• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Pie Lord

MuseManMike said:
Spawn in the water against a good team and let me know how it goes.
Point taken. I suppose the fact that I almost always find myself playing as the Russians on that map might have something to do with me liking it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I despise all infantry maps and anything designed around chokepoints.

Now I just quit when they come up. I won't play them.

Evolved1 said:
There are annoying jets and not enough helicopters.

Though it sure is better than 90% of the other maps.

I would be cool with firestorm but with double tanks, 2 attack helicopters, 2 transport choppers and one plane each.

Also, I feel like I am the only one using the transport chopper. You get no vehicle points when you capture a point and a measly 20 point for vehicle assist kills when hovering and letting your gunners reign chain gun fire on the snipers on the roofs. More points when flying the transport helicopter would be nice.

rdrr gnr

Evolved1 said:
I despise all infantry maps and anything designed around chokepoints.

Now I just quit when they come up. I won't play them.
Chokepoints aren't this homogenous entity some people paint them as. There are good and bad chokepoints. Good chokepoint maps focus the action but always allow alternate paths (Grand Bazaar/Seine Crossing) whereas bad chokepoint maps funnel players into an unavoidable firing squad (every single BC2: Vietnam map and OP Metro).

Another way I look at it is that good chokepoints allow a player to partake in immediate action if they choose to, whereas a bad chokepoint forces a player into action whether they want to or not.

I'm all for well designed vehicles maps, as long as every class has some measurable utility. Caspian border is a good example of this; Firestorm is not.

JJD

MuseManMike said:
Chokepoints aren't this homogenous entity some people paint them as. There are good and bad chokepoints. Good chokepoint maps focus the action but always allow alternate paths (Grand Bazaar/Seine Crossing) whereas bad chokepoint maps funnel players into an unavoidable firing squad (every single BC2: Vietnam map and OP Metro).

Another way I look at it is that good chokepoints allow a player to partake in immediate action if they choose to, whereas a bad chokepoint forces a player into action whether they want to or not.

I'm all for well designed vehicles maps, as long as every class has some measurable utility. Caspian border is a good example of this; Firestorm is not.

I'll have to disagree with you there my friend. I loved Operation Hastings and Phu Bai! Both were big, open maps that you could approach the objectives from various paths, specially on Conquest!

Noisepurge said:
I wonder if it's a bug that Recon only gets ribbons from using MAV instead of TUGS and SOFLAM :/

All other classes get their respective ribbons with the early unlocks but the Recon is left without bonuses until you get the MAV...

It would seem logical that Recon would get the bonuses using whatever tools at its disposal, most of all with the TUGS as the ribbon description reads "Motion Sensor assists"

I think it might be a glitch, as I tried getting the Motion Assist Ribbon placing the tugs on Metro flag B.

On 2 games, I was the only one playing recon on my team, and my tugs detected enemies coming from the stairs in front and back of the B flag, and even some coming from the side stair. Those are the only 3 routes available for the team that spawns on the subway to get up, and I never got that Ribbon. Both those games basically revolved around who would control B, with little to no action on the other flags.

Then I played Seinne Crossing with the MAV and got 4 Motion Sensor ribbons in a single round...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Man you guys and your map tastes... I dunno some of you.

rdrr gnr

I'm doing my recon class next so my plan is on farming that MAV medal as much as I can before they patch it.
TheSeks said:
Man you guys and your map tastes... I dunno some of you.
It's an acquired taste.
hmmquite.jpg

TheSeks

MuseManMike said:
I'm doing my recon class next so my plan is on farming that MAV medal as much as I can before they patch it.

It's an acquired taste.
hmmquite.jpg

The market is one of the worst maps ever because of HALLWAYS. Even sneaking around is a pain in the ass. How the hell can you say that's the best map (even with "LOL FLANKING ROUTES" reason which are just as much as a PITA as the hallways) in the game. Seriously!

rdrr gnr

TheSeks said:
The market is one of the worst maps ever because of HALLWAYS. Even sneaking around is a pain in the ass. How the hell can you say that's the best map (even with "LOL FLANKING ROUTES" reason which are just as much as a PITA as the hallways) in the game. Seriously!
The hallways are completely avoidable. Capping A and C are always open from spawn. It is no more or less a pain in the ass as capping any other flag on any other map.

TheSeks

MuseManMike said:
The hallways are completely avoidable. Capping A and C are always open from spawn. It is no more or less a pain in the ass as capping any other flag on any other map.

I'm talking Rush as well. Two hallway entrances for both Conquest and Rush. Just Conquest opens the highway as well.

rdrr gnr

TheSeks said:
I'm talking Rush as well.
M73gK.jpg

Just for clarification if GB plays similarly on Rush, I would hate it. I'm all about open maps with large flanks and no choke points for Rush.

TheSeks

Bruiserk said:
You think he has played Grand Bazaar Rush? lol.

Oh, right. I forget you guys are wusses and can't deal with Rush. My bad.

Point is, the map is terrible all around. The only good thing it has in Conquest is opening the highway up. Otherwise it's two long hallways with a few cut-off points in Rush AND Conquest as well. People putting it up at the top and Metro at the bottom are a head scratcher since they're NEARLY the same damn thing.

Noire said:
recon w/ spawn point?

RPG or Grenade at spawn point, problem solved.

Bruiserk

TheSeks said:

Point is, the map is terrible all around. The only good thing it has in Conquest is opening the highway up. Otherwise it's two long hallways with a few cut-off points in Rush AND Conquest as well. People putting it up at the top and Metro at the bottom are a head scratcher since they're NEARLY the same damn thing.

RPG or Grenade at spawn point, problem solved.

Hey, I'll play rush, I don't complain about it. Whenever I have played rush with you or dream and farlanghn I've had fun for the most part. I'm as surprised as you when it comes to me not playing conquest. That's what we played exclusively in BC2, and once I reach a point it probably will be again, but right now I'm happy with my conquest games. Being able to do what I want (for the most part) and play at my own pace is enjoyable right now.

rdrr gnr

TheSeks said:
No. I don't play it because it's shit. I have 500 more games of Rush played on BC2 than I do Conquest because it was the better gametype. That is the only reason.

Bazaar is amazing. Play that map errday.
Bruiserk said:
Hey, I'll play rush, I don't complain about it. Whenever I have played rush with you or dream and farlanghn I've had fun for the most part. I'm as surprised as you when it comes to me not playing conquest. That's what we played exclusively in BC2, and once I reach a point it probably will be again, but right now I'm happy with my conquest games. Being able to do what I want (for the most part) and play at my own pace is enjoyable right now.
Exactly. We didn't play w/GAF for BC2 so everything is out of context. We played Rush exclusively and we played the objective every single game. But, BF3 isn't BC2.

Evolved1

I was just thinking today how much would I pay for the superior BC1 maps...
A LOT

R.I.P. awesome maps. Better than BF2 maps. Better than BC2 maps. So much better than BFLOLZ maps.

:salutes:

TheSeks

noire said:
I don't know if it's because I try to tuck them out of the way or because people just don't give a shit about them, but most of my spawns last until I use them or switch classes.

If I know people are at a spawn point and there's a ton of them coming, generally the team will come and wipe them out. I'll find the spawn beacon and RPG it.

Better than BC2 maps.

OH NO YOU LE DIDN'T @ Arica Harbor, Port Valadez, and Cold War.

Mike said:
>>Rush in BF3 is shit<<

L-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-L. Only in your and most of GAF's minds that can't accept that defense needed a buff thus no collapsing crates and crates are better protected with indestructible cover now.

Getting to the crate now is more fun than it was in BC2 because now you can't just throw rockets and tanks at the crate to win.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
OH NO YOU LE DIDN'T @ Arica Harbor, Port Valadez, and Cold War..

Two of those are very good, and would fit quite nicely alongside the greatness that is BC1 map design.

Also honorable mention to Panama Canal and Heavy Metal.

Evolved1 said:
I was just thinking today how much would I pay for the superior BC1 maps...
A LOT

R.I.P. awesome maps. Better than BF2 maps. Better than BC2 maps. So much better than BFLOLZ maps.

:salutes:
Back for the Gold Expansion!

End of the Line
Valley Run/Deconstruction Mutant Map
Par for the Course
Crossing Over

C'MON DICE

Evolved1

MuseManMike said:
Since everyone here is enjoying and accepting of my map choices:

Arica Harbor is the best Rush map.

You are correct. If we are only talking about BC2.

The Faceless Master said:
Back for the Gold Expansion!

End of the Line
Valley Run/Deconstruction Mutant Map
Par for the Course
Crossing Over

C'MON DICE

DO IT DICE!!!!

MrBig

Pie Lord said:
Why all the hate for Norshar Canals? That's probably one of my favorite conquest maps right now.
With good teams battling it out it can be great. If it is lopsided it is utter shit.

rdrr gnr

MrBig said:
With good teams battling it out it can be great. If it is lopsided it is utter shit.
That's true of every map.

Edit: Lol at DICE's matchmaking. 6 vs 9 with all flags capped and every teammate under level 10? Yes please.

DarkFlow

Banned
Hate to say it, but I'm bailing out of BF3 for the time being. Since other then playing with gaf people this game pisses me off to no end. I'm jumping over to MW3 since at least there I don't have to worry if my teammates are mentally retarded. I'll pick it up used later since I own the online pass.

MuseManMike said:
Since everyone here is enjoying and accepting of my map choices:

mmm arica harbor, oh you sexy sexy thing.

I have to admit, bf3 is making me tempted to go try mw3

lol.

(I haven't forgot about the contest, winner goes to Mikeangelos(sp?) for his dr pepper pinapple ham thingy recipe. I'll get to giving him the code...whenever I can glop down this second fucking bottle)

Yeah_its_Bob said:
Had a crazy bug last night on ps3. Was playing a great round and all of a sudden I parachute myself down from a chopper. As soon as I land my HUD disappears. I can't tell who is friendly or enemy the game sound goes nuts. I try to shoot bullet dont hit I finally die and it didn't let me re spawn or quit the game.

I got that last night too, was really confusing at first… had no idea if I was shooting friendlies or not. (although I have to say it was rather refreshing to have the entire HUD off the screen for a change. Wish they'd make that a permanent option just to mix things up now and then.)

rdrr gnr

I'd rather have a bad game in a full lobby, than a good game in an empty lobby.

GG Olimpia and JJD though. Lol.

Edit: Check your Battlelog chat people. It's the best we got until they patch VoIP.

olimpia84

MuseManMike said:
I'd rather have a bad game in a full lobby, than a good game in an empty lobby.

GG Olimpia and JJD though. Lol.

Why didn't you stick around for that last game against that level 45 clan? Had to leave or afraid to mess your W/L? We were actually winning for a good portion until they called reinforcements and we were short by like 2 or 3 players at the end. We ended up losing by only 40 tickets. It would have been a sure win with one more gaffer on our side.

rdrr gnr

olimpia84 said:
Why didn't you stick around for that last game against that level 45 clan? Had to leave or afraid to mess your W/L? We were actually winning for a good portion until they called reinforcements and we were short by like 2 or 3 players at the end. We ended up losing by only 40 tickets. It would have been a sure win with one more gaffer on our side.
What the fuck are you talking about? I bailed after our Caspian Border game to eat. I intend on playing again once Bruiserk gets online. I'll be sure to update you if I take some losses so you can get a hard-on from it.

olimpia84

MuseManMike said:
What the fuck are you talking about? I bailed after our Caspian Border game to eat.

I'm talking about the game right after that Caspian Border borefest that we played alongside the level 45 clan. In the next match the game split us up and we were on the opposite team. The first thing I said over the mic when we deployed was "finally we have a good challenging game tonight, let's stick around and do this" and poof you were gone.

MuseManMike said:
I'll be sure to update you if I take some losses so you can get a hard-on from it.

I don't get hard-ons from that; apparently it's you that get those when you look at your W/L (you said it yourself a few posts back). It's just annoying that when we finally have some competent opposition we are left short and this is not the first time it happens with you. Perhaps it's just a coincidence and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but next time before you quit, check the scoreboard and see if your absence will have a negative impact on the team. At least that's what I do to try and help (unless I really have to go then I just quit).

olimpia84

Pie Lord said:
I wasn't even aware that there was a difference.

In terms of speed/controls I don't think there is but I like the cannon sight for the T90 better. That, and the Abrams has a major flaw that when you try to shoot back and down (for example if you have somebody trying to plant C4 on the back of the tank) the cannon gets stuck with the rear part of the body and it's impossible to aim down!

rdrr gnr

olimpia84 said:
I'm talking about the game right after that Caspian Border borefest that we played alongside the level 45 clan. In the next match the game split us up and we were on the opposite team. The first thing I said over the mic when we deployed was "finally we have a good challenging game tonight, let's stick around and do this" and poof you were gone.
I didn't hear that at all. You do know VoIP doesn't work right? I knew JJD was on mic and I couldn't make out a word he was saying (thus why I messaged the both of you on Battlelog before joining the games). I asked JJD if we were waiting on something, and I asked if you were there at all (not knowing if you were trying to talk to me).
I don't get hard-ons from that; apparently it's you that get those when you look at your W/L (you said it yourself a few posts back). It's just annoying that when we finally have some competent opposition we are left short and this is not the first time it happens with you. Perhaps it's just a coincidence and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but next time before you quit, check the scoreboard and see if your absence will have a negative impact on the team. At least that's what I do to try and help (unless I really have to go then I just quit).
I'll be sure to develop an algorithm to compare how hungry I am, with how cold my food is getting, and team imbalance before leaving. I think you need to stop investing so much in a video game that you have to consider "impact" on a team if something else comes up. And I've never left a game because of good players, I only leave if the teams don't have an even number of players or facing a GAF stack.

DarkFlow

Banned
olimpia84 said:
That, and the Abrams has a major flaw that when you try to shoot back and down (for example if you have somebody trying to plant C4 on the back of the tank) the cannon gets stuck with the rear part of the body and it's impossible to aim down!
I drove the M1 in the army, so how they make it in game is true to life. That whole back end is a jet engine.

MuseManMike said:

indeed, so much variation in a single map.

red731 said:
How the hell am I going to find time for this when I played fell in love with RDR yesterday?

I DON'T KNOW!

Pfff, im trying to balance this with Uncharted 3, Arkham City, Dark Souls, Deus Ex 3: ML, Saints Row 3, MGS HD Coll...

Dr Prob

Banned
Am I the only one who still has it stuck in their head that left on the d-pad will bring up the C4?

"I'll just dispose of this tank...Uh-oh. Gonna die badly here. Runrunrun!"

Can't be the only one. Just can't. Why change that of all things. Same still goes for R3 bringing up third person in vehicles, specifically the choppers.

"Easy kills, just swoop down and line them up...OH GAWD third person view!"

That view is great for landing, but when it comes up unexpectedly it's pretty jarring.

So jarring. Also, Arica Harbor Rush was great until people figured out that they could camp miles away with the tanks and shell 5/10 of the crates.

Taking that nonsense out is great, but then they went completely the other way and made it so easy for defenders that Rush is poopy. Straight poopy.

Bad Company 2 had nothing but mediocre maps

Battlefield 3 has some pretty good maps with a few bad ones thrown in

Bad Company 1 has some of the best maps I've personally ever played. I think I'm gonna pick this up again tomorrow for old times sake.

JJD

olimpia84 said:
Never thought I'd say this but I like the T90 better than the Abrams. In BC2 it was the complete opposite.

I always thought the T90 was better because of the sights. What made the Abrams in BC2 the better tank?

Good games tonight Olimpia and Mickey, I tried to join Farlanghn later but his games were always full.

I actually had more fun on that game that we lost than on the others. The only thing that pissed me was that disconnect, I thought the server had crashed...

And as you said we only lost by 40 tickets...if we had 2 more gaffers on our side I think we could have won.

We did have a lvl. 36 on our side, but I felt like there was only the 2 of us trying to hold B against 4 lvl. 45 guys. I can't imagine what the rest of our team was doing the for most of the game.

It seems whenever Gaf plays together people just quit the server. I'm tired of playing little games. I guess I'll remove the clan tag from my name after all. I mean, it must be pretty discouraging to join a server just to see 6, 7 guys from a clan playing together right?

I also played a Rush game with randoms...I don't believe I'll be doing it again any time soon.

Dr Prob said:
Am I the only one who still has it stuck in their head that left on the d-pad will bring up the C4?

"I'll just dispose of this tank...Uh-oh. Gonna die badly here. Runrunrun!"

Can't be the only one. Just can't. Why change that of all things. Same still goes for R3 bringing up third person in vehicles, specifically the choppers.

"Easy kills, just swoop down and line them up...OH GAWD third person view!"

That view is great for landing, but when it comes up unexpectedly it's pretty jarring.

So jarring. Also, Arica Harbor Rush was great until people figured out that they could camp miles away with the tanks and shell 5/10 of the crates.

Taking that nonsense out is great, but then they went completely the other way and made it so easy for defenders that Rush is poopy. Straight poopy.

I'm constantly doing both, especially with c4.

Top Bottom