• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

eek5

The Faceless Master said:
every game i try, i get 1 emplacement kill... wtf!?

also, DAT SOFLAM! poor enemy tanks had a hard time getting over the hill!

and for some reason i am STILL not sure how many kills Combat Efficiency is!!!

it's gotta be 6, right?
I think it is 5. I just went 11-0 and got two ribbons for combat efficiency

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Evolved: Oh, hey, what do you know.

5 kills in the helicopter, last one to get the ribbon was in a jet that didn't have flares unlocked. I find that hilarious.

Also Mike and Bruiser: Squad abilities DO NOT stack! I dunno if you're doing it intentionally but if someone has a squad perk activated CHOOSE ANOTHER ONE. >_>

I started using medical because at one point everyone was using support.

I don't really care. I just found it funny since you weren't throwing out kits and reviving people like I was.

Default medic gun for US team (M16A3 + broken INRV, M9 default pistol backup. Ammo perk towards the end since people weren't really throwing out ammo.

It's a matter of staying alive and knowing where the meat grinder areas are while defending areas. Along with taking backroads that generally aren't defended.

DarkFlow

Banned
TheSeks said:
Evolved: Oh, hey, what do you know.

5 kills in the helicopter, last one to get the ribbon was in a jet that didn't have flares unlocked. I find that hilarious.

Also Mike and Bruiser: Squad abilities DO NOT stack! I dunno if you're doing it intentionally but if someone has a squad perk activated CHOOSE ANOTHER ONE. >_>
Your welcome :D

TheSeks

DarkFlow83 said:
Your welcome :D

But... I already had it because of Evolved. I just find it ironic I get it again same-day pretty easy but somewhat luck on that Jet since I can't fly the jets too well. (Ask TGT who clipped me that last round on Kharg Island Conquest)
---

One of the problems that I've seen in the "new class" (and hell some of the old veterans) is that you DO NOT THROW OUT KIT ITEMS. ARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGH. If I'm hurt, THROW A MEDIC KIT. PLEASE. If I'm something not support: PLEASE THROW OUT AN AMMO PACK.

I will even highlight this for people.

PLEASE: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. USE YOUR KIT ITEMS. IF THERE IS A + BOX NEAR YOU (on the mini-map!), THAT'S A MEDIC AND IF THEY HAVE A MEDICKIT THEY WOULD LOVE TO HEAL YOU! I SWEAR!

Seriously: Like I said in BC2's threads... if you are a medic and support/ammo thrower: THROW THE BOX OUT. 9/10 of the time it won't be needed right then but I guarantee you that it WILL be used within 10 minutes.

AKA: If in doubt, throw it out. I know they aren't as useful with people dying everywhere and running places but if I see a + or ammo icon box that indicated a support/medic I WILL STOP AND WAIT FOR A BOX IF YOU PROVIDE ONE. PLEASE.

DarkFlow

Banned
TheSeks said:
But... I already had it because of Evolved. I just find it ironic I get it again same-day pretty easy but somewhat luck on that Jet since I can't fly the jets too well. (Ask TGT who clipped me that last round on Kharg Island Conquest)
---

One of the problems that I've seen in the "new class" (and hell some of the old veterans) is that you DO NOT THROW OUT KIT ITEMS. ARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGH. If I'm hurt, THROW A MEDIC KIT. PLEASE. If I'm something not support: PLEASE THROW OUT AN AMMO PACK.

I will even highlight this for people.

PLEASE: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. USE YOUR KIT ITEMS. IF THERE IS A + BOX NEAR YOU (on the mini-map!), THAT'S A MEDIC AND IF THEY HAVE A MEDICKIT THEY WOULD LOVE TO HEAL YOU! I SWEAR!

Seriously: Like I said in BC2's threads... if you are a medic and support/ammo thrower: THROW THE BOX OUT. 9/10 of the time it won't be needed right then but I guarantee you that it WILL be used within 10 minutes.

AKA: If in doubt, throw it out. I know they aren't as useful with people dying everywhere and running places but if I see a + or ammo icon box that indicated a support/medic I WILL STOP AND WAIT FOR A BOX IF YOU PROVIDE ONE. PLEASE.

Well I try to throw them all the time, but 9/10 the people run away from them before they get anything. I'm not going to chase you around the map throwing boxs at you.

TheSeks

DarkFlow83 said:
Well I try to throw them all the time, but 9/10 the people run away from them before they get anything. I'm not going to chase you around the map throwing boxs at you.

Throw it out at a chokehold point. Throw it out if they're prone. Throw it out even if they're running somewhere. SOMEONE WILL USE IT, I SWEAR.

It's FREE POINTS eventually. I don't see how not using it is beneficial to you! People may run away but forget them. The people that get the ammo (yes, even enemies!) will give you points within the round. Throw it out frequently. PLEASE.
---
Anyway, highlights of tonight/today was: This game where I totally trolled with AT mines and rockets while switching kits with the enemy on the fly to own them in the face in the process. LITERALLY. This is before Noire joined my games and I didn't want to play Dan and Olimpia on Rush (IIRC), so I went by myself. I RPG'ed one of the open-air machine gun jeep/ATV thingies, switch to my BFF AKS-74U pop a dude that popped out before I RPG'ed deathed them. Turn around, am in the open see a tank and another dude. Pop the dude jump dive to the rocks for cover/stealth. Get up, see B is armed. Leap over cover, pop a dude with the AKS-74U, am out of ammo (BECAUSE NO ONE SUPPLIES AMMO. DERP HOW DOES I KIT ITEMS?!), pick up his kit. Laser sight greets me. "SMH" I say as I get out the door of the building right next to B. See an enemy greet me as I am turning the corner. I had turned the laser sight off. In my haste, I turn it back on and hip-fire. Because the laser sight is now on my accuracy if buffed and it pretty much shows you where you're going to hit from hip-fire. Take the dude out, disarm the crate and move around the building to pop another dude with the laser before turning it off to hide my position (even though that wasn't really needed. It was chaos)

Another one was This round where a dude holes up in A. He's pinging Brusierk and I. I find out he's across the street and up there with a LMG. Spawn at A, climb the stairs. Get taken out by a claymore. Spawn again. Climb the stairs. Shoot the MP-443 at the claymore from a distance/cubbyhole on the landing. BLAM, claymore is disabled. Dumbass throws a grenade.

"SHIT!" 180 and head for the cubbyhole. No damage. Grenade explodes. Start to clim--GRENADE!

"SHIT!" Cubbyhole. Explode, no damage. I get up the steps a bit. See the dude through the steel whatever that supports the staircase. I use the AK-47 and spray through the steel grate. Hit him and he moves, throwing another grenade. I jump down the stairs, reload. BLAM, no damage no nothing since it wasn't near me. Pop up the stairs slowly. He's reloading or something and sitting in the corner, I rush up the steps hip-firing him in the head. Commence doing the "worm"/teabag with prone and jumping back to standing in celebration as... forgetting who spawned on me... Bo? spawned prone on me and the rest of the team took C of Metro.

rdrr gnr

Every map besides Grand Bazaar is absolute shit.

I tried shotguns last match. LOL. Good one DICE.
TheSeks said:
I know. Meh.

TheSeks

MuseManMike said:
Every map besides Grand Bazaar is absolute shit.

What? No. Today must be opposite day but choke points that are basically long halls that you can throw a hotdog ammo down is so not good.

I tried shotguns last match. LOL. Good one DICE.

Are you talking the damage or hit detection? The hit detection is improved over BC2 and in fact they're quite deadly at close-mid range. Mid-range you may need to pump 2-3 shots (and in close quarters if they're on a medikit/lag), but it's still deadly.

Slugs even make them crazier if you're willing to pump a few shots from across the map.

I know. Meh.

I don't think Bruiserk knows. :p

rdrr gnr

TheSeks said:
What? No. Today must be opposite day but choke points that are basically long halls that you can throw a hotdog ammo down is so not good.
I just like the pacing. You are never trapped, even if you only have B. The flanks are good, and the line of sight is good. Each kit is useful as well! Which is probably the most important feature.

Are you talking the damage or hit detection? The hit detection is improved over BC2 and in fact they're quite deadly at close-mid range. Mid-range you may need to pump 2-3 shots (and in close quarters if they're on a medikit/lag), but it's still deadly.

Slugs even make them crazier if you're willing to pump a few shots from across the map.
I was in a really laggy match, but that might be unfair. But I thought the 870 in the beta was absolutely fine when it came to damage. Nerf was unnecessary.

I don't think Bruiserk knows. :p
He does as well. It's just that we switch so often. Sometimes we forget.

DarkFlow83 said:
well throw them down anyway.

I throw ammo boxes/med kits out into the air sometimes >.>

(then again it's like second nature to me)

red731

If I am medic and the screen hint tells me to offer medkit by pressing select,
what does the game says to you? Like if you are different class and need health?
Just curious what it writes or if the medkit blimp on map glows or something.

Sometimes I am running on empty weapons, pressing select to try and get someone to throw me ammo, until death.

Other times I am running all the way back just to resupply on previously thrown ammo or med packs in location that is really not convenient to run back to.

edit: to above, except the talk from me like - here is your ammo, medkit here. etc

Ketch

Just played a bunch of good matches in a row with the GAF crew. Good to get some games in after a coupe days off it.

We need to just set up frickin vent or mumble or something because the voip in the game is shit. I just do not understand, I have a monitor in my head phones so I can hear when my mic is picking up my voice, but nobody ever says anything back... can you guys here me at all?

Bruiserk

EasyTGT said:
Just played a bunch of good matches in a row with the GAF crew. Good to get some games in after a coupe days off it.

We need to just set up frickin vent or mumble or something because the voip in the game is shit. I just do not understand, I have a monitor in my head phones so I can hear when my mic is picking up my voice, but nobody ever says anything back... can you guys here me at all?

Me and Mikey were on skype the whole time, that's why were not on mic.

Ketch

I've never used skype for gaming, so not sure how that works, but maybe we can set up a common GAF server or whatever so we can chat while playing.... Do you think the shitty voip in the game is a result of a bug or just ps3 hardware issues? I really don't play PS3 much online.

rdrr gnr

EasyTGT said:
I've never used skype for gaming, so not sure how that works, but maybe we can set up a common GAF server or whatever so we can chat while playing.... Do you think the shitty voip in the game is a result of a bug or just ps3 hardware issues? I really don't play PS3 much online.
It's a bug. VoIP is never great, but it did work well enough in Bad Company 2. Skype isn't a mumble type thing so as far as the rest of GAF goes, I don't know, but feel free to add me and Bruiserk and we can chat on there.

Ketch

MuseManMike said:
It's a bug.

Man then they need to fix that shit already. Voice chat is kind of a big deal in team based shooters. Any body have a vent server or something we can all play on? I may be tempted to host one for a month if everyone is going to stick around.... but skyrim comes out so soon so maybe it's best to wait.

rdrr gnr

Shotout to Boatack, played for a few hours. Only lost a game or two. It was particularly laggy night however, somewhat dampened my enjoyment.

Saiyu

Could someone explain the point of the SOFLAM please? What weapons can take advantage of the lock (IIRC in Bad Company the Engineers RPGs could use it, is this still the case?)

Nabs

EasyTGT said:
Man then they need to fix that shit already. Voice chat is kind of a big deal in team based shooters. Any body have a vent server or something we can all play on? I may be tempted to host one for a month if everyone is going to stick around.... but skyrim comes out so soon so maybe it's best to wait.

Feel free to use the Mumble server whenever.

red731 said:

Haven't seen a lot of people use laser guided weaponry on random matches so far. Are they so hard to unlock or are there just not enough people bothering to use em?
The SOFLAM + MAV gadgets would actually be my dream combo for a kit, but I suppose there is no way to use one of them in the beacon gadget slot.

Love my little Surveillance Ribbon/Medal collection so far, though
screenshot2011-11-07a8volm.png

I wonder if it's a bug that Recon only gets ribbons from using MAV instead of TUGS and SOFLAM :/

All other classes get their respective ribbons with the early unlocks but the Recon is left without bonuses until you get the MAV...

It would seem logical that Recon would get the bonuses using whatever tools at its disposal, most of all with the TUGS as the ribbon description reads "Motion Sensor assists"

Oh and also red731, those couple conquest matches yesterday were really boring when the other team just didn't fight back at all :p Matches ended really quickly and no one got any good amount of points...

red731

Noisepurge said:
Oh and also red731, those couple conquest matches yesterday were really boring when the other team just didn't fight back at all :p Matches ended really quickly and no one got any good amount of points...

Haha, yes :D We were steamrolling them and they were so unorganized or whatever the cause was, that we won pretty fast.
Hopefuly people will go for objectives and push more towards them and not just be everywhere on map and playing deathmatch.

I love how the tanks on Nashir Tunnels just fall down from that step near train rails to capture the flag :D

OH AND ALSO:

I was leaving squads yesterday to tell Charles_surge and maybe others to join our squad, but they never did :(
:D

If I see anyone with GAF in front of their names I immediately am trying to be with them in squad. Maybe I should premade message and then send it to you :D

Also they have changed the Battlelog order of win/lose from newest to oldest and not from oldest to newest as I can see.
8 wins in a row...nice

On trying co-op: I realize complaining about broken things is pointless and a large task. However, twice in co-op Operation Exodus my UI has glitched so that I can't see bullet count, spot targets/see spotted targets, and once my gun wouldn't reload/fire (I wasn't out of bullets yet) so I had to go switch in a new weapon. It's too bad when you directly let your co-op partner down. It's also unfriendly to new players: tank rolling past Exodus line and having to pilot a chopper as your two open missions. My random partner and I were both co-op newbies. We almost beat the chopper mission, I must've clipped a tree or something... there's also no 3rd person heli-view in co-op . My partner wasn't shooting most of the people in front of him/her, and again UI glitched so I couldn't spot them.

Edit: Meppi, you're gonna buy Deadly Premonition, right? I would if I bought a 360 :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Squad abilities don't stack, but they also aren't as pronounced for the other squad members. I noticed it with squad sprint. Olimpia and I both had it on, so I switched to something else. But I was running quite a bit slower than I should've been... so I switched back and speed was fine again.

The one for grenades and ammo are good... but if you want sprint, you need to equip it yourself.

Also, Seks... Caspian Border gives away air warfare pins. We did it on Kharg... which is a little harder because of building cover (and all the damn lamp posts).

Miggytronz

XBOX HD texture pack solution by a member on Battlelog.

Doctor3d said:
OP Here:

I've figured out and resolved this 'problem.' I`ll try to make this as simple as I can.

-- When you have the disc and the HD textures installed to your Xbox 360 drive. Both of them have to stream simultaneously from the drive into memory when called.

--The problem with this is, it slows down the texture draw rate and causes more "pop-ins" which in turn makes everything take longer to fully materialize.

--This translates to when you are near things that have HD textures, they take longer to show up and if your not near them long enough they never do and look 'worse.'

--This is caused by your hard drive having to do extra work to produce both the base textures and HD textures simultaneously from the same source.

--The reason it looks better when the Disc is used instead of being installed is that SD material and game entites stream from disc while HD textures exclusively stream from the hard drive. This increases the bandwidth available to the drive and everything appears on your screen faster, so you don't have to be near something for as long for it to fully materialize.

SOLUTION:

--You need a flash drive or USB hard drive that is at least as fast or faster than the Xbox 360's DVD player. The Write speed doesn't matter, what's important is the Read speed.

--The Xbox 360's DVD drive has an average read speed of about ~17Mbps give or take

--Using a flash drive slower than this speed will cause the same or worse affect as installing to drive

--Using a flash drive faster than this speed will improve the texture draw beyond what the disc is doing (Improving graphics even further)

Application:

--Stick a flash drive into your computer.

--Download this application called "HD_Speed" http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20

--Select "Read" from the options, and then select your Flash Drive and push Start

--If the flash drive is faster than ~17Mbps Install the game to it after installing the HD pack.

--I put the game and updates on the flash drive and leave the profile, marketplace content and of course HD pack on the Hard Drive.

The game will look and run as optimal as possible. The faster the flash drive the faster the textures materialize. This includes the shadow textures, (which is why some of you notice that things look darker, greener, browner more vivid, etc)

I do not have a PVR card to show you the difference, but it's there. A good test to see if it's working is this:

Install the game and then the HD texture pack (Worst way to do it)

- Go to caspian border and go to the gas station. Look for the yellow garbage bin next to the building by the gas tanks. Count how many seconds it takes for it to fully materialize.

-Install the HD textures and do not install the game (Good Way) -- Look how much faster it materializes

--Install the HD textures and install the game to a super fast flash drive -- Even faster almost instantly..

speaking of glitches, i had an amazing glitch on Noshahr Canals where i accidentally started climbing down a ladder at the canal inlet on the side by the cargo container area and then flew up 30ft into the air.

Miggytronz

http://n4g.com/news/876233/battlefield-3-invincibility-glitch-approaches-god-mode

Battlefield 3 Invincibility Glitch Approaches [God Mode]

This glitch was discovered accidentally. The process was redone, and the glitch was successfully re-created. The glitch allows the player to gain Invincibility, also known as God Mode.

The only way you can die from this glitch is if you get shot by a shotgun, other than that you become immortal, you can survive any other type of bullet, explosive, and melee.

There will be no tutorial released to keep the game safe, however it has been reported to the developers, for a patch (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

BoatAck

TheSeks said:
Another one was This round where a dude holes up in A. He's pinging Brusierk and I. I find out he's across the street and up there with a LMG. Spawn at A, climb the stairs. Get taken out by a claymore. Spawn again. Climb the stairs. Shoot the MP-443 at the claymore from a distance/cubbyhole on the landing. BLAM, claymore is disabled. Dumbass throws a grenade.

"SHIT!" 180 and head for the cubbyhole. No damage. Grenade explodes. Start to clim--GRENADE!

"SHIT!" Cubbyhole. Explode, no damage. I get up the steps a bit. See the dude through the steel whatever that supports the staircase. I use the AK-47 and spray through the steel grate. Hit him and he moves, throwing another grenade. I jump down the stairs, reload. BLAM, no damage no nothing since it wasn't near me. Pop up the stairs slowly. He's reloading or something and sitting in the corner, I rush up the steps hip-firing him in the head. Commence doing the "worm"/teabag with prone and jumping back to standing in celebration as... forgetting who spawned on me... Bo? spawned prone on me and the rest of the team took C of Metro.
I saw you take that guy out, I was a little bit behind you while you were on the stairs. That was a pretty cool encounter to watch though. For good measure I went and did the "worm"/teabag on him too.

The worst players in BF3 are playing TDM and SDM I think.

My "terrible at gun battles" ass has been putting in work the last few nights in those modes, makes unlocking gun attachements a breeze too. Sadly, some classes gadgets arent needed tho so its a bit hard to level class specific stuff.
3-4 guys with half a brain of skill can dominate those modes.

If Im right too, and it feel like Im right, the lag/latency or whatever it is is super low and the hit detection is incredibly responsive in TDM/SDM.
MAybe its the low player count, smaller maps, or reduced vehicles but I havent had one instance of "how did I lose that gun battle" and every distance shot you fire on target ALWAYS registers, no more thinking "I know I hit that guy in the head"

Great way to get knife and pistol kills too. Super easy to initiate the "kill animation" istead of missing or just slicing. You get close to a guy and it initiates with ease.
Shotguns are beast too, if you point they get hit my some dmg even at a good distance

Seriously, if you wanna boost your K/D ratio, unlock the attachements REALLY fast on a gun, or just want to really see BF3 show amazing hit detection give it a go.
It too really really really help improved my gun work/game in other modes. Having less people hittting me from angles, more time to explore and learn maps, more 1 on 1, 1 on 2 encounters help with aim and tactics and such.

Daigoro

The Faceless Master said:
co-op mode is so awful.

and yet its 100x more entertaining than single player.

im almost done grinding thank god. the only weapon i even wanted is the assault G3. hope its decent...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I might finally get my internet connection this wednesday.

* Crosses fingers *

mbmonk

Tossing out ammo kits is free points, but health kits are different. I will only throw down a kit if I know there is going to be a prolonged fire fight at a specific location of the map. I can't tell you how many times I have started to throw out a health kit and gotten killed because my gun wasn't out or I had to look away from a certain location in order to get the kit in a proper position.

Also in this game it's seems like you can kill someone pretty quickly and that reduces the role of the med pack a bit, and places more importance on the defibs.

I am not going to run around the map throwing med packs out all over the place. 90% of the time people don't need them. They are either full health or dead ( thus defibs ).

I am not against using them, but I am not going to spam them either. Ammo.. sure spam it. It's free points.

Ketch

Evolved1 said:
Squad abilities don't stack, but they also aren't as pronounced for the other squad members.

Are you sure? I haven't read anything about them being less pronounced. I've only ever read that they may be proximity based... but even that wasn't from dice.

Are basing your assumption on the one time where I had squad sprint and we were running down the hill from spawn on tehran highway? I remember you said "Man, you are running way faster then me" But I actually just got pushed way forward by a jeep right before that.

Evolved1

EasyTGT said:
Are you sure? I haven't read anything about them being less pronounced. I've only ever read that they may be proximity based... but even that wasn't from dice.

Are basing your assumption on the one time where I had squad sprint and we were running down the hill from spawn on tehran highway? I remember you said "Man, you are running way faster then me" But I actually just got pushed way forward by a jeep right before that.

Actually that was the game... but it wasn't just that you beat me to the objective. I switched immediately after and the difference was night and day.

Evolved1

Mikasangelos said:
so the squad abilities dont stack???? I was sure they did.

any validation to this?

They definitely don't stack... very easy to test with extra frag. You'll never have more than 2, even if the entire squad has the squad specialization.

Miggytronz

so only 1 squad specialization at a time for the squad?

so if i have squad sprint and someone else has squad flak on they cancel out?

IRCONFUSION

Evolved1

Mikasangelos said:
so only 1 squad specialization at a time for the squad?

so if i have squad sprint and someone else has squad flak on they cancel out?

IRCONFUSION

No, no... that's not what we mean by stacking. Stacking is like... two squad members have extra (squad) frag so it "stacks" and everyone has 3 frags.

You can only have one of each spec active in every squad. So a total of four squad specs max, - redundancies.

Evolved1

MuseManMike said:
Firestorm is basically that.

There are annoying jets and not enough helicopters.

Though it sure is better than 90% of the other maps.

rdrr gnr

Evolved1 said:
There are annoying jets and not enough helicopters.

Though it sure is better than 90% of the other maps.
-.- I think it's one of the worst. It doesn't have good class balance or pacing.

My Preferred Conquest Maps:

Best:
Grand Bazaar

Great:

Damavand Peak
Tehran Highway
Seine Crossing

Good/Average:
Kharg Island
Caspian Border

Below Average:
Norshar Canals