• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why do that? You could just overlay that text on a BF3 promo anyway.

Just need to find a crouching soldier in a similar facing position. Maybe ask someone on PC to do that.

TheSeks

I can do it, just lazy.

You really need to come back. I'm tired of being the only one besides B that wants to play Rush. :/ I miss you defending and me being able to run around all Aragorn in the base. :(

I'd just like to say...

YAxTo5K.png

...a big thank you to faceless for the Epicenter A-flag tip. It got me my final multi, and my final assignment. Cheers!

I'd just like to say...

YAxTo5K.png

...a big thank you to faceless for the Epicenter A-flag tip. It got me my final multi, and my final assignment. Cheers!

*hi-5's*

yeah, that was my final assignment on PS3 too. got 50 kills with the engineer gun tonight, still have 3 guns to do on 360, but 50, 100 and 100 kills with those ain't a thing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just had a monster of a game on Metro Conquest. Went 67 and 17. Our team was in the process of getting pushed back from Bravo and back into the A flag area. I managed to clear out the entire enemy team with a 23 kill streak. At one point in the process, between the laughing, yelling "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE, I DRINK IT UP!"

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/2/80615506/189104574/

Okay Mahonay, it's time for you to put in some work in this thread of ours... your assignment: tell us all about the Remington 870 / 870MCS. How do you kit it. What's your strategy with it. Pro/cons. Etc. Reveal your secrets.

lol

Oh man. This game is awesome! Is there a PS3 tag or w.e for GAF? I'd love to play with you guys.

I hope the Battlelog Platoon stuff gets upgraded to a more meaningful position with BF4.

We have this:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655240984194053/

but its pretty useless on the consoles because you can't join platoon buddies' games or even properly track who plays the game actively :/

hack edit:
i added most of the regulars to a Leader position and kicked some people with around 10 months of idle time or more.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655240984194053/listmembers/

TheSeks

Okay Mahonay, it's time for you to put in some work in this thread of ours... your assignment: tell us all about the Remington 870 / 870MCS. How do you kit it. What's your strategy with it. Pro/cons. Etc. Reveal your secrets.

lol

What? Just use it default. It's probably the best shotgun in the game. If you're talking the first one you unlock. And I say that as a fan of the SPAS-12 (which sucks this game actually, too slot-machine).

hack edit:
i added most of the regulars to a Leader position and kicked some people with around 10 months of idle time or more.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655240984194053/listmembers/

Waypoetic is sporadic at best. He stopped playing, came back. Then stopped playing again.

Mahonay

Banned

lol

The 870 is great. If you play extremely aggressively you can get tons of kills with it.

Use it with no scope, extended mags, and slug rounds.

The 870 is definitely just a nasty shotgun on it's own. It does most of the work. I play very aggressive with it, but only where it makes sense. If I see an opening where no one is paying attention, I sneak in and try to get to the enemy flank as fast as humanely possible, then just open up. With the slugs equipped, you can also win mid range gun fights, it's got some serious range. I've counter sniped snipers with it before.

And this sounds dumb, but I've gotten used to just kind of "quick scoping" with it, even at close ranges. I basically click in to aim down my sites and almost at the same time shoot the shotgun. It can guarantee you a kill in a lot of situations. I have 10,485 kills with the 870 MCS at 38% accuracy. The proof is in the numbers.

Here's an example, a video I made last year running around the Close Quarters maps with the gun. I should make a new one. I've since gotten better at doing this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAOKe3mi5pI

For the 870 I go red dot, extended mags, slugs.

Evolved1

Use it with no scope, extended mags, and slug rounds. Learn how to move quickly in and out of cover.
http://youtu.be/1WR8C-vucOg

No offense but I'd rather watch paint dry than someone play on PC...

The 870 is definitely just a nasty shotgun on it's own. It does most of the work. I play very aggressive with it, but only where it makes sense. If I see an opening where no one is paying attention, I sneak in and try to get to the enemy flank as fast as humanely possible, then just open up. With the slugs equipped, you can also win mid range gun fights, it's got some serious range. I've counter sniped snipers with it before.

And this sounds dumb, but I've gotten used to just kind of "quick scoping" with it, even at close ranges. I basically click in to aim down my sites and almost at the same time shoot the shotgun. It can guarantee you a kill in a lot of situations. I have 10,485 kills with the 870 MCS at 38% accuracy. The proof is in the numbers.

Here's an example, a video I made last year running around the Close Quarters maps with the gun. I should make a new one. I've since gotten better at doing this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAOKe3mi5pI

For the 870 I go red dot, extended mags, slugs.

Cool man, thanks for posting.

The 870 was a favorite of mine in BC2 but I've been pretty shitty with it in BF3 for some reason...

Mahonay

Banned
Cool man, thanks for posting.

The 870 was a favorite of mine in BC2 but I've been pretty shitty with it in BF3 for some reason...
Funny enough, I never used shotguns in BC2. I have a couple friends that were still playing BC2 constantly until very recently and I'd play a few games once in a while. I tried equipping the 870 in BC2 and did absolutely AWFUL with it.

TheSeks

Gun Master is so momentum and opportunity based... i still can't come up with a solid strategy except for dirty suiciding to not give up points.

I wouldn't say momentum but opportunity: Yeah. It really depends on you getting the jump on enemies more than anything especially with the bolt action rifles unless you want to blind-luck guess with the hip-fire.

tn and Mahonay inspired me to run with the 870 tonight. It's a pretty fantastic gun. Once I get my infra-red scope unlocked I might use it across all classes.

After a couple weeks of laying low, I got kicked 3 times from one server for killing the owner or admins. Ha!

Anyone got any sniping tips? I am terrible and haven't the slightest idea.

Spot, call out enemy numbers and positions. Play the objective. That's your job.

For equipment, low-power optic on all the rifles, straight-pull bolt if you're using a bolt gun. Set beacons forward. Spam scan bolts where you think there might be enemies, HE bolts at armor. SOFLAM on maps with a lot of enemy armor.

Sajjaja

Spot, call out enemy numbers and positions. Play the objective. That's your job.

For equipment, low-power optic on all the rifles, straight-pull bolt if you're using a bolt gun. Set beacons forward. Spam scan bolts where you think there might be enemies, HE bolts at armor. SOFLAM on maps with a lot of enemy armor.

What are low power optics? And what exactly does the SOFLAM do?

Sniping in this game is nearly impossible. Replace your sniper rifle with a PDW and go assault recon. It's more fun and useful for the team anyways.

Yep, do that alot with the 870.

TheSeks

and the SOFLAM laser designates vehicles to assist laser guided weapons locking and firing at them.

Too bad no one uses it but me (in a tank!) when I can lock down most of Karkand first set on GAF-lead servers. *mumble grumble*

Speaking of which:

Spring Cleaning time: Don't like me? Don't want me on your squad because "ZOMG MICS ONRY?" Don't like Rush? Remove me from your friends list and your life will be complete.

Sniping in this game is nearly impossible.

It doesn't help that:

-Bullet drop can't be calculated since the "tracer round" is hit and miss this outing (WTF DICE? BC2's was perfect!)
-Caw of Dooty sniper-sway for "authentic sniper action!(TM!)" <---This is fucking stupid and again: BC2 had it perfect. Set up shot, take it. No need to fuck about with a breath mechanic.
-Most of the maps aren't built for 7x-12x scope action so that makes most of the bolt-actions useless unless you're good at quick-scoping and even then you're leaving yourself pretty wide open as you chamber another round.

SKS/SVD and semi-autos in general are the only snipers to use this outing if you get good at hip-firing them and then using them at medium range. I was a bit turned off by the SKS due to the default (4x?) scope, but slap a red-dot on it (since the iron sights are hard to gauge distance/targets) and it becomes godlike.

Evolved1

Idk... the few times I use sniper rifles lately my numbers are pretty gaudy. And I'm not the sort to sit in a bush away from the action either. And I'm not a top tier player.

The one weakside (for me, G.I. Average Joe) is the CQB... I will actually run around with my pistol out most of the time. And I usually throw a frag anywhere I think might be trouble before I run in.

Nevertheless, sniping I don't think is too much different than BC2. The breath mechanic is a thing you can just automatically engage every time you ADS (second nature, don't even think about it) and the ballistics are pretty much as they were.

I even run the high power optics. Yeah, they give away you're ADS... but so what. Be fast. Move around.

Anyway, my tips for sniping:

• If using high power options, never ADS unless you're going to fire at something.
  • Line your shot up as best as possible before you ADS.
  • When you ADS, be very fast. Get in to take your shot, and out quickly.
  • Move around. After every kill. I move after three shots, even if I don't get the kill.
  • If you do set up shop somewhere, try to think what it looks like through the killcam, and if the enemy will have enough environmental information to locate you. There are some generic looking spots you can set up shop that are hard to recognize, even for long-time players.
  • Other snipers are free kills if you don't reveal your position to them with your scope glint (caused by ADS).
  • Straight pull bolt. Running with a bipod is doing it wrong, imo.
  • It's a judgement call, but on vehicle maps, consider kitting with the Xbow. It gives you a bit more flexibility in vehicle situations.
  • Don't be selfish with your spawn beacon. That's a powerful squad tool, not a "get back to my favorite sniping spot" toy.

Good luck.

Bullet drop isn't hard to calculate. Sometimes the tracers disappear at 1000m+ ranges, but you have no business engaging targets at that range in this game. Anything under 500m (which is 99% of this game) is where the ACOG shines. Its reticle has hashmarks for ranged shots and an illuminated inverted "v" crosshair. So you just put the bright red hat on the enemy's head and squeeze.

The only real problem with sniping in this game is suppression. At 100 yards, you can have a perfect sight picture on a stationary target and miss because some yahoo is spraying at you and missing from the other side of the map. Hot bullshit of the worst order.

TheSeks

Bullet drop isn't hard to calculate. Sometimes the tracers disappear at 1000m+ ranges,

Bullshit, they disappear at 0m range. I can fire, unscope to chamber another round and can't even see my round going where I fired to see if I hit or miss. Even if I stay in the scope to see it: It disappears. WTF, BC2 had it perfect! The tracer was alive for the ENTIRE round fired until it hit somewhere and I could see it off-scope to gauge how close/far I was from my shot.

DICE screwed up long-distance sniping either intentionally or accidentally. Like Olimpia said: You're better off using a PDW when you unlock them on that class or being good with the semi-autos in hip-fire/CQC and scope/mid-range engagements.

[*]Straight pull bolt. Running with a bipod is doing it wrong, imo.

I'd rather have a bipod remove the stupid breath mechanic instead of a free chambered round, personally.

Evolved1

Bullshit, they disappear at 0m range. I can fire, unscope to chamber another round and can't even see my round going where I fired to see if I hit or miss. Even if I stay in the scope to see it: It disappears. WTF, BC2 had it perfect! The tracer was alive for the ENTIRE round fired until it hit somewhere and I could see it off-scope to gauge how close/far I was from my shot.

DICE screwed up long-distance sniping either intentionally or accidentally. Like Olimpia said: You're better off using a PDW when you unlock them on that class or being good with the semi-autos in hip-fire/CQC and scope/mid-range engagements.

I'd rather have a bipod remove the stupid breath mechanic instead of a free chambered round, personally.

You seem to really want BC2 sniping... which imo with the tracer and lack of sway was noob mode.

BC2 sniping was too easy and that's why so many losers hid in the hills doing it.

Personally, I like that DICE went out of their way to punish snipers in BF3. Especially the overdone flashlight-like scope glint.

TheSeks

No, I want "old-school sniper" mode. It isn't "newbie" to want to set my shots up without various factors getting in the way of that shot.

The glint would prevent campers if it was a 4x and up system. A-COG, Red-dot wouldn't get the glint because they're close-up. 4x is mid-range so someone can sort-of camp. The extreme distance ones are glinted already.

If the system was BF3's glint + BC2's sniping it would be perfect. Someone camping too long? Snipe them in the head. Move around to prevent scope-glint, find them again, snipe them.

As it is I loathe seeing a moving target, try to set-up my shot with breath off only to have breath kick back on right before I fire thereby screwing my entire shot AND have the tracer not track to where I can see how wild the shot went.

It's bullshit. I just want my GOL Sniper Magnum NO FUCKING SCOPE FUCKERY back. :|

You seem to really want BC2 sniping... which imo with the tracer and lack of sway was noob mode.

BC2 sniping was too easy and that's why so many losers hid in the hills doing it.

Personally, I like that DICE went out of their way to punish snipers in BF3. Especially the overdone flashlight-like scope glint.

making sniping worse just makes the game worse. now, instead of crappy randoms maybe contributing a few clutch shots, they contribute nothing and continue to keep playing that way anyway.

Evolved1

making sniping worse just makes the game worse. now, instead of crappy randoms maybe contributing a few clutch shots, they contribute nothing and continue to keep playing that way anyway.

Idk... respect your opinion and everything. But I think we're pretty far apart on this one.

As someone who has no trouble with current system (actually makes it easier to counter snip the bad players) and actually plays the objectives (less annoying deaths to the wussy hiding recons) I prefer the current system.

Also, taking the auto-mortars away from them... if I DICE person was here right now I'd kiss them on the face.

Idk... respect your opinion and everything. But I think we're pretty far apart on this one.

As someone who has no trouble with current system (actually makes it easier to counter snip the bad players) and actually plays the objectives (less annoying deaths to the wussy hiding recons) I prefer the current system.

Also, taking the auto-mortars away from them... if I DICE person was here right now I'd kiss them on the face.

yeah, it's great when they're on the other team...

TheSeks

That's all DICE had to do, and light them up like a Christmas tree.

I'm a methodical sniper. I do not fire unless I'm sure my target will get hit with my bullet or at least get their attention to move. As it is, I can see an AT rocket dude trying to hit our vehicles. Line up a shot, calculate the distance and try to fire with breath off only for:

DICE to do this with my scope thereby jumping my shot 10 feet to the left/right/up/down as I'm pulling the trigger.

Let me calculate the drop, let me know I'm hitting my target. Light me up for camping, okay. But do not add in other factors that screw my shot if you don't want me to not fire wildly.

TheSeks

No [DICE] B2K Rush servers. SMH. All the Rush servers are custom it seems today. No, I don't want to deal with weapon restrictions or jet maps (though the "no stealing" rule is nice too bad that's never enforced on YOUR team admins, eh?) or "kick"s to "make room for my friends lolz."

can the server owners modify the time it takes for an m-com to blow? i swear i was on a hardcore server that had a 15 sec mcom timer. whole map was over in 9 mins.

TheSeks

I don't think that's a server cvar. 30 seconds or so + 30 seconds for base to transition would be at least a 5 minute round depending on map, travel-time/player count, etc. 9 minutes is fast, but doesn't seem any different from some speed games to me.

TheSeks

Jesus Christ, WHY THE FUCK AM I THE ONLY ONE TAKING THE BACK ROUTE WHILE SQUAD HOPPING HOPING REINFORCEMENTS WOULD HELP ME ARM!

Oh and PS3 froze. Thanks DICE after me hard fighting for A second set, A first set (smoke arm) B first set (quick arm), and getting to the third set on Grand Bazaar Attack.

At least I don't have to deal with a team of morons now.

Where are thou, Faceless Master? :(

TheSeks

Tried that earlier, only got one person. Rambo will be forever unattainable along with the jet ones for me.

Maddocks

I have been getting so much hate mail lately, for doing absolutely nothing.

A clan joins the server(only 3 of them) me and a few buddies are in(5 of us in total rocking clan tags). They go and spawn camp the other team. Which I don't care about because me and my 4 buddies are watching the M-Coms. Not spawn camping while talking about game of thrones.

So after the match is over, I get spam mailed calling our clan cowards for spawn camping. I wasn't even spawn camping lol the other clan was and this person got so pissed he only spammed me because my clan mates never got hate mail. Then I freeze the next match, no big deal freezes happen. Then I get hate mail from the same guy saying,"YOU LEFT HAHA RAN YOU OUT THE SERVER!"

two matches later I go into another server, the admin is in the server and of course hes boosting his W/L because each time my defending team would drop the tickets down to 20, he would kick half our team so he can have the numbers advantage. 12 on 12 then all of a sudden its 6 on 12. So I left the server, because who wants to get jerked around. What happens? Hate mail calling me a bitch for leaving.

Top Bottom