• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
it's because people whined so DICE nerfed it... not that it was great before, but now it's really bad.

I dunno, it's not bad on Metro Rush first set to counter C4 on crates. Of course, I lagged that game and we lost because people kept arming and no one wanted to rush into the building/throw grenades and hold it while I was lagging but hey... Calion and I tried. (And then I swore not to play the game until either Vehicles DLC and/or connection is fixed. Whichever first.)

raindoc

Mortar is useless.

Was in a rush game attacking Metro last week. Got to the final m-com (near the bus in front of defender's spawn) and the other team had beacons near/were hanging out directly around the crate, so I figured "this seems like an instance where the mortar may actually be helpful, and also that medal. Only need like 200 more kills!"

Despite being out in the middle of the street for what seemed like 10 minutes of uninterrupted shelling (and somehow not getting whacked)--zero kills. Markers galore, couple assists but not one kill. Felt stupid. What am I doing? Why?

IMHO the only thing the mortar is still useful for is taking out enemies that are entrenched in a small area (obviously without a roof over their head) - too much open space to cover in Metro.
i only use the mortar when:
*attacking a heavily defended "B" flag on Grand Bazaar Conquest (dropping shells inside the courtyards and next to the flag) or
*attacking "B" m-com (first set) on Seine Crossing Rush. we all know that m-com can be a pain in the ass, especially due to the machine-gunners on the container next to the m-com: mortar them.

mortaring "B" flag is the most effective way to use the post patch mortar IMHO. due to the intense firefights, RPGs and grenades that are flying around that flag, there's a high concentration of wounded enemies you can finish off with the mortar and score double- and triple-kills.

Mortar is useless.

Was in a rush game attacking Metro last week. Got to the final m-com (near the bus in front of defender's spawn) and the other team had beacons near/were hanging out directly around the crate, so I figured "this seems like an instance where the mortar may actually be helpful, and also that medal. Only need like 200 more kills!"

Despite being out in the middle of the street for what seemed like 10 minutes of uninterrupted shelling (and somehow not getting whacked)--zero kills. Markers galore, couple assists but not one kill. Felt stupid. What am I doing? Why?

Well, you're helping the team by clearing the surrounding area.
So the opposing team will feel discouraged and blinded from staying around the m-com.
Not rewarding at all, but sometimes useful

Tc91

Got the urge to play Battlefield 3 for a while but lacking Premium I feel like I'm missing out on a lot.

Is it worth the price?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Got the urge to play Battlefield 3 for a while but lacking Premium I feel like I'm missing out on a lot.

Is it worth the price?

Got B2k and CQS? No

Got B2k but not CQS? ehh... depends if you like small shitty maps. (Yes, I think they are horrible)

Got neither?
Yes

Tc91

Got B2k and CQS? No

Got B2k but not CQS? ehh... depends if you like small shitty maps. (Yes, I think they are horrible)

Got neither?
Yes

Forgot to mention, I have B2k.

That's alot of stuff coming out though and it'd probably get me to come back again and again.

JJD

IMHO the only thing the mortar is still useful for is taking out enemies that are entrenched in a small area (obviously without a roof over their head

This.

Mortar is really great on the first set of Seine on the B mcom if the whole enemy team in entrenched there.

jayb

Has anyone here bought Premium on a PSN sub-account?

I normally buy everything on my main account, but play games using a sub (which is also what is linked to my battlelog account). So if I just add funds to the main account, but then buy Premium from my sub-account's store, will everything link correctly (i.e. queue priority, double XP events, etc.)?

I understand that I'll be able to play the maps on any account on my ps3, but I just want to make sure that the extra premium features can be linked to my sub-account.

TheSeks

BROFIST?

Neat maps that are mired in shit modes (I like Conquest but I absolutely LOATHE what they've done with it on consoles past BC1 and 1943) and low player count. :(

LogicStep

I need to get better at this game. I'm not very good and always getting killed from somewhere I'm not looking. :/

Playing on PC. Any recomendations on what server to play in? Where do you guys hang out at?

TheSeks

*likes conquest*

*doesn't like wake island 5-flag*

smh

Wait, what?

I like Wake Island 5-flag. Just not BF3's rendition of it.

I like 1943's "run for the border"/players start at the carrier and have to boat/plane it across the map to take as many points as they can quickly before it becomes a fire-fight.

I don't like BF3's flag placement too much (it's natural to BF1943/1942's flag placement but a little... off) nor do I like it being Conquest Assault. It kinda spits in the face of normal/run for the border Conquest's spirit.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I need to get better at this game. I'm not very good and always getting killed from somewhere I'm not looking. :/

Playing on PC. Any recomendations on what server to play in? Where do you guys hang out at?

If you're trying to be a team player and cover objectives... you'll usually be killed from the flank, or behind, or by guys you didn't see/wouldn't expect to be in a certain area at a certain time.

It can be frustrating and generally highlights how you can't really count on teammates to cover each other (best you can hope for is a revive - which gaf is pretty good about) just part of the game.

Sometimes helps if people are on the mic calling out contacts...

But playing the objective wins games. So I'll take 5-6 cheesy deaths if it means top squad and a win.

Also... this is the console thread.

LogicStep

If you're trying to be a team player and cover objectives... you'll usually be killed from the flank, or behind, or by guys you didn't see/wouldn't expect to be in a certain area at a certain time.

It can be frustrating and generally highlights how you can't really count on teammates to cover each other (best you can hope for is a revive - which gaf is pretty good about) just part of the game.

Sometimes helps if people are on the mic calling out contacts...

But playing the objective wins games. So I'll take 5-6 cheesy deaths if it means top squad and a win.

Also... this is the console thread.
Oops didn't realize lol thx!

Rebel Leader

8772f1aa-dba8-4d19-91e7-223b33b4a54b.png

0pPVc.gif

TheSeks

I bet he Likes 5 flag 1943 WAKE CONQUEST

You're goddamn right. I loved getting into a plane, going up to stale distance (was there even a stall limit in 1943?) bailing. Free-falling for a minute, parachute deploying and melee stabbing someone in the face and taking a flag while the rest of my team was on the other side of the island battling people that were trying to defend their two flag lead.

That shit is AWESOME.

AlexBasch

Is it worth the price?
Was about to ask something like that. I have Battlefield 3 on PC but a) I'm way too shit at it, PC players are way above my level and b) My PC doesn't run it that well, so I thought of picking up the Xbox version.

Would I still get to play some matches with the vanilla version or do I absolutely need Premium to be able to play online? If that's the latter I might avoid it, since the $50 paywall is way above me.

Kak.efes

I got my first EOD bot kill earlier tonight as part of that assignment on my first try, figured it'd be a lot more difficult.

Also, it was fun getting NoStyle kills in the passenger seat on the Little Bird. I got in close enough to where he'd pick people off with his gun.

Wait, what?

I like Wake Island 5-flag. Just not BF3's rendition of it.

I like 1943's "run for the border"/players start at the carrier and have to boat/plane it across the map to take as many points as they can quickly before it becomes a fire-fight.

I don't like BF3's flag placement too much (it's natural to BF1943/1942's flag placement but a little... off) nor do I like it being Conquest Assault. It kinda spits in the face of normal/run for the border Conquest's spirit.

That's Conquest ASSULT

I bet he Likes 5 flag 1943 WAKE CONQUEST

Wake Island was made for Conquest Assault, the 1943 Conquest Head-On variant is an outlier.

Rebel Leader

Was about to ask something like that. I have Battlefield 3 on PC but a) I'm way too shit at it, PC players are way above my level and b) My PC doesn't run it that well, so I thought of picking up the Xbox version.

Would I still get to play some matches with the vanilla version or do I absolutely need Premium to be able to play online? If that's the latter I might avoid it, since the $50 paywall is way above me.

on the ps3, I still see vanilla map rotations.

Let me double check sometime later today.

BoatAck

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Did anyone even USE the AA guns in 1943?

They did. Good pilots were able to avoid them, but you could still lure them close by jumping in when they got close enough or after they made their pass. The AA at the village and the signal station were good for taking out the bombing raid.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Lol at aftermath... yeah this is what the maps would look like if we still actually had destruction in the game. Since we don't anymore, we'll cosmetically change the maps for you so it feels like we still do!!! That'll be $15 bitches.

Rebel Leader

Lol at aftermath... yeah this is what the maps would look like if we still actually had destruction in the game. Since we don't anymore, we'll cosmetically change the maps for you so it feels like we still do!!! That'll be $15 bitches.

or AKA wait for bad company

September 4th for PS3 premium users and September 11th for PC / Xbox 360 premium users

Seanspeed

Banned
Assuming I wont have help from teammates, whats the best way to take down a chopper with an ECM jammer?

Also, whats the best strategy for getting the EOD bot kill?

Assuming I wont have help from teammates, whats the best way to take down a chopper with an ECM jammer?

press start. quit game.

find someone on a mortar.

A new version of Battlefield 3, the Battlefield 3 Premium Edition, will arrive this September, executive producer Patrick Bach announced during EA's Gamescom press conference. As the title implies, the Premium Edition includes a membership to the Battlefield Premium service which, in turn, grants access to new expansions, including Back to Karkand, Close Quarters, and the upcoming Armored Kill, End Game and Aftermath.

The Premium Edition also features the "Multiplayer Head Start Kit," which includes "15 different weapons, gadgets and vehicle upgrades." The Battlefield 3 Premium Edition will launch on PC, Xbox and PS3 this September for $70 in North America, €60 in Europe and £50 in the UK.
oh snap!

...so what? I paid only $8 more with the full game + Premium

oh, i'm not upset, but i know some people will be.

$64.19 Battlefield 3 Limited Edition - Xbox 360
$27.10 Battlefield 3 Premium - Xbox 360 (2000 Microsoft Points + already had 2000 points available)
$29.96 Battlefield 3 Limited Edition - PlayStation 3 (Walmart Black Friday w00t!)
$52.98 Battlefield 3 Premium + SPECACT Kit & Dog Tag Bundle - PlayStation 3

i'm pretty happy with my purchases.

TheSeks

That night map is HNNNNG. I just wish it would look that good for me in the wild. :(

Also Aftermath is double HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG. Love destroyed buildings. DO WANT TO SEE MORE. ;___;

patapuf

The only effective way to take down air alone is using a plane/chopper yourself. or the stationary AA gun in the base.

that said, it's easy to kill a chopper with 2 people.

Top Bottom