• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

shuri

Banned
I have a rented server that gets no gametime at all, I just dont have time to maintain it. It's prepaid until June.

Would there be anyone here interested in having admin access so its get used? Dont pm me if its just to fuck around, it would be nice to have a nice busy server for gaf.

Just PM me.

Established members get priority.

edit: XBOX 360!

I have a rented server that gets no gametime at all, I just dont have time to maintain it. It's prepaid until June.

Would there be anyone here interested in having admin access so its get used? Dont pm me if its just to fuck around, it would be nice to have a nice busy server for gaf.

Just PM me.

on what platform?

Epicenter. CQ. A Flag.

other team had no flags left after losing D so a bunch of them ran there from their spawn. i waited and watched as the flag went neutral. and then waited until the flag was almost capped. then BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE and the score just kept rolling. and then when i thought it would stop, it didn't. funniest part is when i ran upstairs to plant more C4 another guy was already reviving them and i gunned like 4 down with my LMG before getting killed... also had a 4 person multi-kill the game before. thank you based 24/7 Epicenter server!
My server is playing End Game maps exclusively at the moment, but once that's done I might have to go looking for some Epicenter matches. The A-flag in particular does tend to concentrate people in that one area so it's probably the way to go.

I don't get the Rambo dog tag. Am I supposed to get the multi kills in one game?
A multi-kill is when you kill four people at once (or within incredibly quick succession). Each time you get a multi-kill that dog tag will track you as having achieved another multi-kill. You can take as many games as you like to get the 5 multi-kills required.

Just PM me.

FWIW, there are a few things that you need to have a populated server (in my experience):
  • People who are willing to actually help kickstart it, and play a few rounds with very low player counts before it takes off. You can set the minimum player count to be 4 for your server rotation, but that still requires you to find a minimum of 4 people, and in my experience you usually need 6-8 because randoms tend not to join until the player count is at least that. Every night the server will eventually empty out, which means you need to kickstart the server again usually once every 24 hours.
  • A good map rotation. It can appeal to any particular group of players you like, but it needs to appeal to someone.
  • Autobalance turned on, and a commitment to keep the server games balanced. If one team dominates the other then players will just leave. This means you need some people willing to switch to a team that's getting dominated to try and help them get back in the match. People who are obsessed with their win/loss ratios are no good to you here. Teamswitching players forcefully just pisses them off.
  • Tight admin policies. You need to be ready to kick people who are glitching and/or abusing other players, but not get kickhappy or teamswitch players. If players can see that server admins are fair but active they are more likely to visit your server again in future. If there are going to be any rules then you need to be very explicit about what they are and enforce them consistently. If you don't think you can get much admin coverage of the server then it's probably better to have no rules other than the unspoken 'no glitching and no being a complete fuckhead to other players'.
Of these, they're all important but the first one takes the biggest commitment and is probably the most crucial.

• Run Metro

• Max tickets
If you adjust your filters you'll see there are plenty of Max Ticket Metro servers that are empty ;) Actually, late at night it tends to be only TDM servers that are popular (mostly Noshahr Canals).

But all cynicism aside, as I said you can have different map rotations and still fill your server. Mine is currently:
  1. Kiasar Railroad CTF
  2. Nebandan Flats RUSH
  3. Sabalan Pipeline CONQUEST
  4. Operation Riverside CTF
  5. Kiasar Railroad RUSH
  6. Nebandan Flats CONQUEST
  7. Sabalan Pipeline CTF
  8. Operation Riverside RUSH
  9. Kiasar Railroad CONQUEST
  10. Nebandan Flats CTF
  11. Sabalan Pipeline RUSH
  12. Operation Riverside CONQUEST
  13. Kiasar Railroad AIR SUPERIORITY
And it stays full at prime time, which is an unusual thing in my region where there are roughly two pages of full servers and about 16 pages of empty ones.

The other question is will you actually want to play on your own server? If you set a map rotation that pleases other people but not you, then what's the point of having your own server?

My server is playing End Game maps exclusively at the moment, but once that's done I might have to go looking for some Epicenter matches. The A-flag in particular does tend to concentrate people in that one area so it's probably the way to go.

yeah, i've tried all sorts of different strategies for multi kills, and most of my success in planned multi kills has been on Epicenter CQ. several at A and D and one at C. i tried all of the Close Quarters flag locations and got soooooooooooooo many triple kills but was failing hard on multis.

Scavenger will fill a game up pretty quick.

indeed, Scavenger is the new 'Wake Island' when it comes to filling seats quickly.

WoodWERD

Rephrasing my last question. If you could only play Armored Kill or Aftermath until End Game comes out (for us non-premium newbs), which would you go with?

JJD

Rephrasing my last question. If you could only play Armored Kill or Aftermath until End Game comes out (for us non-premium newbs), which would you go with?

Aftermath, no doubt.

Armored Kill is the worst map pack on consoles off all the released DLC IMO.

burnfout

i actually like Armored Kill better ( on 360 ).

All the aftermath maps look (and play imo) the same. I still don't know the name of the map I'm playing when I'm on aftermath.

I love 3 of the 4 maps in Armored Kill. But thats also because I looooooove vehicle action :)

For console players i would say aftermath, armored kill is cool but CQ maps are huge when there are only 24 players

burnfout

God I fucking love End Game.

Just now playing Kaisar Railroad Rush as Attackers.

At one of the last sets of MCOMS the whole team was running up that big hill. After reaching the top the enemy was dug in good, it took a lot Medics to push through, a couple of engineers to bring down their Attack Heli, and a lot of Ammo being thrown around. Our squad of randoms was communicating the whole time.

Felt like a goddamn movie, I was smiling for 20 minutes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
when you say that you mean "no more 2 week delay" and not "no more discounted DLC bundle" right?

The former and less "premium" exclusives that are shit like the dogtags no one has used since B2K. >_>

Really, they could just bundle the entire thing once they release it or make a pre-order bundle. Calling it "exclusive" and not going all out along with the maps has made me feel it was a waste of $50 besides the savings in one map pack (that I already got for free due to the limited edition)

I'm kinda pissed that the $50 was nothing more than 2-3 reskins for 4 guns and maybe 1-2 extra skins for 2-5 others after people bitched about the 2-3 reskins.

Mahonay

Banned
The former and less "premium" exclusives that are shit like the dogtags no one has used since B2K. >_>

Really, they could just bundle the entire thing once they release it or make a pre-order bundle. Calling it "exclusive" and not going all out along with the maps has made me feel it was a waste of $50 besides the savings in one map pack (that I already got for free due to the limited edition)

I'm kinda pissed that the $50 was nothing more than 2-3 reskins for 4 guns and maybe 1-2 extra skins for 2-5 others after people bitched about the 2-3 reskins.
It was still a savings in the end as opposed to buying all of the DLC individually.

I always just thought of Premium as a season pass. Nothing more. The "perks" are pretty worthless, as you stated.

tn2007

Yeah, I looked it up when I was done. All the members of that clan have crazy good stats. I don't even know how you can keep that spm up on consoles.

The same way you do it on PC. TDM and CQs. If your really good on PC you can get 1800+ SPM on PC from TDM and even higher if you play CQs. Combat efficient ribbons rack you up a ton of points.

BoatAck

The same way you do it on PC. TDM and CQs. If your really good on PC you can get 1800+ SPM on PC from TDM and even higher if you play CQs. Combat efficient ribbons rack you up a ton of points.

I figure on PC it's easier with the higher player count/more flags to cap. Here's the profile.

tn2007

I figure on PC it's easier with the higher player count/more flags to cap. Here's the profile.

I know who he is, I use to be friends with him when he was with TAO. He now plays for iCon and they are considered the best PS3 clan in the world. I still have one of there members as a friend I believe.

Player count helps a lot if your good and 64 man TDM will get you 1800+ SPM if your elite. I play 32 man TDM when I play TDM since I can move around more instead of camping a spot. I only have a 1300+ SPM :( because of it.

BoatAck

I know who he is, I use to be friends with him when he was with TAO. He now plays for iCon and they are considered the best PS3 clan in the world. I still have one of there members as a friend I believe.

That did seem to be the consensus when I was reading up on it. Someone said a lot of them play with a kb/m on PS3, that true? His score on the Metro round we played was like 10K above the next closest and I think it was only a 100% server. It certainly was something to see!

Player count helps a lot if your good and 64 man TDM will get you 1800+ SPM if your elite. I play 32 man TDM when I play TDM since I can move around more instead of camping a spot. I only have a 1300+ SPM :( because of it.

Only!? Oh boo hoo :p

tn2007

That did seem to be the consensus when I was reading up on it. Someone said a lot of them play with a kb/m on PS3, that true? His score on the Metro round we played was like 10K above the next closest and I think it was only a 100% server. It certainly was something to see!

I never asked any of them. Does kb/m work well on ps3? I heard it does on Xbox.

Only!? Oh boo hoo :p

Lol yeah only. I can maintain a 1200 SPM with 3:1 conquest/TDM rounds. You guys should play a bit more TDM. It really helps on 1v1 infantry skills. And it really helps out close range combat skills.

BoatAck

I read it takes a bit of fine-tuning to get it to work as well as it would on PC. I imagine if you could, it would be a pretty nice advantage.

Lol yeah only. I can maintain a 1200 SPM with 3:1 conquest/TDM rounds. You guys should play a bit more TDM. It really helps on 1v1 infantry skills. And it really helps out close range combat skills.

But it's sooo boring... I should probably do that more when I'm looking to play and no one else is on. Sometimes going into a Conquest or Rush game by yourself is a recipe for aggravation.

As you suggested, I am using reactive more now though, it's not bad. I still get caught with C4 occasionally though as I'm used to seeing enemy movement around me on the mini map with prox.

tn2007

But it's sooo boring... I should probably do that more when I'm looking to play and no one else is on. Sometimes going into a Conquest or Rush game by yourself is a recipe for aggravation.

If you play TDM play as engineer so you can get better with your engineer infantry skills. I know Xtreme and KJ from iCon will do this because they play a lot of vehicle maps on conquest and it helps to be good at engineer infantry when your not in a vehicle.

As you suggested, I am using reactive more now though, it's not bad. I still get caught with C4 occasionally though as I'm used to seeing enemy movement around me on the mini map with prox.

Just stay in third person view until you find something to shoot at than switch to first person. Having a good gunner will help out with stopping c4 guys. Plus make sure you always have room to maneuver. Try not to capture flags that give you no movement and make sure to follow your infantry. Good infantry will keep you from getting c4 and allow you to be more aggressive.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

So they cheat, then? So much for "best." Using Xpadder or anything of the sort over the rest of the player-base is pretty much cheating.

tn2007

So they cheat, then? So much for "best." Using Xpadder or anything of the sort over the rest of the player-base is pretty much cheating.

I have no idea if any of them use kb/m. I said I never asked. You should take your time reading my quotes. I was just asking boatack if kb/m on PS3 worked as well as it does on PC. But yes I do agree it is cheating if you use kb/m on consoles.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

I have no idea if any of them use kb/m. I said I never asked. You should take your time reading my quotes. I was just asking boatack if kb/m on PS3 worked as well as it does on PC. But yes I do agree it is cheating if you use kb/m on consoles.

cop-out-ofnj0v.gif

Sajjaja

So EA is having a sale and Battlefield 3 Premium Edition is $30 for PS3. Should I get it? Is it still worth playing and is it fun? Sorry for the barrage of questions but I've been teetering on getting this for a while but I'm not sure. Do a lot of people use voice chat? My biggest problem with BF is that in order to have a fun experience, people gotta be talking and coordinate a bit, if not a little. I have BF2 but virtually no one talks to each other and it just becomes a runn here run there and eventually die to pros.

So EA is having a sale and Battlefield 3 Premium Edition is $30 for PS3. Should I get it? Is it still worth playing and is it fun? Sorry for the barrage of questions but I've been teetering on getting this for a while but I'm not sure. Do a lot of people use voice chat? My biggest problem with BF is that in order to have a fun experience, people gotta be talking and coordinate a bit, if not a little. I have BF2 but virtually no one talks to each other and it just becomes a runn here run there and eventually die to pros.

yes.

Top Bottom