• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

So they finally give us a weapon for completing a series of difficult assignments, and it's a pistol?

I'll give Activision this, they make it interesting to try new things with COD challenges and rewards. At this point, I'm just giving myself arbitrary goals, like 2.0 k/d, 1000 kills with each gun, etc. Gun camo and dogtags are worthless cosmetics.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The S-Tac isn't given out normally. It's been DICE-employee exclusive until now. So in a sense it's new for the community.

TheSeks

That's the silenced M1911 with laser sight right?

Hummm...I want it! =)

There's only one S-TAC in the game unless they're adding another one with End Game (which would be a DICE troll so totally expect that), right now. Which means logically they're giving it to us if you complete that assignment, which: is might nice of them, since Bungle--er--"Bungie" never gave their armor permutations out for Halo: Reach after they were done with the game (but they did with Halo 3 but in the form of having to achievement "Vidmaster" challenges).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
No other weapons with endgame, right?

I was hoping for some WWII rifles, but guess that ended with BC2.

TheSeks

No other weapons with endgame, right?

I was hoping for some WWII rifles, but guess that ended with BC2.

You really shouldn't even count this with Endgame since it's been in the game since Vanilla (or Close Shitters, anyway). It's just not being given out to fans.

As far as new weapons, from that assignment list I don't see any, but who knows.

I'm pretty sure the S-Tac is a 1911 with a suppressor and tac-light.

Which is what I said.

Evolved1

I wish you could actually see the friggin laser. If you're the guy getting it pointed into your face it dazzles the entire screen, but if you're the guy aiming with it... you can barely see the damn thing. I end up just using my crosshair.

JJD

I wish you could actually see the friggin laser. If you're the guy getting it pointed into your face it dazzles the entire screen, but if you're the guy aiming with it... you can barely see the damn thing. I end up just using my crosshair.

You don't need to see the laser beam. When you equip the laser sight your crosshair gets considerably smaller, meaning your hip fire will be much more accurate since the bullet spread will be limited to the size of your crosshair.

That is the only difference to the player who equipped it. As far as BF3 goes you're not supposed to aim with a laser beam like you do on Resident Evil 4 for example. It would probably be more difficult to aim with it. The crosshair is all that matters.

You love to hipfire right Evolved? I remember you saying that you practically hip fire all time, instead of ADS. I think you should have a laser sight equipped at all times considering that the crosshair difference is substantial.

TheSeks

There's only one S-TAC in the game unless they're adding another one with End Game (which would be a DICE troll so totally expect that), right now. Which means logically they're giving it to us if you complete that assignment, which: is might nice of them, since Bungle--er--"Bungie" never gave their armor permutations out for Halo: Reach after they were done with the game (but they did with Halo 3 but in the form of having to achievement "Vidmaster" challenges).

Am I retarded? I don't see it in your post.

He said it in his mind

DUH

Dork wads, lrn2read. Or has voice-chat on your 360's gummy-wormed your brains?

JJD said:
You don't need to see the laser beam. When you equip the laser sight your crosshair gets considerably smaller, meaning your hip fire will be much more accurate since the bullet spread will be limited to the size of your crosshair.

Note it has to be ON for that smaller-crosshair. Otherwise it's just as normal as if you didn't have the laser equipped.

Frankly, it isn't worth it since 1) tactical light blinds better/more than the laser and 2) hip-fire is generally going to be CQC and in CQC you should (I hope) be able to keep a bead on a target to keep the spread within reason. You're only saving a few bullets or so with the laser. Totally not worth the slot.

Edit: I will mention that the cross-hair being somewhat smaller does help in a few hip-fire mid-range engagements but why the fuck would you be hip-firing from mid-range.

I should test the sight on snipers, I've seen people using them even when scoped in, but I've never seen the point of that since it doesn't really up the accuracy bonus even more than being scoped-in already does.

Evolved1

That is the only difference to the player who equipped it. As far as BF3 goes you're not supposed to aim with a laser beam like you do on Resident Evil 4 for example. It would probably be more difficult to aim with it. The crosshair is all that matters.

You love to hipfire right Evolved? I remember you saying that you practically hip fire all time, instead of ADS. I think you should have a laser sight equipped at all times considering that the crosshair difference is substantial.

Yeah, in BC2 I was a hipfire guy, but lately in BF3 I'm mixing in a lot of ADS too... depends.

But thanks for the explanation. I knew the bonus worked either way, but with sniper rifles I'd still love for the beam to be a little stronger.

I should test the sight on snipers, I've seen people using them even when scoped in, but I've never seen the point of that since it doesn't really up the accuracy bonus even more than being scoped-in already does.
I click it off for sniping, especially with the 12x... I swear to god it makes the shot less accurate.

I'm a pretty nasty sniper so it's not like I suck... soon as I click it off my headshots become automatic.

TheSeks

Voice chat? Nah, party chat. Suburbs, not the ghetto.

Same shit, same weak reading comprehension as far as I'm concerned. 4/10. See me after class, you two.

@Evolved: I dunno, I've never seen an improvement with either on or off with it while scoped in. But I'm not the best sniper with DICE's bullshit "Caw of Dooty" change for breath mechanics that aren't really fucking needed in a shooting game. More annoying than anything to line a shot up only for your breath to run out and then have to re-set up the shot. Oy.

Evolved1

Same shit, same weak reading comprehension as far as I'm concerned. 4/10. See me after class, you two.

@Evolved: I dunno, I've never seen an improvement with either on or off with it while scoped in. But I'm not the best sniper with DICE's bullshit "Caw of Dooty" change for breath mechanics that aren't really fucking needed in a shooting game. More annoying than anything to line a shot up only for your breath to run out and then have to re-set up the shot. Oy.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but in Bad Company 1 I was a recon 98% of the time... lol. Not the shitty kind though, but I ran sniper rifle almost exclusively because of no killcam and the laser designator. I could own armor and keep a safe eye on the objectives. My k/d with the M24 was 12 lol. Anyway, I became really good at sniping.

The breath thing doesn't bother me at all... in fact I like it cause it's one more thing the other guy has to juggle and I'm just faster that him/them to begin with. (haha most of the time anyway)

You should never run out of breath. I mean, there's more than enough... I'm not sure what you're struggling with, and maybe this will sound like really obvious advice, but are you lining up your shot before you go down scope? The key to speed is to basically dial that guy in before you go into your scope, so your final corrections only need to be very minimal. Understand the bullet drop and there's not much to it. You have to be fast to be good, so the breath thing doesn't really factor... just get used to clicking it as soon as you go down scope. Don't get the shot? Let off and quickly reset.

Maybe you have issues because you can't hear the audio cues? I imagine that could be a pain..

TheSeks

More having to find people since NO ONE FUCKING SPOTS ANYMORE. GRRRRRRRRR.

(That and trying to line-up shots on moving targets. Half the time I see someone, they see me and out gun me because of the stupid breath mechanics that wouldn't fuck me over if this was BC2 because I'd hit them in the chest and then switch to pistol and finish them off quickly.)

I will say the semi-auto snipers have kinda clicked with me since I changed their scope to use the Red-dot. I'm sure you saw me mowing people down with the SKS this past weekend, that was for an assignment and I tried out because why the hell not? Really good. I wasn't ever a fan of semi-autos in BC2 because they took too many bullets but 2-3 bullets in close-range in BF3 (and you can hip-fire it pretty effectively) and you'll be stopping most anyone.

Evolved1

More having to find people since NO ONE FUCKING SPOTS ANYMORE. GRRRRRRRRR.

(That and trying to line-up shots on moving targets. Half the time I see someone, they see me and out gun me because of the stupid breath mechanics that wouldn't fuck me over if this was BC2 because I'd hit them in the chest and then switch to pistol and finish them off quickly.)

I will say the semi-auto snipers have kinda clicked with me since I changed their scope to use the Red-dot. I'm sure you saw me mowing people down with the SKS this past weekend, that was for an assignment and I tried out because why the hell not? Really good. I wasn't ever a fan of semi-autos in BC2 because they took too many bullets but 2-3 bullets in close-range in BF3 (and you can hip-fire it pretty effectively) and you'll be stopping most anyone.

Yeah... I kinda suck with the semi-autos. Even with the low powered optics. The SKS I can get by with but that I just hipfire with the laser sight.

Only sniper rifles I like are the bolt actions... and even then I'm pretty weak in CQB with them (so that's the difference between me and the really great snipers, they can play it up close and I'm only comfortable at range) I usually just switch to a pistol since I'm really comfortable with them.

Really surprised that I'm so awful with the M14. Since it's like the BF3 version of BC2's M1 Garand.... which I loved.

I figured that would carry over, but no luck...

As far as your comment about seeing people... I should say that I'm more of a counter snipe player. I don't go down scope unless I already located the target. I scan for their scope glint and then hit them fast. They don't have time to react, and if you don't use your own scope while scanning for them, they won't see you coming. When I'm crouched, scanning the field (with my eyes, not the scope) I do my own spotting.

TheSeks

Eh, I scan the area because I'm more a support/back-up player. I shouldn't have to be spotting people because people should be spotting for me to hit the priority targets for them.

But scope-sway has fucked me more often than anything (besides the funky tracers not being able to be seen). See someone, line a shot up, hold breath, have to adjust and then fire... but right before I fire breath kicks off and fucks the shot. EVERY TIME.

I don't know if we're giving GAF a good name or bad, but PPH2 and I are getting kicked and banned from servers every night. We don't play dirty, we don't glitch or teabag (unless teabagged first), we just end up killing admins & owners and getting the boot.

...NO ONE FUCKING SPOTS ANYMORE. GRRRRRRRRR...

... I shouldn't have to be spotting people because people should be spotting for me to hit the priority targets for them...

There's a lesson about "self" and "other" in there.

On a serious tip, no recon position needs more than an ACOG. 4x magnification is more than enough for long-range. Not having scope sway and lens glint makes sniping feel like BC2.

JJD

JJD, did you get your new TV yet? You got to come back by Tuesday for some End Game action.

I'll be back for End Game man! But expect me to suck for a little while until I get the rust off!

I'm trying to clear my backlog before this gen. is over...so many bad games to play. I think I should just forget about then...

Right now I'm playing Dungeon Siege 3. Such a bad D2 clone...

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but in Bad Company 1 I was a recon 98% of the time... lol. Not the shitty kind though, but I ran sniper rifle almost exclusively because of no killcam and the laser designator. I could own armor and keep a safe eye on the objectives. My k/d with the M24 was 12 lol. Anyway, I became really good at sniping.

The breath thing doesn't bother me at all... in fact I like it cause it's one more thing the other guy has to juggle and I'm just faster that him/them to begin with. (haha most of the time anyway)

You should never run out of breath. I mean, there's more than enough... I'm not sure what you're struggling with, and maybe this will sound like really obvious advice, but are you lining up your shot before you go down scope? The key to speed is to basically dial that guy in before you go into your scope, so your final corrections only need to be very minimal. Understand the bullet drop and there's not much to it. You have to be fast to be good, so the breath thing doesn't really factor... just get used to clicking it as soon as you go down scope. Don't get the shot? Let off and quickly reset.

Maybe you have issues because you can't hear the audio cues? I imagine that could be a pain..

BC1 recon was boss. quickscope by pressing zoom+shoot! instant accuracy bonus! and laser designator was so good!

TheSeks

There's a lesson about "self" and "other" in there.

HERP DERP. I fucking spot. No one else does because ZOMG I NEED TO KILL KILL KILL LOLZ.

BC1 recon was boss. quickscope by pressing zoom+shoot! instant accuracy bonus! and laser designator was so good!

Engineer with shotgun one hit kills (if the slot-machine accuracy worked in your favor) Neostead was pretty godlike in that.

But it was all about the XM8 and the auto-injector.

Overdoziz

Banned
I wish the game would actually use the Battlelog clan system to keep people in the same team. Getting split up and trying to get into the same team again gets tiring really fast.

JJD

Man getting back in the game after almost 2 months away was horrible!

I've played better drunk than what I've played today...

Didn't feel at control at all. Overcompensated a lot when aiming.

It's going to be a while until I'm back at my usual level... =(

If there is one thing I miss most from BC2 is this. How natural it's controls felt. I once stopped playing for almost 6 months because I couldn't connect to EA servers and when I finally came back it was like I had never left.

Evolved1

Earlier Bk and I carried some teams... lol... squeaking out wins we had no business coming away with.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Man getting back in the game after almost 2 months away was horrible!

I've played better drunk than what I've played today...

Didn't feel at control at all. Overcompensated a lot when aiming.

It's going to be a while until I'm back at my usual level... =(

If there is one thing I miss most from BC2 is this. How natural it's controls felt. I once stopped playing for almost 6 months because I couldn't connect to EA servers and when I finally came back it was like I had never left.

and the parachutes.....VADS....hit detection...

JJD

and the parachutes.....VADS....hit detection...

I can live without all of those, but every time I take a little break from BF3 I have to re learn the controls all over again. It's a pain in the ass.

I've been playing this shit for almost 2 years now. It shouldn't be like that.

I never had this problem with BC2. No matter for how long I stopped playing, everything "clicked" when I came back.

BF3 is the only FPS I've played seriously were I have this issue...

Maddocks

bc2 had jungles...that alone is worth all the trouble of the game. bf3 needs a good jungle map to make me feel like I'm in predator. I want to be able to tell my squad mates,"Five meter spread. No sound."

Overdoziz

Banned
better than BF3 though
I've had no issue hitting people (unless they're vaulting over something). I will say, though, that I've often been hit while behind cover after having gone prone a second before.
bc2 had jungles...that alone is worth all the trouble of the game. bf3 needs a good jungle map to make me feel like I'm in predator. I want to be able to tell my squad mates,"Five meter spread. No sound."
I want to see a map with a swamp.

I wish the game would actually use the Battlelog clan system to keep people in the same team. Getting split up and trying to get into the same team again gets tiring really fast.

That's one of my hopes for BF4, a better party system that will get you on the same team and keep you on the same team.

Maddocks

bf4 needs to bring back the kick player from squad feature. Clan gets separated and some random level 4 gets placed on my squad. So now I have to leave squad and recreate it. Even when I have it set to private people still get placed in it. annoying. Let me kick fools.

Top Bottom