• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's pretty satisfying watching your guided missiles zero in on guys riding their bikes, oblivious to the fact that their death is imminent.

I got 4 (!) jet kills today from that. Thanks to KDR tanking in Air Superiority I have the guided missiles. Which makes you pretty much god to the ground if you avoid lock-ons. Problem is other jets and I suck in Air to Air combat. But I've adjusted to the wonky-aiming of the guided missiles and so long as I get a lock, you're done if you're on a bike.

Oh fucks sake, DICE is trolling me for this weapon. I have to now destroy vehicles (easy) and then get a bike roadkill (which seems luck based for me since I'm hauling ass in general to not get shot on those things and it seems you have to SLOWLY hit someone with them to register it. Ugh.) then do 20 headshots with a pistol for it. Why do you have us, DICE?

I got 4 (!) jet kills today from that. Thanks to KDR tanking in Air Superiority I have the guided missiles. Which makes you pretty much god to the ground if you avoid lock-ons. Problem is other jets and I suck in Air to Air combat. But I've adjusted to the wonky-aiming of the guided missiles and so long as I get a lock, you're done if you're on a bike.

Oh fucks sake, DICE is trolling me for this weapon. I have to now destroy vehicles (easy) and then get a bike roadkill (which seems luck based for me since I'm hauling ass in general to not get shot on those things and it seems you have to SLOWLY hit someone with them to register it. Ugh.) then do 20 headshots with a pistol for it. Why do you have us, DICE?

20 headshots isn't so bad if you play Gun Master or Scavenger

So, a tie game in CTF just ends in a draw, right?

Wish they made it more interesting than that, would have liked a tie-breaker of some sort.

I've had some fun CTF games (I absolutely love the snow map, as it feels very catered to soldier warfare over vehicles, and it just feels perfect for a CTF mode), but I would like to play with a proper squad of Gaffers. Message me if I can tag along with you guys. I want something more cohesive out of my CTF experience.

I hope CTF is supported from the start for BF4.

Rush and CTF seem very well suited towards the 24 player limit, I can not play Conquest on some maps due to that number.

Hopefully they can continue to balance both large-scale Armored Shield level maps and more tight knit, yet fun CTF/Rush styled maps. I do think DICE have done an incredible job even with Close Quarters. They definitely need more Armored-Shield sized maps as they simply skimped out on that for most of the maps, and it is after all what BF should be known for.

But man, do I love a good game of CTF. Nothing quite like it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
God it sucks so hard not having my mic atm... need to get that sorted pretty soon. I feel really handicapped not being able to communicate, especially in the vehicles or during CTF defense.

These new maps are like they pulled them right out of BC2. They are amazingly awesome. And the best thing, with few exceptions, no fucking jets!

God it sucks so hard not having my mic atm... need to get that sorted pretty soon. I feel really handicapped not being able to communicate, especially in the vehicles or during CTF defense.

These new maps are like they pulled them right out of BC2. They are amazingly awesome. And the best thing, with few exceptions, no fucking jets!

i like how DICE made the Jets spawn in mid-air in End Game. no more jet stealing lol

Omni

It really frustrates me when people from the US side on Operation Metro cap C and B and then try to capture A. Very rarely will a group of randoms have the coordination to lock the Russians at spawn from A, and so what happens is they'll slip past and capture C while everyone is still at A. Bravo is the easiest to defend... There's no point moving up further.

/just lost a game because that happened and we couldn't get Charlie back...

tn2007

It really frustrates me when people from the US side on Operation Metro cap C and B and then try to capture A. Very rarely will a group of randoms have the coordination to lock the Russians at spawn from A, and so what happens is they'll slip past and capture C while everyone is still at A. Bravo is the easiest to defend... There's no point moving up further.

/just lost a game because that happened and we couldn't get Charlie back...

Got to get that cap out son! Seriously though most pub games are gonna be like this. So it's best to play with some friends and watch the choke points from A to B with them.

TheSeks

2-3/4 of maps have jets. "No fucking jets!"

Evolved logic(TM)!

TheSeks

If my recall isn't fuzzy, all the maps have jets on CTF. 2 or 3 of the maps in Conquest (most likely 2).

As for Rush, I haven't been able to play that outside of maybe 5 minutes on that map to say. Attackers don't in Fall Bridge-y map, but I think they do in Pipeline?

If my recall isn't fuzzy, all the maps have jets on CTF. 2 or 3 of the maps in Conquest (most likely 2).

As for Rush, I haven't been able to play that outside of maybe 5 minutes on that map to say. Attackers don't in Fall Bridge-y map, but I think they do in Pipeline?

the one thing i'm sure of is no maps on CTF having Jets.

*goes to check*

Evolved1

2 of the maps have jets in CQ.

But there are 4 maps * 3 modes = 12 - those 2 CQ maps with jets = 10 out of 12 possible game combinations do not have jets.

Or... 83.33% of the possible combinations of maps/modes DO NOT HAVE JETS.

Only TheSeks Logic™ could twist this to mean anything other than what I said.

TheSeks

There's still jets on the maps. Doesn't mean "NO JETZZZZZZZZzzzzzz"

Evolved1

There's still jets on the maps. Doesn't mean "NO JETZZZZZZZZzzzzzz"

You are correct... for 2 out of 12 possible combinations. That's a wicked batting average, bro.

16.7% on the money!

CQ
Kiasar: Attack + Scout
Riverside: Attack + Scout
Nebandan: Attack + Jets
Sabalan: Attack + Jets

Rush
Kiasar: Attack
Riverside: Scout
Nebandan: Attack
Sabalan: Attack

CTF
Kiasar: Attack
Riverside: Scout
Nebandan: Scout
Sabalan: Scout

this may be different in CQ64 because on the Kiasar map, you can clearly see two bases further away, including one with two clearly designed helipads, and it looks like it may be a 7 Flag CQ64 map.

Nebandan also has a layout that could go 7 flags, the huge water tower and little shack areas in the desert are perfect for CQ flags, but that already has jets in CQ.

i haven't really noticed any obvious areas for additional flags on Sabalan or Riverside.

oh yeah, i also noticed that the air vehicle boundaries in CTF are the same size as ground boundaries, which makes sense, wouldn't want people flying off to an inaccessible area with the flag!
[scenario: take the lead, steal enemy chopper, hide behind mountain with enemy flag]

ajpg-e20b9b.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/08/ea-invite-hints-at-battlefield-4-reveal

get excited

olimpia84

Playing defense on CTF is so fun. Like flies to flypaper.

It is despite being a SPM killer. I'm sort of forced to play defense since 90% of the team usually takes off to take the flag. C4 works remarkably well (as in the enemy falls for it over and over again).

get excited

Blue colors, check
Orange, check
Needs lens flare and dudebro soldier to fully confirm it will be set on modern warfare again.

It is despite being a SPM killer. I'm sort of forced to play defense since 90% of the team usually takes off to take the flag. C4 works remarkably well (as in the enemy falls for it over and over again).
yeah, there are high scores involved, but because you spend the whole game alive it makes the SPM dip overall :(

it sure can be entertaining though!

Blue colors, check
Orange, check
Needs lens flare and dudebro soldier to fully confirm it will be set on modern warfare again.
they've got Bokeh DoF instead of Lens Flare! that's Next-Gen now!

TheSeks

Finally. S-tac assignment unlocked. Leaves 19 more headshots with pistols.

It's definitely not last team to score wins when it's a CTF draw. Last night the other team equalized with about 2 seconds left but my team was awarded the win and they got the loss.

It's definitely not last team to score wins when it's a CTF draw. Last night the other team equalized with about 2 seconds left but my team was awarded the win and they got the loss.

So, it's a bug, or what?

Anyways, are these maps going to be any different on PC? I am uber close to upgrading my PC and will likely get Battlefield to enjoy Armoured Kill.

Also, how would you guys rate the maps?

I think my favourite is:

Conquest: Operation Riverside, though the Railroad and Sabalan Pipelines sound promising (haven't played much of CQ for these two)

CTF: Operation Riverside and the Sabalan Pipelines. Haven't played much of Kiasar to comment.

I didn't enjoy the Flatlands much for CTF (though that's all I played of it)

The maps do indeed remind me of BC2 maps, but that's probably because DICE dared to do something more varied with the seasons.

Can you imagine next-gen Battlefield games running with environmental weathering? Severe blizzards? Rainstorms? Oh my.

TheSeks

Me and you need to play DOA5 sometime tomorrow. I'm bushed and I really am not in the mindset/mood to play BF3 or DOA5 since I'd just be ass at it at the moment.

Got banned again tonight. Owner + admin were tank drivers and I guess I mined them once too often. Told them to "cry more" and one of them called me a "nig." Reported!

How's End game? Only 3-4 days for me, yesterday Origin started a 6GB download, I got all excited and shit thinking it may be End Game, but was just a patch lol.

Evolved1

How's End game? Only 3-4 days for me, yesterday Origin started a 6GB download, I got all excited and shit thinking it may be End Game, but was just a patch lol.

It's great on PS3... you'll have to tell us how it feels on PC.

The maps are reminiscent of the mid-sized BC2 maps... less destruction, but similarly open-air and approachable. Especially in RUSH, where the similarity is strongest imo.

CTF is a mixed bag. I think it's a fun mode, but I have to completely ignore my stats/progression to really enjoy it. It's basically SPM and W/L suicide. So in a way I actually really like it, cause it basically comes down to having fun and doing the best you can do toward the team effort, win or lose. To win CTF, it requires real teamwork. Probably more than any other mode. So you're gonna bank a bunch of losses playing in random servers. And sometimes, doing what your team needs to have the best chance to win, you're not gonna score too many points, and even if you do score a bunch (playing goalkeeper with C4) you will be alive so long, and there will be so many lulls, that your SPM will likely tank.

olimpia84

It's pretty fun. I prefer Karkand and Aftermath since the maps are more console-friendly but End Game has a good enough design that reminds of BC2.

Capture the Flag is really fun as long as you end up in a team that works as a...team. Keep in mind however that your SPM will take a huge hit since there aren't many scoring options.

TheSeks

S-tac unlocked. :D

And what do you know, go back to Rush and my KDR raises from 1.48 it dropped to playing CTF and End Game maps. :lol

Not to bail on End Game, but I was getting tired of grinding out wins against that team you three. (Plus I gotta check on dinner) What's hilarious is they'd grind out a loss by swarming the last set until we dug in at A (and I got that FUCK YOU DISARM as grenades were lobbing against me) only for the next round to be over in 10 mins from us. :lol

Also a bonus when squad defend/attack orders are followed while I'm a reviving freight train and disarming. I was 7000 points while the next closest was like... 3000? 2000?

It's great on PS3... you'll have to tell us how it feels on PC.

The maps are reminiscent of the mid-sized BC2 maps... less destruction, but similarly open-air and approachable. Especially in RUSH, where the similarity is strongest imo.

CTF is a mixed bag. I think it's a fun mode, but I have to completely ignore my stats/progression to really enjoy it. It's basically SPM and W/L suicide. So in a way I actually really like it, cause it basically comes down to having fun and doing the best you can do toward the team effort, win or lose. To win CTF, it requires real teamwork. Probably more than any other mode. So you're gonna bank a bunch of losses playing in random servers. And sometimes, doing what your team needs to have the best chance to win, you're not gonna score too many points, and even if you do score a bunch (playing goalkeeper with C4) you will be alive so long, and there will be so many lulls, that your SPM will likely tank.

It's pretty fun. I prefer Karkand and Aftermath since the maps are more console-friendly but End Game has a good enough design that reminds of BC2.

Capture the Flag is really fun as long as you end up in a team that works as a...team. Keep in mind however that your SPM will take a huge hit since there aren't many scoring options.

Sounds CTF is fun! I'm mainly interested how those bikes are. Is it fun c4-ing your dirt bike and blow up tanks? Are they easier to take out than jihad jeeps? :)

Evolved1

Sounds CTF is fun! I'm mainly interested how those bikes are. Is it fun c4-ing your dirt bike and blow up tanks? Are they easier to take out than jihad jeeps? :)

The bikes open up some interesting gameplay... their speed, primarily. That part is kind of fun.

But the bikes themselves are really fucking shitty. I said months ago they would be shit, and they are even worse than I imagined. This is the worst dirtbike physics/handling that I have ever seen in a big AAA game. I don't think you could find worse going all the way back to early PS2 games. lol.

But this should surprise no one. DICE wasn't going to redo the game's physics just to add some DLC bikes. You could tell by the way all the fast-moving land vehicles handle that dirtbikes were going to be totally shit.

That blog dev diary about how they created maps for bike gameplay is laughable in hindsight. The only time I ever get on them is as a means to an end -- I'm trying to get somewhere fast -- otherwise I won't touch them. They aren't fun at all. Just really janky shit.

Imo.

Sorry to be a downer, but I'm speaking truth.

Top Bottom