• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

I've never played Bad Company games. How does the SP in those ones differ from Battlefield 3?

well, in BC1, many levels were open and some were even somewhat non-linear. in BC2, things got constricted a bit. i haven't played BF3's single player yet, but from what i've read about it, it's pretty much an almost on-rails linear corridor shooter now.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Bad Company 1... they just gave you the entire map and were like, "Um... yeah... have fun with that". But, as always, lots of shitty game reviewers can't recognize a good thing when it's right in front of them. They criticized the shit out of the campaign, not CoD enough I guess.

Bad Company 2... DICE reeled it in a bit and tried to tell a story. It was pretty shitty SP, for the most part. Very "me too". Game reviewers continued to suck at their jobs.

BF3 SP... it's CoD now. Just with higher production values, imo. Hey thanks a lot reviewers! You helped turn it into this, and then you ripped them for the SP anyway, even thought they did exactly what you asked for.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Bad Company 1's single-player is kinda bad, though. Auto-injector: the game.

I didn't mind the openness but it also harmed the "focus" of the campaign to be able to drive someplace only for the game to go "NOPE, GET BACK INTO WHERE WE WANT YOU TO GO! WHERE THAT IS? LOL WHO KNOWS!"

Evolved1

I didn't mind the openness but it also harmed the "focus" of the campaign to be able to drive someplace only for the game to go "NOPE, GET BACK INTO WHERE WE WANT YOU TO GO! WHERE THAT IS? LOL WHO KNOWS!"

Of the three, it is the most fun. It's just fun to play. I've gone back to BC1 a few times to mess around with it. I've never had an itch to revisit BC2 SP.

And BF3? I'm having trouble even getting through it once.

BC1 i kinda enjoyed all 4 times i played thru. by the 2nd time i was already on some map hijinks and sequence skipping stuff, by the 4th i was BLAZING.

BC2 ... it wasn't terrible.

Evolved1

BC1 i kinda enjoyed all 4 times i played thru. by the 2nd time i was already on some map hijinks and sequence skipping stuff, by the 4th i was BLAZING.

BC2 ... it wasn't terrible.

Faceless, if you think BC2 wasn't terrible, you could probably find some enjoyment out of BF3. You should at least try it. You have to!

TheSeks

I enjoyed BC2's set-pieces more than BC1's and I can't really go back to either one. BC1's campaign is too boring and BC2's is like CoD: play it once like a movie and don't watch it again.

TheSeks

MP:

Out-of-bounds antics are reallowed. C4/objective harm is still gone. Some walls aren't able to be destroyed around one crate (so it's tough to arm but easy to defend) but most are. Collapsing buildings (if consoles can handle it) like BC2 but not the crate building.

Ports of:

Deconstruction
Harvest Day
Par for the Course
Port Valadez
Arica Harbor
Panama Canal
Gulf of Oman
Strike at Karkand
1943/1942 Wake Island
Gurdal Canal

Evolved1

I don't even know what I want.

I kind of want them to keep putting more work into the soldiering aspect of the game. BF3 has pretty damn good animation when compared to its competition, and I'd like them to keep pushing it. The vault was a cool addition, and dive to prone was nice.

But they should steal some of the awesome single player animations and get them into mp...

Slide to crouch. Maybe clamber over a taller wall (like in that one mortar mission from sp). Be able to jump and actually grab onto stuff. Or hey if you aren't gonna let the parachute deploy properly, let me climb down off of stuff/ledges... also prone roll. I'd love a quick turn... especially if in prone, you could roll over on your back and pop some dude trying to sneak up on you Old Snake style.

A lean and peak system... or even an intuitive fpv cover system, as long it was not janky and did not give the guy in cover an unfair vantage of the battlefield.

Support headtracking?

That's the kind of stuff I hope they work on. DICE are the Mirror's Edge devs... they should bring over a little of that flavor.

TheSeks

DICE is also the Rallysport Challenge devs, they should do some dirt biking.

Lakitu

st5fu
Thanks for the impressions on the BC games, guys.

Eh, I'd rather they just completely focused on MP for BF4 but that's not going to happen. Someone on GAF did mention that they had seen some art from the game and said that they expect to see massive aerial and naval battles and the game would go from (location spoilers)
China to US

Most importantly though I hope they have 64 player conquest on next-gen consoles and maybe a slight player bump on current-gen consoles (24 to 32). I do hope they have learnt alot in regards to map design from the DLC they've been working on because I've been enjoying the DLC maps a hell of a lot more than the vanilla maps.

From the Aftermath strategy guide:

An engineer riding in the Rhino can repair the vehicle from the passenger seat. Simply aim the Repair Tool at a piece of the vehicle’s interior to perform repairs while on the go. When an engineer, assault, and support soldier fill the passenger seats, the Rhino can be a force to reckon with. While the engineer repairs and fires rockets, the assault soldier can heal and revive the other passengers when not firing their assault rifle or grenade launcher. Meanwhile, the support soldier can drop an ammo box inside the vehicle to keep the rest of the squad supplied while occasionally tossing C4 charges or mines out the back of the vehicle to take out any pursuers.

This is a nice idealized scenario but they are drastically overestimating their players abilities and their map design. Has anyone here seriously been in any sort of car chase that would necessitate dropping C4 or mines out the back? The only thing I've seen the Rhino do is fall into crevices and get stuck.

DryvBy

This might have been answered but...

If I register my Origin PC version of the Premium content, does it also unlock on my PS3 copy since it said it's tied to my Origin account?

If you ever decide to do this trophy Evolved I'll help you.

Only trophy I'm missing for my platinum.
If I can give you guys one piece of advice, it's watch a walkthrough video of the trophy first, and then know what each of you will be doing before you start playing it. It will save you a shitload of time (and its going to take you long enough as it is), and a heap of frustration. I used this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wf8WWiVDl8&hd=1

So this night shift mission... I just cannot get through the door... they come from every direction. I cannot kill them all.

This mission sucks ass man. It's not fun at all. And this "cinematic" thing they're going for loses its luster after the 90th time you reload the same fucking bullshit.

DICE does not play their own games.

This video (7:30 onwards) shows someone finishing it on PS3 on hard from the mall section to the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Q_eEzQCXI&hd=1#t=7m30s

JJD

What are you guys hoping to see in BF4? SP or MP.

Don't care for SP, for MP I want:

I want the maps to be more open like BC2 and have more varied settings.

And weather effects. Rain, Fog, Windstorms and day/night cycles on every map.

Day/night cycle and weather effects don't need to be dynamic (change during a match), they can be static and change every time a game starts. Of course as a server admin. you would have the option to choose your settings, or put everything on random.

Imagine playing a desert map during a wind storm, or a jungle one at night with some heavy rain...

I know a lot of people didn't like the tremors on aftermath, but I liked then.

If I can give you guys one piece of advice, it's watch a walkthrough video of the trophy first, and then know what each of you will be doing before you start playing it. It will save you a shitload of time (and its going to take you long enough as it is), and a heap of frustration. I used this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wf8WWiVDl8&hd=1

Thanks man!

JJD

I miss fighting in the snow like in BC2.

Heck, since we're into this, how alive is BC2 these days in PS3 btw?

Yeah, I miss then too. Alborz Mountain didn't click with me...

It's too big for consoles like all Armored Kill maps, and because of the mountainous terrain driving vehicles is a pain in the ass. That wouldn't be a problem with 64 players since you could pick 2 or 3 flags and keep defending then, but with just 24 players you have to go after the action and driving tanks or even ATVs was really annoying on such irregular terrain.

It's been awhile since I played BC2 but I bet you still can find some games. Obviously you will be seeing the same faces a lot.

There are some gaffers like Rock that still play it regularly.

TheSeks

Weather and it changing? No thanks. It doesn't look good in AC3's multiplayer and I doubt BF's would look good with destruction either.

At the end of the day I want them to balance destruction since frankly that's what games should be pushing now a days, more so in FPS: the ability to change the flow of battle and remove cover as needed.

JJD

Weather and it changing? No thanks. It doesn't look good in AC3's multiplayer and I doubt BF's would look good with destruction either.

At the end of the day I want them to balance destruction since frankly that's what games should be pushing now a days, more so in FPS: the ability to change the flow of battle and remove cover as needed.

As I said, I don't need dynamic weather...just weather effects.

But yeah, I forgot about destruction. The B2K maps are a good indication of how destructibility should go forward. A lot of destructible buildings mixed with some indestructible ones.

We will never get full destruction, and frankly as good as BC2 destruction was, most maps only had empty houses or shacks. They were not comparable to Seine for example.

Maps like Arica Harbor had city sections that looked a lot like the B2K maps.

TheSeks

Arica's second set/Conquest map is the only map in BC2 that was as "dense" as some of BF3's maps. Okay, that's a lie, there was the lighthouse map (Ilsa Innocentes?) as well. But most of the other maps were spread too far out and not as "dense" in the bases on Rush. Which was okay, but there's times where I want Urban combat and I think Arica's three blocks NAILED that feeling while being spread out enough to where people weren't getting taken out by chokepoints.

JJD

Arica's second set/Conquest map is the only map in BC2 that was as "dense" as some of BF3's maps. Okay, that's a lie, there was the lighthouse map (Ilsa Innocentes?) as well. But most of the other maps were spread too far out and not as "dense" in the bases on Rush. Which was okay, but there's times where I want Urban combat and I think Arica's three blocks NAILED that feeling while being spread out enough to where people weren't getting taken out by chokepoints.

I'm really curious to how Dice is approaching map design on BF4.

BC2 maps were perfect for Rush mainly because of the characteristics you described, while BF3 maps were really good for Conquest IMO.

Obviously BC2 had some standout Conquest maps like Panama Canal (great map) and Laguna Alta (great map, bad spawns), and BF3 has some good Rush maps as well like Caspian, Tehran and even Damavand.

I hope they finally find a good balance.

What are you guys hoping to see in BF4? SP or MP.

MP:
  • BC2 'feel'
  • BC2 map design
  • BC2 audio
  • BC2 levels of destruction
  • BC2 lighting
  • BC2 damage
  • BC2 character height and vehicle size
  • BC2 level of weapon and perk customisation
  • BF3 sniper rifle balance
  • BF3 helicopter balance
  • BF3 knifing system
  • BF3 helicopter controls
  • BF3 server browser
  • BF3 squad menus
  • BF3 team chat
  • MP tutorial (similar to BF1943)
  • Ping listed for console players

SP:
  • BC2 'Sangre del Toro' style free-roaming
  • BC1 style "Kelly's Heroes" story would be nice

but seriously...

friendly fire @ 50% damage in normal, no killcam. maybe make an easy mode with killcam and no FF or leave that on custom servers?

some maps with double assault conquest wherein home bases can only be capped when all other basess are capped, out-of-bounds otherwise.

rush maps more like BC1/BC2 and the BF3 DLC maps... you know, with options on approaches...

Seks, about D2.0, i mentioned this one before... just have objective buildings unable to collapse until the objective is destroyed!

Evolved1

but seriously...

friendly fire @ 50% damage in normal, no killcam. maybe make an easy mode with killcam and no FF or leave that on custom servers?

This would be soooo good.

This video (7:30 onwards) shows someone finishing it on PS3 on hard from the mall section to the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Q_eEzQCXI&hd=1#t=7m30s

Thanks for this!

Overdoziz

Banned
All I want from BF4 is being able to do change up loadouts/select spawn locations while you're watching that stupid killcam. Not being able to do anything for a good 4-5 seconds can be annoying.

Theater mode.
Yes! I knew I'd forget something important.

All I want from BF4 is being able to do change up loadouts/select spawn locations while you're watching that stupid killcam. Not being able to do anything for a good 4-5 seconds can be annoying.
They do this deliberately to try and hide the respawn delay, but with the ridiculous amount of customisation options in BF3 coupled with how tedious it can be to change them, yeah it can be very annoying.

Evolved1

So I finally watched this...

The part I was having a rough time with comes up at 14:50. First, this dude playing is horrible. I'm actually sitting here so pissed off that this guy made it through that doorway.

It's like he takes no fire from the guys that come down on the right. He doesn't even look in their direction. I get lit up by those fuckers, and cannot even make it through the doorway.

I've done it a dozen times, at least. Every time I easily drop the guys at 12 o'clock, but the dudes at 3 o'clock rip me apart before I get through the door.

I've even tried using whatshisname as a human shield to absorb that fire from the right... still die.

So apparently this is just some bullshit matter of chance... and probably the next time I do it I'll make it through.

But this is the kind of crap that is scattered all throughout the campaign.

AlexBasch

Help me understand something.

Why people hate Stingers so much? I know they have a lock-on feature that just lets me aim at a heli, lock it on and shoot a missile, hopefully taking a pilot down. But they do have counter-measures against that, no?

By the rules I'm seeing from servers, is the usual consensus that only helicopter/jet fights are the proper and "legit" way to take down air enemies? Because I'm shit at piloting stuff and I always end up in matches where the enemy controls all (and I mean all) the vehicles.

I just took down three helicopters and one jet with a squad protecting me from snipers and other infantry, but I got kicked and maybe banned from a server that didn't list those rules.

TheSeks

Stingers are broken with the Stinger buff update months back. Stingers can lock-on from any range and height now. Some people can't understand and have to banbanban it instead of dealing with it.

Frankly, jets are pointless with the exception of air-to-ground but most just want to hold their dicks in their hands and dogfight.

Which leaves helicopters: Useful but not needed.

So: Get on the fucking ground and work on your infantry skills, pilots, if Stingers bother you that much.

AlexBasch

Stingers are broken with the Stinger buff update months back. Stingers can lock-on from any range and height now. Some people can't understand and have to banbanban it instead of dealing with it.

Frankly, jets are pointless with the exception of air-to-ground but most just want to hold their dicks in their hands and dogfight.

Which leaves helicopters: Useful but not needed.

So: Get on the fucking ground and work on your infantry skills, pilots, if Stingers bother you that much.
Now I get why I had a a whole squad to guard me out. :lol I still want to pilot the jets for quick transportation or get down one or two enemies, not spend the whole fight in there, but thanks for the input.

I just had the most hilarious BF3 fight in my short career. The whole enemy team was made out of only Recons. No "I'll spot and take down a few enemies to help out" but ONLY, RECONS.

So what our team does? Troll them the fuck out. You want to camp in your base? Be my guest. We dominated the three points and attacked their Recon base with tanks, infantry (I love the G36C so much) and some rockets.

The most funny thing, is that they never tried another strategy. "Okay, let's go out and fight infantry or shoot some fucking rockets at the tanks decimating us." Nope, they sniped the whole battle, and I got some hatemail. Shit was glorious.

-Stranger-

I'm trying to get all the MP achievements in this, then I'm going to give the campaign a second chance.

I got the complete warrior one last night, it took me a few hours!

Top Bottom