• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Maddocks

The only thing I want to complain about in end game is how it rewards the camper jav guys who sit in the mtns by the flags and wait for someone to drive by to get kills while not trying to get the flag. Reminds me of episode 1 pod racing where the sand people just sit back and take pot shots hoping to get lucky.

I know its a small grip, but its still one I have only because it seems to be happening more and more and the group used to be 2 people doing it to a good number of the team doing it. I wouldnt mind if the lock on wasnt half the map.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Once you see a Javelin heading you're way, bail from the bike. Half the time Javelin's are going to be facing you in CTF or Rush. Conquest is the only one where surprise Javelin's coming from behind is the problem.

Maddocks

Once you see a Javelin heading you're way, bail from the bike. Half the time Javelin's are going to be facing you in CTF or Rush. Conquest is the only one where surprise Javelin's coming from behind is the problem.

I have been hit way more times by the jav behind then I have from the front. Only reason why I complain. Only time I actually seen a rocket come at me from the front was from a heli. Some of the camper guys wait for you to drive by so you wont bail from the bike.

its easily avoidable I know, by not going the same route, but last night was the worst for me so I needed to vent lol

S-tac unlocked. :D

And what do you know, go back to Rush and my KDR raises from 1.48 it dropped to playing CTF and End Game maps. :lol

Not to bail on End Game, but I was getting tired of grinding out wins against that team you three. (Plus I gotta check on dinner) What's hilarious is they'd grind out a loss by swarming the last set until we dug in at A (and I got that FUCK YOU DISARM as grenades were lobbing against me) only for the next round to be over in 10 mins from us. :lol

Also a bonus when squad defend/attack orders are followed while I'm a reviving freight train and disarming. I was 7000 points while the next closest was like... 3000? 2000?

nice, i got mine too! and got a good amount of wins in Gun Master.

The bikes open up some interesting gameplay... their speed, primarily. That part is kind of fun.

But the bikes themselves are really fucking shitty. I said months ago they would be shit, and they are even worse than I imagined. This is the worst dirtbike physics/handling that I have ever seen in a big AAA game. I don't think you could find worse going all the way back to early PS2 games. lol.

But this should surprise no one. DICE wasn't going to redo the game's physics just to add some DLC bikes. You could tell by the way all the fast-moving land vehicles handle that dirtbikes were going to be totally shit.

That blog dev diary about how they created maps for bike gameplay is laughable in hindsight. The only time I ever get on them is as a means to an end -- I'm trying to get somewhere fast -- otherwise I won't touch them. They aren't fun at all. Just really janky shit.

Imo.

Sorry to be a downer, but I'm speaking truth.

they handled pretty much as i expected them to handle. but yeah, i can see why some people would want more than a faster, smaller quad that can wheelie.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Literally 5 feet away from the base with the flag in my hand........annnnnd it's gone. Javelin kills me and the guy driving the bike. The two people in our base can't be bothered with picking it up and walking a couple of more feet.

Smdh.

TheSeks

Literally 5 feet away from the base with the flag in my hand........annnnnd it's gone. Javelin kills me and the guy driving the bike. The two people in our base can't be bothered with picking it up and walking a couple of more feet.

Smdh.

You think that's annoying? Have one of them have the flag and continue to sit on it as we return OUR flag because they want to turn the round into 15 minute team deathmatch.

Reason I went back to Rush and haven't looked back. At least if dickholes want to sandbag I can punch them out.

TheSeks

Man the S-tac is a hilarious troll weapon. I had a moment on Sharqi Attack last set where B was somewhere, I went around the back, go up the stairs by quickly blinding and silencering the support/LMG-bipod-proner on the landing. support/LMG runs past me on the second landing, I thought he'd see me for sure, but he didn't. Go in, S-tac the recon(?) that was there. Get taken out but get revived by B IIRC. Arm B. Get under the tables. Bipod my LMG. No Aim-Down-Sight bipod kill first dumbass to come through. Bipod the second dude, get taken out. Revive. Crate explodes as tank-shells and smoke start to fill the area.

After trying to get up there like five times. I think the other sidearms (read: non-silencers and non-tactical lights combined) would've alerted them easily.

The bikes open up some interesting gameplay... their speed, primarily. That part is kind of fun.

But the bikes themselves are really fucking shitty. I said months ago they would be shit, and they are even worse than I imagined. This is the worst dirtbike physics/handling that I have ever seen in a big AAA game. I don't think you could find worse going all the way back to early PS2 games. lol.

But this should surprise no one. DICE wasn't going to redo the game's physics just to add some DLC bikes. You could tell by the way all the fast-moving land vehicles handle that dirtbikes were going to be totally shit.

I was kinda sour on the bikes when I first tried them as well, but I'm starting to come around to them after using them enough. At first I didn't even know how to wheelie (c'mon DICE, yeah i know camera movement and all, but every game in the world defaults a wheelie to pulling back on the stick), but once I figured that out, anticipating a jump and doing one right before gets you some nice air! Really fun to drive across Nebandan Flats as long as you don't get nailed by a jav or guided missile.

Kak.efes

Had some pretty wild CTF games this afternoon. For one in particular, we came back from a 2-0 deficit, and won against a team stacked with colonel 100's. Our flag caps were so fast, and in such quick succession one right after the other. I don't think the opposing team knew they lost. Plenty of hard fought 1-0 games as well. CTF is a great mode.

Has anyone figured out who wins and who loses when it's a drawn score in CTF?

My previous theory of whoever got to the eventual tied score first being the winner isn't the case, because my team led the entire match last night only to lose after the other team equalised with about 30 seconds left.

raindoc

Had some pretty wild CTF games this afternoon. For one in particular, we came back from a 2-0 deficit, and won against a team stacked with colonel 100's. Our flag caps were so fast, and in such quick succession one right after the other. I don't think the opposing team knew they lost. Plenty of hard fought 1-0 games as well. CTF is a great mode.

it definitely makes the best use of big maps with "low" player numbers (compared to PC).
CQ often enough feels half-empty and Rush only uses small parts of the map, one at a time, but CTF takes place on a big playground and still delivers fast action.

Has anyone figured out who wins and who loses when it's a drawn score in CTF?

the most obvious thing would be overall (team) score.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
did you check it? did you also add the points of players that quit early?
i'd be really surprised if it was anything else but score (or kill count).

Gonna check my battlelog

EDIT: I found a tie game in which gaf won

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/4/84457774/217723068/

They were up by 2 and we tied them by the end of the game

Team GAF - Total points: 28,146 (29,689 if you include the people that quit)
Total Kills: 112 (117)

Other team -
Total points: 26,841 (33,331)
Total Kills: 100 (129)

Mahonay

Banned
I did it. I broke 10,000 kills with the 870 MCS shotgun.

This is me now when I join a game of BF3, see my team is down, and arm myself with the 870.
i91UG17BSdL0r.gif

Man that Get to the Chopper assignment, the kills are easy peasy but the MBT destroying :(
It's much easier than you think, just make sure you take Guided Rockets. The beauty of those is that, provided you aim near the tank, the rockets will actually home in towards the tank. You can disable the tank in the first pass even if your aim isn't perfect, and then blow it up on the second. In terms of aiming, just try to put the centre of the I-bar reticle over the tank and the guided rockets will take care of the rest :)

TheSeks

Man if choppers landed and people didn't get in them and let them just burn to death, I'd probably have jet kills on choppers for that jet assignment, easy. If no one on your team gets in a disabled vehicle and you destroy it, it counts as an enemy destroyed apparently.

Kak.efes

Choppers > tanks in any situation where both are aware of each others position, and both are actively trying to destroy one another. Is this even up for debate?

Kak.efes

Harder? yes
chopper still kill-able? yes >=)

Well you're considerably better in the tank than most, but I'll maintain, in a situation where both a chopper, and a tank are trying to destroy one another, it should end in a fairly lopsided victory to the dude piloting the chopper. I'm not saying tanks can't shoot choppers out of the sky, it's happened to me plenty of times (believe me), but that's largely due to a lack of spotting, and situational awareness, the same can be said for kamikaze pilots, of engineers with RPG's.

TheSeks

Faceless you want to play a few rounds of DOA5 in like 30 mins? I'm about to go take a shower but I'm willing to play against you for an hour or two.

Hmmm never tried guided missiles, but what to about the jets and other choppers than? Just dodge them?
Wait Guided Missiles are only for the gunner seat? :/
Not guided missiles, Guided Rocket. It has this icon:
fO77cy4.png

It's for the pilot of Attack Choppers only (not for Scout choppers), and unlocked at 51,000 points. It just upgrades your basic unguided rockets (your primary weapon as pilot) with a slight homing ability, you don't need to switch to them or anything.

I just checked Battlelog and see that you haven't unlocked them yet. In that case it just makes it trickier: use the regular unguided rockets still, you'll just need to make more passes.

As faceless said, take out the enemy chopper as the absolute first priority; once that's done you can go tank hunting. Try and dodge the jets when they make passes, unless the pilot is pretty good they're usually more of an annoyance than a threat.

TCRS

Banned
wtf you can do that? that's some BS man. the same with rush on karkand masp. the other guys can simply walk into your spawn.

Mahonay

Banned
wtf you can do that? that's some BS man. the same with rush on karkand masp. the other guys can simply walk into your spawn.
You can steal the opposing team's vehicles on pretty much every map. Even if just by the skin of your teeth. I guess some of those larger maps you might not be able to just walk over and grab ground vehicles, unless you fly over there first.

TheSeks

I don't think that works on PS3 since any time I get in a vehicle it takes like a second for the acceleration command to go "yep, you wanna gas" and start in the LAV for me.

But I'll have to try that next time someone camps at B instead of me.
This'll never happen because I have to worry about the crates because no one else will worry about the crates. :(

I don't think that works on PS3 since any time I get in a vehicle it takes like a second for the acceleration command to go "yep, you wanna gas" and start in the LAV for me.

But I'll have to try that next time someone camps at B instead of me.
This'll never happen because I have to worry about the crates because no one else will worry about the crates. :(

of course it works on PS3.

you can also steal the LAV from the RU base in Oman CQ. Tank too, but for the Tank you have to bail right next to it from a chopper or jet, can't accelerate fast enough if you waste time running or driving a buggy in.

you can also jack the hummer in Talah Rush, but planting mines all over the entrance is way more awesome.

BoatAck

you can also steal the LAV from the RU base in Oman CQ. Tank too, but for the Tank you have to bail right next to it from a chopper or jet, can't accelerate fast enough if you waste time running or driving a buggy in.

You can steal the RU tank by driving the buggy in, there's little room for error though.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
ugh... what a frustrating night.

Air Superiority is basically a troll mode... you never have even teams. You get sever after server of teamstacked lop-sided games. 4 or 5 guys vs 12 on the other side. yay. so fun.

TheSeks

And those 12 won't let you level up jets. If you could get a private server, you'd be able to hammer the jet unlocks out in a day if people just went around capping flags at 200-600 points a pop.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
And those 12 won't let you level up jets. If you could get a private server, you'd be able to hammer the jet unlocks out in a day if people just went around capping flags at 200-600 points a pop.

Well... I was able to unlock the beam scanning in a couple games. But it was frustrating.

I'm getting better in the jets, but you don't really get a chance to test your skills in those games. They just have way too many players on their side: 2-3 vs every 1 of our jets. And you know those lvl 100 guys are talking to eatchother. So it makes it really frustrating. Engage anyone and their wingmen are immediately on your six.

I hope for BF4 DICE fixes their shitty physics for vehicles. Everything but the helicopters is total crap. They way jets hit invisible "walls" all over the place (and the shitty-shitty chase camera that constantly freaks out) lack of defined ceiling (on on this level it's 900, but on this level it's 500 wtf) and how you fucking jet gets "stuck"... I think it's supposed to be a stall? But uh... lol it's janky as fuck. Oh wow my jet is glued in some weird position, and it doesn't even fall back toward the ground... guess gravity stopped existing. Really love the auto landing gear too... that's wonderful. Because, you know... we fucking land all the time in this game. Smh.

Give me a break... Ace Combat was a fucking PS2 game and it got this shit right over a decade ago. DICE sucks at jets so hard. Pretty much all their vehicles are shitty though... I mean these dirt bikes are honestly embarrassingly shitty. Whatever... hope they make some progress with the next game and don't pull a CoD and barely change anything.

Top Bottom