• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
JJD said:
Rockscar game is already on the way Fersis! Better find yours fast! :)

I find it pretty much amazing that Rockscar is the 126th player in the PS3 BC2 ranking. He played mostly with randoms and I've never seem him piloting a chopper like most of the guys at the top do 24/7. Rock is a beast!

Also, how the fuck Battlelog tracks skill? Played a game at Canals, I was the second best player overall, my team won by 98 tickets and I lost -73.8 points in skill. My K/D was 15/13! WTF??? I'm losing skill points in games that not only my team win, but my K/D average is highly positive and I get the MVP ribbon!

Seems like the magic number for BF3 is SPM. I guess that factors above all else. Which, is fine by me. But I think they also need to account for time played... somehow.

Also... so glad to hear Rock is gonna be playing soon. :)

Evolved1

JJD said:
Evolved I need help with the chopper co op mission on hard! My piloting skills just aren't good enough...

You're up for it sometime?

Yes, sure.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just got the game. Stuck in the office for 6 hours >_<

Evolved1

Fersis said:
Just got the game. Stuck in the office for 6 hours >_<

In the meantime... if you want the BF3 experience... just shine a flashlight in your eyes over and over, and over again.

Lol... glad to see you got it!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Evolved1 said:
In the meantime... if you want the BF3 experience... just shine a flashlight in your eyes over and over, and over again.

Lol... glad to see you got it!
Hahaha.. flashlights are just like in the beta?

Hopefully ill get internet this weekend. Enough time to play the SP twice.

JJD

TheSeks said:
Except equipment respawns/stops working on respawn/different class. Unless it's AT Mines.

Really? :-(

Well, at least you can stay as a Recon with a different gadget...hopefully!

Also found this earlier, might be useful for someone, sometime. Straight from Dice:

If you are playing on PS3, please enable the following online ports on your connection:
TCP: 80, 443, 9988, 10000-19999, 17502, 42127
UDP: 3659, 14000-14016

If you are playing on Xbox 360, please enable the following online ports on your connection:
TCP: 53, 88, 3074
UDP: 53, 88, 3074

Ketch

So I unlocked rocket pods for the Jet, hopefully that'll let me be more useful for the guys on the ground. AND I'm only 2 LMG ribbons away from the medal, so that's cool.

Evolved1 said:
Seems like the magic number for BF3 is SPM. I guess that factors above all else. Which, is fine by me. But I think they also need to account for time played... somehow.

Also their formula is off, I was top Recon in the platoon somehow, with like 800 some SPM... but Ive only played recon for like 5 minutes top, and there's no way that high spm is right... so it must like average your SPM against your time played... I don't know... it's just not a very accurate representation either way.

Maybe it would work better if they did it by points per class per game instead of per minute.

Dedicating myself to piloting a chopper is finally paying off.

Played last night with a random with a mic who was riding shotgun in my Viper. He was chanting "please don't suck" over the mic as we were lifting off. For the next 10 minutes we racked up about a dozen kills, 4-5 vehicle disables and harassing the conquest points, flying at the tree line to break engineer missiles and spotting like crazy. I was finally taken out by a kamikaze Havoc. The whole time, I hear "yes!" or "oh man oh man" over my headset the whole time. I was grinning through all of it.

The gunner sent me an "awesome flying" message and a friend request. Then I went again, had a great run and got another message and friend request.

As a helipilot should I be equipping EXPL rank 11 award to my engineer? Will it enchance the damage of my helicopter's rockets?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hmm... Origin saves my Limited Edition BF3 PC code in it's system along with my Burnout Ultimate Box. Maybe it isn't as bad as some of SteamGAF thinks it is like they think GfWLive is.

NO, I don't have a new PC/job for a new PC yet. I just need to redeem this Physical Warfare pack code for PC before I forget since it apparently expires on New Years Eve. Eep.

TheSeks said:
Hmm... Origin saves my Limited Edition BF3 PC code in it's system along with my Burnout Ultimate Box. Maybe it isn't as bad as some of SteamGAF thinks it is like they think GfWLive is.

NO, I don't have a new PC/job for a new PC yet. I just need to redeem this Physical Warfare pack code for PC before I forget since it apparently expires on New Years Eve. Eep.

hmm can I use my PS3 one yet? Its on the bottom of a receipt that I'm prob gonna lose or its gonna degrade its ink in my wallet lol

TheSeks

Pkm said:
hmm can I use my PS3 one yet? Its on the bottom of a receipt that I'm prob gonna lose or its gonna degrade its ink in my wallet lol

Er-You've been able to do that for a while, I'm sure? PSN/PS3 != PC/Origin. >_>

Amazon's codes are apparently fucked up but it shouldn't stop Gamestops. Can't hurt to check for yourself, I don't have a Gamestop code (I may swing by there tomorrow and see if they have any spares left and if they can print me one) so I can't tell you.

TheSeks

RoboPlato said:
Anyone up for some co-op on PS3 in half an hour or so? I haven't played that yet and I want to give it a shot.

So long as it isn't hard and if you don't mind my deaf ass and want to attempt to do the tandem shots on the co-op missions, I can do it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TheSeks said:
So long as it isn't hard and if you don't mind my deaf ass and want to attempt to do the tandem shots on the co-op missions, I can do it.
Sounds good, I didn't want to do it on hard anyway. I'll be on in 20 minutes or so. What's your PSN ID? I'm don't have everyone's GAF names and PSN names straight so I'm not sure if we're friends yet.

Evolved1

MiniBossBattle said:
Dedicating myself to piloting a chopper is finally paying off.

Played last night with a random with a mic who was riding shotgun in my Viper. He was chanting "please don't suck" over the mic as we were lifting off. For the next 10 minutes we racked up about a dozen kills, 4-5 vehicle disables and harassing the conquest points, flying at the tree line to break engineer missiles and spotting like crazy. I was finally taken out by a kamikaze Havoc. The whole time, I hear "yes!" or "oh man oh man" over my headset the whole time. I was grinning through all of it.

The gunner sent me an "awesome flying" message and a friend request. Then I went again, had a great run and got another message and friend request.

As a helipilot should I be equipping EXPL rank 11 award to my engineer? Will it enchance the damage of my helicopter's rockets?

Dave sent me a message the other day: "Oh wow... you're amazing."

After we owned shit for most of the round... until I crashed into a lamp post (it was lag though)

Felt pretty good. That was fun as hell to play. The choppers feel awesome in BF3. *raises glass* Cheers to a fellow pilot. Go us.

TheSeks

RoboPlato said:
Sounds good, I didn't want to do it on hard anyway. I'll be on in 20 minutes or so. What's your PSN ID? I'm don't have everyone's GAF names and PSN names straight so I'm not sure if we're friends yet.

I'll shoot a request once I'm done redeeming my PC Physical Warfare code. >_> It may be a bit above 20 minutes but I'll be there in the hour.

TheSeks

Oh, guess I didn't have to launch BF3 PC to redeem that code. Just launch Origin and redeem it that way like PSN/MediaGo and Steam and GfWLive. NEAT.

Okay on my way Robo.

Evolved1 said:
Dave sent me a message the other day: "Oh wow... you're amazing."

After we owned shit for most of the round... until I crashed into a lamp post (it was lag though)

Felt pretty good. That was fun as hell to play. The choppers feel awesome in BF3. *raises glass* Cheers to a fellow pilot. Go us.

r6QeV.jpg

rdrr gnr

JJD, what are those open port recommendations for?

Anyone who likes to pilot and hasn't sent me a FR please do so. My info is in the OP. I'd like to get my air ribbon out of the way.

JJD

MuseManMike said:
JDD, what are those open port recommendations for?

Anyone who likes to pilot and hasn't sent me a FR please do so. My info is in the OP. I'd like to get my air ribbon out of the way.

If you're having trouble connecting to the game, and you've confirmed that the servers are OK (most people are playing fine), then the problem might be on your end. Those are the ports that the game uses to send and receive data. You could port forward then and your firewall won't mess with BF3.

Or you might put your PS3 in a DMZ like I did!

Hey, you're mikeymouse right? It's OK if I add you? Sorry about all my yapping on that Dhanavan game, I thought you were missing the tank!

Also, is proximity chat enabled? I keep yelling and calling enemies at teammates that are not on my squad but are close...it's kinda embarrassing as most of my squad mates must be WTF is that dude saying? :-(

Woorloog

Banned
JJD said:
Also, is proximity chat enabled? I keep yelling and calling enemies at teammates that are not on my squad but are close...it's kinda embarrassing as most of my squad mates must be WTF is that dude saying? :-(
You can set VOIP to Squad, Team or Off. No proximity voice AFAIK.

EDIT, forgot to mention, Hit and Run is the best co-op, hell, it is the best mission in the whole game. Damn great, action packed and fun.

Pkm said:
Quick question

How do you changing firing modes?

and

Turning on/off icons so there not so intrusive?
D-pad down to cycle firing mode.

Can't turn of icons.

Quick question

How do you changing firing modes?

and

Turning on/off icons so there not so intrusive?

My luck, I'm guessing these are only PC options?

JJD

Mikasangelos said:
Will that port Forwarding help my XBOX connectivity?

What kind of problems you're having? Have you confirmed that they're not server problems? They're very common now, right after release.

Evolved1

noire said:
Is there a good way to practice flying without screwing your team out of air support as you crash them within seconds?

Co-op mission... for helicopters.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thanks to TheSeks for bearing with me on those co-op missions. The fact that I'm on an SD set really seems to hinder me in single player and co-op but not much in MP, for some reason. He also got to bear witness to the atrocity that was me trying to fly. I had fun and he was a good co-op partner. Had to go because of trick or treaters but I'll be on later and up for some GAF games of whatever. Need to get my time in tonight before Uncharted 3 tomorrow.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
noire said:
Is there a good way to practice flying without screwing your team out of air support as you crash them within seconds?

Only the coop mission, and hope it puts you in the seat, and the other guy doesn't quit. (if you don't have a friend.)

Evolved1

The best advice for flying... go into the options menu and look at the configurations. Think about each config and imagine how it might feel and if the basic setup seems intuitive.

Then realize: inverted flight for helicopters means inverted. up=down vice versa.

But inverted for jets means non-inverted (I swear to god this is true) so if you want non inverted to have to select inverted.

hahahaha

Anyway... get an idea or sense for the controls in your head before getting into a vehicle. Then it's just a matter a practicing a bit. I learned to fly really fast. In like 10-11 mins of actual game time.

It's not hard. I have some more advanced tips I posted earlier but I don't feel like digging them up, sorry.

TheSeks

RoboPlato said:
Thanks to TheSeks for bearing with me on those co-op missions. The fact that I'm on an SD set really seems to hinder me in single player and co-op but not much in MP, for some reason. He also got to bear witness to the atrocity that was me trying to fly. I had fun and he was a good co-op partner. Had to go because of trick or treaters but I'll be on later and up for some GAF games of whatever. Need to get my time in tonight before Uncharted 3 tomorrow.

I was trying to go for no jeeps lost in the first mission which is why I set up. I learned three AT mines will take that surprise tank on the west. So I'm not sure what is taking out one of the jeeps after that (RPG on the roof I wager?) but it's annoying.

At least we did better than an Easy EXTREME LAG game where this dude lost nearly ALL the jeeps. FFS, dude.

Evolved or Dream: Want to play the first co-op mission on Easy and help me protect the jeeps? :D?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TheSeks said:
I was trying to go for no jeeps lost in the first mission which is why I set up. I learned three AT mines will take that surprise tank on the west. So I'm not sure what is taking out one of the jeeps after that (RPG on the roof I wager?) but it's annoying.

At least we did better than an Easy EXTREME LAG game where this dude lost nearly ALL the jeeps. FFS, dude.

Evolved or Dream: Want to play the first co-op mission on Easy and help me protect the jeeps? :D?
Pretty sure it was the RPG guy on the roof. I tried to take him down quickly the time we got through it but he still got one off and hit a jeep.

JJD

Evolved1 said:
The best advice for flying... go into the options menu and look at the configurations. Think about each config and imagine how it might feel and if the basic setup seems intuitive.

Then realize: inverted flight for helicopters means inverted. up=down vice versa.

But inverted for jets means non-inverted (I swear to god this is true) so if you want non inverted to have to select inverted.

hahahaha

Anyway... get an idea or sense for the controls in your head before getting into a vehicle. Then it's just a matter a practicing a bit. I learned to fly really fast. In like 10-11 mins of actual game time.

It's not hard. I have some more advanced tips I posted earlier but I don't feel like digging them up, sorry.

As I said I can now fly, but I'm not a good attack pilot. I need tips on maneuvering fast, and truth be told I still need tips on almost every section of piloting. I'll look out to your post, must have missed it.

I'm playing the SP now and I'm really enjoying it. I don't get people's complain. The SP is so far way better than Blops (on PS3), and on par with MW 1 and 2.

Of course the SP is not a Battlefield experience, it's Dice version of COD, but I'm fine with it. I do believe that if Dice made a SP to honor BF traditions (ample areas, vehicle combat, open ended nature) the game would be much better.

For exemple, they missed a damn good opportunity to let people learn to play the jets on that mission on SP. It would be amazing if you could pilot the jet by yourself. Just make the current version of the level an option to those that don't want/can't fly.

Sure it would demand much more of the developers to let you pilot the jet (they would have to code an AI for the enemies fighters instead of relaying on scripted events and paths for instance) but the game would be drastically better.

TheSeks

Dreamgazer said:
I'm available for co-op missions for now.
Hurry up and take my offer otherwise I'm going to study.

I'm comin', I'm comin', but we're doing the co-op achievement objectives. 'kay?

Woorloog

Banned
Unlocked KH2002 a moment ago but not going to play any more today. Any impressions on the gun? Better than M16 or AK74 (i don't use M416)?

All I did was switch my sticks to southpaw. It made more sense to me to have my movement (tilt) on my left stick and rotation on my right stick. The biggest advice I got was think of helicopter flying as air drifting. You are sliding through the air, not cutting it. Also, that tilt indicator is really helpful too.

Evolved1

JJD said:
As I said I can now fly, but I'm not a good attack pilot. I need tips on maneuvering fast, and truth be told I still need tips on almost every section of piloting. I'll look out to your post, must have missed it.

I'm playing the SP now and I'm really enjoying it. I don't get people's complain. The SP is so far way better than Blops (on PS3), and on par with MW 1 and 2.

Of course the SP is not a Battlefield experience, it's Dice version of COD, but I'm fine with it. I do believe that if Dice made a SP to honor BF traditions (ample areas, vehicle combat, open ended nature) the game would be much better.

For exemple, they missed a damn good opportunity to let people learn to play the jets on that mission on SP. It would be amazing if you could pilot the jet by yourself. Just make the current version of the level an option to those that don't want/can't fly.

Sure it would demand much more of the developers to let you pilot the jet (they would have to code an AI for the enemies fighters instead of relaying on scripted events and paths for instance) but the game would be drastically better.

This is something I posted earlier that may or may not be helpful to you. Not terribly in depth, but neither is piloting once you get the feel of it.

me said:
I had a run earlier on Caspian that was basically the whole match with a good gunner... was super fun.

I use legacy controls (closest to BC2 default) and inverted flight. Actually the new controls are better. I can do a lot with this thing I couldn't in BC2 and ripping across the map 30 ft off the ground is pretty damn awesome -- and pretty mush impossible in BC2 unless you were in the Huey.

The trickiest part is maintaining altitude. Once the bird starts to fall it can get away from you real fast and you don't have enough power to recover. Hit the ground like an anchor lol. It's especially true in tight aerobatic maneuvers... gotta stay on the throttle or you're likely eating dirt. Once you get the hang of how much you can drift and when to throttle... these things get fun.

Some people report that they fly just fine with normal controls (for instance Seks, and that one guy I always argue with about Ghost Recon) and think they feel really good. So, whatever works for you bro.

Massa

Is it just me or are some of the Conquest maps so big for the player count that the two teams just spend the entire match running around in circles?

TheSeks

That's 3/6 down, Dream. We've still got Mission 3 (and I'll even do it on Hard because I love you. :p) Ninja, Mission 4 No man-downs, Mission 5 no alerts/"we've got a runner!" (easy, go for the head and so long as we stay a bit away from the enemy we can even use the sniper to do that)

That car lover achievement is fucking annoying. If they so much as "VEHICLE DOWN!" Restart, because you failed.

TheSeks

Massa said:
Also, you guys are seriously playing coop missions? Am I missing something?

I am an consumer achievement whore.

Dream: And I helped!

That and there is weapon unlocks, one of which is IDKMYBFFG3
?

Top Bottom