• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Question... why isn't sixaxis an option for pilot camera on PS3?

Having to hold the directional is really annoying... and considering you can barely see shit when you're trying to fly low and fast (you have to keep the nose pointed into the ground to maintain your speed) just seems like common sense to use the damn motion control to at least simulate something close to headtracking.

This would really improve piloting air vehicles... especially in HC servers.

Question... why isn't sixaxis an option for pilot camera on PS3?

Having to hold the directional is really annoying... and considering you can barely see shit when you're trying to fly low and fast (you have to keep the nose pointed into the ground to maintain your speed) just seems like common sense to use the damn motion control to at least simulate something close to headtracking.

This would really improve piloting air vehicles... especially in HC servers.

nobody does sixaxis controls. not even some first party studios. that was just a gimmick Sony added because they wanted to quick copy the Wii and have something to excuse not having rumble.

I dont know anyone that doesnt use rumble. It feels weird firing a weapon and not getting any input from the controller, or during explosions.

Rumble helps.

What has amazed me about this game is for me it's taken them 12 months to get right, ever since Aftermath came out i've been having much more fun with it. Everything seems a lot more balanced and there are so many good official servers now i don't have to worry about stacked teams and dodgy admins.

What are stacked teams?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I use rumble. I can't play any console game besides fighting games without it. Ever since MGS used it to good effect.

I miss it in handhelds.

AlexBasch

I miss it in PC games that don't support the 360 controller.

There's something about feeling the feedback of riding a bike, shooting a gun or even in FIFA, it's a nice touch when the controller vibrates if you smash the ball on the crossbar or at the end of penalty kicks.

I actually feel like I'm shooting worse if I turn off the rumble. Feels weird.

-Stranger-

Okay i got the EoD bot kill and unlocked the MTAR.

I just carried the bot around with me, my eyes lit up when i saw some guy using a Mortar in the middle of the desert in Gulf of Oman.

He never saw it coming =P

AlexBasch

Enter Rush battle.

Enemy grabs two tanks and a truck. Most of my team are snipers. It took less than ten minutes for the enemy to get to our last stronghold.

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

Fuck you guys. I'm out.

AlexBasch

Fucking Rush battle. Our squad was doing well keeping the enemy at bay, shooting down helicopters and picking incoming targets.

But christ, as soon they got in our M-COM? Our team got flushed the hell out of the M-COM zone and we had to fight our way to the goddamn M-COM.

I think enjoy attacking more than defending. At least the braindead assault guys do a good job of mowing everything in their way, and some of us actually arm the bomb on the computer.

EDIT: It's a shame nobody plays Tank Superiority. ): I was starting to get the hang of it and I'm improving my tank fighting skills. Oh well.

I have over 200 hours in battlefield 3 on XBOX 360. Always play RUSH mode so anyone who wants to play with a pretty good squad mate should add me .. Scofield 94941 . Need some new BF3 friends

TheSeks

Battlefield 3 is currently on sale for $12 (http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.225064100)

This is the vanilla version only and does not include any DLC. I'm tempted by this but had a few questions:

1. Is the PC community still active?
    Is the vanilla content still played?
    Is this even worth buying? The Premium version is still $50 and isn't discounted.

Thanks!

Wrong thread?

Also I still have 0 multikills since that assignment came in but I had like 2-3 before it. DIIIIIIIIICE.

str8-h4x

So I bought BF3 on xbox when it was released, the next week I abandoned it for call of duty.

Question - if I were to buy a used copy, my unlock code should still work for online, yes?

If that's the case - is there any chance of a noob even enjoying the game at this point without all of the DLC?

I've been watching videos and it's been getting me pretty excited.

GT: NEBRASKA HUSTLE

I'm pretty positive I will get the game if you guys say I've got a snowballs chance in hell.

Thanks!

TheSeks

So I bought BF3 on xbox when it was released, the next week I abandoned it for call of duty.

Question - if I were to buy a used copy, my unlock code should still work for online, yes?!

No. You must buy the unlock/online code for $10 if you buy used.

str8-h4x

He already bought the game once... his original code should be valid/activated. Afaik.

Correct, I have already activated an online pass from an original purchase.

I take it with these responses, the game is still accessible for at BF noob? Anyone care to take me under wing for a few rounds?

Thanks!
Daniel

Evolved1

Correct, I have already activated an online pass from an original purchase.

I take it with these responses, the game is still accessible for at BF noob? Anyone care to take me under wing for a few rounds?

Thanks!
Daniel

Yeah, there are plenty of people who only play the vanilla maps... but you'd have trouble playing with gaffers probably. Since we regularly play all the map packs except Close Quarters.

But if you bought the game when it released... didn't you get the limited edition (all launch editions were "limited")?

That would give you free access to the B2K expansion. Which is the most widely played next to vanilla.

str8-h4x

yep I should have karaka. Good to know!

I appreciate your answers guys. I'm off to find a good beginners guide to study while I'm still here in the office :)

Evolved1

yep I should have karaka. Good to know!

I appreciate your answers guys. I'm off to find a good beginners guide to study while I'm still here in the office :)

I will give you a beginner's guide:

• Learn to pilot vehicles in empty servers. Do not waste your team's armor/tickets so you can learn how not to crash.
  • Do not ever bail on vehicles, especially powerful armor... the enemy will steal and repair it, and you will have single-handedly lost the match for your side.
  • The best way to get vehicle unlocks in the beginning, is to be a gunner. Unlock the basic shit as a gunner before you start piloting.
  • Hit select button to spot, and do this always. (beware of cooldown)
  • "Snipers" hurt the team more often than they help. But good recon players can be essential to winning.
  • Learn the basic kit stuff and use it... always throw ammo, medpacks, motion sensors.

This is the basic stuff... as far as how to kit, what attachments to use, how Flares, SOFLAM, JAVELINS, EOD bots, or ECM works, for that kinda stuff ask someone or check a youtube guide. Because those things matter, but the first list is stuff essential to winning in BF. Or at least essential to not giving away winnable matches.

str8-h4x

I will give you a beginner's guide:

• Learn to pilot vehicles in empty servers. Do not waste your team's armor/tickets so you can learn how not to crash.
  • Do not ever bail on vehicles, especially powerful armor... the enemy will steal and repair it, and you will have single-handedly lost the match for your side.
  • The best way to get vehicle unlocks in the beginning, is to be a gunner. Unlock the basic shit as a gunner before you start piloting.
  • Hit select button to spot, and do this always. (beware of cooldown)
  • "Snipers" hurt the team more often than they help. But good recon players can be essential to winning.
  • Learn the basic kit stuff and use it... always throw ammo, medpacks, motion sensors.

This is the basic stuff... as far as how to kit, what attachments to use, how Flares, SOFLAM, JAVELINS, EOD bots, or ECM works, for that kinda stuff ask someone or check a youtube guide. Because those things matter, but the first list is stuff essential to winning in BF. Or at least essential to not giving away winnable matches.

I haven't played "proper" battlefield since 2142 on PC - I won't ever get into a pilot seat in a real match until I know that I can be effective. And +1 on bailing on heavy armor, blow it up if you have to bail.

I'll check out some guides for the rest - I just want to be as effective as possible while learning the maps and getting used to the "feel" of the game.

I appreciate the info and responses, boss!

Evolved1

Hey if you're a team player and don't give away armor... you're already better than most people who play the game.

well, i haven't been banned from a server in a while... probably because i've mostly been playing on the same few servers... lol, i like how going 16-0 with a LAV is ok, but don't you dare shoot people in the face with a JNG-90

TheSeks

I'm guessing you got banned from that FoG server GAF keeps joining because it's hardcore no minimap so it's included with the softcore servers because DICE added that filter by default with the server browser (check your listings, dudes)?

I'm guessing you got banned from that FoG server GAF keeps joining because it's hardcore no minimap so it's included with the softcore servers because DICE added that filter by default with the server browser (check your listings, dudes)?

no, it was some random 200% rush server. i dunno why, but one of my friends loves 200-300% rush...

well, i haven't been banned from a server in a while... probably because i've mostly been playing on the same few servers... lol, i like how going 16-0 with a LAV is ok, but don't you dare shoot people in the face with a JNG-90

I've been using a JNG-90 w/ 8x scope and laser sight since I watched this vid from that Spaniard's channel that someone linked earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsQWFvP9a5Y

I'm no where close to that, it was a feat in itself just unlocking the 8x. I can't tell if he uses steadyshot/breath holding/whatever and if he does, whether he has it set to one click or click and hold.

TheSeks

I've been using a JNG-90 w/ 8x scope and laser sight since I watched this vid from that Spaniard's channel that someone linked earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsQWFvP9a5Y

I'm no where close to that, it was a feat in itself just unlocking the 8x. I can't tell if he uses steadyshot/breath holding/whatever and if he does, whether he has it set to one click or click and hold.

He's using the laser as a blinder or accuracy buff (IIRC it gives an accuracy buff while quick-scoping since "scoping in" hasn't registered yet so there's the hip-fire accuracy buff) and quick-scoping, I think. No breath fuckery.

Impressive, and I'm no where on that level to do that but more power to him.

He's using the laser as a blinder or accuracy buff (IIRC it gives an accuracy buff while quick-scoping since "scoping in" hasn't registered yet so there's the hip-fire accuracy buff) and quick-scoping, I think. No breath fuckery.

Impressive, and I'm no where on that level to do that but more power to him.

Hmmm, that sounds like what he does here with the SV98 and acog or 3.4x (can't tell), which is just insane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYG2L37vbTw

TheSeks

Hmmm, that sounds like what he does here with the SV98 and acog or 3.4x (can't tell), which is just insane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYG2L37vbTw

Yeah, that one is readily apparent (but I don't see the laser being on there, does the laser give the hip-fire accuracy buff even while off?), because that's what some of the "pro" snipers that were assaults with the VSS or bolt-actions in Bad Company 2 with the 4x scope/red dot scope did. L1->R1-ing in rhythm as soon as they could because they were telling the game "I'm scoping -- I'm fir -- I'm not scoping in -- ing." And the game is like "LOL WUT? Okay, so you're not scoping in? Bonus!" (Where as in BC2 the quick-scope method was giving the accuracy bonus of scoping in instantly.)

AlexBasch

Man, piloting jets is tough. I was amazed at some guy that gunned me down and had like 3-3.5k jet kills. :/ Got heat seekers though, hopefully those will aid me to get my first kill.

Evolved1

Man, piloting jets is tough. I was amazed at some guy that gunned me down and had like 3-3.5k jet kills. :/ Got heat seekers though, hopefully those will aid me to get my first kill.

Most of my jet kills come via the guns... but then again I'm a pretty shitty jet pilot for the most part.

Though, I will give you this one piece of advice that has made me a lot better than I was... chase view. Fly in chase view and only pop into the cockpit when you have a guy right in front of you. If he starts to bank hard, jump back into the chase view until you can get on his six again.

Also, consider messing with the buttons so it's easy for you to hit the break and fire your guns without having to do finger yoga.

For me break is L2 and I fire with R1.

AlexBasch

Firing the guns isn't that bad, I can lock them on, fire and use my flares just fine. Most of my deaths come from panicking at some turn, forgetting the controls are reversed and so on.

Rammed the jet against some snipers in a building, but didn't count as jet kills for some reason. :lol

Need to improve my turning and control, but the chase view is helpful advice. :)

Evolved1

Firing the guns isn't that bad, I can lock them on, fire and use my flares just fine. Most of my deaths come from panicking at some turn, forgetting the controls are reversed and so on.

Rammed the jet against some snipers in a building, but didn't count as jet kills for some reason. :lol

Need to improve my turning and control, but the chase view is helpful advice. :)

It's kind of hard for me to fly jets, because I like to fly the choppers where up is up and down is down (non inverted -- but I think BF3 actually calls this inverted?) and having it forced to be that way for the jets too is really annoying. Cause in jets I like inverted y-axis.

So the whole thing is just really weird, and honestly I hate the way they fly anyway. I pretty much hate everything about the jets in BF3, but they forced us to have them in nearly every vehicle map, so I'm trying to learn them.

It's really frustrating when the other team has some high lvl jet pilots and they are just way too powerful... and if your side doesn't have decent pilots, its a damn nightmare sometimes to use any vehicles. You basically have to go straight infantry.

Pretty much every weapon and vehicle in BF3 has at least two ways of being consistently challenged/taken out. Except jets. Only jets can kill jets. The stingers that have made chopper flight so hard these days? Lol jet pilots laugh at that shit.

Only thing that can really kill jets is other jets, and that shit bothers me... so I'm struggling to get proficient. Even thought I fucking despise them. And they shouldn't be in the damn console version of this game, lol, but I'm a broken record on that point.

AlexBasch

Pretty much every weapon and vehicle in BF3 has at least two ways of being consistently challenged/taken out. Except jets. Only jets can kill jets. The stingers that have made chopper flight so hard these days? Lol jet pilots laugh at that shit.
Stingers and IGLA's do a decent job against them. I got kicked and banned from a server because I managed to take four of them thanks to a support guy and his ammo box.

Even if you don't take them down, they get annoyed and may choke at the constant LOCK on them and either I cause them to crash or they're taken down by choppers or something.

I don't mind vehicles, jets or tanks that much. I only get really angry when they're all taken by the other team and I have Recons or Assaults not dropping health and emptying their rifles to nowhere.

TheSeks

LMAO did I get kicked that Seine Defense Round?

Anyway, rejoined and ate shit for like five rounds before I got tired of it. Joined Scavenger for the On Top of the Richter Scale unlocking and won some/lost some but also had some serious death issues at times. I really hate that mode because the spawns will spawn you too far from a primary so you're going to be out-gunned within the first five minutes of the round being over. Ugh.

Evolved1

Tonight was pretty bad... my brother and his kids are over for the weekend. My internet is already pretty shitty, but he had the laptop going while I was trying to play. lol didn't work so great.

And of course tonight we face the stiffest challenge we've seen in forever. I think I was doing more harm than good.

Tonight was pretty bad... my brother and his kids are over for the weekend. My internet is already pretty shitty, but he had the laptop going while I was trying to play. lol didn't work so great.

And of course tonight we face the stiffest challenge we've seen in forever. I think I was doing more harm than good.

i know the feeling. my connection has been terrible all month.

Lakitu

st5fu

Know that feel.

My connection has been shitty this month especially. Multiple laptops, smart phones, consoles all connected probably don't help. I've been lagging quite badly.

AlexBasch

360GAF killed it last night. Finally got this, too:

Goddammit. Congrats.

I could have gotten my first one, was playing Conquest in Operation Métro and spawned somewhere next to the left entrance of the metro station, turn my head I'm behind three or four enemies taking cover.

So what did I do? Took them down with only a clip of my UMP45.

Before realizing I had a RPG-7 because I picked engineer.

ohgodimsofuckingstupid.png

Evolved1

Goddammit. Congrats.

I could have gotten my first one, was playing Conquest in Operation Métro and spawned somewhere next to the left entrance of the metro station, turn my head I'm behind three or four enemies taking cover.

So what did I do? Took them down with only a clip of my UMP45.

Before realizing I had a RPG-7 because I picked engineer.

ohgodimsofuckingstupid.png

RPG probably wouldn't have killed them all... they nerfed splash damage on rockets into the ground.

Top Bottom