• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Nori Chan

I swear, I have a collective total of 10 kills with my stinger and igla combined

And aren't these patch notes old as fuck? Why are people just noticing them

Mazdarati

Neo Member
Thats what I call a change, wonderful, absolutly wonderful:

i am delighted, finally evens out the odds.

Considering flares only worked half the time anyway, how does this even up the odds exactly?

They were already relatively easy to take down with teamwork.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Pretty much. I don't understand why people couldn't coordinate and use the Jav/SOFLAM combo. Now the choppers are nearly worthless.

Ridiculous.
Don't forget the tanks' soflam thing

Considering flares only worked half the time anyway, how does this even up the odds exactly?

They were already relatively easy to take down with teamwork.

I take out choppers that have both with a plane (without crashing into them)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Actually that flare change on helicopters has been NEEDED since launch. I don't care if "flares only work half the time" I've been in games where I can lock-on, flare pop someone. Lock-on again and half them flare again. Only to re-lock flare pop because they're staggering their flares/reloads. They are right in the fact that helicopters were impossible to take down with lock-on weapons because of it.

Now people will have to get close to the ground/under the radar AND take out the lock-on people instead of just popping flares constantly. Maybe now people will use IRNV
live I've been doing for a few months
in the gunner seat since it was 20x better to have than flares if the pilot knew when to fold them and run away, anyway.

Also the fourth seat in the Magnum PI helicopter finally having a use is good. Totally was useless otherwise.

Rebel Leader

Actually that flare change on helicopters has been NEEDED since launch. I don't care if "flares only work half the time" I've been in games where I can lock-on, flare pop someone. Lock-on again and half them flare again. Only to re-lock flare pop because they're staggering their flares/reloads. They are right in the fact that helicopters were impossible to take down with lock-on weapons because of it.

e7P1G.gif

TheSeks

http://i.imgur.com/e7P1G.gif

How many people have you taken down with the Stinger? Honest question. And now how many people have you taken down AS A TEAM (2+ people) with the Stinger?

Yeah, staggering flares was broken and needed to go since launch. The fact DICE now is finally getting around to it is both good AND bad.

Once you have under the radar you really shouldn't even be needing to use the flares. The fact that staggered flares + UTR were combined was completely bonkers.

Rebel Leader

How many people have you taken down with the Stinger? Honest question. And now how many people have you taken down AS A TEAM (2+ people) with the Stinger?

Yeah, staggering flares was broken and needed to go since launch. The fact DICE now is finally getting around to it is both good AND bad.

Once you have under the radar you really shouldn't even be needing to use the flares. The fact that staggered flares + UTR were combined was completely bonkers.

...And how many people on GAF used Stingers exclusively to take down choppers?

0. Because Stingers were fucking USELESS even with the buff because of UTR + staggering flares

STINGER? what the fuck is that? it's Tank with guided shell and Javlins' are the new things now

TheSeks

"Maybe if you had GAF friends....."

0. Because Stingers were fucking USELESS even with the buff because of UTR + staggering flares

it's Tank with guided shell and Javlins' are the new things now

Which we aren't talking about with the lock-on change since lock-on with the SOFLAM abilities aren't really gonna be effected too strongly in this change because 1) no one uses the SOFLAM and 2) no one uses the Javelin ON the SOFLAM.
True fact. Don't even bring up "LOL GAF" because even GAF doesn't use my SOFLAM when I can pretty much lock on to starting spawns with the SOFLAM

TheSeks

Who needs guided shells and stingers when you have RPGs ;)

Well, with this change you'll be see more low flying choppers with UTR so good for you I guess.
Bad for me since I can't hit air vehicles with unguided RPGs AT ALL.

Which we aren't talking about with the lock-on change since lock-on with the SOFLAM abilities aren't really gonna be effected too strongly in this change because 1) no one uses the SOFLAM and 2) no one uses the Javelin ON the SOFLAM. True fact. Don't even bring up "LOL GAF" because even GAF doesn't use my SOFLAM when I can pretty much lock on to starting spawns with the SOFLAM

360GAF > PS3GAF

THERE! I said it!

Lakitu

st5fu
I find it much easier to take down helicopters with RPG / SMAW since most helicopters seem to come low. Feels good man. Sometimes it takes some luck though. I did manage to RPG a jet twice, once when a jet was stuck inside a building on Gulf of Oman and the other time it was pure luck after a jet swooped down and I was aiming for a chopper.

TheSeks

It's not even a 360 vs PS3 thing. No one uses the SOFLAM and when people do use the SOFLAM no one uses Javelin's to lock-on. It's not a platform specific/team specific thing, it's a community thing.

I've gone ENTIRE rounds with "target designated 10" ... "target designated 10" ... "target designated 10" with no bonus "designated target hit 70" messages. ENTIRE. ROUNDS. Maybe this will make people use SOFLAM/CITV and Javelins to where DICE will knee jerk change that in addition to the (useless) Stingers, but the helicopters were impossible to take down with the flare/ECM in gunner seat issue and I'm glad DICE is addressing it.

I swear, I have a collective total of 10 kills with my stinger and igla combined

And aren't these patch notes old as fuck? Why are people just noticing them

most of the gun balance changes were on a proposed list. a lof ot the other stuff wasn't.

PS3/Xbox 360 specific: Added map rotation settings to preset list in detailed server info. Players can now see all relevant settings that are being run on the server.
OH SNAP!

TheSeks

WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOES THAT MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!??!

EVEN TICKET AMOUNT!!?

Hopefully, but hopefully better reporting of next map. The fact that next map in details could be something different from the next map you get is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

Mazdarati

Neo Member
100 Stinger
103 IGLA

You're speaking as though you have little time in an attack chopper.

Fonz72

Just took down a Cobra with a stinger. Got the lock waited for someone else to fire, he popped flares, fired got the disable he crashed double kill, 430 points.

OG Kush

YES;
PS3/Xbox 360 specific: Added map rotation settings to preset list in detailed server info. Players can now see all relevant settings that are being run on the server.

Kak.efes

RIP seat switching, you'll be missed. It was often more beneficial to solo, rather than fly with a gunner who didn't know what he was doing for that very reason.

The changes suck if you coordinate with gunners to time your countermeasures, but I already fly below radar enough to think this would make a minimal difference in how I approach things. Gunners now need only worry about spotting, and killing, while leaving the evasive game to the pilot, and depending on how good that pilot is, I think it'll prove more annoying than before for infantry. This has the possibility of really separating the good, from the really good pilots.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just took down a Cobra with a stinger. Got the lock waited for someone else to fire, he popped flares, fired got the disable he crashed double kill, 430 points.

That's the thing about the chopper... yeah... one tank or one guy alone with a stinger is pretty much unable to bring down the chopper. Provided they don't have any assistance.

But if you have a tank and a stinger? Or any combination of two units with lock on capability?

The chopper goes down.

And if you throw an annoying soflam into the mix? It's a nightmare to pilot. You have no idea where the locks are coming from, and every goddamn thing on the battlefield is a lock weapon now.

I'm sorry but if your team cannot take out a chopper that's your own fault. Now they are just flying coffins.

HEY DICE DID YOU FIX THE JET RAMMING?

Choppers were already the weakest air vehicles pre patch... now they're even worse.

RIP seat switching, you'll be missed. It was often more beneficial to solo, rather than fly with a gunner who didn't know what he was doing for that very reason.

The changes suck if you coordinate with gunners to time your countermeasures, but I already fly below radar enough to think this would make a minimal difference in how I approach things. Gunners now need only worry about spotting, and killing, while leaving the evasive game to the pilot, and depending on how good that pilot is, I think it'll prove more annoying than before for infantry. This has the possibility of really separating the good, from the really good pilots.

I'll wait to see if you're thinking the same thing a few weeks from now. Until then I'm not getting near a bird.

TheSeks

You're speaking as though you have little time in an attack chopper.

Actually, I've been enough attack choppers with staggered flares to know the second seat flares needed to go since launch. But thanks.

paskowitz

Fuck you Dice. Lets just list all the things that can take down a chopper:

Jets: 1 person and the main gun. 1-2 passes. Oh and rammers.
Tanks: With a guided shell and a guy in the third seat and smoke tanks can mount a very reasonable defense against helicopters. Not to mention the main gun against noobs.
Soflam/Jav combo: 2 people, same as the tank. Flairs and ECM are almost worthless against this. The only way to avoid it is to hide and attack from behind.
Multiple people with IGLA/SAMs: 2-3 people locking on to a heli staggering their shots will take it down. Not to mention that 1 SAM is basically a disable now. Oh and not to mention the quicker lock on time from the last patch mandates you equip stealth.

As if the first 3 weren't effective enough...

HOW ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH is the heli hard to take down? If a heli is pissing you off, grab a jet, point it at the heli and fire the machine gun... how hard is that? I am a good heli pilot, but this gets me at least 50% of the time.

Yes, the heli can dish out a world of hurt... but only if you let it and refuse to work together. Just like the heli can't dish out a world of hurt without a gunner. BF is based on teamwork, now any engineer with a SAM is an AA gun.

The final salt on the wound is the lower lock on height and greater range for SAMs. Flying low is risky, requires some skill and puts you in the line of fire to ground vehicles. The trade off is being immune to non laser lock ons. Now I am basically going to have to fly close to the deck the whole match thus preventing my gunner from doing his job... WTF is this shit?

JJD

They should add something to the gunner's gadgets. After the patch the only option will be thermal and zoom...

Stealth is going to be the obligatory upgrade for the gunner IMO.

paskowitz

"Heli's are easy to take out! God, why do I spend 90% of my playtime in them?"

Because with a teammate, coordination and the skill to fly them aggressively, they are the most rewarding vehicle to use. They do not generate the most points (tanks), they do not get the most kills (tanks), they are not the hardest to take down (jets), they are hard to cap flags with and they are by the hardest to learn. But guess what the reward for learning them is... a pretty effective vehicle. There is no learning curve for SAMS or jet ramming... just point and shoot.

Kak.efes

They should add something to the gunner's gadgets. After the patch the only option will be thermal and zoom...

Stealth is going to be the obligatory upgrade for the gunner IMO.

Zoom and staying back might be a feasible option going forward. I'd like to try that out, actually. I'm still not as down as some of you are about these changes, it all depends on how low you have to be to avoid lock on. They've also upped the damage, which shouldn't be overlooked.

JJD

Zoom and staying back might be a feasible option going forward. I'd like to try that out, actually. I'm still not as down as some of you are about these changes, it all depends on how low you have to be to avoid lock on. They've also upped the damage, which shouldn't be overlooked.

I think on consoles it's not gonna be a big issue to a pilot like you, but it will change the way less skilled pilots approach the game.

The biggest effect will be on PC with all that people around.

Staying back might be an option but you will be much more dependent on the gunner than before.

Kak.efes

Staying back might be an option but you will be much more dependent on the gunner than before.

Which is fine if it means you're contributing, and winning. Imagine staying out of range on a map like Kharg or Wake rush. A gunner using zoom, and TV missiles could have a field day taking out infantry and armor.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Which is fine if it means you're contributing, and winning. Imagine staying out of range on a map like Kharg or Wake rush. A gunner using zoom, and TV missiles could have a field day taking out infantry and armor.

I'm starting to get the hang of those TV missiles...

tn2007

360GAF > PS3GAF

THERE! I said it!

Lol it would depend on which console we would play on. Will Xbox guys be able to adjust to the horrible input lag on PS3? Plus would Xbox be able to get 12 players? I know ps3 GAF will have more than 12 players. Honestly I think ps3 GAF would win if we played on ps3.

I hate helicopters more than anything, because I'm more of a ground player, but damn taking out flares from gunners is wrong. They should of made the cool down for flares longer. How many awesome helicopter pilots do you really run into on consoles? To my knowledge not many and if you do than you have a plethora of options to take them down. Jet ramming, javelins, soflams, RPGs, tanks and igla/stingers. I feel the buff to stingers would of been enough but oh well I'm not a heli pilot.

Now about jets getting a buff. Are you seriously gonna make jets even more OP. What the heck were they thinking making rocketpods do more damage. I rarely run into a good pilot on consoles but on PC it's gonna be a bitch now.

I like the rest of the patch notes but I really wished they kept the color grenades idea.

Top Bottom