• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So lots of people still playing the xbox version? I was considering getting bad company 2 first but i hear that game is kinda dead online so i thought i might as well jump straight into BF3.

that dude that ran all the way to the start of Talah Market just to try and kill me on the mortar must have been extra salty when i got off the mortar just in time to shoot him in the face. AND right before that i fired a shot and killed someone near the armed objective.

Does the PS3 version have better graphics and audio quality? I've been watching a lot of that crazy Spaniard's videos that someone linked earlier and there seems to be a noticeable difference and I'm jealous, especially of the sound. Is it just the audio settings because I haven't touched mine, they're set to default.

Does the PS3 version have better graphics and audio quality? I've been watching a lot of that crazy Spaniard's videos that someone linked earlier and there seems to be a noticeable difference and I'm jealous, especially of the sound. Is it just the audio settings because I haven't touched mine, they're set to default.

they look the same. did you install the HD texture pack?

As for audio, do you have headphones? Having the audio settings on "Headphones" and "Enhanced" sounds best for me.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I was letting this game get to me a little bit today...

I figured out that, some people, just really don't care if they win or lose. This affects their decision making. So when I see something peculiar, I think, what in the fuck are you a retard!? I mean that is the logical thought if you're in the mindset of trying to win the game and you see something like that. But if they don't give a shit about winning the match, well then all that other stuff makes total sense. Now I understand why they are sniping from two bases back... or why our entire team is recons... or why they jump out of the tank when we are winning and give it to the other team, that we had on the ropes, so they are able to eek out the undeserved victory.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
hah, you stuck around after Call of Duty and Number 2 joined? As soon as they joined I knew we were losing because that Sharqi round should've been over five times over at times with me rushing to smoke and no one helping to clear out besides you at times.

I'm frankly surprised I got the last arm both times with the tickets at 15-32, I thought we were going to lose the second set for sure because I couldn't get up there to smoke without getting taken out besides that last time where you spawned and protected it with me.

Evolved1

hah, you stuck around after Call of Duty and Number 2 joined? As soon as they joined I knew we were losing because that Sharqi round should've been over five times over at times with me rushing to smoke and no one helping to clear out besides you at times.

I'm frankly surprised I got the last arm both times with the tickets at 15-32, I thought we were going to lose the second set for sure because I couldn't get up there to smoke without getting taken out besides that last time where you spawned and protected it with me.

Yeah I was really surprised we pulled that one out. Especially that one plant you got with hardly any tickets left (the one I messaged you about) very clutch.

Most of that game I was rushing the objectives with you. Usually a bit behind, but I was generally there. The problem was that they were dug in pretty well. And our chopper pilot was just a huge idiot. He wasn't doing anything... he was basically just flying around the perimeter of the map, not even firing at anything. I was talking so much shit to that guy after a while. Asked him to drop me on bravo and he never even gets close. I had to bail OOB and ended up with a suicide. People like that man... god.

Now for whatever reason I never thought to go smoke. Usually if things are getting dicey I switch to smoke. I tried to get up into the second floor of the adjacent construction building, and do some killing to open up a hole for a bravo approach... got most of my kills that round up there, but no one actually tried to hit the crate. Eventually they got me.

Just one of those rounds man... luckily you got up there and armed. But basically that game was just us two vs a decent defending team. And all our pilots were total crap. Especially the tank pilot on the last set. That was the worst.

Next game #2 and CoD joined the other team at it was just a rout.

TheSeks

Next game #2 and CoD joined the other team at it was just a rout.

I think the game team switched us, because believe it or not that side/squad I was in when you joined (after Faceless left) won like 6-8 rounds in a row with me joining and then Faceless joined and it was a total steamroll.

Overdoziz

Banned
As for audio, do you have headphones? Having the audio settings on "Headphones" and "Enhanced" sounds best for me.
Being able to hear the footsteps of enemies, other noises they make and whenever they say something gives you such a huge edge in BF3. You can get the jump on people so easily with good headphones.

Edit: Also,
EQrQ9Gc.jpg

TheSeks

Totally don't have my shit together today. But that FGF or whatever clan is pretty stupid. Resorting to tank stealing to win after being rolled in most rounds, esp. Conquest where we have to hard fight with bleed to win.

And it seems tank-stealing from the attackers base is becoming a common tactic in Rush. GAF needs to learn to counter that by staying in spawn instead of Rushing. Why we failed on Damavand is because I didn't even think they were going to steal the tank. Fuck.

Totally don't have my shit together today. But that FGF or whatever clan is pretty stupid. Resorting to tank stealing to win after being rolled in most rounds, esp. Conquest where we have to hard fight with bleed to win.

And it seems tank-stealing from the attackers base is becoming a common tactic in Rush. GAF needs to learn to counter that by staying in spawn instead of Rushing. Why we failed on Damavand is because I didn't even think they were going to steal the tank. Fuck.

i ain't even mad at that Damavand loss, i know i have been the tank stealer on several occasions.

now the Caspian Border CQ loss because my 3 random squadmates did nothing but wait on the chopper and fly it all game.. and ended up with 30 deaths and 1 kill between the 3 of them... ugh

TheSeks

Oh, yeah, I know I've been in that situation as well but there's no counter if they take it and keep it in the tunnel other to blindly dumbfire rockets which their engineers can just repair the damage off of.

But I'm more pissed that that's becoming a "legit" tactic for teams that are being rolled to try to stop the attackers and there's no counter to stop them from repairing the damage if you're the only one attempting to damage it (or they run smoke to where Javelin locks are pointless) if it's in good hands. I had a Oman round where I had to attempt to damage the tank, hit it three or four times with the mortar and they'd just repair the damage before I could disable it. Shit was mad frustrating but me hassling and eating deaths on them seemed to help the team arm the crate on first set B.

Oh, yeah, I know I've been in that situation as well but there's no counter if they take it and keep it in the tunnel other to blindly dumbfire rockets which their engineers can just repair the damage off of.

But I'm more pissed that that's becoming a "legit" tactic for teams that are being rolled to try to stop the attackers and there's no counter to stop them from repairing the damage if you're the only one attempting to damage it (or they run smoke to where Javelin locks are pointless) if it's in good hands. I had a Oman round where I had to attempt to damage the tank, hit it three or four times with the mortar and they'd just repair the damage before I could disable it. Shit was mad frustrating but me hassling and eating deaths on them seemed to help the team arm the crate on first set B.

i didn't even know they stole the tank until after i flew the transport chopper in the back thinking "the tank is at the front on the minimap, WE GOT THIS WIN, YEAAA BOIII" then the other tank is right there and kills us...

i was like ... "ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh"

TheSeks

Did some of that clan team switch to your side when I rejoined or was that auto-balance? I saw some of them on our side at the end of that Metro round and laughed hard. IIRC I didn't see them on the initial checking of scoreboard when I first joined so I'm not sure if they joined late and were auto-balanced or jumped ship at the end.

tn2007

i didn't even know they stole the tank until after i flew the transport chopper in the back thinking "the tank is at the front on the minimap, WE GOT THIS WIN, YEAAA BOIII" then the other tank is right there and kills us...

i was like ... "ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh"

Right when we got the third set I told my squad to make sure to secure our tank, but the other team obviously had people waiting there for it to spawn. Sucks but it's a legit tactic and we rolled over them the next map anyways. What sucked the most is when you guys all left and evolved and I got STEAMROLLED on canals. It was fun playing with all you guys again dawn, evovled, Dan, SEKS, and faceless.

Did some of that clan team switch to your side when I rejoined or was that auto-balance? I saw some of them on our side at the end of that Metro round and laughed hard. IIRC I didn't see them on the initial checking of scoreboard when I first joined so I'm not sure if they joined late and were auto-balanced or jumped ship at the end.

They got auto balanced to our team.

Right when we got the third set I told my squad to make sure to secure our tank, but the other team obviously had people waiting there for it to spawn. Sucks but it's a legit tactic and we rolled over them the next map anyways. What sucked the most is when you guys all left and evolved and I got STEAMROLLED on canals. It was fun playing with all you guys again dawn, evovled, Dan, SEKS, and faceless.

They got auto balanced to our team.

game froze and i was like "ok, time to call it a night", and yeah, good games!

Evolved1

Yeah fun matches, except those last two with just you and I.

That Seine Crossing Rush defense, before the Canals CQ, was actually the one that kinda broke my spirits for the night lol.

TheSeks

If you aren't using the Server Browser then you're doing it wrong.

Server browser is just as bad with shitty admins and the shitty community now a days.

But yes, favorite the DICE servers and don't look back.

Evolved1

I think olimpia might be referring to auto balance... we were playing together and auto balance continually screwed us over.

I mean in one respect it's almost a compliment that the game took every colonel off our side and switched them over, giving us all the scrubs... but on the other hand... wtf!?

RoKKeR

Server browser is just as bad with shitty admins and the shitty community now a days.

But yes, favorite the DICE servers and don't look back.
Haven't played BF3 on my 360 in ages, but I imagine that there are loads of absolute idiot admins.

At least they're easier to filter through on PC.

olimpia84

I think olimpia might be referring to auto balance... we were playing together and auto balance continually screwed us over.

I mean in one respect it's almost a compliment that the game took every colonel off our side and switched them over, giving us all the scrubs... but on the other hand... wtf!?

Yeah, that's what I meant. I mean, how the fuck does that happen? Is the game expecting us two to carry the team against a stacked full colonel team??

TheSeks

Yeah, that's what I meant. I mean, how the fuck does that happen? Is the game expecting us two to carry the team against a stacked full colonel team??

Depending on your score, yes. But that's why I run 4-person squads if I can help it. Counter the auto-balance. Can't split a squad of four (thank god) so it can't send us over, sends the shitty players (hopefully) over instead.

Auto-balance has been bananas since launch. DICE has good intentions but people will just team-switch back over to the winning team if they can help it. They really should remove stats like W/L and KDR and accuracy and shit next Battlefield. Make it like Team Fortress 2, where stats aren't shown and if they it's points/highest points gained per class and time-spent playing the game/"useless" stats that can't be used by stat whores.

But I don't think that'd solve the ragequit problem that I am privy to doing at times myself.

Depending on your score, yes. But that's why I run 4-person squads if I can help it. Counter the auto-balance. Can't split a squad of four (thank god) so it can't send us over, sends the shitty players (hopefully) over instead.

Auto-balance has been bananas since launch. DICE has good intentions but people will just team-switch back over to the winning team if they can help it. They really should remove stats like W/L and KDR and accuracy and shit next Battlefield. Make it like Team Fortress 2, where stats aren't shown and if they it's points/highest points gained per class and time-spent playing the game/"useless" stats that can't be used by stat whores.

But I don't think that'd solve the ragequit problem that I am privy to doing at times myself.
if the player deficit between the 2 teams is big enough, it will indeed swap an entire 4 man squad. in BC2 it just moved players not in a squad.

It'd be really nice if you got more points for winning the match. That definitely needs to be fixed.

-Stranger-

Getting kills with the Mortar & EoD Bot is proving quite difficult.
I'm trying to knock off some Assignments as i still have a few Back To Karkand weapons to unlock.

TheSeks

if the player deficit between the 2 teams is big enough, it will indeed swap an entire 4 man squad. in BC2 it just moved players not in a squad.

Well, yes, but if it's a 1-3 deficit like it generally is, it won't throw me over to the losing squad.

-Stranger- said:
Getting kills with the Mortar

Counter-Mortar or Mortar (but be careful of counter-mortar) a tank that is spotted.

EoD Bot is proving quite difficult.

Camping sniper. Plant EOD bot, quickly go into it. L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 L1 dead man.

Evolved1

I think auto balance should be based on your profile's overall SPM.

SPM is not the best indicator of player quality, since so many people inflate theirs with million ticket meat grinder matches, allowing them to buff their SPM when all the ribbon rewards start stacking, but at least it gives you a general indication of who the point producers are. Of course the weakness of SPM is that sometimes team-players, especially RUSH defenders, are often really penalized for hanging around the objective while the rest of the team stupidly pushes further and further forward.

But SPM is still better than rank.

At this point in the game there are plenty of colonels... even the shittiest recon "snipers" should have the wings+ if they've been playing since the beginning. So really that only lets you know how long someone has been playing. Generally I'd rather have someone with 100+ hours in the game than a lvl 20's player. Just because, they don't know the game yet. They make match-losing mistakes, like giving away vehicles and shit.

But then the other day, there's a lvl 5 colonel on our team, and I hear him ask "What's a SOFLAM?" I kind of just let that sink in for a sec.... wtf!?

So yeah, the colonel thing isn't the whole story.

And neither is points in a particular match, what if the good players joined late?

So... SPM, imo, should drive the auto balance,

I'm trying to knock off some Assignments as i still have a few Back To Karkand weapons to unlock.

Mortar?

just drop on or near the open objective when Attacking:
Seine Crossing Rush
Karkand Rush (after 1st set)
Talah Market Rush (after 1st set)
Wake Island Rush

and if you have a good team that spots when Defending:
Damavand Peak Rush (1st 2 sets)
Grand Bazaar Rush (2nd & 3rd sets)
Operation Metro (1st set)

EOD Bot?

the trick is to not try to seek it out, just be prepared for the opportunity. and what i mean by that is play normally, but have the EOD bot equipped. then when you see an enemy sniper prone or a guy on a mortar, drop the EOD bot near them and kill them quickly.

don't be that guy driving the EOD bot around the map, that just makes people more likely to be watching their backs...

Evolved1

So can you not arm the crate with an EOD bot? I thought you could, but the other day I tried and couldn't.

AlexBasch

Will follow those recommendations. I was throwing mortar rounds around a M-COM when it was armed to down any defenders and couldn't kill anything. :|

Evolved1

I think you can, you can disarm them with it at least.

Oh, wow... I never considered this. Might be a good idea to hide one near a crate and sneak in for a disarm.

I'll have to try it sometime.

Overdoziz

Banned
Oh, wow... I never considered this. Might be a good idea to hide one near a crate and sneak in for a disarm.

I'll have to try it sometime.
I put on the table behind the M-COM in the golfball tower on the last set of Alborz Mountains. It's really useful because it's a pain to actually get up there yourself in time.

Most of my mortar kills come from taking out snipers on the roofs of skyscrapers, objective D on Gulf of Oman, to be specific.

I was that guy that stayed in the safety of the rear deployment and just used an EOD bot all game long, it was like Avatar, lol. As far as kills go, taking out vehicles is one way but requires a lot of practice. My tactic was to sneak up along side of it so that our tracks ran parallel, then turn your turret/blowtorch so it touches the tanks tracks, then attack. Their first instinct is almost always to backup, so being parallel with the tank helps because you can just use your triggers to go reverse or forward and keep up with it, then you just hope they stay in the tank because if they jump out, you'll start repairing it.

Another way that I had some success with is arming the mcoms with the bot. I'd sneak in, arm the mcom, then back up into a corner or the shadows, switch to first person view and make sure the mcom was directly in front of me. When someone would come to disarm, I'd calmly move forward and attack them. Mercifully, it's much quicker than killing a tank.

A few more EOD bot tips:
-Always use 3rd person view, it's much easier.
-Be patient and go slow. The bot has a tendency to go haywire when moving over steps, rubble, or uneven surfaces, if you go over them slowly you can easily maintain control. I wouldn't go full speed unless you're on smooth pavement.
-Also your turning radius is extremely wide when moving at full speed, I found it useful to come to a complete stop so that you can turn in-place when maneuvering indoors or in confined areas.

TheSeks

So can you not arm the crate with an EOD bot? I thought you could, but the other day I tried and couldn't.

You can arm and disarm with the EOD bot. But it's a bit of a hassle to guide it there without it being shot.

milsorgen

Banned
So lots of people still playing the xbox version? I was considering getting bad company 2 first but i hear that game is kinda dead online so i thought i might as well jump straight into BF3.

Not sure about vanilla but when I went back a couple months ago to get my last 2-3 achievements in Vietnam I very, very rarely saw anything close to a full game.

What has amazed me about this game is for me it's taken them 12 months to get right, ever since Aftermath came out i've been having much more fun with it. Everything seems a lot more balanced and there are so many good official servers now i don't have to worry about stacked teams and dodgy admins.

Top Bottom