• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

God I havent played BF3 in forever...I've been too ashamed to play since I dont have premium/the new map packs.

Are you all still playing regularly?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
God I havent played BF3 in forever...I've been too ashamed to play since I dont have premium/the new map packs.

Are you all still playing regularly?

If you have Vanilla+B2K then you'll be playing 99% of what we do... hardly anyone ever plays the new maps.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
im that guy on noshar that snipes on top of the crane :3

You are a bastard and I hate you. Go die
from my rifle at the trains

Dream said:
Well, here's the thing - TDM really isn't as chaotic as you think:

1)On most maps, there are certain spots people won't ever randomly spawn into:

Examples:
Kharg Island TDM -> No one ever spawns inside the building.
Norshar TDM -> US will never spawn near the train tracks (but can on the stairs). Russians will never spawn near the edge of the harbor. (ex: the little shed near the C flag/russian conquest base entrance = safe)

Calling Shenanigans. Because I have done it numerous times.

TDM's spawns are WEIGHTED. Just like most other TDM spawns. They're weighted by "zones"/team areas. If enemies flock into those zones/team zones, it WILL spawn you in theirs.

And TDM's maps are again: too small. You're right in that people focus on the center, and that's exactly WHY a motion sensor isn't needed. You know where the people are. You get 10 points per kill if your sensor stays up. Whoopie?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Had to jump off dudes... something came up.

TDM's spawns are WEIGHTED. Just like most other TDM spawns. They're weighted by "zones"/team areas. If enemies flock into those zones/team zones, it WILL spawn you in theirs.

And TDM's maps are again: too small. You're right in that people focus on the center, and that's exactly WHY a motion sensor isn't needed. You know where the people are. You get 10 points per kill if your sensor stays up. Whoopie?

You have a vague, general idea, that people will likely be in the middle.

A sensor tells you not only exactly where and how many are in the middle (or wherever) but also the direction they are currently facing and their movement.

Not quite the same thing. And does anyone really use sensors for the points?

You are reading my post wrong.
1)
I never said the team can't switch sides, but they will never spawn PAST a certain point.
A.k.A. The very outer edges of the map.

Just go watch a few TDM matches. Even though the spawn selection is random, the premise/area of which you spawn in is always the same. You will never be at the very edge of the map. Even when teams shift sides, they will never spawn past that set area.

Take a look at this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8fUMOZn9Tw
People will never spawn as far back as the shed at 0:42 or even down the hill next to it. There are spots that people will just almost never look at at all (hence why I can keep a MAV up without ever getting killed.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-LIA4RaJb8 < at 3:33, the first track area is the most outer area that people will spawn in, even though there are still plenty of "Edge" space left.

The same goes for many other maps, you can actually turn around go further back, and place a spawn beacon at the shed. You'll never have to random spawn again, and most of the time no one will ever notice it cause they're unlikely to look back. The same concept is used in Metro Conquest. If the Russians has the A flag, you can place a beacon near the edge of the Russian spawn and annoy people to no end. People rarely notice, cause it's not natural to look/assume there's a spawn beacon at that position.

2) So we agree that that are there are "zones" to bf3's TDM. As also posted here:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654348024319125/

The control of these zones will allow "spawn trappings" and unfair matches in TDM to occur (ex: If you can't get across to the other side of Tehran, to "domoniate the zone" then you would never ever spawn in there.) In that sense, territory control is equally important. For the many GAF TDM games where we're able to keep the enemies within the harbor side, it wouldn't have happened without a motion sensor up to manually spot the people around the edges (see original post)

TheSeks

You have a vague, general idea, that people will likely be in the middle.

A sensor tells you not only exactly where and how many are in the middle (or wherever) but also the direction they are currently facing and their movement.

Not quite the same thing. And does anyone really use sensors for the points?

No. I have knowledge that they do, after playing 200+ TDM rounds on all the vanilla maps (granted, not B2K because B2K's TDM modes outright suck ass). They stick to the middle because that's where the action is. And given the chaos in the middle it does not matter what the mini-map says in terms of surviving. You can have a sensor/T-UGS in the middle of those boxes in Norshal and it doesn't matter. There WILL be five enemies coming from any direction you can't face at the moment because that's the nature of the map and mode.

@Dream: No, what causes "spawn trapping" in TDM is crossing invisible lines. There's a split line where most of the enemy is over it, you spawn on their side. And vice-versa. I have been in games where beacons aren't used but camping in "enemy territory" to force them to spawn in your area is where you can kill them easily.

And using a beacon in a rarely traveled place is "okay, I spawned in an area and can die in five seconds after placing a beacon again. Yay?"

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Lost connection to EA servers 6+ times tonight.

I stopped playing this game for a good few months because i was over the issues. Not so happy to see that they're still screwin up. :\

tn2007

not this again...

What? Im agreeing with seks and everyone else that thinks recons is better than assault on metro. Im pretty sure if our team was all recon we would of won that match. As always I'm the dumbass that plays assault and now I finally learnt my lesson. So I apologize to JJD, ejas, and Dan for not playing recon that game. For now on if we play on metro conquest I will be the recon class and we should win 100% of the time.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
What? Im agreeing with seks and everyone else that thinks recons is better than assault on metro. Im pretty sure if our team was all recon we would of won that match. As always I'm the dumbass that plays assault and now I finally learnt my lesson. So I apologize to JJD, ejas, and Dan for not playing recon that game. For now on if we play on metro conquest I will be the recon class and we should win 100% of the time.

I wouldn't say recon is the best class. It's really how you play and how you compliment your team mates/team.

it wouldn't matter what class anyone played in that game when the rest of the team doesn't cap flags, doesn't protect flags, doesn't shoot at enemies, doesn't play in squads, doesn't spot, etc... it was basically 6 on 12

tn2007

it wouldn't matter what class anyone played in that game when the rest of the team doesn't cap flags, doesn't protect flags, doesn't shoot at enemies, doesn't play in squads, doesn't spot, etc... it was basically 6 on 12

With 3 recons you don't have to spot because you have tugs/mavs. And recons cap flags better than any class because of tugs/mavs and spawn beacons. Recons also promote playing as squad with the spawn beacon. So if we had 12 recons we would of definately won.

What you really want to complain about is people not changing classes to meet the squad's needs and balance.
I mean I can complain about gaffers all in vehicles and losing a conquest game, and do you think anyone would take me seriously? HAHAHAHA (smh)
Besides, just because you got MVP pin doesn't make you right or mean anyone will listen to you!

But whatever *prepares popcorn for thn sekoku battle*

@Seks: well, tell that to games where I've had with Faceless where we just push people into the harbor area but never going inside. With the MAV up, the enemies never got out of the harbor, and never spawned on the other side. You leave enough room, and they just spawn in the same area over and over.

TheSeks

But whatever *prepares popcorn for thn sekoku battle*

Nope. THN is trollin' and being stupid because Me/You are having an argument over recons being useful in Team DEATHMATCH. Whereas the argument between me and him was in OBJECTIVE (AKA: More important) modes. Not taking the bait and I think he's an idiot for even going down that road. So whatever.

@Seks: well, tell that to games where I've had with Faceless where we just push people into the harbor area but never going inside. With the MAV up, the enemies never got out of the harbor, and never spawned on the other side. You leave enough room, and they just spawn in the same area over and over.

I'm sure it's possible, but like I said: TDM is WEIGHTED spawns and I've had spawns spawn me in enemy territory and enemies in my teams territory over and over again because "trapping" is possible but "impossible" to do in general because there's "lines" for the weighted spawn to gauge where to spawn you.

(and IIRC TDM doesn't allow you to spawn on peoples beacons. At least it doesn't for me?)

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/57945062/4/204719829/

This game here proves why RECON IS THE BEST CLASS. Fuck the assault class because spawn beacons and tugs>>>>>>>>>>>revives and smoke. if only I was a recon too and we could of had 4 recons in the same squad. How boss would that of been? I forgot how all the top level clans used recons over medics. If your not playing recon on metro than your obviously a noob.

Lol. Recon is never the best class.

Nope. THN is trollin' and being stupid because Me/You are having an argument over recons being useful in Team DEATHMATCH. Whereas the argument between me and him was in OBJECTIVE (AKA: More important) modes. Not taking the bait and I think he's an idiot for even going down that road. So whatever.

1) You actually argue with him that recon>assault. Even though other player agree that it's dependent on the situation/squad/team structure.

I'm sure it's possible, but like I said: TDM is WEIGHTED spawns and I've had spawns spawn me in enemy territory and enemies in my teams territory over and over again because "trapping" is possible but "impossible" to do in general because there's "lines" for the weighted spawn to gauge where to spawn you.

(and IIRC TDM doesn't allow you to spawn on peoples beacons. At least it doesn't for me?)

2)
WOW MAN.
How can we even have this argument when you're not even clear about the details like this? You can spawn on beacons in TDM, you just can't spawn on squad. For one thing, the beacon is insanely useful in Crossing, where you can always have a safe spawn in one of the shops near bridge (across from where the sunk boat is for Crossing Rush 2B)

Eliminating the randomness of spawning in TDM is like the most important thing to me.

Anyway, moving back to the topic.
It is "possible" to spawn trap the enemies on certain maps, as long as you keep it so that enemies never cross that "invisible line". They will keep spawning in the same area and never flip to any other side. The spawn system isn't "totally chaotic" as you say, otherwise would be backstab marathon (and again, I would never be able to pull off MAV runs.)

Read the battlelog post that I linked earlier also:
http://http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654348024319125/

tn2007

Lol no I was genuine about being piss about having two or more recons in my squad. The fact that you guys are arguing about TDM and recons makes you guys idiots to me. Who the fuck cares about TDM strategies in battlefield lol. The fact that you were talking about TDM/recon made it even more trollable.

Anyways yes dream you are right I should be more mad at the fact that JJD and ejas stayed recon instead of switching classes to better suit our need. Its so annoying to watch myself kill 2-3 guys, only to watch them chain revive. Than I get killed and no one is there to revive me. I want people to understand how to play metro conquest and that's why I bring up this argument.

JJD

THN you're coming with all kind of excuses but there's no denying that the other team was just plain better than ours.

Their randoms were just better, there's no argument there, and those TCO guys were at least on our level, maybe better. It's hard to judge considering the teams were not evenly balanced.

What use a whole squad of assault players have if they're spawning at base every time since we didn't have a single flag? Do you really believe the res train could have survived until we arrived at C specially considering that half their team was smart and protected B like pitbulls even when they managed to capture A?

With my ping the way it is I couldn't do shit to help the team since I lost probably all 1 on 1 fights I had, so I just tried to stay alive and provide a spawn point between B and C.

I probably should just have left so someone with a decent connection could join you guys, but the level of the randoms we were getting didn't inspire me confidence.

No matter how good you or we are we can't carry a whole team on our back against an overall better team. I mean we have done that in the past but it's not something we can pull consistently, this is not Call of Duty.

Besides Faceless the rest of the squads on our team did nothing and couldn't even hold A while we tried to capture C.

tn2007

THN you're coming with all kind of excuses but there's no denying that the other team was just plain better than ours.

Their randoms were just better, there's no argument there, and those TCO guys were at least on our level, maybe better. It's hard to judge considering the teams were not evenly balanced.

What use a whole squad of assault players have if they're spawning at base every time since we didn't have a single flag? Do you really believe the res train could have survived until we arrived at C specially considering that half their team was smart and protected B like pitbulls even when they managed to capture A?

With my ping the way it is I couldn't do shit to help the team since I lost probably all 1 on 1 fights I had, so I just tried to stay alive and provide a spawn point between B and C.

I probably should just have left so someone with a decent connection could join you guys, but the level of the randoms we were getting didn't inspire me confidence.

No matter how good you or we are we can't carry a whole team on our back against an overall better team. I mean we have done that in the past but it's not something we can pull consistently, this is not Call of Duty.

Besides Faceless the rest of the squads on our team did nothing and couldn't even hold A while we tried to capture C.

Were they the better team or did they have the better strategy? They lost on canals the next round. And I don't want to hear it was because bkak and patriot joined. Because we had two flags, soon to be 3 and a slight lead before I got disconnected. I do believe they had a smarter team but better I don't know since I felt like you didn't play up to your potential. Yes I think if we had 3 assaults we would of faired way better than a 540 ticket loss.

Now look at the TCO guys and what class did they play? Assault, all four of them. Why do I bring this up? Because their squad dictated the flow of the game. They played metro exactly how I would of. Play a reserve role and attack when needed. Revive everyone to hold objectives and push forward. Hold a line and pick off players. The same exact thing I tell everyone here to do on metro.

http://bf3stats.com/report/ps3/57945062#Crimess
Their squad alone had atleast 40!! Revives. While our TEAM had 20 lol.

And why the heck where you sitting around B and C when you were a recon? Place a beacon and help us out!! Your one of the top GAF players and I felt you wasted your skills sitting there instead of helping us take and hold objectives.

U2NUMB

So anyone else here have their server jacked up over the weekend? Seems hundreds of 360 servers are stuck and not able to be published and while DICE and EA admit there is an issue they have done nothing more than ask for patience.

Edit: Ha.. I knew posting about it would do the trick. Seems they have finally fixed the issue on the back end.

JJD

Were they the better team or did they have the better strategy? They lost on canals the next round. And I don't want to hear it was because bkak and patriot joined. Because we had two flags, soon to be 3 and a slight lead before I got disconnected. I do believe they had a smarter team but better I don't know since I felt like you didn't play up to your potential. Yes I think if we had 3 assaults we would of faired way better than a 540 ticket loss.

Now look at the TCO guys and what class did they play? Assault, all four of them. Why do I bring this up? Because their squad dictated the flow of the game. They played metro exactly how I would of. Play a reserve role and attack when needed. Revive everyone to hold objectives and push forward. Hold a line and pick off players. The same exact thing I tell everyone here to do on metro.

And why the heck where you sitting around B and C when you were a recon? Place a beacon and help us out!! Your one of the top GAF players and I felt you wasted your skills sitting there instead of helping us take and hold objectives.

We only won that game because 3 of the TCO guys quit. And believe it or not Maverick helped us a lot with his little bird, taking out tanks, soldiers and even capturing flags (I always freak out when he tries to do that!). We had another good heli pilot but I don't know if it was Patriots (I know he can pilot pretty well) anyway I'm glad they joined and I do believe they were key players on that win.

We have discussed this and if I remember right you don't agree but good aggressive little bird pilots are a must if you want to win as the americans on Canals IMO.

My problem on that metro game was not that I was playing recon or hiding in the back it was my 400ms ping. I played assault for a bit and I was having trouble reviving people for God's sake, it just wouldn't work. I tried capturing C and miraculously I even killed some people but in the end I would just get slaughtered.

So I just tried to stay alive behind the enemy lines to provide a spawn point. I placed a beacon multiple times but they always managed to find it. So I decided to hide but unfortunately I was rushed by 3 guys on my hiding spot after all you guys spawned on me a couple times and the enemy realized that either a beacon or someone was hiding in the subway tunnels under B.

On the matter of metro strategies you know at least one recon is needed to place a sensor on backstairs, but another sensor on front stairs is not a bad tactic.

On that amazing metro victory against those 2 clans a couple weeks back only you and Boa were playing assault, Hunting, Ejas and me were playing recon and Dave was providing everyone ammo as support. We had a good class balance IMO.

We were not playing that bad strategically speaking with a squad of two recons and two assaults.

Could we have fared a little better with one more assault? Maybe, but I doubt it. In the end discussing this it's futile because we would have lost anyway. There was no way for the five of us to carry a weak team like that.

http://bf3stats.com/report/ps3/57945062#Crimess
Their squad alone had atleast 40!! Revives. While our TEAM had 20 lol.

i dunno if you want to call it 'better team' or 'better strategy' but they were better, and even if all 4 of you were assault, they still would have won with the rest of our team sitting on their thumbs and walking into gunshots.

So anyone else here have their server jacked up over the weekend? Seems hundreds of 360 servers are stuck and not able to be published and while DICE and EA admit there is an issue they have done nothing more than ask for patience.

Edit: Ha.. I knew posting about it would do the trick. Seems they have finally fixed the issue on the back end.

but will they credit the time lost!?!?

tn2007

On the matter of metro strategies you know at least one recon is needed to place a sensor on backstairs, but another sensor on front stairs is not a bad tactic.

On that amazing metro victory against those 2 clans a couple weeks back only you and Boa were playing assault, Hunting, Ejas and me were playing recon and Dave was providing everyone ammo as support. We had a good class balance IMO.

We were not playing that bad strategically speaking with a squad of two recons and two assaults.

Could we have fared a little better with one more assault? Maybe, but I doubt it. In the end discussing this it's futile because we would have lost anyway. There was no way for the five of us to carry a weak team like that.

Point 1. Yes you can have a sensor on the back stairs IF YOU HAVE THAT FLAG. They had all three flags and you guys played recon.

Point 2. No you weren't playing bad strategically at the beginning of the round but after they had 2 or more flags it's smart to change up to a more agressive flag taking tactic.

Point 3. The game we won way back was due to our group defending well and the fact that we HAD B FLAG. Which allowed you to setup your beacons. And by the way they still got pass you guys. And smoke hides you from your tugs for your information.

So your saying if we had 3 medics instead of 1.5 we would of still lost by 520 tickets? Really dude? Do I really have to post top clan battles to show you how much medic whoring metro helps out? Not one top clan will have 2-3 recons in on SQUAD because it's a waste of a squad. They will have one at most per squad. The point of having medics is to keep your squad mates up while defending and capturing a flag. Would you rather be by yourself and know 4 guys are coming up the stairs or would you rather have 4 squad mates there with you playing defense? I'll take having 4 guys over knowing exactly what everyone already knows and that's they are coming back stairs.

Point 1. Yes you can have a sensor on the back stairs IF YOU HAVE THAT FLAG. They had all three flags and you guys played recon.

Point 2. No you weren't playing bad strategically at the beginning of the round but after they had 2 or more flags it's smart to change up to a more agressive flag taking tactic.

Point 3. The game we won way back was due to our group defending well and the fact that we HAD B FLAG. Which allowed you to setup your beacons. And by the way they still got pass you guys. And smoke hides you from your tugs for your information.

So your saying if we had 3 medics instead of 1.5 we would of still lost by 520 tickets? Really dude? Do I really have to post top clan battles to show you how much medic whoring metro helps out? Not one top clan will have 2-3 recons in on SQUAD because it's a waste of a squad. They will have one at most per squad. The point of having medics is to keep your squad mates up while defending and capturing a flag. Would you rather be by yourself and know 4 guys are coming up the stairs or would you rather have 4 squad mates there with you playing defense? I'll take having 4 guys over knowing exactly what everyone already knows and that's they are coming back stairs.
You lost a round, get over it.

JJD

I hope you understand that I'm not saying recon > assault. I'll not get into that discussion because that's a matter of personal preference no matter how many stats are throw into the discussion.

I just want to point that a recon with a spawn beacon on either A or C can be invaluable on a difficult metro game where you don't have B for most if not all of the game. I don't really have a problem if it's one or two recons.

Also does it matter by how many points we lose a game? A defeat is a defeat, you once said that you don't care about MVP only about the victory and really there was no way for us to win that game with only 4 gaffers (I'm not even counting myself I just couldn't do shit on that game) and randoms like that who couldn't even hold A while you and the guys were fighting half the enemy team trying to capture C.

I know a lot of "pro" clans and players whore assault like there's no tomorrow but I'm not into one of those clans, and I'm not one of those players. I enjoy trying different guns and classes. It helps keep the game fresh to me.

I've said here that one of the easiest ways to make PS3 GAF improve as a team was by enforcing roles like so many clans does, that's not much different than what you're saying, that we should have played assault because it could be much more effective. But I've also said that if that were to happen I wouldn't be playing with GAF that much because I would not like to be stuck in a class/role.

I think I'll just take a break from the game until my connection is fixed or at least until the next DLC arrives. I can manage the big maps or average players but playing like this is just painful specially on infantry maps or against good players.

There's no way I can help or contribute to the team with almost a 30 seconds lag in the game.

tn2007

I just want to point that a recon with a spawn beacon on either A or C can be invaluable on a difficult metro game where you don't have B for most if not all of the game. I don't really have a problem if it's one or two recons.

Also does it matter by how many points we lose a game? A defeat is a defeat, you once said that you don't care about MVP only about the victory and really there was no way for us to win that game with only 4 gaffers.

I've said here that one of the easiest ways to make PS3 GAF improve as a team was by enforcing roles like so many clans does, that's not much different than what you're saying, that we should have played assault because it could be much more effective. But I've also said that if that were to happen I wouldn't be playing with GAF that much because I would not like to be stuck in a class/role.

We will never know if we would of won because it's in the past. I'm just trying to inform people that a 3 man squad of recons does not help as much as a 3 man squad of assaults on metro in my opinion.

Your class/role thing is BS JJD. Because I've only mentioned it on metro conquest that I prefer more medics to recon. When you bring up that BS I could bring up the times you told people here to use certain guns for certain ranges. Or when you told me to use suppressor over flash suppressor. I understand you were just giving me tips to help me out so I don't understand why you can't see I'm just doing the same.

If you and three other GAF members want to be recon in the same squad go ahead and I'll just switch squads. No biggie, but please don't give me some BS that if GAF enforced classes that you wouldn't play. In the end I love to play with you guys and I just want you guys to improve. So if I come off as an asshole it's probably because I am and because I care.

lol he mad

qYgsL.png

tn2007

Thanks Dan for this Info

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2832654784609792799/

Don’t miss the live stream tomorrow of the EA Summer Showcase, featuring new info and assets from Armored Kill as presented by Lead Designer Niklas Fegraeus!

The event is streamed by EA.COM, so make sure to head to their broadcast page and set up a reminder for when the event starts: http://www.ea.com/1/summer-showcase

The events starts at 1PM PST. If you want to know what that equates to in your home town, just check out this super handy time matrix: http://bit.ly/NJ8bNF

Top Bottom