• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

olimpia84

Tonight's games reminded me why I try to stay away from Rush. You work your butt off to defend the crates, you're close to successfully defend and win on each set, and then you lose on the very last one. That Op Firestorm must have been like a 3 hour long Rush game....

Conquest matches hardly ever drag that long unless the other team quits entirely and you have to wait for tickets to bleed until zero.

Dr Prob

Banned
So my plan was to go through, get a service star on all the main guns, then go back around again etc. Just to keep things interesting. Then I got to the AS VAL.

Ladies and gentlemen of the Battlefield 3 Console topic: I now officially pronounce that the AS VAL is shitty, and has been dropped from my weird OCD gun leveling plan. Adjust your notes accordingly.

Apart from that shitty, shitty gun, fun night with randoms on the 360. First (these are Youtube links), this happened, and then I don't even know what was going on here.

As infuriating as this game can be, it's also fucking funny.

Jas

Sorry Rock and Faceless the game flaked out on me and wouldn't let me respawn, so I just called it a night.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I disagree. The only shitty thing with that gun is the clip size. Otherwise that gun kicks ass. I just started using it in the last few hours and I've been racking up kills with it pretty easily.

People are mixed on it. Some say it needs a buff. Some say "NO U it's high skill ceiling."

I haven't honestly used it since most of the starting guns are fine and I don't see the need to move to higher level unlocks. *shrug* Guess I should mess about with it tonight.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Tonight's games reminded me why I try to stay away from Rush. You work your butt off to defend the crates, you're close to successfully defend and win on each set, and then you lose on the very last one. That Op Firestorm must have been like a 3 hour long Rush game....

Conquest matches hardly ever drag that long unless the other team quits entirely and you have to wait for tickets to bleed until zero.

The reason I've switched to Conquest is because it removes all the annoyances of Rush... primarily, the pussies who wont leave their spawn on attack, or decide to go recon and snipe, dragging the game out for 10 mind-numbing hours. Things like that really hurt BC2, and they are prevalent in BF3.

In Conquest, the other team can go full retard w/ recon if they want, they're just gonna get punished for it. And whatever they decide to do, tickets are going to bleed either way, and matches won;t be needlessly long.

Also, BF3 rush maps suck dick, and they are just designed better for CQ. My only complaint about th maps from the CQ perspective is the grindy nature of infantry maps, which are very prevalent in the rotation. But even so, at least you only have to play it once! In Rush, I have to suffer through each of those infantry maps twice (attack/defend).

In BF3, CQ is just better. It'd be even better with about 5 more players on each side, but PS3 is old hardware...

olimpia84

good games everyone! i may have been whoring air vehicles a bit, but i wanted to get the IR Flare unlocks out of the way.

You did good on that Op Firestorm game, I think I saw you take down a tank with the jet. Surprisingly, the low leveled randoms in our team did a very good job too; they armed and disarmed MCOMs a bunch of times. It's just that the other team was a bit better since they were a little more aggressive and hard to contain but nevertheless I'm happy, out of 6 games against them we only lost one.

Also, BF3 rush maps suck dick, and they are just designed better for CQ. My only complaint about th maps from the CQ perspective is the grindy nature of infantry maps, which are very prevalent in the rotation. But even so, at least you only have to play it once! In Rush, I have to suffer through each of those infantry maps twice (attack/defend).

In BF3, CQ is just better. It'd be even better with about 5 more players on each side, but PS3 is old hardware...

Yeah, infantry is really boring but I did learn to love Op Metro. Whenever a OM game comes up I let everybody else in my team do the killing and I try to figure a way to sneak by B. It's really fun, almost like a stealth mission in a MP game :p

You did good on that Op Firestorm game, I think I saw you take down a tank with the jet. Surprisingly, the low leveled randoms in our team did a very good job too; they armed and disarmed MCOMs a bunch of times. It's just that the other team was a bit better since they were a little more aggressive and hard to contain but nevertheless I'm happy, out of 6 games against them we only lost one.
oh yeah, i totally rained down bullets on that tank and took him out.

Yeah, infantry is really boring but I did learn to love Op Metro. Whenever a OM game comes up I let everybody else in my team do the killing and I try to figure a way to sneak by B. It's really fun, almost like a stealth mission in a MP game :p
i just can't play Metro (Attack or CQ) without smoke!!@!@ i was whoring the M320GL on the infantry maps as soon as i unlocked it, but i was getting a lot of kill assists and only 7 kills.. including a double kill and a triple kill on Bazaar...

Dr Prob

Banned
I disagree. The only shitty thing with that gun is the clip size. Otherwise that gun kicks ass. I just started using it in the last few hours and I've been racking up kills with it pretty easily.

Decided to give it another go and now disagree with my past self as well.

Got the star and actually really enjoyed using it this time. That thing is deadly from a distance and when you can manage your shots. Close quarters is still a little tricky for me though. Reminded of the Uzi from BC2: "Can I get, just like...four more bullets, man? Not fifty. Nothing crazy. Maybe five. Seven..."

Marvie_3

Banned
Decided to give it another go and now disagree with my past self as well.

Got the star and actually really enjoyed using it this time. That thing is deadly from a distance and when you can manage your shots. Close quarters is still a little tricky for me though. Reminded of the Uzi from BC2: "Can I get, just like...four more bullets, man? Not fifty. Nothing crazy. Maybe five. Seven..."

Same here. I'd run up on a couple guys, kill one, get the other one to <25% health, then get killed before I could get my pistol going. :lol

TheSeks

Holy shit! Did you guys really took only 9 minutes to win that game???

It's completely possible. IIRC, Faceless was in the Cheesemobile, which makes it possible for defense to shut down EVERYTHING and quickly win if they keep someone in the cheesemobile that's able to take down anything coming off the ship.

senador

Banned
Dammit, meant to add to post above. Sorry.

Yes it is nearly 100% useless when you're playing with randoms. Most people don't use JAV or Stingers and/or have no idea what the diamond with a dot in the middle of it on their 3d hud is.

No, you can arc the Javelin yourself. Just lock on then aim wherever you want and fire and it'll arc back towards your lock.

Ah gotcha. My Engineer buddies thought they had to enable it or something. Silly friends.

You sure about this? I'm pretty sure it is the SOFLAM that is responsible as we tested it out tonight. I locked on to tanks, friends fired Javelin straight at it and it arced itself...

The SOFLAM is actually pretty awesome when playing with a team but you get so poorly rewarded for it. I played a few rounds as Recon and only got 500-800 points a round, granted I'm not good at Recon and only get a few kills while sniping. The next round back as Assault I got 6000+ though. :/

Kak.efes

Is there a way to exit a game when the round, or match ends? As it is, I have to wait until the new map loads to quit. This is probably something I should have asked when the game originally came out. (PS3 version)

Also, a lot of people seem to be complaining about randoms, but all I do is play in randoms, and my W/L, and K/D is 2.0. i'd like to think that's pretty decent considering how awful some players are. Plus, it's a challenge.

rdrr gnr

Purely selfish reasons: Backlog + Finals.

If Karkand makes up for BF3's shortcomings, I'd love to dedicate a substantial portion of time to it.
Is there a way to exit a game when the round, or match ends? As it is, I have to wait until the new map loads to quit. This is probably something I should have asked when the game originally came out. (PS3 version)

Also, a lot of people seem to be complaining about randoms, but all I do is play in randoms, and my W/L, and K/D is 2.0. i'd like to think that's pretty decent considering how awful some players are. Plus, it's a challenge.
No there isn't. DICE allocated their time to more important tasks like harnessing the power of the sun in flashlight form.

Those stats are good. I had something similar in BC2 and I played with one maybe two other people on average when playing.

UFRA

I don't even.

lol What happened to our team?

So we held them off to like what - 4 tickets on the first set of MCOMs, then they manage to somehow get the last one. Then within less than 2 minutes they clear out 2 more sets of MCOMs and are down to the last one.

Then our team got the hint and we hold them off down to 0 tickets and they arm the last one and win!!??

I am pissed, I was being shot at while the dude was arming the last MCOM and I couldn't shoot him. It could have ended right there...

lol What happened to our team?

So we held them off to like what - 4 tickets on the first set of MCOMs, then they manage to somehow get the last one. Then within less than 2 minutes they clear out 2 more sets of MCOMs and are down to the last one.

Then our team got the hint and we hold them off down to 0 tickets and they arm the last one and win!!??

I am pissed, I was being shot at while the dude was arming the last MCOM and I couldn't shoot him. It could have ended right there...

Where you and faceless on the 2nd set?
I swear I was the only one defending. Everyone was up in frontlines nowhere doing nothing (oh kills, right). Faceless didn't "reverse in" to the base till we only had that last mcom left on the 3rd base (for awhile I thought he crashed/afk or something) *sigh*

I was hoping you would put a t-ugs down when I had to play support to c4 the m-com

god I hate being the only defensive type player.

UFRA

Everyone was up in frontlines nowhere doing nothing (oh kills, right). god I hate being the only defensive type player.

Ever since the point where we lost the first set of MCOMs I was camping the MCOM sites religiously, but easily got overrun since it was basically just you and me against a whole team of people rushing.

?

I was doing just fine as an Assault/Medic on defense. I got 20+ kills and was guarding the MCOMs the best I could, practically by myself it felt like sometimes.

Yeah but on the later half when we had only one m-com left it sort of became a bad choice.

At least spawn as recon a bit, put down a motion sensor, die and then go back to assault.

Also so many useless, but annoying, MAV pilots now.

TheSeks

god I hate being the only defensive type player.

But... I...

>>Playing with GAF outside of Dream, JM, Calion, and Faceless<<

Oh. Right.

9a92x0rtu7w.gif

You should've came over to TDM or joined me and Scorch on Rush. We nearly had Metro and I had a train of randoms coming with me to last set B (after we worked our asses off and nearly failed at third set B). LOL PSYCHE! LET'S TAKE A!

So what happens? Yep, enemy team digs into B (and they dug into A as well, but we had a ticket advantage of at least 100 and I wanted those tickets and team train to roll into B, speed take it and then worry about A) and we lose.

SMH.

TheSeks

but you weren't there.

Because Faceless' game was full.
Noticed Olimpia was playing with him in the same room as well, went "Oh, boy, I'm sure most of GAF that plays Conquest 24/7 is there as well and probably can't defend."
Went to play by myself, Scorch joined and we won like 3-4 of the games.

I'd play with Faceless if he didn't get on at random times and fill up a server when I notice he's on. :/

Also highlight of today is getting like 3-5 friend requests from people/out-of-US people like this dude for being MVP1-3 on some games. That dude even sent me a "good game" message for me being MVP on our team on Seine Crossing Rush attack and I was the only one packing Smoke (until the rest of the team caught on and seemed to smoke while I died a bunch of times attempting to arm). Which also was used to speed cap B first set Grand Bazaar after the enemy failed to dig me out with a PKP from there. (They took A after a bit of resistance from our team. Scorch stuck with me. I went out to the chokepoint a few times to take them out and we sped bled them) So, anyway, attack. Smoke the hallway where they can come in from B that isn't the main road (the buildings), take out one-two dudes in B. Arm it and we hold it there with the rest of the team. Take it in like two minutes. Crushed the enemy morale as I smoke the road go across, arm A and hold it while the rest of the team was doing whatever the fuck.

I don't even. Seriously.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/9453319/4/188837097/

Where were you for the entire 2nd set faceless? Were you spawn camping? Was my mic off that no one can hear me? Why are you spawning as an assault on defense jm?

*Sigh*

the entire 2nd set? i spent that entire 2 minutes trying to get back to our base in the tank, but enemies were shooting RPG's at me so i had to shoot back and repair and stuff... and then after i killed them and moved up, they somehow managed to quick arm the mcom in the shipping container area... i was like "wtf!?"

3rd set i was just camped behind the warehouse killing anything i saw get near the mcom. i can't believe the team couldn't disarm with 0 tickets left, smh...

eek5

You sure about this? I'm pretty sure it is the SOFLAM that is responsible as we tested it out tonight. I locked on to tanks, friends fired Javelin straight at it and it arced itself...

Yup, I do it all the time. The thing is, without SOFLAM you pretty much need line of sight to lock on so firing in arcs isn't always the best option. Get your lock then flick the stick up or to the side and fire and it'll come back to your target.

Vard

That guy in our squad also sent me the same 'good game' message and friend requested me, haha. I wasn't sure if he was a GAFfer I just hadn't played with yet; I didn't think he was because he wasn't setting squad orders!

That Metro match lasted forever and it sucks we lost it right at the end, especially when we were steamrolling in every other match we played. Ah well, it was a good session overall.

and i don't even have the SOFLAM yet!

this game was hilarious, they got to 2nd set, but i had mines everywhere already, and i circled around and got in the 2nd tank on their landing craft and kept destroying people who got in the 1st tank. then people started to try and take out the tank by going in the water and shooting RPG's at the back, etc... and they actually did destroy the tank 3x, but i wasn't in it, and i would circle, kill and get in when it respawned... did this for like 5+ minutes!

i like how i got the emplacement ribbon without trying, but i tried several times to get the suppression ribbon and failed.

I'd play with Faceless if he didn't get on at random times and fill up a server when I notice he's on. :/
BF time is anytime!

>He plays on the X-box 360!
> laughinggirls.jpg

Faceless does. But he needs to come back to the PS3 fulltime

i'll be playing quite a bit on PS3 until i get all the class service star 1 and hit rank 45

TheSeks

That Metro match lasted forever and it sucks we lost it right at the end, especially when we were steamrolling in every other match we played. Ah well, it was a good session overall.

What pisses me off is that EVERYONE WAS FOLLOWING ME. Like literally I was holding a US attack flag and rushing their line a la the Patriot. Me and some other dude get killed going down the on-ramp to B and I suddenly notice NO ONE is following me. WTF? We had the strength in numbers and people were medic and reviving (at random times...), WTF we could've taken that. :/

Tawpgun

Is there a secret to the engineer guns?

I can destroy people with assault rifles, LMG's are stupid easy, my favorite guns are the Semi-auto snipers with 4x sights...

But I feel like the Engie SMG's are the most useless, underpowered guns in the game. It feels like it takes a clip and a half to kill someone. And yes I burst fire/manage recoil etc. etc.

CatPee

I can destroy people with assault rifles, LMG's are stupid easy, my favorite guns are the Semi-auto snipers with 4x sights...

But I feel like the Engie SMG's are the most useless, underpowered guns in the game. It feels like it takes a clip and a half to kill someone. And yes I burst fire/manage recoil etc. etc.

The M4s are honestly the best Engineer guns. Contrary to most others, I think the A-91 is the shittiest Engineer gun. However, it also seems to be the ONLY one of them that actually works as intended. It's far better than the rest of the Engineer guns for close range, but the rest are far better than it at longer ranges, But, in a game like BF, range is pretty much necessary and I find the M4s to be particularly excellent for everything.

Soma

Well from personal experience: Don't bother with long distance targets unless you really have to (i don't think carbines aren't really meant for long distance shit but you can still try if you like) and don't be afraid to hip-fire at close range. Ironically I have the worst time with the semi-auto rifles so it could just be a preference thing. There's always switching to single fire mode as well so maybe that'll help.

That being said, I honestly just don't like the Scar-H for some reason. It does the most damage and all but I just don't get as much good results with it as much as I do with the A-91 or the G36C. Even the AK-74U is more preferable to me.

but this is all from personal experience/preferences so my thoughts aren't necessarily the same as most.

there's always shotguns and pdws too :V

ace3skoot

I played a few rounds as Recon and only got 500-800 points a round, granted I'm not good at Recon and only get a few kills while sniping. The next round back as Assault I got 6000+ though. :/

yeah i can't snipe for crap, i just use PDW's on recon, they play fair similar to the engineers carbines, all be it with even less range, pp2000 extened mags has a 41 round clips, so you can compansate accuracy with quantity at range, and good if you have support buddy to keep you ammo stock high.

UFRA

Speaking of the M4...why is there 2 of them in the Engineer class?

The "M4" and the "M4A1" and I can't tell the difference between them....

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Speaking of the M4...why is there 2 of them in the Engineer class?

The "M4" and the "M4A1" and I can't tell the difference between them....

M4A1 is full auto... I think the M4 is single/burst iirc.

Top Bottom