• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well if we're just asking for any old thing... give me: more infantry animations/abilities, especially for traversal, and start implementing headtracking fer christ's sake!

:)

Evolved1

So what is everyone's opinion on the spawn beacon. Should it make a return in BF4?

I hated the entire concept at first... I will admit it turned out to be premature hating.

But for me it's now an accepted part of Battlefield proper. Gives recons another reason to get into the forward lines. It's team oriented.

I like it.

If you see people popping up around the objectives and it seems like too quickly... you know there's a beacon and it's almost like a secondary objective for defenders to locate and destroy it. It also makes a beeping sound, so if you're looking, you can find it.

As the game is right now, I think it's balanced pretty well. But I've never played with 64 players, and I don't know how dice is gonna do squads/team in BF4...

But as it is in BF3 I like it. I think it was one of those things where they proved me wrong.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Make stingers and javelins only work with soflams.

Except... that isn't how Stingers or Javelin's work in real life?

I could make a huge ass post of all I want DICE to do for BF4 but no1currs so the short version is:

- Remove KDR, pointless
- Remove SPM, again: Pointless since people can boost this easy depending on mode
- Add a tutorial and a huge "YOUR TEAMMATE WANTS AMMO/HEALTH, YOU FUCKING DUMBASS" flashing text in the middle of the screen for squad-kits." There's no fucking reason this late in the games life that people STILL do not know how to toss kit items out to help their team win.
- Out of bounds antics and if the attackers can do it: The defense can as well. Such bullshit that the attackers get a side-lane on that "beach" near A's left side on the defense in Norshal that the defense can't go to to where they can plant an Amtrack behind cover and just spawn on it.
- Spawn Beacon does not air-drop to prevent people from getting on roof/platforms DICE didn't intend them to get on.
-To also add to that: Jets/Helicopters/Air vehicles in general do not allow you to get on those since DICE could (and should) implement an "out of bounds" timer on the roofs they don't intend for you to get on to prevent people from staying up there with snipers while the ground forces can't hit them unless they lucky grenade.
- Leave destruction as is in Rush with exceptions to map balance. But of course since DICE "plays like gentlemen" and doesn't abuse the shit out of EVERYTHING to test balance, I don't think this'll happen and it'll be another "too much/too little" situation in regards to destruction balance giving both sides an even chance instead of lopsideing toward one or the other depending on the map and who's the side that's abusing it to hell.
- Leave Objective Harm out. Teams actually having to attack the crates in Rush have made for the better.

In before nofunallowed.jpg

Nice.

Then again I'd also accept a parachute that actually worked.

Are you bitching about fall damage? Because if you hold back on the stick (S or whatever for "walk backwards" on PC) you prevent fall-damage. W (or whatever forward on PC/up on the left-stick on consoles) speeds up the decent rate. Which is a little weird.

Mahonay

Banned
I agree with you about fixing the spawn beacons, so it's not so easy to just parachute in on a roof that's otherwise inaccessible. Really annoying dealing with roof campers currently.

Also, just add more ladders that go up to the rooftops of main buildings centered around objectives. It's insane to me that there's no ladder to the roof of the warehouse at the A flag objective on Firestorm. So many times I just give up on recapping, because I know some douche is just laying prone on the roof that I can't get to on foot.

Removing stuff like KDR and SPM? It will never happen. Dumb asses like myself like watching numbers go up far too much.

Evolved1

Are you bitching about fall damage? Because if you hold back on the stick (S or whatever for "walk backwards" on PC) you prevent fall-damage. W (or whatever forward on PC/up on the left-stick on consoles) speeds up the decent rate. Which is a little weird.

I am not bitching. And yeah, holding back does work....... when the parachute actually deploys.

Do you remember when we could jump off second story buildings in bad company and actually land without fall damage? Yeah, those were good times.

Mahonay

Banned
I am not bitching. And yeah, holding back does work....... when the parachute actually deploys.

Do you remember when we could jump off second story buildings in bad company and actually land without fall damage? Yeah, those were good times.
When you think about it, that was pretty goofy. I do remember how funny it looked seeing someone parachuting down just two floors. It was a different game though, and it fit for Bad Company.

I think the parachute not deploying as quickly is a purposeful game play adjustment. I imagine it will be similar in BF4.

TheSeks

Fall damage has always been wonky. Even Halo does it badly.

The parachute will deploy after like 5 feet or so. The problem here is server lag/telling the game "okay, I want to deploy that" more than anything I think.

Mahoney said:
Removing stuff like KDR and SPM? It will never happen. Dumb asses like myself like watching numbers go up far too much.

I dunno, a little game called Team Fortress 2, seems to do fine without it.

80aafE9.png

Mahonay

Banned
I dunno, a little game called Team Fortress 2
I really don't think you can compare BF3 with TF2.

Also, part of their push for the "Premium" package is being able to log into battlelog and have a more in depth look at your stats. It's part of what DICE is doing now. It's not going to go back the other direction.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
When you think about it, that was pretty goofy. I do remember how funny it looked seeing someone parachuting down just two floors. It was a different game though, and it fit for Bad Company.

I think the parachute not deploying as quickly is a purposeful game play adjustment. I imagine it will be similar in BF4.

FUCK THAT SHIT!

I can drop 300 meters, parachute at 290... AND STILL FUCKING DIE!

TheSeks

I really don't think you can compare BF3 with TF2.

Both are class-based games.
Both have stats.
One makes those stats useless, however, for the sake of gameplay.

Also, part of their push for the "Premium" package is being able to log into battlelog and have a more in depth look at your stats. It's part of what DICE is doing now. It's not going to go back the other direction.

no1curr'd about Floplelog after a bit. For the sake of gameplay and sanity, DICE should remove stats so people have less a reason to "stat whore" and thus play the objective.

There's a reason TF2 removed them and why that community generally plays the gamemode instead of playing the game stats.

Evolved1

lol, i love when I just drop off like a four foot embankment and lose 70% of my health.

so random.

and using the parachute on anything less than 3 stories might as well be a dice roll.

Fonz72

So if the rumors are true BF4 will have a map called Xizhimen, which is actually a real subway station on Beijing, China!

Metro 2.0!!! Take that haters! Lol!

Some maps rumored to return from BF2:

Dalian Plant
Daqing Oilfields
Great Wall of China
Wake Island (again Dice?)

Can't wait for the reveal!

As long as they don't change them to the point they are barely recognizable ie., Karkand..........

Maddocks

lol, i love when I just drop off like a four foot embankment and lose 70% of my health.

so random.

and using the parachute on anything less than 3 stories might as well be a dice roll.

its the worst. 4 foot, broken foot. 30hp.

parachute opens, you hear it open, see the lines......bad luck......Damn you dice.

vixlar

But if you like numbers, ask for numbers that care.

In TDM it is ok to show the KDR, because that's the point of the game. But in rush show me how many coms each player armed, destroyed, disarmed or defended. In Conquest show me hoy many flags I captured or defended. Something like that. I remember BC2 only showed the points you did, and that was awesome.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Each map pack offers a different experience. It just depends on what you like. All of them are pretty good. It is all a matter of opinion.

If you are going to buy one more map pack might as well buy them all. Premium Membership (all map macks) is currently $30 for PS3 on EAs website.

I don't want to $30 to spend on DLC and that deal isn't on UK/EU Origin but thanks.
I don't use vehicles much, don't fly etc. Still a newb after all this time and I don't play with friends/mic.
Am I better waiting for END whatever? Which one is more meaty as far maps between Close Quarters and that other DLC?

JJD

I don't want to $30 to spend on DLC and that deal isn't on UK/EU Origin but thanks.
I don't use vehicles much, don't fly etc. Still a newb after all this time and I don't play with friends/mic.
Am I better waiting for END whatever? Which one is more meaty as far maps between Close Quarters and that other DLC?

If you're not big on vehicles, forget Armored Kill. Personally it's my least favorite DLC.

I can't comment on End Game since I still haven't played it, but it seems good. Vehicles are one of the main points of this DLC (bikes!). People said that the maps have a Bad Company 2 feel to then, specially on rush.

If you like Back to Karkand, I'd say Aftermath maps are pretty much the same style. They have vehicles but the flow and probably outcome of the match is decided mainly by infantry. They are great IMO.

Close Quarters is also very fun, but the play experience is a little different from your regular BF. Maps are very good on both design and setting, but they are much smaller and the games are really quick. Some people hate it and compare it to COD, I like then.

You're probably going to find enough servers running all the DLC packs, but it should be easier to find servers on End Game and Aftermath rotations (besides vanilla BF3 and B2K).

Alternative game modes are mostly good:

Close Quarters has Gun Game (gets boring quickly IMO).
Armored Kill has Tank Superiority (I like it, but since you're not into vehicles you might skip it).
Aftermath has Scavenger (great mode, I like it a lot!).
End Game has Capture the Flag (supposedly is very good, if you play with friends since it relies heavily on team play) and Jet Superiority.

If you're planning on buying a single DLC you're spending 15 bucks, if you want two or more Premium is probably the best way to go. You can probably find a BF3 Premium disk for cheap if you search, specially since BF4 is getting announced next week.

Cronnie

if you play with friends since it relies heavily on team play)

Yeah, I have had some really horrid times on this mode playing in random public servers, I am pretty sure a 'team-mate' let me get killed earlier so he could have the flag.

WoodWERD

Just a heads up, we bought aftermath (360) the other night and I had a tough time finding conquest servers when I filtered for just those maps. It's probably best to go premium like someone said earlier.

I did get to play at least 2-3 maps and liked them quite a bit. Epicenter is pretty awesome.

JJD

When are you gonna join us again?

Man I miss playing with you guys Boa... :-(

But I'm trying to clear my huge backlog until next gen comes...

Yeah, I have had some really horrid times on this mode playing in random public servers, I am pretty sure a 'team-mate' let me get killed earlier so he could have the flag.

Doesn't matter if you're on ps3 or 360, we have a great BF3 community. Add some people man!

Playing BF with GAF has been one o the my best gaming experiences!

Sajjaja

Doesn't matter if you're on ps3 or 360, we have a great BF3 community. Add some people man!

I hope so, as I just got a shipping notice from EA (tracking number doesn't work though..) for my Battlefield 3 Premium Edition. Excited to play with you guys.

I remember 1 time when I was playing Battlefield 2, there were actually people using their mics and coordinating attacks, it was an amazing experience. It never happened again D:

TheSeks

Evolved: Spec Ops: The Line, yeah... it's pretty mediocre. I'm in chapter 11 (of 15?) so far and it's not really wow-ing me like it does most people. We'll see but hey: at least it's an easy platinum. Like two minimum playthroughs required and like 5-12 hours max for each playthrough depending on how good you are.

Cronnie

I'm actually over in Singapore right now for a year or so.

I tried joining up a few matches with some of my buddies back in the UK and the ping is just horrible for me. I only have a decent experience on Asian/Australian servers.

Any GAF members playing from those parts?

I think everyone was on that Metro round. For about 5-10 seconds everyone just ran in place. I was running in mud and warping around. Everyone on coms was saying the same thing too.

Yeah, that was by far the strangest lag I've ever experienced online…getting stuck in one place felt more like a bug, but running around getting to a flag and wondering why it wasn't going down, only to then be instantly warped back to a position you were at well over 20 seconds ago was nuts!

Evolved1

Evolved: Spec Ops: The Line, yeah... it's pretty mediocre. I'm in chapter 11 (of 15?) so far and it's not really wow-ing me like it does most people. We'll see but hey: at least it's an easy platinum. Like two minimum playthroughs required and like 5-12 hours max for each playthrough depending on how good you are.

I can only play it for like 10 mins before turning it back off. It's very mediocre as a cover-based shooter, missing some very basic mechanics, the animation is pretty shitty... it just feels like a bargain bin game.

But it's worst offense by far is the friendly AI. They are fucking garbage. The game should get some kind of award for how shitty and dumb they are. Anytime I'm in a big firefight and getting into the game at all, these assholes run way ahead, into the stupidest places, and start bleeding out. I'm not even on the highest difficulty, and saving their retarded asses is usually just by the skin of my teeth. Pretty much ruins any fun the game might have had.

I'm curious about this ending everyone is talking about (though I have a suspicion they just ripped off Kojima) but I don;t think I'll ever get through that game even once.

JJD

It seems male and female soldiers are confirmed to BF4.

I'm so gonna troll noobs as an asian girl! Hahaha!

phase4.png

I can only play it for like 10 mins before turning it back off. It's very mediocre as a cover-based shooter, missing some very basic mechanics, the animation is pretty shitty... it just feels like a bargain bin game.

But it's worst offense by far is the friendly AI. They are fucking garbage. The game should get some kind of award for how shitty and dumb they are. Anytime I'm in a big firefight and getting into the game at all, these assholes run way ahead, into the stupidest places, and start bleeding out. I'm not even on the highest difficulty, and saving their retarded asses is usually just by the skin of my teeth. Pretty much ruins any fun the game might have had.

I'm curious about this ending everyone is talking about (though I have a suspicion they just ripped off Kojima) but I don;t think I'll ever get through that game even once.

Couldn't play the game for more than 20 minutes either. Gameplay wise it's at most an average game.

I wanted to know what the story was all about considering all the praise it gets on GAF so I watched the most important plot points on youtube. Just do the same.

I gotta say, as far as videogames goes I think it is a few levels above the garbage you see on 99% of military shooters. At least they try to convey a meaningful message. But frankly it's nothing you haven't seen a thousand times better on some books or even movies and TV series.

I sincerely can't understand how some people "felt bad" after playing it.

Why can't you return the flag to your base at times?
Your own flag has to be there first.

Both teams start off with their own flags in their own bases. If you steal the enemy flag and get killed on the way back then the flag is dropped: if one of your teammates touches it they automatically pick it up; if an enemy gets close to it they start capping it like a Conquest Domination flag (if they finish capping it then it gets zapped straight back to their base.

So if you carry the enemy flag back to your base but can't score, it means that your own flag has been taken and is either being carried by an enemy, or is sitting on the ground somewhere needing to be capped back.

and of course i get not one but two multi kills in one game of Epicenter CQ this time around... Rambo tag, yea boiii!!! got DAT GUN MASTER MEDAL too

and a whole bunch of CTF wins!

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Your own flag has to be there first.

Both teams start off with their own flags in their own bases. If you steal the enemy flag and get killed on the way back then the flag is dropped: if one of your teammates touches it they automatically pick it up; if an enemy gets close to it they start capping it like a Conquest Domination flag (if they finish capping it then it gets zapped straight back to their base.

So if you carry the enemy flag back to your base but can't score, it means that your own flag has been taken and is either being carried by an enemy, or is sitting on the ground somewhere needing to be capped back.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

Top Bottom