I've been thinking about finally picking this game up after playing BC2 for hours on end.

As active as thiread is active.

Evolved1

You just cannot trust anyone that isn't a gaffer.

I'm moving up to recap a contested flag and there is a building with a blown out wall on my right. Inside this building, in the middle of the room, is a random teammate. I figure that my right flank is relatively safe and I put my attention to the flag ahead and all the open space to my left.

I get killed by a guy in the room with my teammate. This happens so goddamn much I'm beyond the point of frustration. It seems every time I try to approach a situation with a little faith in my teammates they constantly fuck me over.

I really wish they were still making real Ghost Recon games and I could play with the old community... people who generally knew how to play together and what a "squad" was. Even playing with gaffers we really don't play too much as a tight squad, but at least you can count on each other to play smart and cover. /rant

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
You just cannot trust anyone that isn't a gaffer.

I'm moving up to recap a contested flag and there is a building with a blown out wall on my right. Inside this building, in the middle of the room, is a random teammate. I figure that my right flank is relatively safe and I put my attention to the flag ahead and all the open space to my left.

I get killed by a guy in the room with my teammate. This happens so goddamn much I'm beyond the point of frustration. It seems every time I try to approach a situation with a little faith in my teammates they constantly fuck me over.

I really wish they were still making real Ghost Recon games and I could play with the old community... people who generally knew how to play together and what a "squad" was. Even playing with gaffers we really don't play too much as a tight squad, but at least you can count on each other to play smart and cover. /rant

....i.... MISS.... GRAW

TheSeks

From my experience burst fire weapons suck in BF3.

Me said:
THN said:
I don't know why seks and dawn don't use more burst fire weapons since they have high accuracy.

I can't speak for Dawn, but for me:

-Single shot vs full-auto fire mode: lose
-Burst fire vs full-auto fire mode: lose
-Full-auto vs Full-auto with "manual" burst at distances I deem bursts: win win win.

I really dunno why they added fire modes (oh, wait, yes I do: to please the PC community so they don't whine about it) since they're utterly USELESS on most maps and situations. That and the fire modes fuck up some guns like the AN-94 "jamming" in it's "signature two shot mode" before it was "fixed."

I had a really though time with the KH2002 and the AN94 (I used burst fire for my first 291 kills...then I found out that the weapon actually had full auto) but then again more often than not I have this weird hit detection lag that makes it very hard to kill enemies with precision.

Slap Heavy Barrel on the KH2002, never look back.

senador

Banned
Any of you guys rent servers? Are they hard to keep filled? Considering getting one so I can have normal settings, choose maps, and not have to server hunt every time I play.

Top Bottom