• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

I don't mind the infantry controls, but player movement, lack of bullet spread or drop, and homing rpg's are hot bullshit. Let's hope it changes before the actual release.

olimpia84

Finally got everything sorted out, downloaded the beta, played one full round of conquest in Shaghai...yeah this shit is inexcusable. Should I thank DICE that they just saved me over $400 since this is the only game I was interested for the PS4?
The one and only complaint I have is the controls. No BF3 controls no sale, simple as that. No, I don't want to re-learn controls all over again. 80% of my deaths were due to pressing select while I was shooting the enemy to spot them but oh wait, the motherfucking battlelog comes on...who gives a flying fuck if I have a request in battlelog in-game?
Square to get into vehicles?? Why? Nothing makes sense.

Again, DICE if you're reading this no BF3 controls no fucking money from me.

Overdoziz

Banned
Ye, first thing you want to do is turn off the in game battlelog in the options. The fact that such an option exists says enough about how dumb it is.

Switching all button layouts to veteran also makes it much more similar to BF3. I'm already used to it after a day or two of playing.

olimpia84

First thing I did before I even spawned was switching to Veteran. Still, way too different from the BF3 scheme. The good thing is I haven't grown tired of BF3 so I can always go back and play it.

RPG's locked on in the "superior" BF BC2.

The Gustav and the AT-4 didn't. I don't care which launcher locks on, but I don't want them all to do it. And RPG lock-ons required sticking a dart first, which takes more skill than just aiming a launcher at a vehicle and getting a one-shot disable.

I know you're the worst 360GAF player, but come on. Bro.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Finally got everything sorted out, downloaded the beta, played one full round of conquest in Shaghai...yeah this shit is inexcusable. Should I thank DICE that they just saved me over $400 since this is the only game I was interested for the PS4?
The one and only complaint I have is the controls. No BF3 controls no sale, simple as that. No, I don't want to re-learn controls all over again. 80% of my deaths were due to pressing select while I was shooting the enemy to spot them but oh wait, the motherfucking battlelog comes on...who gives a flying fuck if I have a request in battlelog in-game?
Square to get into vehicles?? Why? Nothing makes sense.

Again, DICE if you're reading this no BF3 controls no fucking money from me.

Ever thought that DICE had these schemes for the ps3/360 because of the xbox one/ps4? There is no select/start on them anymore. They had to move the spot button somewhere. As for the buttons to get in vehicles and picking up kits I agree should have been kept the same. However what is reload square? Knife? Isn't knife/crouch circle depending on the scheme. X is jump, triangle is to switch weapons.

I think these controls are for the transition to the next generation and I view them as such.

as for
No, I don't want to re-learn controls all over again.

You would have been forced to if this was one of the games you were looking forward too for the ps4 with the reasons above.

Ever thought that DICE had these schemes for the ps3/360 because of the xbox one/ps4? There is no select/start on them anymore. They had to move the spot button somewhere. As for the buttons to get in vehicles and picking up kits I agree should have been kept the same. However what is reload square? Knife? Isn't knife/crouch circle depending on the scheme. X is jump, triangle is to switch weapons.

I think these controls are for the transition to the next generation and I view them as such.

as for
No, I don't want to re-learn controls all over again.

You would have been forced to is this was one of the games you were looking forward too for the ps4 with the reasons above.
indeed. if you were gonna play on PS4, there would be no select button so spot wouldn't be on select and would be on R1. that was one of the first questions i posed when i saw the PS4 controller!!! "so where will the spot/scoreboard be in BF4!?"

the controls... i'm still getting used to them and honestly, what really kills me isn't that select is battlelog, it's that select is TOGGLE battlelog and not HOLD TO SHOW. if the battlelog at least went away when i released select, i would be like 1000x more pleased.

i know a lot of people hate stickdrive, and i totally understand, but i totally loved it in previous games!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
indeed. if you were gonna play on PS4, there would be no select button so spot wouldn't be on select and would be on R1. that was one of the first questions i posed when i saw the PS4 controller!!! "so where will the spot/scoreboard be in BF4!?"

I heard that there was also an option to have R1 for shooting.

If that's right, then it's basically gonna be like what we are doing on the ps3 already.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
i wish the PS3 version had an option with R3 for shooting.

jbafLdsVSu0aUu.png

Well... I guess that's one way to make that button more used...

In all honesty: As much as I hate the R2 spot, I've started to adjust to it after like an hour or two. It's still a terrible placement (double so with the terrible PS3 "triggers") and I wish they had spot-select on PS3 still for that reason alone. Or at least had "Veteran-Lefty" as an option that didn't flip ADS/Fire because it's a "left-handed" option (who uses those? I'm left-handed and use the defaults in console shooters always. Never the left-handed, just throws me off). Only the spot function since I'm so used to having grenades on R2 from BC2. So I'm throwing grenades when I want to Commrose.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I still don't get how that touch-pad is going to be used for BF or other titles on PS4. If it's anything like the backtouch it's just going to be an annoying gimmick that gets in the way of stuff, just thankfully not "right under your hands" like back-touch.

I'd honestly rather Sony drop that, put start-select back on the controller and call it a day. The "share" button is the only new thing they needed to add. select+share for screenshots. Share for video recording.

Then again Valve/Steam is doing the same damn thing for their over-lay on their (IMO, fuck awful with that button layout) controller: adding touch to the center. Ugh.

In any case: I haven't heard your thoughts on BF4 Faceless. I'm curious how you feel toward it. I'm slightly impartial to it.

olimpia84

You guys are right about select missing on the PS4 controller but do they really need to shuffle most of the other buttons? I mean, I'm not against them coming up with a new control layout but at least keep the old one as a preference or better yet, allow for full button configuration and call it a day.

You guys are right about select missing on the PS4 controller but do they really need to shuffle most of the other buttons? I mean, I'm not against them coming up with a new control layout but at least keep the old one as a preference or better yet, allow for full button configuration and call it a day.

i wish they offered full config

i wish everyone did

olimpia84

Admin on the official Battlefield FB page lying to top everything off
3NSFO7N.jpg

Yeah Mr. Admin, please tell me exactly where this "BF3 layout" is located because is nowhere to be found in my beta download.

olimpia84

Now that I'm thinking about it why can't they map spot to the touchpad, scoreboard to holding start...boom, you have BF3 PS3 controls on the PS4. I could care less about Battlelog implementation in game

BoatAck

For the tank, veteran puts the reverse/brake on L1 and accelerate on R1. I can't get used to this setup after playing BF3 for so long. Even practicing on empty servers for the past few days hasn't helped, I still accidentally hit the wrong buttons. Is there any chance the final game offers more control options?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Are you certain? I toggled through all the various control types for helicopter sticks, and controls, and not one gave me the option to have the triggers used for throttle.

Yeah... veteran has the triggers for throttle, it's just that they're the wrong triggers!

They swapped them for no reason, I don't get it. Very frustrating.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's so good to finally snipe again without having to worry about suppression. First time since BC2 that I've actually enjoyed using the sniper rifles.

-Silver-

- Vehicle/heli speeds and maneuverability. The best I can explain it is that I felt the tank and trucks drove like go-karts. Being able to make such tight turns at full speed.

No Tank driver will win a match against another tank driver that is being repaired. This isn't like BC2/BF3 where it still is possible if you know how to use a tank/position yourself well. After five shots it takes a lifetime to reload a shell which is ample amount of time for the enemy tank to be repaired to almost max health.

No Tank driver will win a match against another tank driver that is being repaired. This isn't like BC2/BF3 where it still is possible if you know how to use a tank/position yourself well. After five shots it takes a lifetime to reload a shell which is ample amount of time for the enemy tank to be repaired to almost max health.

DICE: we fixed teamwork

No_Style

I tried a round of the PC beta and enjoyed it. I was considering downloading the PS3 beta but hearing these controller changes for the console version, I'll just wait for the PS4 release. Better to come in fresh as possible.

Muscle memory is a bitch at times.

Top Bottom