• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

JJD

C is a trap. Good teams probably want to hold C because they know they can mow down the lemmings that rush in there mostly blind and bank kills faster than the bleed. (If there even is a bleed, since they need only one more flag to prevent it.)

But, in order to really hold C you need to commit some guys to it. At least one guy on each entrance and a support or recon upstairs. It weakens you to cap other flags.

But... if the smurfs keep running into your trap and you're stacking kills it's worth holding it.

If you play a team that says, "Fuck C you guys can have it" then they need to bring the fight to other flags our lose to the bleed.

Teams that Focus on C usually go after A, since it's closest. The Team that holds D (imo the most important Flag on the map) can easily reinforce B.

If your team focuses on D/B/A and doesn't burn a million tickets trying to rush into C, then you're in pretty good position. All other things being equal, of course.

Btw... the things that make C easy to defend actually work against it when you set up basecamp there and try to attack out of it.

Evolved if we relinquish C, we are only fighting for 3 flags, the enemy already has one. If they manage to get just another one it's a stalemate and the bleed is defined by kills. What is the easier flag to hold and kill attackers? C!

Remember if we are consistently holding 3 out of 4 flags we are not having a close game.

You only need 2 good players to defend C. One on the second floor of the building can easily watch out both stairs. Your best bet to take out a guy camped there are explosives (grenades, M320 or RPGs), but you're more open to then than he is because of heigh advantage. Another guy can easily watch out to tunnel leading to the russian spawn. You'll still have 10 guys going around capturing other flags. I'd say it's a good trade off.

You'll only need more than 2 guys to defend it if the enemy is committing more than 2 people to attacking it thus leaving the other flags open as well. See were I'm getting at?

Your argument about good teams holding C to mow down lemmings is fine for easy pub games, but on competitive games there are no lemmings to be mowed.

A flag is open to anyone considering how easily tanks can get to it, that's why I think it's the least important. Getting to D from B is not that easy. There's only one way (the street) and D have the heigh advantage. It's easier to hold D if you have C than hold D if you have B IMO.

From C you can get to D even from out of bounds. So you can go from the main street, from the out of bounds corridor from the russian spawn. If you go from the street you can get there from C by the tunnel leading to the russian spawn or by the middle corridor that gives access to A as well. There are at least 3 entry points, 2 of then converging on the same place.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
My tactic is conservative. I'm talking about holding IMO the best defensive flags on that map and letting the other team waste tickets trying to take them from us. Having C and D allows you to play conservative and make tiny pushes to B or A.

I don't disagree with this. If you are RU and can get C for pretty low cost.

D and C are the most powerful flags on the map.

Once a team sets up C-shop though and really focuses effort defending it... I don't think it's worth the headache to retake it. I'd go for DAB bleed at that point.

But, you know matches are real fluid things and can break in a lot of different ways.

I personally think C is kind of a trap, but I don't think you guys are wrong either.

tn2007

I don't disagree with this. If you are RU and can get C for pretty low cost.

D and C are the most powerful flags on the map.

Once a team sets up C-shop though and really focuses effort defending it... I don't think it's worth the headache to retake it. I'd go for DAB bleed at that point.

But, you know matches are real fluid things and can break in a lot of different ways.

I personally think C is kind of a trap, but I don't think you guys are wrong either.

My main point is if you lose C your close to being fucked. RU side should win the game 90% of the time if everything is equal in skills. So losing C means the US team will have A,B, and C. If RU team tries to get C back it will be the most difficult one out of the three, which means they will waste a lot of tickets to get it back.

JJD

C and D flags are the easiest flags to defend which IMO make them the most valuable flags on seine. C is the most important because it's a short ways to A which allows multiple attempts to take it ,while still giving you time to spawn back at C if you get wiped out. C gives you a high ground defense as well which makes it difficult to take. Remember D is also important because you get 3 good vantage points: guys in Blue and Green buildings and guys on second/third story of D. Having guys in blue and green allows you to overlook B and D. Having guys in D let's you look over Blue and Green. B is least important to me as it is the easiest flag to take compare to the other flags.

Yeah I agree, Russians have all the good sides.

You know that's a good point. I always prioritized B over D because if the enemy is trapped they are going for B 95% of the time. When I do that I'm thinking about easy games, but you don't need to worry about those games.

When we are having a hard time I'll prioritize D over B from now on.

D is indeed better protected from B than vice versa. I even said so without paying attention to my flag priorities on my last post to Evolved. Thanks for pointing that out!

tn2007

You know that's a good point. I always prioritized B over D because if the enemy is trapped they are going for B 95% of the time. When I do that I'm thinking about easy games, but you don't need to worry about those games.

When we are having a hard time I'll prioritize D over B from now on.

D is indeed better protected from B than vice versa.

Honestly everyone here has a valid point depending on the scenario. I'm just glad we all can talk about it and challenge our selfs to coming up with better tactics. And I want to thank XBOXGAF on actually contributing to this thread for once :)

tn2007

Changing subjects a little bit...

We should do some custom rules games again if we managed to get at least 8 guys online at the same time.

We did a pistols/knife game a long time ago and it was fun as hell! I couldn't stop laughing the whole game, it was hilarious!

I saw a video of pump action shotguns with slugs only and it seemed so fun...I wish we did that kind of stuff again!

Hell yeah!! That should be the only time PS3GAF plays against eachother. Magnum only, knife only, slugs only, sniper rifles only, and of course smoke only! BTW I will be tea/team bagging everyone if this ever happens. Dip dip potato chip.

Ok your speaking as if we have 3 flags already which than yes we don't have to get C, but we are speaking as if the map was neutral. What flags do you go after? RU side will take C and D first and push to A and B. US will take A and B but will have a more difficult time to take C and D. Hence RU side having an advantage.

well, i already said that at neutral you cap the closest two and move forward. at that point, the priorities come into play and C falls to 4th on the list.

Hell yeah!! That should be the only time PS3GAF plays against eachother. Magnum only, knife only, slugs only, sniper rifles only, and of course smoke only! BTW I will be tea/team bagging everyone if this ever happens. Dip dip potato chip.

8 player Gun Master so i can get the medal...

tn2007

well, i already said that at neutral you cap the closest two and move forward. at that point, the priorities come into play and C falls to 4th on the list.

How is it 4th on the list if your RU side lol? Read my posts on why C is important and again we are talking about a competitive game and not some pub game.

How about hide and seek on a TDM map with only EOD bots!

JJD

How is it 4th on the list if your RU side lol? Read my posts on why C is important and again we are talking about a competitive game and not some pub game.

How about hide and seek on a TDM map with only EOD bots!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

This is so ridiculous that I would be up for it...once! =)

8 player Gun Master so i can get the medal...

Can you change the weapons now? Take out the timed M320 and I'm game! I lost way too many gun master games because of that ridiculous gun...I usually get it kinda quickly and just get stuck with it until someone gets lucky and score a kill with it leaving me behind. Yeah, I'm salty... =(

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

This is so ridiculous that I would be up for it...once! =)

Can you change the weapons now? Take out the timed M320 and I'm game! I lost way too many gun master games because of that ridiculous gun...I usually get it kinda quickly and just get stuck with it until someone gets lucky and score a kill with it leaving me behind. Yeah, I'm salty... =(

there are several weapon sets now and you can set forward or reverse order.

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Gun_Master

Evolved1

Sorry bros just not in the mood for BF3 tonight. Been kind of an annoying day working on the car... wasn't feeling the competitive gaming tonight.

BoatAck

Sorry bros just not in the mood for BF3 tonight. Been kind of an annoying day working on the car... wasn't feeling the competitive gaming tonight.
Yeah, I quit that match too. I f'n hate playing on European servers. My ping is awful. It really makes me rage because I play like shit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, DAT 2X EXP tomorrow (and this weekend, I think?) for Valentines Day. Who wants to hit up Metro and let me revive them to Colonel 100? :D!?

I need to level my classes evenly and that one is a little behind the others from hitting star 6

TheSeks

B, one thing: I dunno what happened to your LAV but if you pulled back that last set Karkand: Don't. If I arm, fire wildly and go out in a blaze of glory. They suddenly massed on A as soon as I armed it and the only reason we took that last set was because I cleared out top level (which THANKFULLY wasn't swamped with people in that one little corner) letting you get that arm, I take out the two people coming through the door (thank god I had thermals at that moment) and stood my ground after like 2-3 lock attempts (where I backed into cover to prevent a total lock or block their attack. They got be 2-3 of the times and then someone on our team THANKFULLY repaired me to keep me up. Oy.

Also I'm not commanding orders for my health. D: If I'm D/B/D/B/D/B/D/B... attack/defending and you're near it, please try to go to it. D: I dunno how we suddenly beat them back on Oman Conquest after I flew the F-35 to D and basically last-minute parachuted down at like 300MPH with 50 feet left before splat but man... oy. I thought we lost it as soon as you kept sitting on C and I'm like "FUCK C! GO FOR D! D:!"

Also before you joined that first server I bailed on after we went derp mode I totally made Olimpia proud with smoke. Also got 2 smoke kills that would've impressed Faceless as I was smoking wildly and just nailed two dudes in smoke. :D

Also 14 rounds: 10 wins vs 4 losses.

Naked Lunch

Its quite amusing seeing almost my entire 360 friendslist (who have all been on the "other" shooters the past 2 months or so) all hopping back on Battlefield 3 regularly again. Even people who were introduced to the franchise with 3 or were never that hardcore about it in the first place. Its almost like the other shooters hit that wall in February. BF3 is just where its at these days - its got legs and the depth. BC2 was nearly dead on consoles this far into release - with half empty servers nightly. Glad people are giving Battlefield its due on the consoles.

TheSeks

BC2 was nearly dead on consoles this far into release -

Hahahahahaha.
Hahahahahahaha
Hahahahahaha. No. It wasn't. Give BF3 another year and see if it's as dead as BC2 is now. BC2's first year (which BF3 is closing on in two weeks) was just as busy.

JJD

Its quite amusing seeing almost my entire 360 friendslist (who have all been on the "other" shooters the past 2 months or so) all hopping back on Battlefield 3 regularly again. Even people who were introduced to the franchise with 3 or were never that hardcore about it in the first place. Its almost like the other shooters hit that wall in February. BF3 is just where its at these days - its got legs and the depth. BC2 was nearly dead on consoles this far into release - with half empty servers nightly. Glad people are giving Battlefield its due on the consoles.

Did you play BC2 on the Atari?

Because I played it on the PS3 from beginning to end and it was more or less the same as BF3 if not better.

Never had any trouble finding full servers on any map something I can't say that about BF3, but then again besides Vietnam BC2 map packs were free (if you bought the game new).

I can't really comment on the 360 version, but I suspect it was pretty much the same.

Naked Lunch

Im speaking of the 360 version. BC2 really was dead 1.5 years into release. Every game was half full - Vietnam games even worse. With no server browser it was impossible to find populated games frequently. I put nearly 600 hours on BC2 console. A BC2 server browser certainly would have remedied this - but there is just no way you can tell me BC2 had as big a population or even more than 3 this far into release. Simply not true.

If you want to talk facts, just looking at Major Nelson's most played list BC2 dropped off that list entirely a year into release. BF3 is still in the top ten as recently as last week. A memory check might be in order.

BC2's first year (which BF3 is closing on in two weeks) was just as busy.
Am I missing something here? BF3 came out in Oct 2011.

TheSeks

You're right. I'm thinking BC2's release which will be three years old on the 4th.

Anyway, the point is 1 and a half years later BC2 was still popular until BF3 dropped. Then the typical console migration happened and the game died. Only reason BF3 hasn't in your mindview is because BF4 isn't dropped for a good year.

JJD

Im speaking of the 360 version. BC2 really was dead 1.5 years into release. Every game was half full - Vietnam games even worse. With no server browser it was impossible to find populated games frequently. I put nearly 600 hours on BC2 console. A BC2 server browser certainly would have remedied this - but there is just no way you can tell me BC2 had as big a population or even more than 3 this far into release. Simply not true.

If you want to talk facts, just looking at Major Nelson's most played list BC2 dropped off that list entirely a year into release. BF3 is still in the top ten as recently as last week. A memory check might be in order.

Maybe the matter was with the 360 version? Because frankly as I said I never had a problem finding full games on the PS3 until BF3 dropped.

Faceless can probably clear this up on the 360 and PS3 better than both of us.

But again I could find full games on every single vanilla map weeks prior to BF3 release. Obviously by then the overall BC2 player numbers had greatly diminished, but finding full games was never an issue on PS3.

Hell on popular maps like Arica you could find dozens of games at 02:00 AM on the week BF3 dropped. I know because I could only get BF3 1 or 2 week after release so I was stuck with BC2 while all the cool kids played the new thing.

Vietnam was pretty empty but normal BC2 was still packed all the way up to the BF3 launch. even after the BF3 launch it was still busy enough and only really seemed to drop in players when 2012 hit.

#9 (a year after release) http://majornelson.com/2011/03/24/live-activity-for-week-of-march-14/
#7 http://majornelson.com/2011/04/20/live-activity-for-week-of-april-11/
#8 http://majornelson.com/2011/05/12/live-activity-for-week-of-may-2/
#9 http://majornelson.com/2011/05/18/live-activity-for-week-of-may-9/
#9 http://majornelson.com/2011/05/25/live-activity-for-week-of-may-16/
#7 http://majornelson.com/2011/06/15/live-activity-for-week-of-june-6/
#7 http://majornelson.com/2011/06/22/l...-june-13thnow-includes-windows-phone-7-games/
#7 http://majornelson.com/2011/07/27/live-activity-for-week-of-july-18th/
#6 http://majornelson.com/2011/08/03/live-activity-for-week-of-july-25th/
#6 http://majornelson.com/2011/08/10/live-activity-for-week-of-august-1st/
#8 http://majornelson.com/2011/09/08/live-activity-for-week-of-august-29th/
#10 http://majornelson.com/2011/09/29/live-activity-for-week-of-september-19th/
#10 http://majornelson.com/2011/10/26/live-activity-for-week-of-october-17th/
#16 (Battlefield 3 launch) http://majornelson.com/2011/11/02/live-activity-for-week-of-october-24th/

BF3 is hanging out in about the same chart positions a year after its release. and by 'about the same' i mean BF3 hasn't hit #7 in a while, but it manages to be in the #8-#12 area.

TheSeks

Fresh Ether. Fact of the matter is console communities don't stick around for old games when a sequel to a game comes out. This was known by people playing OG X-box titles with the exception of Halo 2 on Live.

TheSeks

Oh boy, I sure do love having 6 tickets left, having fish in a barrel their team can't reach me until B joins.

And then we lose the game. SMFH.

And then EA Online fucks up and won't let me join a different server.

Kak.efes

Oh boy, I sure do love having 6 tickets left, having fish in a barrel their team can't reach me until B joins.

And then we lose the game. SMFH.

And then EA Online fucks up and won't let me join a different server.

Sometimes people just need a little leadership.

Your message made me laugh.

TheSeks

Hey, m00fie_69: Who's the one that is garbage now?

You leave, after I tea-bag you 2-3 times after you attempt to take me out AGAIN after you send that message after I harm you with the Havoc and Dan finishes you off? Suck my dick, bitch. Also for a "30 year old" according to your PSN profile, I'd expect a more mature person that simply left instead of calling other players garbage.

29016_10100170517914545_1076084930_n.jpg

155257_10100170517909555_678278044_n.jpg

379342_10100170524127095_748722385_n.jpg

307955_10100170518079215_122756870_n.jpg

179247_10100170521367625_1292490094_n.jpg

379317_10100170521347665_775314823_n.jpg

580999_10100170521322715_322704102_n.jpg

62578_10100170521382595_557154603_n.jpg

TheSeks

Seks, that dude is going to get A LOT of hate mail after you posted his PSN user name here! Lol

Eh, if lurkers hassle him that's their prerogative. I ain't calling the hounds on him, but that mail was out of nowhere. If he hassles me, I'll just add him to my huge PSN blocklist and be done with it.

JJD

It's all fun and games until someone calls their lawyer and sues your ass! Lololololol!

cF1o8GGl.jpg

I received this one after posting some hate mail on the old BC2 thread.

The guy was using a secondary account to harass me after I killed him too many times. When I posted it on GAF he received so much spam that he actually sent me this one on his main account.

He though GAF was my blog! LOL!

Evolved1

People actually lurk the battlefield threads?

lol... hey lurkers, a conscientious PSA: "don't ever take my advice, I'm wrong 99% of the time and I kinda suck at this game".

There, now I don't feel as guilty for leading them astray.

Also, to that I will add: I am so sorry.

Hey, m00fie_69: Who's the one that is garbage now?

You leave, after I tea-bag you 2-3 times after you attempt to take me out AGAIN after you send that message after I harm you with the Havoc and Dan finishes you off? Suck my dick, bitch. Also for a "30 year old" according to your PSN profile, I'd expect a more mature person that simply left instead of calling other players garbage.

ahahahha that guy left because of me.

TheSeks

09iG9gd.jpg

You repaired my LAV as I twice-wire-guided hit him and then volleyed him into a disable. He disabled me, but you got out to repair and he didn't have back-up. He died to me but you got taken out while we had like 30% more health than him. And he thinks that's "hacking?"

Oh, he mad.

09iG9gd.jpg

You repaired my LAV as I twice-wire-guided hit him and then volleyed him into a disable. He disabled me, but you got out to repair and he didn't have back-up. He died to me but you got taken out while we had like 30% more health than him. And he thinks that's "hacking?"

Oh, he mad.

i killed him a few times including once on foot on C where i guess is the spot that he claims he tried to knife me.

TheSeks

Yeah, he took me out at D like once. I got their LAV and killed him three times before he left. I dunno, dudes mad salty though.

Overdoziz

Banned
Vehicles in BF4 should have more localized damage. Hitting the tail section of a helicopter would only disable that part of the vehicle, hitting the cannon of a tank will only disable its ability to shoot, hitting it in the vehicle section will make it immobile, stuff like that. I want to see helicopters spin out of control dammit!

TheSeks

Vehicles in BF4 should have more localized damage. Hitting the tail section of a helicopter would only disable that part of the vehicle, hitting the cannon of a tank will only disable its ability to shoot, hitting it in the vehicle section will make it immobile, stuff like that. I want to see helicopters spin out of control dammit!

Disable should do that, it's waaaay too easy to keep a bird in the air with a disable to land it. Shouldn't be like that.

Evolved1

Idk... it's kind of difficult to pilot a disabled chopper, I mean you can nurse it away for repairs easily enough if you have the altitude, but often it requires you to make a pretty dicey landing somewhere.

Honestly, it's just too fun to fight against the pull of a disabled chopper and land it somewhere safe for them to remove that. I hope they don't. It's a battlefield moment.

And anyway, all the other shit explodes like little bombs when you hit them with an RPG.

The little birds for example, they just fucking detonate... other day I set a personal best blowing up approx 5 of them in one B2K round. It's a pretty good payoff.

You land an RPG on any chopper and it explodes. But you actually have to land the fucking shot as opposed to the easy mode stinger shit. Sorry, you don't deserve the kill for the stinger. You'll likely get the disable plus vehicle destroy, but you don't deserve the kills for having the game do all the work for you. It's enough that you can hassle the pilot from anywhere on the map already.

Actually land an RPG shot (or tank round) and you get your instant kills. You earned them. It requires some skill.

Maybe our rifles should just autotarget from now on... it could be like the Bullseye in Resistance. Someone spots the enemy and all the bullets just track them. I mean, why even have to aim and shit anymore. Game is soooooo much better since they introduced lock-on mechanic for every damn thing. Might as well put it on the rifles too.

I actually don't disagree with this. My comments were more about some general thoughts after reading Seks last comment about disables...

Top Bottom