• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Sajjaja

Such an awful design choice to have that "out of bounds/desertion" screen happen in the same fucking room as a Rush objective (in Davamand Peak after you jump off that cliff). What the fuck were they thinking?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Such an awful design choice to have that "out of bounds/desertion" screen happen in the same fucking room as a Rush objective (in Davamand Peak after you jump off that cliff). What the fuck were they thinking?

Hm? You're talking Singleplayer?

Hey, just like multiplayer!

Not really. Since human players have a greater chance to miss than these laser sight pin-point accuracy AI.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Multiplayer. In the building to the left as you jump off the cliff. If you go too far towards their spawn which is the same room as site A, there is an out of bounds screen.

It's kind of weird, but they had to do it that way or it'd be too unbalanced for defenders. Attackers would camp the entrances and defenders would be pretty screwed. They'd be shot as they spawned. Or forced to spawn ever further back and have to run too far to the crates.

It is weird though, to cut off half a building.

TheSeks

Oh, I got what you're talking about now. Yeah, it's that way so defenders aren't spawn camped. Really the tunnel should've been wider (and had the tunnel "merge" lanes or something but then it wouldn't be an industrial/military complex anymore but a city) and had the spawn/out of bounds be there with more doors and height areas to get out so the defense couldn't be spawn camped and at the same time the building wouldn't be cut in half but eh... it isn't that big a deal outside of trying to sneak in with the out of bounds timer screwing you over when you hit the ground running to get back in bounds of A.

It's kind of weird, but they had to do it that way or it'd be too unbalanced for defenders. Attackers would camp the entrances and defenders would be pretty screwed. They'd be shot as they spawned. Or forced to spawn ever further back and have to run too far to the crates.

It is weird though, to cut off half a building.

indeed. all about balance... and it's really only 1/4 of the length of building that's out of bounds. and even then, stuff like this can still happen!

TheSeks

Only because you're using a helicopter. If you tried to go that route on foot the out of bounds timer would kill you unless you helicopter landed to the ground and then hoofed it.

Evolved1

Only because you're using a helicopter. If you tried to go that route on foot the out of bounds timer would kill you unless you helicopter landed to the ground and then hoofed it.

Are you still playing SP? Let me know when you get to the shotgun death-hole...

I'm at a spot in the campaign... I think it's the last level. I jump down into some hole after a subway crash, and there's this long animation, and before you can even have control of your gun some guy shotguns you in the face.

Every. Fucking. Time.

I tried it about 20x and then said fuck it... DICE is a great dev sometimes, and sometimes they are pure garbage.

Did you ever get past this part? I had a hell of a time with it too playing it on hard, but there is a way to cheat this section, right before the hole you fall though, if you slowly inch forward you can actually fall down a little bit, but not all the way through the hole, and you should be able to take out two of the guards that way if they peek out from the top of the screen.

If I download the free PS+ digital version will I be able to use my save data/premium from the disc version with it? It'd be nice to be able to just play off the HD and mothball my disc.

TheSeks

yeah, but i had a helicopter. i found the loophole.

Not really a loophole. Also get on PS3 and help me knife newbies.

If I download the free PS+ digital version will I be able to use my save data/premium from the disc version with it? It'd be nice to be able to just play off the HD and mothball my disc.

Possible but I extremely doubt it. PSN gets a different internal code so the save-file is different unless they plan to read the save file anyway like LittleBigPlanet 2 does.

meppi

I certainly hope so as it would be very convenient not having to put in the disc whenever I want to play some BF3...

On a slightly different note. Got a bit pissed off tonight.
First I join a server and for whatever reason end up on the side of a team full of birdies, spawncamping a group of new players. (lvl.8, lvl.14, etc.) so I take pity on them and decide to switch team as soon as I can.
Certainly wasn't able to turn things around by myself, but I had a couple of good runs where I was able to down just about the whole team in a single tank run.

Ended up with this:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/4/97240106/204687605/

So much so that some little twat started calling me a fag afterwards. Nice. Wasn't expecting any less from these guys.

ibrfx8dBoA1Rwy.jpg

To which I replied to kindly piss off.

ibzs0fLdTmhboW.jpg

Replied that it meant he was a little crybaby, at which I got another PM which was left blank so he was probably throwing a fit and didn't notice his trash talking didn't register.

So I decided to stick around and get some payback.
Naturally he already ran off as it was probably way past his bedtime.

Started the game of quite nicely and I see Evolved come online at which point I think: great, I really hope he joins so we can do some real damage.
He does and that's exactly what happens. :)
Until his PS3 crashes.... :(
But at that point we had a nice enough lead so that we were able to get a comfy win.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/4/97247204/204687605/

PS, Evolved, you got some mad flying skills! :D
Next time I'll bring some spare underwear. ;)

Evolved1

People always bail on me when I do that high altitude freefall dive... I've practiced it from every height/speed. Never crash doing that. But my gunner always bails.

When I put it down for repair I figured you'd eventually run up and get back in, but was surprised to see how fast my repair was going. That's when I realized you didn't bail on me and rode it all the way down.

My man. lol.

Yeah, my PS3 froze during that match. Was that a euro server? Because I had some pretty wacky hit detection stuff going on. My internet is pretty awful atm. Hard to play on anything but US East. Need to get creative in those cases and stick to vehicles.

Overdoziz

Banned
Does anybody know what is safe to delete my HD on the 360 and to keep all the dlc?

i have about 25 gb just for BF3
Edit: Link is in the OP: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52174614&postcount=15221
to play online you need:

Battlefield 3 Title Update (201MB)

Multiplayer Update 6 (2.0GB)

and to play certain expansion maps you need:

Battlefield 3 Update (2.1GB) = Back To Karkand

Multiplayer Update 3 (2.4GB) = Close Quarters

Armored Kill (1.6GB) = Armored Kill

Aftermath (1.6GB) = Aftermath

End Game (1.8GB) = End Game

meppi

People always bail on me when I do that high altitude freefall dive... I've practiced it from every height/speed. Never crash doing that. But my gunner always bails.

When I put it down for repair I figured you'd eventually run up and get back in, but was surprised to see how fast my repair was going. That's when I realized you didn't bail on me and rode it all the way down.

My man. lol.

Yeah, my PS3 froze during that match. Was that a euro server? Because I had some pretty wacky hit detection stuff going on. My internet is pretty awful atm. Hard to play on anything but US East. Need to get creative in those cases and stick to vehicles.

Haha, no I stayed in till the very last moment like in BC2 as I knew you were about to set it down for repairs and jumped out as you were maybe a meter from the ground. Didn't think you'd jump out to repair as well. ;)
I read about people bailing on you in the chopper, so I trusted you to know what you were doing. Still wasn't prepared for that ride though. The whole time I was "oh crap, oh crap, oh crap!" with a big smile on my face.

Just so you know, if I'm in a tank with you or someone I trust as a driver/gunner, I'll never bail either.
When I jump out it's either to repair or shoot an RPG to help in the battle, or a combination of the two when needed.
If you're going up against 2 tanks or some extra engineers, I'll be repairing non-stop till the battle is over as well.
When the enemy tank is close enough and I either feel like doing something stupid or feel the need to create a diversion I might jump towards it to torch it down so he has 2 targets to worry about. Not to mention the possibility of stealing his one as well. ;)

I normally play on European servers for the same reasons you state. The lag combined with the funky server side hit detection can be pretty bad sometimes.
Oh, and I have been thinking of doing this for a while now: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655241727310013/
:D

almost correct. this is the latest:

to play online you need:

Battlefield 3 Title Update (201MB)

Multiplayer Update 6 (2.0GB)

and to play certain expansion maps you need:

Battlefield 3 Update (2.1GB) = Back To Karkand

Multiplayer Update 3 (2.4GB) = Close Quarters

Armored Kill (1.6GB) = Armored Kill

Aftermath (1.6GB) = Aftermath

End Game (1.8GB) = End Game

Eusis

New thanks to PS3 Plus (and the fact Quick match actually works there unlike PC)! Any tips for someone completely new to Battlefield but not MP shooters in general (see: Quake, TF, CoD)? That is, something to read up on or whatever?

Overdoziz

Banned
First tip: Don't use quick match.
Also:
  • Play the fucking objective.
  • There's always a guy following the guy you just killed.
  • You're getting fucked up? Use smoke to get out of spawntraps or through enemy lines.
  • Press the back/select button to spot people. If you're not busy shooting people you should be busy spotting them.
  • Private servers and quick search are bullshit. Go into the server list and look for servers with -[DICE]- in the name. These don't last as ridiculously long and have no powertripping admins either.
  • As a recon don't hang back and snipe people from a mile away. Get in there and place spawn beacons and motion sensors near objectives.
  • As support give people ammo. Whenever you see a teammate, give them ammo, whether they ask for it or not.
  • Same counts for the assault class and giving out health packs. Also, don't be a dick who revives people who are out in the open and will likely get shot again straight away.
  • As engineer shoot the fuck out of enemy vehicles and repair your own. Keep in mind that RPGs do more damage when you hit armor in the back or the side.
  • Spot enemies.
  • Don't played TDM.

TheSeks

New thanks to PS3 Plus (and the fact Quick match actually works there unlike PC)! Any tips for someone completely new to Battlefield but not MP shooters in general (see: Quake, TF, CoD)? That is, something to read up on or whatever?

Don't use quickmatch. Use the filter and find P# and DICE servers.

PRESS LEFT-RIGHT ON THE GODDAMN D-PAD. EVERY. MINUTE. YOU. CAN. PLZ.

Thank you,
The people that need some goddamn ammo/health.

Evolved1

Learn to pilot on empty servers.

Best way to unlock vehicle perks is to be someone's gunner.

Never bail on powerful vehicles. Go down with the ship, captain, always. If you take a tank, drive it to your favorite sniping spot only to jump out and leave it there for the enemy take... I will punch you in the fucking face through the internet. Same goes for jumping out of them anytime. Make sure it's clear. Giving away vehicles will mean giving away the match when you have two balanced teams.

That is rule #1, don't give away your armor.

TheSeks

God this 12 gig download off PSN is SO SLOW. It's been 4 hours and it hasn't moved much. So stupid of Sony. I just want to see if the save files work for the people that asked. Ugh.

Evolved1

God this 12 gig download off PSN is SO SLOW. It's been 4 hours and it hasn't moved much. So stupid of Sony. I just want to see if the save files work for the people that asked. Ugh.

I know... I'm at 15% and it's been a few hours.

I would ideally like to run the game off the HDD and avoid spinning a disc for hours on end.

TheSeks

This is why I have no faith their Pay-wall scamming of people to get them on the rental service will "improve the service." I'll believe it when I see it but offering 5+ gig titles with this speed is just... no. Even Steam isn't this bad.

I even had to delete Saints Row 3 and X-com to make room on the harddrive since it requires 24 gigs to install 12 gigs onto the system. Stupid swap file system of Sony's. :/

(Of course after I see if the save files are compatitable I'll be going back to finishing BF3's singleplayer while half participating in GT Academy '13 and finishing Saint's Row after I get the BF3 platinum for my 50th Platinum. *knock on wood*)

Evolved1

This is why I have no faith their Pay-wall scamming of people to get them on the rental service will "improve the service." I'll believe it when I see it but offering 5+ gig titles with this speed is just... no. Even Steam isn't this bad.

I even had to delete Saints Row 3 and X-com to make room on the harddrive since it requires 24 gigs to install 12 gigs onto the system. Stupid swap file system of Sony's. :/

(Of course after I see if the save files are compatitable I'll be going back to finishing BF3's singleplayer while half participating in GT Academy '13 and finishing Saint's Row after I get the BF3 platinum for my 50th Platinum. *knock on wood*)

It's too bad someone posted the cheese method for the shotgun-hole-of-instantaneous-death sequence. I wanted to see you rage like I did!

Eusis

Something that helped, and I'll try to remember to do in the future with PS+ titles, is to get the Full Game Trial when the game's announced for PS+ and run it out, then "buy" on PSN as it'll unlock the game for you immediately and you don't need to wait on the download. Worked for inFamous 2, worked here too (though I still needed to get that 2 GB patch, I gave up last night and HOPED PS+ would auto download, but nope. At least it went fast.)

EDIT: Also, thanks for the pointers! Should've said that in the original post but ah well, the bit about server searching should be especially good on PC.

Qwell

I don't know if I live in a good area or what, but I downloaded about 25 gigs worth of stuff from PSN tonight and all total plus installs only took maybe 4 hours.

Anyhoo, part of PSN BF3 now thanks to plus, not sure exactly how much I'll play though since I have put so many hours into PC already.

Qwell

ggrrrr, my 2nd match on PS3 version, we are winning TDM 278 to 271, I'm the top player of the match with over 50 kills and my PS3 hard locks ..... ggrrrr

TheSeks

PSN version works with the DLC you downloaded for the disk version.

There is a 2 gig patch to update it.

Wow, seriously? You have to patch it AGAIN if it reads the DLC stuff on disk?

Oh my god you have to. And what is this new transparent patch downloader!?

Got it as part of PSN+...gotta say im getting crushed out there. I also have the Premium package so maybe i should stick with non-premium maps? I'm coming from years of playing COD so it's taking me some time to adjust to the pace and scope of this game.

TheSeks

Got it as part of PSN+...gotta say im getting crushed out there. I also have the Premium package so maybe i should stick with non-premium maps? I'm coming from years of playing COD so it's taking me some time to adjust to the pace and scope of this game.

This is why you're getting crushed. Don't play it like Call of Duty. Take it slow. USE YOUR MEDIKIT/REVIVES/AMMOBOX FFS (and rockets/C4 on tanks) AND WIN.

(Oh and if you're a recon don't be a sniping dick and USE YOUR FUCKING MAV/T-UGS. GOD.)

TheSeks

Spots people through walls and floors within a small but sizeable area.

Put them near the crates (er-"M-COM"s) in Rush or Flags on Conquest and keep an eye on your mini-map. See any red triangles in that area? Enemies are there: SHOOT THEM/DEFEND YOUR OBJECTIVES.

The fact that most recons don't do this is shitty. Because t-beacon placement is the MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE ENTIRE GAME. If you're spotting people and knowing where they're coming from/knowing they're coming your team will have answers for it and not get shot to death.

Of course, because people have to get in close to set those up people don't want to do that which is fucking stupid because taking five minutes to set-up a beacon on a place and then set up camp with you're sniper is more smart than just sniping.

Smokey

Hopped in due to ps+, but I have 250 hrs clocked in the pc version. Just wanted to see how the console versions stacked up. Looks pretty bad in mp and the matches feel ridiculously quiet due to only having 24 players. Maybe I should try rush as that may be more suitable for the consoles? Either way bf4 on x1/ps4 with 64p and 1080p is going to shatter BF console players' minds.

I did like how I immediately hopped in and everyone in my squad had mics and were communicating well. Need to get used to the awful ds3 too..

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Hopped in due to ps+, but I have 250 hrs clocked in the pc version. Just wanted to see how the console versions stacked up. Looks pretty bad in mp and the matches feel ridiculously quiet due to only having 24 players. Maybe I should try rush as that may be more suitable for the consoles? Either way bf4 on x1/ps4 with 64p and 1080p is going to shatter BF console players' minds.

I did like how I immediately hopped in and everyone in my squad had mics and were communicating well. Need to get used to the awful ds3 too..

BF3 is also "locked" at 30 fps on the ps360.

BF4 will be at 60 fps on the ps4/xbone =D

if you want action try Canals TDM. it's like a big kid version of Shipment.

TheSeks

Yeah, but not totally restricted around the containers. Now and then you have action on the railroad tracks and the docks.

Also Evolved: Took 24-hours for me. Installed it at 7AM this morning, patch failed to download and finally just finished now it's installing. Horseshit.

TheSeks

What is this bullshit
I can play online because everything requires DLC

Yes you can play online. Uncheck the maps/packs you don't own and find a server. Generally the DICE servers stick to vanilla rotations with a few giving the DLC which will kick you.

Top Bottom