• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Oh, come on it can't be that bad. I mean Bad Company 2's wasn't that bad on hard outside of the stupid high damage rate and the South America/Chili(?) section of the jungle houses with paper cover where the enemy could kill you if you didn't duck.

I finally beat it. Guess how... I somehow manged to pick up the gun and then I just ran away and hid on the backside stairs. After a couple mins the next objective marker popped up for the technical gunner.

So retarded.

This game is pretty amazing to look at, and I kinda like the story... but actually playing it just isn't fun.

The worst offense is the swarming enemies who will only shoot at you... so many games do this and it's just garbage design.

AlexBasch

Just played some Conquest Domination, was fun, and played with people who actually *GASP* were playing for the objective, reviving whilst I was throwing ammo like candy to my teammates. Although, I found something weird on the battlelog, I'm pretty sure I'm winning most of my matches (not by a landslide, but rather 3/1 out of four) and I can't seem to improve my W/L ratio. It's strange. :/

Evolved1

i still haven't gotten past accidentally reaching the difficulty selection screen.

I will say this... as set pieces go BF3 basically demolishes all the other linear military shooters in the CoD genre. DICE gets the feel of it all, the wrapping paper on the box is just the greatest thing. But then you open up the box and there's a bunch of poo inside.

Actually, after getting through that one really bothersome section, I've been having some fun with it. I'll admit to really enjoying the spectacle, and there are moments when you get into cool firefights, thanks to the destructibility... basically their close quarters maps with AI in them. There's a jet section. It is an awesome ride if you ignore the fact you're just along for it, and cannot actually do anything but watch.

Game has some cool moments punctuated by pure frustration and then the QTE situations, or scripted stuff that often is really janky.

There's this part where you have to sneak up and knife a guy. But it's pure jank. I had to replay that stupid section a dozen times at least.

But there are moments when you think, hey this part is pretty damn cool. Just not enough. And there isn't always (or ever) much player freedom. Long gone are the days of Bad Company 1. Critics hammered BC1's sp but actually it was the most fun sp in the franchise.

The only reason I completed the campaign was due to the servers being offline a few days before the game officially launched :/

It was horrible.

AlexBasch

Good god, how many damage a tank can take? I emptied three rockets on the ass of a fucking tank and it didn't even got disabled. I fucking loathe those. ;_;

And fuck 1000+ ticket servers, for some reason they're the only ones I can find.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Good god, how many damage a tank can take? I emptied three rockets on the ass of a fucking tank and it didn't even got disabled. I fucking loathe those. ;_;

Reactive Armor? It takes 4-5 to disable if they have that, and most are using that now a days if not smoke due to Javelins.

AlexBasch

Reactive Armor? It takes 4-5 to disable if they have that, and most are using that now a days if not smoke due to Javelins.
Welp, I'm never taking a tank down then. Not when the rest of my whole team are snipers.

Against tanks. Why.

Fuck it, I want to play Rush or Conquest but assholes just want to snipe for Youtube bullshittery and meanwhile tanks stomp all over the team. I'm sticking to Team Deathmatch. /rage

Tanks were far stronger when the game was released. It took like 5 RPGs to take em down if memory serves me correctly.

RPGs have range issues. You wanna be close but not too close to get it's full effect. One RPG, at the right distance, into the back of a tank will disable it now I'm pretty sure.

JJD

RPGs don't have range issues as far as I'm concerned, I've taken down tanks and jeeps from all distances.

They do have angle issues.

What I mean is, if your RPG hits a tank at a perfect angle (90 degrees) from any side it will do more damage. If your RPG hits a tank at a very high angle or low, it will do less.

Obviously back hits take much more health than side hits which take more health than front hits.

This picture will help you understand:

vehichart.png

Ideally you want to shot all tanks at the back at a 90 degrees angle for maximum damage.

Anyway, sometimes hit detection will fail and a RPG won't register even if it hits head on, but at least for me this is rare.

Overdoziz

Banned
Yesterday I was in a tank, got hit by a single RPG in the front and it did 52% damage. :/
I guess BF3 isn't exactly the most consistent game, especially when it comes to vehicles.

Yesterday I was in a tank, got hit by a single RPG in the front and it did 52% damage. :/
I guess BF3 isn't exactly the most consistent game, especially when it comes to vehicles.

Were you under boost at that moment? I believe there is a bug where an RPG/SMAW will do full damage if you're doing so.

Lakitu

st5fu
My tank was at full health and it was killed by a single M320 grenade. It was strange but I'm fairly certain no one strapped C4 to my tank.

By the way, I think we're going to get an End Game trailer today or tomorrow. Just speculation but it's usually around this time we get DLC premier trailers.

Did they change it so you can no longer see where your rockets land on the start screen map with the rocket truck? Or does it have to do with the type of rockets you have equipped? It seemed to be missing the last time I tried but I was only using it for a few seconds.

TheSeks

You mean the mobile Artillery truck in Armored Shield? I dunno, maybe they did change it to make it completely useless since you can't see where you're hitting. I got that trophy without it by just running the truck up to a hot spot, quickly setting up and letting loose a volly and hoping for the best. D:

olimpia84

My tank was at full health and it was killed by a single M320 grenade. It was strange but I'm fairly certain no one strapped C4 to my tank.

By the way, I think we're going to get an End Game trailer today or tomorrow. Just speculation but it's usually around this time we get DLC premier trailers.

Could have been an AT mine on the way and the grenade exploded right next to it

BoatAck

Were you under boost at that moment? I believe there is a bug where an RPG/SMAW will do full damage if you're doing so.
I have that shit happen to me a lot from other tanks. Like one shot to the front and I'm down to 25 percent. I've had tow's one hit kill me while sprinting.

TheSeks

EVERY VEHICLES GETTIN' NERFED (out here?).jpg

Get on foot and battle in the dirt like the rest of us. Mwhahahahahahaha *cough cough* hahahahahahaha.

Evolved1

EVERY VEHICLES GETTIN' NERFED (out here?).jpg

Get on foot and battle in the dirt like the rest of us. Mwhahahahahahaha *cough cough* hahahahahahaha.

That's my feeling... but every time I check that stats page it's basically telling me maybe I should stay in the vehicles, since that's where I'm most effective.

GEoyi.jpg

AlexBasch

I used to spam rockets back in BC2, but I'll take that image into account next time I encounter a tank. :p

Wish there was a way to filter out high ticket servers, can't find anything with less than 1250. Whyyyy.

Any GAF recommendations for PS3 servers? I'm fucking sick of TDM Canals and 1000 tickets everything.

Evolved1

This is the console thread... where we know your console handle.

Who are you on PC?

Evolved1

Any of you guys who beat the SP on hard have tips for the Night Shift mission?

I'm stuck in the mall, trying to defend some douches from like an entire army of attacks... it's long range battle in the dark, my MP7 doesn't do shit and the sniper rifle thermal scope is garbage... getting shot by a million people you can't even see anything through the fucking scope.

About ready to dropkick my damn PS3 and drive to wherever DICE offices are so I can punch someone in the mouth.

TheSeks

Romeo has two oos

I think it's pronounced "Ram-me-oh!" ;) ;)

newbie said:
Any GAF recommendations for PS3 servers? I'm fucking sick of TDM Canals and 1000 tickets everything.

Stop playing TDM and play Promode, hell even babby 3-flag mode. TDM is for casual/don't care gameplay with the high-ticket count. You can find some 100% servers in pro/babby mode.

Evolved: If it's like the co-op mission, drop the sniper and grab another SMG if you have one available and then just spam SMG fire at people.

TheSeks

TDM is great for sharpening your infantry skills man!

Yes, and no. Yes in sharpining your aiming skills for on foot. No, in sharpining "skills" since TDM still hasn't fixed the wonky spawns to where you're either spawning into death or someone else is.

Don't get me wrong: I like the mode and think it's an okay addition to Battlefield, but it just doesn't work too well outside of "I don't give a fuck, I just want to shoot people."

AlexBasch

Stop playing TDM and play Promode, hell even babby 3-flag mode. TDM is for casual/don't care gameplay with the high-ticket count. You can find some 100% servers in pro/babby mode.
Will do. I can only find low ticket matches for TDM, whenever I try to play other modes it's either 1000 ticket conquest with all snipers or people running around four enemy tanks because nobody ever gets one. Will have to search for something more normal. I don't even mind 500 tickets, but it sure gets really boring to play Conquest mode in which nobody bothers to drive vehicles or capture points. At least I have found more people Conquest Domination who play for the objective.

TDM is great for sharpening your infantry skills man!
It does. I was pretty shit in the PC and never got good, PS3 was going to be part deux but after dying a lot (I have like 1700/1600 deaths on my KDR) I'm now managing to shoot better. I used to be more of a support player with handing ammo/reviving/healing but it's not useful if you're dying 20 times and only taking down like 4 guys.

but it just doesn't work too well outside of "I don't give a fuck, I just want to shoot people."
I like that I can throw a box of ammo and people will replenish their bullets or heal with medkits whether they want it or not. Points for support and unlocking things faster is definitely helpful.

TheSeks

You get faster points in Metro 500 Babby mode over TDM, TBH. B is where everyone is going to be so that's where you're going to get your points.

I'm stuck in the mall, trying to defend some douches from like an entire army of attacks... it's long range battle in the dark, my MP7 doesn't do shit and the sniper rifle thermal scope is garbage... getting shot by a million people you can't even see anything through the fucking scope.
Yeah that one is a bitch, and probably the hardest part of the SP campaign. It's been a long time since I did it (more than a year), but if memory serves you get claymores for that part, and you can restock them at an ammo box thingy that's there somewhere. I think I ended up finding a spot in pretty good cover right near an ammo box where I could snipe the dudes coming up the escalators in the back, and used the claymores to take care of enemies trying to rush me around the cover when I was scoped in. When the claymores go off you just replace them ASAP (using the ammo crate). I think that's how I did it.

One very important point: when the chopper lands, don't just rush straight to it (very tempting after the shitfight that was the interior mall shootout) or some fucker will shoot you from the back right (i.e. from diagonally over your right shoulder as you rush towards the chopper). Make sure you get that guy and any friends he has with him (there might be more than one).

When you do make it through it'll be by the skin of your teeth.

Don't expect a Christmas card this year.

Or any year.

tn2007

You get faster points in Metro 500 Babby mode over TDM, TBH. B is where everyone is going to be so that's where you're going to get your points.

Acutally 500% CQDM is the best mode for points.TDM is good for gun skills and unlocking stuff, but SEKS is right you would be better off playing regular conquest and learning the map. Map knowledge will be more useful because you will know all the camping spots and burn area of flags.

About ready to dropkick my damn PS3 and drive to wherever DICE offices are so I can punch someone in the mouth.

Oh lord I remember that being quite a bitch. From what I remember I spent most of my time in that room with the magazines that is right in front of the escalator stairs. Hiding behind cover and just inching out and taking quick shots as they would come up the stairs.

I'll give you a hint for the start of the last level though cuz that one had me pulling my hair out more than any other. When you start it you'll be in a subway car and have to drop down through a hole. If you drop down you pretty much get insta-killed by a guy with a shotgun, and if you try to take out the one guy you can see from the top before you drop down, you'll only kill him and everyone else will be alert to your presence. What I found was you could actually drop down into a bit of hanging rubble that's on the front part of the hole, it lets you get down a little lower where you have a closer view and shoot more of the guards down below. That should make that section a little more tolerable…lord knows how many times I died on that section

AlexBasch

Just found a pretty fun server. 200%, B2K maps (need to play in those for the unlocks, they're cool too, I paid enough for the Premium to still play in Canals and Bazaar) and it was mostly Rush. There were shitloads of camping snipers for KD but most guys played for the objective. Favourited right away.

TheSeks

SMH. 200% isn't how you play Pro mode. >:|

[OP] Server is 100% but you need all the DLC for it.

Evolved1

Thanks for the tips guys... will try it out a little later.

Anyone interested in helping me unlock a weapon? The assignment for 5 SDM wins... I have three of them.

The other day I was playing in a hardcore no map SDM room with a decent squad and picked up three of the wins. It was pretty fun. Just need two more for the unlock.

Thanks for the tips guys... will try it out a little later.

Anyone interested in helping me unlock a weapon? The assignment for 5 SDM wins... I have three of them.

The other day I was playing in a hardcore no map SDM room with a decent squad and picked up three of the wins. It was pretty fun. Just need two more for the unlock.

i'm game to help with anything except the Bullseye trophy/achievement.

tn2007

Give me an example of Pro mode, that and "babby mode" isn't descriptive enough. :p

Don't listen to him about pro mode and baby mode. He names conquest 3 flags baby mode and rush pro mode. When in reality, all pros play either conquest 5v5 to 12v12, or squad rush. Play every mode dude because each mode will help you a different set of skills.

PS: I will help you with SQDM evolved.

JJD

If you ever decide to do this trophy Evolved I'll help you.

Only trophy I'm missing for my platinum.

I'll be out of town for at least 10 days starting next week though, so it will be a little while until we can do it.

Evolved1

Great, we get two more gaffers and then it should be two easy wins and I don't have to feel bad about nuking anyone's w/l for my dumb unlock quest.

I like HCnM because it benefits the better squads who play well together/communicate. Plus I usually suck ass at death match modes... but this hard core thing in the small setting feels more like classic ghost recon to me, which was my shit back in the day. I was pretty beasty in those matches, when I'm normally the weakest link in reg DM.

If you ever decide to do this trophy Evolved I'll help you.

Only trophy I'm missing for my platinum.

I'll be out of town for at least 10 days starting next week though, so it will be a little while until we can do it.

Cool... we can do it then.

Evolved1

So this night shift mission... I just cannot get through the door... they come from every direction. I cannot kill them all.

This mission sucks ass man. It's not fun at all. And this "cinematic" thing they're going for loses its luster after the 90th time you reload the same fucking bullshit.

DICE does not play their own games.

So this night shift mission... I just cannot get through the door... they come from every direction. I cannot kill them all.

This mission sucks ass man. It's not fun at all. And this "cinematic" thing they're going for loses its luster after the 90th time you reload the same fucking bullshit.

DICE does not play their own games.

i'm sure they play their own games a ton... just not the single player portion...

Top Bottom