• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

-Silver-

I've asked this before, but I'm going to once again:

People who are good pilots, what are your control prefs? Specifically... button and stick layout..

Not gonna say I'm a good pilot but I can fly and be a bit helpful but if you're planning to play AS then i recommend using Extinguisher, heat seekers and either maintenance or air radar.

As for the control set-up I have my Jet stick set on Legacy.

You mean the Jav or the tank or both? Because trollface.

I don't know how damage between the various guided missiles compare, but I got one hit kills on bikes using guided missiles from both scout choppers and jets, and I believe I was one hit killed myself on a bike by a Javelin. Obviously it's a very small sample size and there was a lot of shit going on (i.e. ordnance flying in all directions) so maybe some of the bikes had taken some other damage before the missile impacts, but they all looked like one hit kills to me.

Also in the four rounds I played CTF seemed to end up just being about people piling as much C4, Claymores, and AT mines on their own flag as possible. Wasn't anywhere near as dynamic as I'd hoped :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Also in the four rounds I played CTF seemed to end up just being about people piling as much C4, Claymores, and AT mines on their own flag as possible. Wasn't anywhere near as dynamic as I'd hoped :(

Throw a grenade->run in after grenade explodes->Grab Motorbike->????->FLAG CAPTURED.

Throw a grenade->run in after grenade explodes->Grab Motorbike->????->FLAG CAPTURED.

You can only pick up the flag on foot, so it was more a case of:

1. Ride motorbike down the flank and hope the snipers/tanks/Javelin guys/AA jeeps/choppers don't see you.
  2. Get off motorbike, throw grenade to clear explosives at entrance.
  3. Get back on bike, ride a little further.
  4. Get off bike, throw grenade to clear explosives on flag.
  5. Get on bike, ride up to flag.
  6. Get off bike, pick up flag.
  7. Get on bike, do 180 (very easy on the bikes when using the brake) without hitting remaining explosives.
  8. Ride back the way you came.
With a good pillion with frag rounds you could avoid the hopping on/off, but I didn't have that last night.

Also when the enemy drops your flag (after you kill them while they're carrying it) you can't pick it up. It becomes a fixed flag like in CQ Dom that you need to capture in place (at which point it is magically returned back to your base).

BTW, someone mentioned that the rider didn't lean in 3rd person view in one of the earlier vids, but they do in the game. Not massively (and fairly stiffly), but they do lean when cornering. Also holding L3 will hold you in a wheelie.

TheSeks

Why wouldn't you just X to switch to back-seat to throw a grenade, ride up, O off/pick-up flag, O on/get on motorbike with flag and drive off? That's too many on/offs to do that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Some stuff is starting to appear via search... no endgame yet though.

edit: nvm

edit: uh... i don;t see it anywhere and it's not coming up on search... wtf

edit#: nvm found it...

TheSeks

lol gotta download the patch for the store, download the patch for BF3, download Endgame.

PS3! THIS IS LIVING!(TM)

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
of course this shit goes up while I'm downloading those free Vita games...

f30HGzS.gif

Maddocks

downloaded the patch last night, installing end game now. But I wont be playing till later tonight with the clan mates.

TheSeks

and this is why i got the patch this morning.

and the store update was like last week or something...

Store update wasn't last week unless it was after I got P2:EP (which won't work on the PSP2, BTW. Waste of $10 for me), because I got that through the store as soon as that was up.

Store update wasn't last week unless it was after I got P2:EP (which won't work on the PSP2, BTW. Waste of $10 for me), because I got that through the store as soon as that was up.

it was definitely last week because i went to the store on the 28th and that's when i got the store update prompt.

WOW! CTF is so unbelievably good!!

Haven't had this much fun in CTF since Halo CE!! It's nowhere near Halo CE's greatness, but it's up there! So unfortunate that it's just the four maps though, would have loved to see this supported from the start. CTF is a mode I've never seen done well in many games, and Halo CE was the only one I felt had the perfect recipe of perfect maps, gameplay, vehicles, and strategy.

Lovely teamwork for the most part, had two jerks in a motorcycle drive off when I needed their help protecting myself, but that's it. Other then that, people were working well for randoms.

Only two annoying things:

i) "YOU HAVE THE FLAG!" on your screen is very annoying and it doesnt go away for some reason
ii) Would have liked the flag indicators in the 3D world to be much better indicated like in COD (hopefully there's an option to remove this altogether, as it is fun to look for the enemy)

Already had an amazing play:

Caught the Flag, brought it to the base, drove around the awesome motorcycle to avoid the enemy (one in a chopper that got taken down, another in a humvee).

Then I went up to my base spawn, decided to bail out for a tank-- big mistake as two enemies were on my tail on foot. They whittled down my tank, I got out, headshotted one of them, then struggled with the other one until I desperately finished him with my pistol (we were both finicking the reloads).

Of course, then our flag gets returned, I have no vehicle as two teammates decide to not pick me up, and I die -_-

Honestly, the most fun I've had in BF3 so far with the DLC

Why wouldn't you just X to switch to back-seat to throw a grenade, ride up, O off/pick-up flag, O on/get on motorbike with flag and drive off? That's too many on/offs to do that.
It's tricky aiming the grenade from the pillion position, especially if the motorcycle is still moving slightly. I have enough trouble gauging grenade throws at the best of times :)

WOW! CTF is so unbelievably good!!

Haven't had this much fun in CTF since Halo CE!!

Sounds awesome, I haven't even played a game of capture the flag since the original Halo 1! (which was the only version of Halo I ever really played) But if this has a similar vibe I think I'm gonna like this.

RiverBed

Banned
wow, the bikes are fast.
feels good, man.

and yas, you CAN drop from an airship while inside a mini-tank and start making it rain from the sky!
i. e., auto battlefield moment for everyone. :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Capture the flag is pretty fun but I'm stunned how stupid people are. Not to be rude, but it's pure stupidity on display tonight. From high level players.

I understand it might take a few mins to get your bearings in a new mode with new HUD elements... but christ have some common sense.

Anyway... it was pretty fun even though I lost every game and on the last match I was kicked again by the admin. They were team stackers, and despite handling us easily I was owning them pretty hard. Couldn't take us having a scrap of dignity, and he booted me.

Also, the dirtbikes are even more shitty than I imagined them. The gameplay around their speed is pretty fun/different... but they feel like total crap to drive. The physics would be embarrassing if one didn't consider the scope of the game. There are PS2 dirtbike games that are better. Actually, I can't think of a dirtbike game that is worse. They're still a little fun though.

CTF is going to be really frustrating for people on dumb teams, because the game cannot be carried by one or two guys... takes at least two squads and that's rare to have with pubs. And pubs are dumb as shit.

Played on a private server today for the first time in months. Overdoziz, Mahoney, and I came back from a huge deficit, smashed the other team, and I got banned by admin three minutes before the match ended.

Fuck private servers.

TheSeks

Whee~ Tanking KDR for the sake of jet unlocks. SMH, DICE. :/

Kak.efes

Little Birds are insane on CTF. One guided missile takes out bikes, rendering their speed and agility for capturing flags completely useless.

TheSeks

Dunno who Alpha-male is but: fuck you, you still lost.

TheSeks

Now I just need to carry a flag carrier in a helicopter. OH BOY THAT ONE IS SOOOO FUN! *sarcasm* Who the hell is going to land an air vehicle for the sake of picking up a flag carrier?

olimpia84

Capture the Flag requires MASSIVE coordination between teammates. If they don't add some kind of 'vote to kick useless players in your team' feature this game mode will be nearly impossible to play unless you invite all of your friends.

Top Bottom