• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

JJD

Hey lostsupper!

Just saw on the LED/Plasma thread that you're buying a Sony 55W950A.

I've been thinking of buying this TV for some time now, mainly due to the amazingly low input lag. But coming from a Panasonic Plasma I'm really afraid of motion blur which is an issue practically all LCDs and LED TVs have (with varying degrees of severity) when dealing with fast moving images.

Have you pulled the trigger? If positive how's your experience playing BF3 with it?

Any input would be really appreciated man!

Soler

Banned
Yes you can play online. Uncheck the maps/packs you don't own and find a server. Generally the DICE servers stick to vanilla rotations with a few giving the DLC which will kick you.
Where do I go to uncheck
I can't seem to find the settings outside of searching by name

Sajjaja

Anyone got any tips or know of any good guides for flying a helicopter? Something that covers strafing, circle strafing etc etc. Or do I just have to learn from the ever talented Evolved 1?

Hey lostsupper!

Just saw on the LED/Plasma thread that you're buying a Sony 55W950A.

I've been thinking of buying this TV for some time now, mainly due to the amazingly low input lag. But coming from a Panasonic Plasma I'm really afraid of motion blur which is an issue practically all LCDs and LED TVs have (with varying degrees of severity) when dealing with fast moving images.

Have you pulled the trigger? If positive how's your experience playing BF3 with it?

Any input would be really appreciated man!

I'm going to pick it up on Friday. I'll post impressions after the weekend.

Regarding plasmas for gaming, I don't get it. Side by side, motion looked no different on my current XBR9 than the ST50 I had for a week--but the dithering and the image retention were very real and very annoying.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anyone got any tips or know of any good guides for flying a helicopter? Something that covers strafing, circle strafing etc etc. Or do I just have to learn from the ever talented Evolved 1?

Play the second co-op mission for the basics. If you're the pilot don't crash basically in that mission. :)

If you're the gunner wait for the pilot to crash and the game to eventually load you into the pilot seat.

Once you have the basics the rest should follow. Circle strafing is the best way of doing things now since there's finally answers to the heli's in BF3.

Alright thanks
It was already set to specific maps for some reason

Because DICE expects the playerbase to have bought those maps, which 80% of the playerbase has. Renters like you haven't, hence why you weren't able to join those servers.

Soler

Banned
Play the second co-op mission for the basics. If you're the pilot don't crash basically in that mission. :)

If you're the gunner wait for the pilot to crash and the game to eventually load you into the pilot seat.

Once you have the basics the rest should follow. Circle strafing is the best way of doing things now since there's finally answers to the heli's in BF3.

Because DICE expects the playerbase to have bought those maps, which 80% of the playerbase has. Renters like you haven't, hence why you weren't able to join those servers.
80%? Really
Quite the dedicated user base
Can I see where you got this?

TheSeks

More of the player-base is premium than not. Hence, they have the maps included in that package than those that bought them piecemeal or didn't buy them at all.

JJD

I'm going to pick it up on Friday. I'll post impressions after the weekend.

Regarding plasmas for gaming, I don't get it. Side by side, motion looked no different on my current XBR9 than the ST50 I had for a week--but the dithering and the image retention were very real and very annoying.

Thanks man! Take your time and give us your impressions after you're comfortable with the TV!

Plasmas are usually better at displaying high speed motion because their refresh rate is better. Don't forget that the XBR9 is at the top of the Sony LED line, while the ST50 is the middle level Panasonic Plasma.The fact that the XBR9 performed the same is more an indication of it's qualities than of the ST50 shortcomings.

I never had any issues with image retention on my VT50. And I started gaming on it as soon as I got it out of the box. Never even bothered with break up slides or anything.

And while dithering is an issue inherent to the Plasma technology like Motion Blur is with LCD/LEDS it was almost negligible and never bothered me. Maybe because I've been using Plasmas TVs for years now and I'm used to it?

That said If I'm not mistaken the ST used a different processor than the VT line that resulted in poorer performance (including worse input lag than the older ST model, an issue that a lot of people complained a lot about!), but that only answers your issues with dithering (and maybe motion). The IR is a panel issue.

What was your impression on input lag on the ST50?

Anyway, thanks for the reply and I await anxiously for your impressions! =D

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Best place to learn flying isn't really the co-op mission... since you need a partner for that, and often you don't even get to play as the pilot!

Just find an empty server set to a map with whatever vehicle you want to practice. Kharg is a great practice map since it has varied terrain and light posts (that make you crash) everywhere, so if you can get to the point where you can fly low through all those obstacles, you're pretty much good for anything.

But actually maneuvering the helicopter is one of the least important things about piloting, and why I'm actually not such a great chopper pilot even though I can do any maneuver in the chopper the youtube pros do.

Things more important to piloting than actually flying:

• Situational awareness.
  • Communication and coordination with gunner.
  • Evasive break-lock tactics (more about using the terrain than anything else)
  • 1v1 missile strategy and ECM management.

All of those things are more important than how well you "fly". And that's the stuff you learn in a live match. Unlike flying, you cannot practice that in an empty server. So get comfortable in the chopper in an empty server, to the point where flying is second nature. Because real BF piloting is actually about those other skills. The flying part is just subconscious.

edit: I will play the coop piloting mission with anyone that wants to practice the combat stuff though. Just message me anytime.

Yeah, but not totally restricted around the containers. Now and then you have action on the railroad tracks and the docks.

Also Evolved: Took 24-hours for me. Installed it at 7AM this morning, patch failed to download and finally just finished now it's installing. Horseshit.

Hey... will this overwrite the old patch? Or am I going to have 4 fucking gigs of patch data now? And if I delete the game data, that will delete all my DLC right?

PS3 is so fucking stupid sometimes.

TheSeks

I'd assume it doesn't delete the DLC since it's reading from that same file. I dunno what the 2 gigs patch is for in regards to the digital but there you go. The save files and stuff all read fine. I just needed the 2 gig patch.

What was your impression on input lag on the ST50?

Tried Dark Souls, 360BF3, Unepic, Skyrim, Saints Row 3, and a bunch of SNES/NES emulation on Game mode.

Just like the tv it was supposed to replace, it handled all the modern games fine. Dark Souls might have felt a little laggier on the plasma, but the difference was extremely small. SNES/NES was a different story. Super Mario World is playable on the XBR9, but not great. There's a noticeable lag during precise jumps that can be dealt with, but I'd like to get it as minimal as possible. The ST50 was noticeably worse.

I really hope the input lag on the 55w900a is as good as we're hearing.

Sadetar

It must be ages since I was here last time.

Lostsupper, cutie, you are my favourite bald midget and I am missing you loads. I haven't seen you in ages. How have you been?

The Faceless Master, I haven't seen OldGimletEyes in a long, long time. Have he been playing with you darlings lately?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I also need help flying the chopper
Whenever I try strafing I go to much to the side and end up crashing

It takes a while to get used to. Slowly press RT (or whatever on PS3), and you'll go up. To move forward, slowly point downwards with the right stick. Use the left stick to turn, and the right stick to adjust your speed and stuff.

At least, I think that's what you're supposed to do.

TheSeks

I also need help flying the chopper
Whenever I try strafing I go to much to the side and end up crashing

You see that tilt circle on the HUD? You want to keep that tilt sensor in the middle. That'll stop you from crashing.

Soler

Banned
Jet is much easier to handle but the machine guns are horrible

Edit: a big problem I have with the choppers is I tend to roll and gout of control
It's a bad habit I'm trying to kick

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Jet is much easier to handle but the machine guns are horrible

Edit: a big problem I have with the choppers is I tend to roll and gout of control
It's a bad habit I'm trying to kick

Do you use the default control scheme? They are pretty shitty.

I can't recall exactly what I use, but I'll check once my game DL's this gigantic fucking patch. I also have the flight controls inverted (which is actually non-inverted irl) it makes jets a little weird (always flown with inverted controls in jets) but the chopper is far more intuitive to fly where up is up and down is down.

Soler

Banned
Do you use the default control scheme? They are pretty shitty.

I can't recall exactly what I use, but I'll check once my game DL's this gigantic fucking patch. I also have the flight controls inverted (which is actually non-inverted irl) it makes jets a little weird (always flown with inverted controls in jets) but the chopper is far more intuitive to fly where up is up and down is down.
Yea default
What's alternate switch?
if only PS+ were on sale, i would pull the trigger on it right now just for no disk BF3...

but time is on my side
There's a sale at best buy kinda

TheSeks

I've been playing singleplayer. I see Faceless on. If ya'll want to play Rush after I have a quick dinner I'm down to do that.

Speaking of singleplayer
dat beheading

As for helicopters and jets: I use the defaults. I think I changed jet button layout for the F-35 but since you don't have the DLC that shouldn't matter for you.

Edit: Yo, we in there.

Kak.efes

If you want to get a random out of your chopper. Just pitch the nose up, and fly backwards. Works like 50% of the time. I especially like doing that at the start of a Kharg round, since they bail into the ocean.

I think that's a tip?

TheSeks

You're back and custom servers. Peasant.

Also Dr. Mario is LTTP on PS3. I see that's a common theme with him.

Qwell

Had my 2nd hard lock playing BF3 today .... ggrrr hate those, had some decent matches though, much better playing Rush on console. Think I might actually have fun some playing this on PS3, I can definitely tell I need to brush up on my controller skills though. Piloted my first attack helo though using the controller (mouse and keyboard using PC) and it was a little rough starting, I actually scared my co-pilot out of the gunner seat. It was his loss however, ended up lasting a while and had a squad mate spawn on me and we tore it up. Think I got 19 kills that round.

Coxy

I'm up to thunder run in single player, I glitched out of my tank it ran me over and I died. now every time I load checkpoint he just stands there in the desert and nothing happens.

TheSeks

I'm up to thunder run in single player, I glitched out of my tank it ran me over and I died. now every time I load checkpoint he just stands there in the desert and nothing happens.

Restart mission is the only thing that'll fix that I'm afraid.

And I hate people continuing to spawn in the heli when we need ground forces and are outnumbered. Double so when everyone on the team spawns recon after Me and a teammate start to beacon and then I switch kits to patch everyone up to lose the sets TWICE with 40 tickets left. SMH.

TheSeks

Oh my god that shooting range section. It's stopping me cold with that stupid sniper in a chokepoint bit. That or the script has one enemy spawn on the catwalks to where I have to rush into walls before they mow me down. So annoying!

olimpia84

Game is currently being ruined due to the crappy server balance from all them PS+ noobs. You're either on a shit team or a really good team that steamrolls everything....can't they make a freaking balance algorithm for this game that works?

TheSeks

They have, but that means splitting us. And until they drop stats I'm afraid I'm not going to do that my dear.

DarkFlow

Banned
Maybe I should dust off the ol copy and play the PS3 version for awhile. It's hard coming off my Mtn top that is the PC game.
KuGsj.gif

TheSeks

OH MY GOD. I thought the train section was what you were talking about. No, it's AFTER that QTE bit on the train. I know what you're talking about now, Evolved. And WTF WERE YOU THINKING, DICE? Seriously? On hard? Seriously? A shotgun as soon as you drop? Seriously?

OH MY GOD. I thought the train section was what you were talking about. No, it's AFTER that QTE bit on the train. I know what you're talking about now, Evolved. And WTF WERE YOU THINKING, DICE? Seriously? On hard? Seriously? A shotgun as soon as you drop? Seriously?

It's such a fucking mess…before I figured out how to cheese that section I think out of the 30 or so times I tried I maybe got through legitimately two times, and both times I did get through, I ended up getting killed later on and re-started at that section…again.

Top Bottom