• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guess I'm going to attempt crate defense now. It and Nemesis kills are the only two left. *sigh*

Now to find four people that don't notice me prone and crouching near the crate. *sigh*

Also, I should get a "humiliation bonus" whenever I have an enemy helicopter crash when they are trying to lock on. I just go straight up and above them. I use my air radar to position myself just infront & above of them so they rotor their nose at me. This causes their heli to go into a backwards dive into the ground. Its glorious.

MuseManMike said:
I'm trying to level Recon. LOL. Recon. Another good joke by DICE.

You don't say.
I'm looking forward to being the first (or second?) person to have a recon service star soon on GAF soon.

kingschiebi said:
I found Recon leveling to be pretty painless actually. Setup a motion sensor/spawn beacon at the ticket hall in Metro and see the points coming in.
As soon as you get the MAV, run in on any map, set radio beacon, then fall back and use the MAV to spot enemies while your team is advancing.

The secret here is to get as many Surveillance Ribbons and Medals as possible for a ton of points.

It depends a lot on the proficiency of your team as your score is tied to their kills, but it worked out pretty well for me.
Also try to run over enemy snipers with the MAV for a roadkill bonus.
For some reason, that doesn't seem to work for mortars though (sadly)

I don't know.
You are going to take forever if you expect to just level with the mav and surveilliance pin alone. I can easily have the mav up a whole round and it'll barely break 3000pts total if I'm lucky. I only pull up MAV to ensure guarantee wins.

It's easier to score point by playing with the t-ugs and flanking people (exploiting the t-ugs' ability to detect motions regards of terrain levels.)

Daigoro

Noisepurge said:
wat? the surveillance ribbon can only be gotten using the MAV. the 7 kill ribbons can be gotten easy with any and all weapons in a single match of Team Deathmatch.

i didnt say anything about the surveillance ribbon. i was only asking about the least annoying sniper rifle to use to get the rifle kill weapon as someone who hates sniping.

olimpia84 said:
Get to rank 43 and unlock the USAS-12. It's the best shotgun in the game, imo (but then again I could be biased since I was a big fan since the BC2 days...12,000+ kills with it!). It has the best rate of fire and once you unlock some of the sights and extended mag it becomes a beast. It's not very good in medium range situations like it used to in BC2, but still gets the job done nicely. I roll using the regular buckshot and didn't really bothered with the other types of ammo.

just 15 levels to go then! ill check it out eventually.

so just buckshot then huh? i was hoping for something else to be useful, but i guess buckshot works the best for what the shotgun is actually good at.

TheSeks said:
Guess I'm going to attempt crate defense now. It and Nemesis kills are the only two left. *sigh*

Now to find four people that don't notice me prone and crouching near the crate. *sigh*

yeah, that ribbon seems annoying.

i tried to start working on it yesterday but didnt have much luck. i thought C4 would be a good idea, but its hard to get the timing right when you arent that close to the person arming.

Daigoro said:
i didnt say anything about the surveillance ribbon. i was only asking about the least annoying sniper rifle to use to get the rifle kill weapon as someone who hates sniping.

I don't personallyl snipe, so I don't know if I'll be much of a help in that department.
However, if you're running assault recon - any of the semiautos (EMR, MOD 11) without scopes are perfectly fine rifles to use for run and gun. You just have to be careful with them since they have a heavier +slower feel (so don't expect to win much on quick draw battles.)

TheSeks

I want to punch every fucking person I play with today. DERP HOW DOES I DEFEND BOTH CRATES? GO WITH EVERYONE ON ONE SIDE AND LEAVE SEKS TO HIS OWN DEVICES. DERP DERP.

Death death death death death death. M-COM defense. DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH. :|

Fuck this shit.

KILL KILL KILL KILL KNIFE KNIFE KILL KILL KNIFE KNIFE KILL KILL KILL.

Fucks sake DICE: I can be right next to the crate and get no ribbon for that shit? Fuck you!

TheSeks said:
I want to punch every fucking person I play with today. DERP HOW DOES I DEFEND BOTH CRATES? GO WITH EVERYONE ON ONE SIDE AND LEAVE SEKS TO HIS OWN DEVICES. DERP DERP.

Death death death death death death. M-COM defense. DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH. :|

Fuck this shit.

KILL KILL KILL KILL KNIFE KNIFE KILL KILL KNIFE KNIFE KILL KILL KILL.

Fucks sake DICE: I can be right next to the crate and get no ribbon for that shit? Fuck you!

I liked it better when you were complaining about air vehicle kills.

olimpia84

They need to add the ability to use C4 or mortars for Recons. They're pretty much useless in Conquest which is the main game mode basically, probably with the exception of Op. Metro where spawn beacons become very important. In Rush they are more revelant but still not enough. Also, they should give more points for spots assists when using the MAV...like dream said you can be helping the team really hard but finish the round with the lowest score.

JJD

TheSeks said:

It's not that difficult, it's just stupid that you really have to camp and do nothing else. I did it on the first set of Operation Firestorm, I found it easier to do it on the large maps. It took me 3 or 4 games to get it.

My first kill was on the B mcom, the one in the open.

I just camped on a catwalk on the Oil Refinery, at the right side of the road (if you're facing the enemy spawn and the mcom is at your left). You have a pretty good unobstructed view of B from there.

Then 2 or 3 teammates started guarding the mcom, so I moved to A, the one under the refinery (but still on ground floor). There I got 3 more kills.

I found a good, but a little risky position to guard A. The mcom is standing in a wall, close to a corner. Directly in front of it there will be 2 white gas cylinders, and while you can't get under then, you can prone behind then and get a very clear view of the mcom. There's no way to arm it without you seeing, and you're positioned in a way that most, if not all guys flanking the mcom will have a really hard time seeing you. The only problem is that you're going to be with your back turned to enemy spawn, and possible entry point. It shouldn't be much of a issue as most (good) attackers flank the objectives, instead of attacking head on.

They can't get to it from behind the mcom, and from either left or right sides it's really hard to spot you, so you only have to worry about getting hit from behind, but luckily there's a blue fence there, right behind the spot and the gas cylinder. So you're concealed from snipers and long range shooters. No tank shot there in the whole game, jets and choppers couldn't hit that spot.

I just stayed there, looking at the mcom, and waiting for the sound of someone knifing the fence behind me which never came. As you can't hear anyone knifing the fence Seks, just place some claymores behind you and you should be good to go.

C4 on the crates is also a good strategy if you can get a good view of it. I just found it easier to camp closer to midrange with a 4x scope.

Also nemesis ribbon should be easier to obtain in TDM or SDM as killing people is your only objective on those game types.

JJD said:
Also nemesis ribbon should be easier to obtain in TDM or SDM as killing people is your only objective on those game types.

soon we'll be putting up a GAF game of trophy whoring to get these :p I remember the GAF knife fights we had in BFBC2...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Noisepurge said:
soon we'll be putting up a GAF game of trophy whoring to get these :p I remember the GAF knife fights we had in BFBC2...

I got that one legit... took forever.

tsigo

For MCOM defense, all I did was plant C4 on the front, left and right of the MCOM, then go hide a few feet away. I did not maintain line of sight on the station, I just went to the place that provided the best cover and then listened for the arming sound (use headphones). Doing this I got the ribbon after two matches of trying.

olimpia84 said:
They need to add the ability to use C4 or mortars for Recons. They're pretty much useless in Conquest which is the main game mode basically, probably with the exception of Op. Metro where spawn beacons become very important. In Rush they are more revelant but still not enough. Also, they should give more points for spots assists when using the MAV...like dream said you can be helping the team really hard but finish the round with the lowest score.

They're not that useless in conquest >.>
On urban maps (metro, crossing, highway A-B), a t-ugs is very useful placed correctly.
On Norshar and metro, a good spawn beacon will also help the team greatly.

Although yeah, completely useless in open conquests maps like firestorm and capsin. Outside of maybe using the MAV.

Also, as I've said before - playing the class is a spm/stat suicide-sacrifice for the team.

(nothing feels better than owning a bunch of engineers/supports who has no recons on their teams though. Also a MAV is the only practical way to counter another annoying mav.)

rdrr gnr

Dreamgazer said:
You don't say.
I'm looking forward to being the first (or second?) person to have a recon service star soon on GAF soon.
The MAV is my next unlock. So I'll take over those duties when we play together. I wouldn't mind if the PDWs weren't so god awful. The UMP buff can't come soon enough.

So, unlocking the KH2002 is tied in with your actual Score as opposed to your Assault Score - correct? I just unlocked the Russian Aquired weapons (WEAK, Dice) and my next unlock is apparently 220,000 points away, but it didn't indicate exactly what that was.

rdrr gnr

mickcenary said:
So, unlocking the KH2002 is tied in with your actual Score as opposed to your Assault Score - correct? I just unlocked the Russian Aquired weapons (WEAK, Dice) and my next unlock is apparently 220,000 points away, but it didn't indicate exactly what that was.
I'm pretty sure you can only get that gun through CO-OP not traditional multiplayer.

MuseManMike said:
I'm pretty sure you can only get that gun through CO-OP not traditional multiplayer.

WHATYOUSAY?! That's silly, but I'm guessing that means it'll be far easier and far less time-consuming.

Thanks, bro.

TheSeks

A! A! A!!! It's the FLIPPING HARDEST ONE TO TAKE ON THAT SET. WTF IS THIS TEAM DOING ARMING B WHEN WE JUST SHOWED YOU COULDN'T TAKE A AFTER B. ASDFJDSALFJDASLKFJDASLLGJADKFJALSDJFLASJFDASLFADJL*bangs head into keyboard* Fuckin' morons.

In addition to: Waypoetic, honey: The game type is Rush, you Rush the objectives. If this means having to drive your tank up to where the gunner (*COUGH*) can protect the crate he attempts to ARM FIVE DAMN TIMES WHILE YOU'RE MILES BACK, PLEASE DO IT. Keeping the tank alive is nice, but if we can't hold/supress their disarm attempts the tank is USELESS.

Dreamgazer said:
I don't know.
You are going to take forever if you expect to just level with the mav and surveilliance pin alone. I can easily have the mav up a whole round and it'll barely break 3000pts total if I'm lucky. I only pull up MAV to ensure guarantee wins.

It's easier to score point by playing with the t-ugs and flanking people (exploiting the t-ugs' ability to detect motions regards of terrain levels.)

You can do that with the MAV even more so. The range is considerably larger in 3D space for the motion sensor. I usually tend to "park" the MAV close to a choke point and then go in with a MP myself while placing the beacon closer to the objective.
As said before, score varies a lot by the performance of others. If you are on a killer team, you might end up with more points by having them kill everything while you just provide intelligence work.
On a slow team, you might have a better score by going on your own and killing people by yourself.

JJD

Sorry Hunting Beast, but I had to quit, I couldn't play anymore. We played the last 3 games with at least a 4 players disadvantage. We could have won every single one of then if the fuckin' randoms would help. It was just our squad against the other team.

Then on the last 15 tickets of Tehran 5 guys joined our team but it was too late, so we had 1 player advantage for the first time in 3 games. Then much to my surprise and anger as soon as Caspian began, 4 of your guys were on the other team, and the rest left, so we were with a 4, 5 guys disadvantage again. WTF team balancing Dice!!! Fuck you! Fuck you and this fucking feature!!!

I still wouldn't quit, but then after being gang banged trying to hold A alone I spawned at our base just to see a Lvl. 45 plus 5 stars (Lvl. 50?) sniping at A from 400 miles away and I couldn't take it anymore...

JJD

Noisepurge said:

I already have all the ribbons but I'll gladly help anyone that needs a specific one!

TheSeks

JJD said:
I already have all the ribbons but I'll gladly help anyone that needs a specific one!

Sit and arm. Let me count to one and blow you away. Four times.

And then sit still and let me kill you once more. Then five more times after you kill me.

I like Grand Bazaar for the most part but man, flag B sucks. We were ahead but lost pretty quickly trying to Cap B. And there's always someone behind that trash can in that little back area. D: It's still one of my fav. CQ maps though.

Evolved1

:raises fist:

good games bros.

Dreamgazer said:
You're offensive but closer to well rounded depending on who is in the squad. When more people in your squad is closer to well rounded then you go for the "how should I troll people today" style of play (similar to faceless).

Farlanghn is well rounded , possibly because he loves flanking people for knife kills.
Mike is offensive.
Meppi is obviously offensive
evolved is defensive
ejas is well rounded but goes offensive when game is favoring gaf (often times).
I'm a defensive asshole.
JJSD is more offensive
Seks goes with the mood of the team.
Olimpia is well rounded on conquest, a bit more defensive on rush.

In BC2 I played more defensively... seems like that is less the case in BF3. I'd say I'm more all purpose player now, trying to go with the flow of the match.

My BF3 pins and stats would indicate I'm offensive (which is often true) but I do keep mindful of defense much of the time.

JJD

TheSeks said:
Sit and arm. Let me count to one and blow you away. Four times.

And then sit still and let me kill you once more. Then five more times after you kill me.

I was talking about the GAF game, but if there's no way you'll managed to get all the ribbons by yourself I'll help you if I can. Actually I was trying to help when I explained how I got then...

Evolved1

JJD said:
I was talking about the GAF game, but if there's no way you'll managed to get all the ribbons alone I'll help you if I can, actually I was trying to help when I explained how I got then...

All pins will probably come eventually through regular play... unless someone is dead set on wrapping up the game straightaway and moving on to something else, I don't see the point fretting about pins and trying so hard to grind them out.

Just play... at some point you'll have that one hectic match where you hold down the COMS like a boss and your pin will pop. All in good time.

Completely forgot about the Community thread :/ I plan on playing for the majority of the weekend. Who wants to play with the guy who was ranked #1 on the 360 leaderboards before all the boosters appeared? :p

Feel free to send a friend request
GT: OdysseusVA

-Silver-

JJD said:
Sorry Hunting Beast, but I had to quit, I couldn't play anymore. We played the last 3 games with at least a 4 players disadvantage. We could have won every single one of then if the fuckin' randoms would help. It was just our squad against the other team.
It's fine, I think it's more to do with the fact that they were well organised. I joined MarvelAssassin and Dave, and Jesus fucking Christ, the shotguns can kill you from a good distant. Someone was using the USAS12 from inside a building and I was wondering, from the sound, WTF is a LAV doing inside a building.

Yea there was some guy when we were playing Seine Crossing who kept killing me from a building pretty far away. I decided to switch to the 870MCS, only shotgun I have atm, and had a really nice streak going. I think I'm gonna start using shotguns more often especially is close quarters maps.

rdrr gnr

If anyone decides to do the trophy lobby, I'd like to get my defender ribbon.

I haven't even attempted to get it yet, but the idea of getting it without wanting to smash my controller is an enticing notion.

I could, in theory, get on tonight but it would be very late. 10-12 PM PST.

Evolved1

MuseManMike said:
If anyone decides to do the trophy lobby, I'd like to get my defender ribbon.

I haven't even attempted to get it yet, but the idea of getting it without wanting to smash my controller is an enticing notion.

I could, in theory, get on tonight but it would be very late. 10-12 PM PST.

Try squad rush and just camp the crate on defense... I'm not going to go out of my way chasing ribbons. But if I was going to, that's what I'd try.

olimpia84

Good games tonight. Started playing Rush and then moved to Conquest. I don't think I lost one single game throughout the whole night (very close on losing one Rush on Kargh Island...boiled down to the last ticket!)

I'll be on later tonight if anybody wants to play.

Do the shotguns seem a little inconsistent to anybody else? I will shoot a guy twice point blank in the chest and he will walk away with 60% but other times I easily kill with one shot.

Evolved1

olimpia84 said:
Good games tonight. Started playing Rush and then moved to Conquest. I don't think I lost one single game throughout the whole night (very close on losing one Rush on Kargh Island...boiled down to the last ticket!)

I'll be on later tonight if anybody wants to play.

I joined you in that Kharg match... came in on second to last set (that one came down to the wire too). On the last set, I was able to get the plant with one ticket left -- and went through 3 defenders to do it! But I got killed and thankfully you and another gaffer were there to hold it down for the win!

Such a fun game. i_shoot_to_kill (not sure who this is on gaf) was pretty sick in the gunner seat of the chopper... and also just in general, really strong player. The three of us were rolling then we got a couple more gaffers... those were fun games. :)

I want to play more but I have an exam in the morning. :(

timmytheman123 said:
Do the shotguns seem a little inconsistent to anybody else? I will shoot a guy twice point blank in the chest and he will walk away with 60% but other times I easily kill with one shot.

It feels like there is lag sometimes. I'll shoot a guy and feel like i have to shoot him again but then he's already dead.

JJD

I hate the Battlelog. I was having an amazing game on Metro with Trizzy Marce_PY and the other SOD guys, K/D 20 something/04, captured a lot of flags, I was getting the MVP ribbon for sure, when my fucking game disconnected...

Now not only I don't know if the points and unlocks of that match were valid, but the Battlelog registered the game as a loss, and we won that game...

The only certainty I have is that my quit percentage went up after that disconnect...sigh...

Edit: I confirmed that nothing I did on that round is valid. I had reached lvl. 36 in the end of the previous game, and now I only have 40 points on this level...I think I could have scored easily 10.000 plus on that round. Fuck EA servers.

Marvie_3

Banned
timmytheman123 said:
Happens to me too.

TheSeks

Calion82v said:
I've hardly had time to play, and wanted to atleast get my M416. Besides, we we're tearing it up. :p

Yeah, until that last defense before you bailed. I'm literally begging for ammo from you to fill my RPG-7 to hit the building to collapse it against a sniper. I'm literally sitting there going "AMMO! AMMO! DEAR GOD ONE OF YOU! AMMO!"

The Javalin (which I used against the tank) only holds TWO(!) rounds, 4 if you have (Squad) Explosion perks enabled. But it still isn't enough. Between laying out 4 rounds (disables at 2 Javalin shots), laying out AT mines. I needed the AMMO to continue to use the Javalin. And I literally ran out of rockets EVERY LIFE. It was so annoying.

I'm going to protip this bit because I know it's a bug right now:

Protip: SUPPORT ICON ON THE SPAWN SCREEN DOES NOT EQUAL SUPPORT 9/10 OF THE TIME

Please check the loadout the person has on spawn screen. Are they bulky? They may be a medic. Are they carrying a Mortar? They're actually support! You can then spawn Medic!

Also: You missed us winning that game. I did sit around on the MAV but someone finally saw me spotting on the mini-map and clicked with it. We get to B, there's like four dudes inside. I mark them. The team sort-of wipes them out. I'm thinking "it's over, because they don't notice my marks all the time." All of a sudden they come around from the back and front (dunno how they spawned like that) and cleared the area out. Take B. Hold it, while I'm marking people for them to shoot. Win game.

timmytheman123 said:
i'm guessing the spread is completely random again like BC2.

Bruiserk

Dreamgazer said:
You're offensive but closer to well rounded depending on who is in the squad. When more people in your squad is closer to well rounded then you go for the "how should I troll people today" style of play (similar to faceless).

Farlanghn is well rounded , possibly because he loves flanking people for knife kills.
Mike is offensive.
Meppi is obviously offensive
evolved is defensive
ejas is well rounded but goes offensive when game is favoring gaf (often times).
I'm a defensive asshole.
JJSD is more offensive
Seks goes with the mood of the team.
Olimpia is well rounded on conquest, a bit more defensive on rush.

BUT WHAT AM I

Evolved1 said:
All pins will probably come eventually through regular play...

True, it's not like this one has that really annoying knifing trophy that BFBC2 had.

But getting that Nemesis ribbon might take a serious while/streak of luck.

rdrr gnr

I'm getting pretty tired of empty lobbies. WTF am I expected to do? DICE makes it as inconvenient as possible to switch lobbies, and even then, those are not guaranteed to be full.
Noisepurge said:
True, it's not like this one has that really annoying knifing trophy that BFBC2 had.

But getting that Nemesis ribbon might take a serious while/streak of luck.
How do you get a Nemesis ribbon?

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Speaking of Ribbons/Medals, I have no idea how I'll get the Melee Medal. I only have two melee ribbons and I'm already at Rank 47. :(

Same with the other medals for Recon, etc.

On the other hand, the game is so friggin' good...to the point that I want to play other MP games, but whenever I sit down, the BF3 disc beckons me like a sultry temptress! Good thing I have lube next to it! Anyhoo...only thing that bothers me are the bugs and the asshats. I hate the asshats.

DICE should really include a mini tutorial for BC3 or BF4. Include an Achievement or Trophy with it so that newbs will be sure to watch it.

What are your major gripes so far. console peeps?

eek5

MuseManMike said:
I'm getting pretty tired of empty lobbies. WTF am I expected to do? DICE makes it as inconvenient as possible to switch lobbies, and even then, those are not guaranteed to be full.

How do you get a Nemesis ribbon?
I don't think I've played in a full server in the last week. :/

excaliburps said:
What are your major gripes so far. console peeps?

-Weapon balance is awful
-jets don't really influence the game; they just play in their own little world. they should just have a jets/tanks mode instead.
-Servers emptying out and never refilling
-Squad management is awful
-Blue/green flashes almost every match
-VOIP not working. Not only in squad but sometimes random people can bust into private squad and play their shit music and there is no way to mute them which is stupid
-Still can't reliably vault over a lot of obstacles (seriously it shouldn't take 10 tries to get over something). I get stuck on debris and objects so often.. it's probably my biggest gripe
-IR scope is way overpowered. flashlights not overpowered but super annoying on teammates
-"request ammo" isn't effective since no one notices
-unlocks/level up text is really obnoxious
-random hangups/freezes
-still not a fan of the aiming. I know people have claimed that they fixed it server side but it's just not true. It's more likely that they got used to it; I got used to it really fast but I still don't like it. Turning for me is really clunky at my sensitivity
-if I spawn with squad ammo I don't always get the bonus for myself. not sure what that's all about but it is pretty annoying

Top Bottom