• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I still need 20 squad spawns, 10K2 kills, and like all the impossible to get awards for my Platinum. >_>

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dreamgazer said:
Wait till the co-op nerf man. Might not be worth it right now.
CoOp nerf? Which thing needs to be nerfed? The difficulty?

TheSeks

Fersis said:
CoOp nerf? Which thing needs to be nerfed? The difficulty?

Not really (outside of Mission 3 Hard), just the stupid no alerts.

The point unlocks are fine, you can get them in about 3-5 playthroughs depending on which difficulties you're playing on.

When Frederik Thylander said co-op was "getting nerfed", I think he actually meant that the exploit on Eleventh Hour was getting nerfed. I think he misunderstood the original question that he was asked.

TheSeks

endlessflood said:
When Frederik Thylander said co-op was "getting nerfed", I think he actually meant that the exploit on Eleventh Hour was getting nerfed. I think he misunderstood the original question that he was asked.

What exploit? The points exploit?

Daigoro

got the Melee and Sniper Rifle ribbons today. only Spot Assist ribbon left and then i have them all!

started playing Recon for the first time. actually getting the sniper rifle ribbon was easy. i got it on the first game i played (CQ on Davamand). but getting points with Recon to unlock the MAV was not so easy.

i have a feeling that when i unlock the MAV and get this last ribbon im not going to be playing Recon much anymore unless i get bored or a specific game type calls for the T-UGS or something. not a very exciting class to play as.

olimpia84

This game was also insane. I disabled/shot down at least 8 choppers! They were all so pissed locking with heat seekers at me all the time but I was "feeling" the T90 pretty well and took them down like there was no tomorrow. I should have gotten the MVP 1,2, and 3 for that match! Useless randoms...

CatPee

A27 Tawpgun said:
mmm, good Jet run today. At least the damn Rush Jets can do things. Conquest Jets are still a gimmick.

Yea, jets in Rush are excellent for destroying armor/jeeps before they even get anywhere near the base if the pilot's proficient with the machine gun.

Marvie_3

Banned
9r5emq.jpg

I'm happy to know I never have to play crap like Squad Rush/Deathmatch again.

F*** this shit.
Oh hey team, you guys can all go hold down B or whatever, and me and brui can go fucking capture the flags all by ourselves.

@#$#%. Then there was capsin, oh everyone need to be in fucking choppers and jet all day. Like Jet capture flags F***

---------------
Mike: Thanks for all the assists, but it's better to use the t-ugs on tight urban maps. Also it's sort of giving away positions when you hover too close to friendlies. It's best to manually spot non-important enemies if you can. (but really t-ugs is best for crossing, cap flag, go.)

Also: unless it's rush, I normally don't put the mav up unless I know we have most flags.

MuseManMike said:

We could have won, but everyone and their mother decided it was better to camp inside B and "oh hey we can't let enemies take this place".

Then A C D get taken out.
and then I go cap it all by myself.

It wasn't even like the other team was mad good...

Edit: Did I miss the fucking memo to not go for flags today or something.
*que sekoku I can't.gif

MuseManMike said:
My question is, where the fuck are any of these supposed changes? So much needs goddamn fixing.

Most likely a big patch will be rolled out when Back to Karkand hits, i doubt they will start to do incremental patches before that. Anything that needs downloading that is, they have done some serverside stuff already though.

Oh and thanks Dave for winning this SDM round :D shit got intense during the last minutes!
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/6558043/4/174628262/

rdrr gnr

Shoutout to just a ton of GAFfers (Dream, Mini, Bruiserk, Renderman and many more) that I played with tonight. Went downhill for a little bit after that devastating Seine Crossing game, but it picked right back up.

Few thoughts:
  • DAT COLONEL
  • DAT USAS (Olimipia wasn't kidding) it's quickly becoming my favorite gun and is by far the best shotgun (DAO-12 is 2nd). It's absolutely deadly at close range, and viable at close-mid range if you get the jump on the enemy. Rock extended mag and the ammo of your choice (regular buck is still the best). For those that need the suppression ribbon, or would simply like to troll people, equip the frag round with extended mag, then equip squad suppression and just spam that shotgun in CQC/Infantry maps.
  • A-91 is still the best engineer gun, but the G36c is incredibly fun when on a good connection.
  • Recon is still terrible (Bruiserk was able to finish a class and half in the time it took me to unlock the M40) but since I have the USAS, it is a lot more fun.

Rant:

I know this meta-strategy is difficult to implement when in a game, and obviously it differs in play style, but I've found time and time again (not in a steamroll situation) it's always better to have a majority cap vs. a total cap in Conquest. Again, if it's a GAF stack, this doesn't apply. People aren't smart, they don't know how to prioritize objectives and they don't know how the tickets work in Conquest. One thing they do know, however, is which flags they are allowed to spawn on. Having a limited (at least even) number of flags funnels idiots towards the objective that need capping, while allowing them to act like canon fodder and buy time before their respective flag gets taken. This also removes the annoying trade-off type games, in which, one flag capture is traded with another flag loss. Especially on maps like Damavand and Caspian where flags are always being traded. Pick the flags that make the most sense and keep them; set up defenses and anticipate incoming attackers. This also increases air vehicle efficacy with a good pilot. If we have A and B on Caspian with a good pilot/gunner -- it spells bad news for any enemies spawning at C. This entire strategy is contingent on there being competent "offensive" players that will out kill and die less in comparison to the other team.

Pro-tip: Hesitant spawning. If a game comes down to the wire and the opposing team is still capable of taking a vital flag, hold off on spawning and check to see which objective begins to blink and then immediately spawn there and clear out the enemies. Obviously, this is when a perceived "safe" flag is being contested. I'd say a good 30 seconds of waiting before choosing which other objective makes the most sense is a smart move.

rdrr gnr

Dreamgazer said:
---------------
Mike: Thanks for all the assists, but it's better to use the t-ugs on tight urban maps. Also it's sort of giving away positions when you hover too close to friendlies. It's best to manually spot non-important enemies if you can. (but really t-ugs is best for crossing, cap flag, go.)

Also: unless it's rush, I normally don't put the mav up unless I know we have most flags.
No.

The MAV makes the most sense, in many cases, in tight urban maps (Bazaar, Crossing, not Metro for the obvious reasons). In some cases, I got 5 spot ribbons per game on those maps.

Here is my reasoning:
  • T-UGS get consistently destroyed one way or another because they are not actively attended to. Range is smaller, and one has to actively be there to place a T-UGS.
  • Urban maps funnel players through choke points, thus minimizing routes and maximizing hotspots. A well placed MAV active/stationary is a benefit to the team. There were points in which I had 5-6 players spotted at once on Seine.
  • Urban maps have windows and buildings out of the line-of-sight in which a good pilot can place the MAV with game-changing consequences. (There are broken windows above A and D on Seine that no one can get in or destroyed the MAV in. Same goes for Bazaar.)
  • I sometimes cap a flag, sit in the safest building, and hover around the flag until enemies come in and attempt to cap. I'll drop the MAV and since I know where they are sitting, I can run in and clear them out. I've been able to do this successfully game after game.
  • Even though I may be spotted, I don't necessarily get taken down. If I continually am unsuccessful, I'll switch kits and move one. In fact, I'll often fly the MAV in front of tanks to distract while a teammate places C4.
  • There is a method to my madness. Since the situation with VoIP, I'm always on Skype with Bruiserk and thus the MAV has even more value when communicating.
  • And most importantly: I can't humiliate people with a T-UGS roadkill.
    Not really, but really.

I sometimes even with use the MAV as a replacement for the T-UGS. I'll simply pull it out and leave it on the ground there. The T-UGS doesn't give you that ribbon either and I'd like to level up.

Daigoro

T-UGS is such a piece of shit compared to the motion sensors of BC2. you only get 1 and you have to pick it up and take it with you when you move? gee thanks!

it sucks how bad the Recon class was nerfed in BF3.

Daigoro said:
T-UGS is such a piece of shit compared to the motion sensors of BC2. you only get 1 and you have to pick it up and take it with you when you move? gee thanks!

i dunno, it being able to last forever unless destroyed is pretty awesome from a defensive standpoint.

MuseManMike said:
Shoutout to just a ton of GAFfers (Dream, Mini, Bruiserk, Renderman and many more) that I played with tonight. Went downhill for a little bit after that devastating Seine Crossing game, but it picked right back up.

Rant:

I know this meta-strategy is difficult to implement when in a game, and obviously it differs in play style, but I've found time and time again (not in a steamroll situation) it's always better to have a majority cap vs. a total cap in Conquest. Again, if it's a GAF stack, this doesn't apply. People aren't smart, they don't know how to prioritize objectives and they don't know how the tickets work in Conquest. One thing they do know, however, is which flags they are allowed to spawn on. Having a limited (at least even) number of flags funnels idiots towards the objective that need capping, while allowing them to act like canon fodder and buy time before their respective flag gets taken. This also removes the annoying trade-off type games, in which, one flag capture is traded with another flag loss. Especially on maps like Damavand and Caspian where flags are always being traded. Pick the flags that make the most sense and keep them; set up defenses and anticipate incoming attackers. This also increases air vehicle efficacy with a good pilot. If we have A and B on Caspian with a good pilot/gunner -- it spells bad news for any enemies spawning at C. This entire strategy is contingent on there being competent "offensive" players that will out kill and die less in comparison to the other team.

Pro-tip: Hesitant spawning. If a game comes down to the wire and the opposing team is still capable of taking a vital flag, hold off on spawning and check to see which objective begins to blink and then immediately spawn there and clear out the enemies. Obviously, this is when a perceived "safe" flag is being contested. I'd say a good 30 seconds of waiting before choosing which other objective makes the most sense is a smart move.

Partial Flag capture > total flag capture has always been the optimal strategy since bc2. Nothing we can do about certain player's play style.

However, I can't agree the A & B on Capsin part, simply based on what you said - you're hoping that people will out kill. We ended on seine with more tickets, but 1 flag - needing to rely on being capable of out killing. That left us with a lost.

MuseManMike said:
No.

The MAV makes the most sense, in many cases, in tight urban maps (Bazaar, Crossing, not Metro for the obvious reasons). In some cases, I got 5 spot ribbons per game on those maps.

Here is my reasoning:
  • T-UGS get consistently destroyed one way or another because they are not actively attended to. Range is smaller, and one has to actively be there to place a T-UGS.
  • Urban maps funnel players through choke points, thus minimizing routes and maximizing hotspots. A well placed MAV active/stationary is a benefit to the team. There were points in which I had 5-6 players spotted at once on Seine.
  • Urban maps have windows and buildings out of the line-of-sight in which a good pilot can place the MAV with game-changing consequences. (There are broken windows above A and D on Seine that no one can get in or destroyed the MAV in. Same goes for Bazaar.)
  • I sometimes cap a flag, sit in the safest building, and hover around the flag until enemies come in and attempt to cap. I'll drop the MAV and since I know where they are sitting, I can run in and clear them out. I've been able to do this successfully game after game.
  • Even though I may be spotted, I don't necessarily get taken down. If I continually am unsuccessful, I'll switch kits and move one. In fact, I'll often fly the MAV in front of tanks to distract while a teammate places C4.
  • There is a method to my madness. Since the situation with VoIP, I'm always on Skype with Bruiserk and thus the MAV has even more value when communicating.
  • And most importantly: I can't humiliate people with a T-UGS roadkill.

I sometimes even with use the MAV as a replacement for the T-UGS. I'll simply pull it out and leave it on the ground there. The T-UGS doesn't give you that ribbon either and I'd like to level up.

I'm going to disagree.
However, I understand your main purpose is to level up the recon class as soon as possible.

Here's my reasoning:
1)When you're piloting a mav, especially within the spawn, you're eliminating one additional active player/spawn point for the squad. On crossing for example, I couldn't spawn on you(as you were in spawn.), and Brui wasn't leaving the building of B.
If most of the flags were capped, it wouldn't be much of a problem. When it's not - having more hands for capping is more important. Similar situation occurred in Capsin, when we were losing all flags, Brui was in a chopper and you were not an optimal spawn (similar to what I did to Seks by leaving him all alone to defend on an all offensive team in rush.)

2)The MAV have a certain degree of mobility issue in the sense that once you set it down, you can't easily move it away without getting into static mode to fly the thing. If you're willing to actively participate in the flag capturing process, it's not like you're going to waste the time to move the mav from B to A while risking getting knifed. (bazaar being the only exception.) The T-ugs is more effective in that sense that I can just pick it up and move on to the next flag.

3) I feel your 1st, 2nd, 4th point are kinda moot. However, that may be because I know where to place t-ugs so that they're properly concealed. The range of the t-ugs is not that crappy to the point where it can't decently cover a choke point.

The 6th and 7th point are personal benefits things. That...well..I don't really care (or see much benefit to the squad/team as whole), but that's just me.

The only thing I can agree with you is more points on spot ribbons, but I still think actively capturing flags with the t-ugs would benefit more in the points department (granted won't give you the recon points you want.)

4)As I've said before, the use of MAV is very situational/team-flow based.
When you were flying around crossing exteriors. I appreciate the added kills, but it was obvious that most of teams were not paying attention to you or + actively sticking in B (for who knows why.) + I'm obviously not going to be able to cap flags alone with a tank around. Wouldn't you agree that being active with the t-ugs is better? Same on capsin when we were losing almost all of the flags. These sort of minor things don't matter as much in large maps, since it's less likely for the opponents to corner us to a flag unless we really really really suck (crossing was a really undeserving loss.)

Again, for many of the above reason, I run t-ugs when flags needs to be capture and the mav when I'm pretty sure we got everything settled.

Also, I know many will disagree with me. However I really don't think MAV spotting ribbon is the way to go with leveling recon. *name bleeped* been trying to level recon with mav spot ribbons alone and have wasted much more game time than I have while still not having a service star for the class >.> Flanking is the way to go (yeah yeah pdw underpowered)

TheSeks

What the hell went on in here since I went to bed after watching TV? (I also missed the Walking Dead + Burn Notice this week. FUCKING BATTLEFIELD 3! *shakes fist*)

olimpia84 said:
This game was also insane. I disabled/shot down at least 8 choppers! They were all so pissed locking with heat seekers at me all the time but I was "feeling" the T90 pretty well and took them down like there was no tomorrow. I should have gotten the MVP 1,2, and 3 for that match! Useless randoms...

That one round on Karg when I played with you and Mihnt was pretty crazy. Minht was up in the air while I kept having to hop out and go prone near our tank while you took on helicopters and I prayed not to get killed in splash damage.

Daigoro said:
T-UGS is such a piece of shit compared to the motion sensors of BC2.

*sigh* I swear I need to keep this .gif saved for everytime this comes up:

2x06-Afternoon-Delight-Animated-gif-Michael-What-No-no-no-no-arrested-development-7915781-300-167.gif

No. It isn't. You can't toss it so that's a "nerf," granted. But if you get in the mind set of "prospecting" areas when it's safe the T-UGS (and the MAV when used properly) is DEADLY. I'm sorry you suck and can't wrap your head around it.

you only get 1 and you have to pick it up and take it with you when you move? gee thanks!

And? You have to do that with the SOFLAM, Mortar, EOD bot (okay, maybe not that one so much), Spawn Beacon when base is taken/move-up. ZOMG SUPPORT/ENGINEER SUCKS AS WELL AMIRITE?

Complain about the fact that (in Rush, anyway) your FUCKING EQUIPMENT THAT IS NO WHERE NEAR THE BASE IS DESTROYED IN THE PROCESS OF MOVE-UP. WTF is this shit, DICE? Granted you can
get new equipment if an ammo box is thrown
, but given GAF/Randoms tendency to not do that, you're basically "naked" without your kit items. Bitch about that.

Disgusted-Lucille-Eyeroll-Animated-gif-arrested-development-9465744-256-141.gif

Only shitty recons complain about the "recon nerf" in BF3. You have to take a more proactive approach to sniping/reconning. I'm sorry you suck at going around enemies, setting up a camp and spotting enemies while suppressing fire for your team to kill the enemy/move into a base while they're under suppressing fire. Or be on defense put a T-UGS near the crate/flag and have tons of spot assists come up when people FUCKING NOTICE THE MINI-MAP just like the UAV.

Mike said:

Scroll up to my eyeroll. Yes, it makes so much sense to have an MAV in hallways. Right. T-UGS is still the better option in hallways because you place it somewhere enemies won't be able to notice immediately and are able to keep tabs on them while pew-pewing. Meanwhile the MAV takes you "out of body"/lack of pew-pew that is NEEDED in places like B of Grand Bazaar.

Also :lol @ "spot ribbons" who the fuck gives a fuck about the ribbons when you should be focusing on the objectives and GAME?

I tend to toss the MAV on a balcony to provide some good coverage without exposure.

It is annoying that the TUGS disappears upon death though. Or maybe that's just a problem of mine since i tend to run blindly into enemy fire :D

TheSeks

Yes, they need to fix the T-UGS disappearing on respawn of recon. Same with the other kit items. They should disappear until redeploy.

And the T-UGS is still better than the MAV in general on those maps because you can place it near a corner, see if anyone is around/moving around. No one? Pick it up and move across. People there? PEW PEW them.

Meanwhile: UAV? "Out of body" WAIT SHIT THERE IS AN ENEMY THERE LET ME BACK OUT AN--OH WAIT I DIED BECAUSE I HAD TO MOVE THE UAV INSTEAD OF PROSPECTING. DAMN IT.

TheSeks

A27 Tawpgun said:
How reliable is the passive spotting/marking of the SOFLAM and MAV? They don't seem to do shit unless I do it for them.

SOFLAM seems to be "where it's looking and at range" and the range seems short. I've put a SOFLAM on the crane of Firestorm before and it doesn't seem as helpful as it does on the pipelines.

MAV is wherever it's parked/flying and only in the "minimap range" of it. I dunno how huge that range is but you really shouldn't be using the MAV for passive spotting.

jorma

is now taking requests
Best way to level recon i have found is to go full MAV control on Teheran Highway, at least for me. I can't reliably score better any other way (just below 3000 recon points/game). It's insane that the only good sniper rifle in the game is the last unlock. Recon really did get shafted.

edit: i only play rush

TheSeks said:
SOFLAM seems to be "where it's looking and at range" and the range seems short. I've put a SOFLAM on the crane of Firestorm before and it doesn't seem as helpful as it does on the pipelines.

MAV is wherever it's parked/flying and only in the "minimap range" of it. I dunno how huge that range is but you really shouldn't be using the MAV for passive spotting.

The MAV is a point granting whore on Maps like Seine Crossing. Put it in one of the empty windows in the appartement block above C-A or other hot spots and watch the points count in.

200 to 300 free points every 5 minutes? Yes thank you very much.

Hell even when actively piloting the map on big maps like Firestorm you can earn up to 1000 or 2000 points a mach without even doing anything else than just spotting (you need an active team thogh, not some people camping for the Jets) Tanks especially will turn insanely deadly when assisted by an active MAV hovering a good distance up in the air.

TheSeks

I'm not saying the MAV is useless. But in close-quarters maps... it kinda... uh... is. Conquest especially since most of the time you need active attackers/defenders and the MAV "out of body"s you to where you aren't an active attacker/defender and thus pointless to the team. Sure, spotting people as they come in is all well and good, but the T-UGS can do similar without needing to be controlled nearly 24/7 to be useful. Simply put it down, shoot people. Pick it up and move.

Tawpgun

I think rush jets and conquest jets should have been separate unlocks like the helicopters. They are far too different.

The Rush jets should have some splash damage on the main 30 mm monster of a gatling gun.

The Conquest Jets should have BUFFED UP air-to ground missles.

But I also had another idea, what if in Conquest there was a capture point in the air? That way it simulates air-superiority.

olimpia84

Getting points as a Recon isn't that bad. Sure, you don't get the easy points for throwing ammo boxes/reviving people but if you equip a PDW and go assault-like towards the objectives you'll rack up points fairly quick.

jorma

is now taking requests
olimpia84 said:
Getting points as a Recon isn't that bad. Sure, you don't get the easy points for throwing ammo boxes/reviving people but if you equip a PDW and go assault-like towards the objectives you'll rack up points fairly quick.

No extra "easy" points and having to use a much shittier gun is pretty bad in my book =)

Tawpgun

olimpia84 said:

"If you play assault as a recon you'll get more points."

Kind of dumb it has to come to that...

i agree about holding the majority of flags instead of trying to hold ALL the flags. you should have 1-2 people try to sneak around and back-cap while the *carefully* moving the rest of the team up slowly while engaging the enemy when attempting to cap all flags.

what really sucks about the recon is the pittance of points you get for spotting and motion sensor assists and how the MAV gets those pins the T-UGS doesn't. i should get self-SOFLAM points for assisting myself too.

olimpia84 said:

Yeah but this kind of proves the weakness of the class :/ why not just use the PDW on Assault class.

I mainly play Recon only if i have a proper squad and TUGS and MAV's are needed.

The Faceless Master said:
i dunno, it being able to last forever unless destroyed is pretty awesome from a defensive standpoint.

It is, put an tugs near an mcom and you'll never be caught of guard again!

I'm mad I slept on recon before, it's an awesome class, even the bolt actions. I think my 3rd highest kill count for a weapon belongs to the SV-98 with a 4x scope.

A27 Tawpgun said:
"If you play assault as a recon you'll get more points."

Kind of dumb it has to come to that...

what? Assault recons were the best thing in BC2.
Have you seen recons in BF2? They were meant to be played "assault" style". I still don't know why DICE made the decision to make recons = sniper class.

Also, for those of us who don't snipe, Assault recon is the fastest way for you to level up. Just using a mav alone will never get you much beyond 3000 points nor much mvp pins. Play the class right, go for objectives, flank and you'll be fine.. I was still able to maintaine a 350+ SPM despite playing the class the most.

*shoves his service star in people's face*

Although yes, it's dumb that the moment I switch away from the class I start loading in mvp1/2/3 ribbons

My problem with Recon is that I can't hit anything at long range anymore. I must be completely misreading the bullet drop and distance in this game because I just suck at sniping. Also wish body shots at close range were one hit kills. =/

Top Bottom